Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Isn’t McMurphy a statutory rapist, or am I imagining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Torquemada posted:

Isn’t McMurphy a statutory rapist, or am I imagining it.

quote:

She was fifteen years old, going on thirty-five, Doc, and she told me she was eighteen, she was very willing, I practically had to take to sewing my pants shut.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I got around to watching that new Chip n Dale movie. If you shut off the parts of your brain screaming about nostalgia cash ins and “Jesus gently caress the state of media IP ownership is dire” it’s a really fun little ride with tons of little nods and gags in the background.

One thing I’d love to know is if Movie Sonic was intended to be there the whole time or if it was a sub in for another character. It’s been long enough since the first movie that the timelines likely line up but it seems like it would be pretty close to get that planned and implemented.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Warbird posted:

One thing I’d love to know is if Movie Sonic was intended to be there the whole time or if it was a sub in for another character. It’s been long enough since the first movie that the timelines likely line up but it seems like it would be pretty close to get that planned and implemented.

There were a couple interviews with the director about him, and it definitely sounds like he wasn't a sub-in; for as long as that character was in the movie, it was always that character. And apparently it wasn't an easy swing to get him (as you can imagine), he was legitimately thanking the lawyers for that one.

There was at least one instance of a character sub-in, and the director was open about it in interviews, so reasonably no, the one you're talking about wasn't. Apparently the idea for the villain was always going to be essentially a dark take on a child star, but the first idea was a grown-up Charlie Brown. It turns out Peter Pan was a much easier direction for that, although I'm not sure how much they knew that the backstory they gave Peter Pan was almost exactly the same story that happened to the original voice actor for Peter Pan, which kinda makes the joke less funny and more sad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, that explains the ear gag a bit more then. I’m not sure if I would have preferred that or what they ended up going with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

There were a couple interviews with the director about him, and it definitely sounds like he wasn't a sub-in; for as long as that character was in the movie, it was always that character. And apparently it wasn't an easy swing to get him (as you can imagine), he was legitimately thanking the lawyers for that one.

There was at least one instance of a character sub-in, and the director was open about it in interviews, so reasonably no, the one you're talking about wasn't. Apparently the idea for the villain was always going to be essentially a dark take on a child star, but the first idea was a grown-up Charlie Brown. It turns out Peter Pan was a much easier direction for that, although I'm not sure how much they knew that the backstory they gave Peter Pan was almost exactly the same story that happened to the original voice actor for Peter Pan, which kinda makes the joke less funny and more sad.

there's no way that was an accident

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does seem incredibly cruel when there were so many other options.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean that’s kind of the one of the core points of the movie and is the villain’s core motivation so may as well go hard in the paint.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Len posted:

there's no way that was an accident

I'm torn on if it was an accident or not. Because it does feel weirdly on-the-nose, but it's also, yeah, really cruel to take that angle intentionally for that reason. At the same time, though, it's also a very natural direction to take that character if you don't know.

If you're going for an angle of 'child actor gone wrong' in a movie like that, there's a lot of funny novelty choices, but the most feasible pick probably was Peter Pan, just because you run into less problems; you cast Charlie Brown in that role the Schultz estate won't really like it, but if you're making it for Disney then there's less people in your way if you're using a Disney character. Add to that the fact that Peter Pan's whole story is 'the boy who never grew up', suddenly he's a very natural pick for the role. And if you're picking a point in a male child actor's life where they suddenly become 'not marketable as a child actor'... you're going for 'when his voice drops', that's a natural pick, because you instinctively know that's something that happens. Unfortunately, all of those perfectly reasonable decisions in isolation leads you into accidentally giving your fictional 'first Peter Pan' the exact same horrible life events as the real-life first Peter Pan. Whoops.

Personally, I would've cast an actual ex-child star in the role instead of Will Arnett. There'd be an element of self-awareness that would go a long way if he were played by, like, Haley Joel Osment or Neil Patrick Harris.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I would have gone for someone older, Bill Mumy or Clint Howard or something.

Also: (spoilers for the new Chip and Dale movie)
Disney's ownership of Peter Pan is kind of tenuous. They don't own the character, full stop. The character is largely in the public domain in most places, but only fairly basic aspects derived from the novel. Elements that come from the play are NOT in the public domain. Aspects unique to the Disney movie are owned by Disney. In the UK, however, nothing related to Peter Pan is in the public domain and it probably never will be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I would have gone for someone older, Bill Mumy or Clint Howard or something.

Also: (spoilers for the new Chip and Dale movie)
Disney's ownership of Peter Pan is kind of tenuous. They don't own the character, full stop. The character is largely in the public domain in most places, but only fairly basic aspects derived from the novel. Elements that come from the play are NOT in the public domain. Aspects unique to the Disney movie are owned by Disney. In the UK, however, nothing related to Peter Pan is in the public domain and it probably never will be.

For the public domain stuff, Winnie the Pooh comes to mind; derivative works on the copyright on aspects and specific portrayals of that character specifically in THAT derivative work. If he's in a red shirt and yella, he's Disney owned, fella! Naked and brown, you're in public domain town.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I believe Tigger is wholly owned by Disney.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For the public domain stuff, Winnie the Pooh comes to mind; derivative works on the copyright on aspects and specific portrayals of that character specifically in THAT derivative work. If he's in a red shirt and yella, he's Disney owned, fella! Naked and brown, you're in public domain town.

Yeah, you're just in time for the announcement of a Winnie the Pooh slasher movie.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It's a goddamn cartoon for small children, and you have wasted your only life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Winnie the pooh is fun for all ages!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Warbird posted:

I got around to watching that new Chip n Dale movie. If you shut off the parts of your brain screaming about nostalgia cash ins and “Jesus gently caress the state of media IP ownership is dire” it’s a really fun little ride with tons of little nods and gags in the background.

They released storyboards that show at one point at least they'd considered Jar Jar Binks for the Ugly Sonic role.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you're just in time for the announcement of a Winnie the Pooh slasher movie.

You know what's disturbing about that? A few years back, when Disney started pushing their Duffy Bear heavily, my wife and I started joking about if Winnie the Pooh would turn into a slasher villain over that. Come on loveable pooh turned psycho...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Zebulon posted:

They released storyboards that show at one point at least they'd considered Jar Jar Binks for the Ugly Sonic role.

That would have been a better call imo. US is a interesting get but that cultural inflection point is already fading away (though I suspect that’s the point). Fukkin JarJar is eternal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Warbird posted:

That would have been a better call imo. US is a interesting get but that cultural inflection point is already fading away (though I suspect that’s the point). Fukkin JarJar is eternal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the voice actor for Jar Jar, who received a poo poo ton of actual hate mail over the role, declined to participate.

I wouldn't blame him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

gleebster posted:

It's a goddamn cartoon for small children, and you have wasted your only life.

I mean yeah but that would also be true if I only watched really clever art movies so who gives a gently caress

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rachel Bloom posted a picture of her reading a draft of Rescue Rangers (her husband cowrote it) on the set of the first season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which is at least seven years ago, so they probably had a few characters cycle in and out based on what companies Disney owned and who the lawyers could cut deals with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I watched it last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Especially since every "Let's jam a bunch of IPs together" film since the first Lego movie has been torture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I watched it last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Especially since every "Let's jam a bunch of IPs together" film since the first Lego movie has been torture.

Wreck-It Ralph got away with it by filing off a few serial numbers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wreck-It-Ralph 2, however, absolutely did not.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I thought the first Wreck-It Ralph was before the first Lego Movie, that one was good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason I thought the first Wreck-It Ralph was before the first Lego Movie, that one was good.

It wasn't? Seems like it was ages ago (it's about ten years, I think). I thought the Lego movie came out after that?

Edit: wreck it ralph, 2012. Lego Movie, 2014.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's what I meant. Wreck-It Ralph was before the Lego Movie, and every similar movie since the first Lego Movie has been varying degrees of awful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crikey. Lego Movies feel like they've been around forever, and I thought WIR was 2015 or thereabouts.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Probably because of the 100 games based on movies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I feel like the thing that makes the Lego Movie feel older might be that it's basically the last movie that cast Chris Pratt as a comedic actor and not an action/dramatic one.

It's kinda weird how you can draw the line pretty much EXACTLY after the Lego Movie, too. It's Lego, then there's Guardians of the Galaxy, and with the exception of Parks and Rec wrapping up and a single guest spot on Mom it's ALL actions and dramas until you hit the in-production Mario and Garfield movies.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Since this has become general thread for things you like about movies/tv, and not just suble ones, I'm just gonna post this here.

A while back I discovered For All Mankind and I'm absolutely loving it. It's one of those rare alt-history stories that stays fairly grounded and while there's plenty to gripe about overall it's been a very exciting and fun show. If you can suspend your disbelief enough (which is pretty easy for me) it's a hell of a ride.

The one aspect that makes it so is that it doesn't shy away from skipping time, like at all. Because it's about space travel and NASA and poo poo it's inescapable that some things take years or even decades to accomplish, and they just do it. Of course the downside is that they have to age characters and that's kind of hit or miss, but goddamn it feels good to have one episode set up an exciting thing to happen half a decade later and boom, two episodes and that thing happens.

It's like the polar opposite of DBZ where they tell you the big energy ball is going to hit the planet in 20 minutes and 5 episodes later it's only half way. In For All Mankind say they're going to do *thing* and in the story it'll take months or years but the next episode they're there doing it because gently caress it, that's what y'all wanna see so we're gonna give it.

Also space is loving terrifying and they really nail that. Some genuine horrifying moments where I get a visceral response and I'm practically gasping for air just watching it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In Top Gun: Maverick noted illiterate Thomas Cruise flies an aircraft called a “Hornet”. This is actually based on an aircraft of the same name flown by the real world US Navy (the organization the one in the movie is based off of).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Warbird posted:

by the real world US Navy (the organization the one in the movie is based off of).

How could there be an actual organization that specializes in murder and destruction for the mere sake of murder and destruction??

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How could there be an actual organization that specializes in murder and destruction for the mere sake of murder and destruction??

Please.

It's called "homeland defense" now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Scream (1996)

In the opening scene of the movie, Casey has rented two horror movies, one of which is Halloween.

Later, at the party at Stu's house, the movie they're watching is Halloween. It just struck me that this is a clue to Stu being the killer - he could have taken the tape from Casey's house when he and Billy killed her.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i was watching You Were Never Really Here which has a ton of subtle details & i just wanna call out to the sound design: it is excellent

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Wreck-It-Ralph 2, however, absolutely did not.

I despise this movie moreso than even the Emoji Movie, because Wreck-It Ralph is one of my favorite movies ever.

But that said, there is a logical reasoning behind Vannelope being allowed/permitted to go Turbo in the second movie: she's a Disney princess, and Disney princesses always get what they want, and it never hurts anyone else. Logically we know otherwise, but in Disneyverse, it is as real as any law.

Rewatching WIR, I like the foreshadowing of Turbo and the twist. In later disney movies, like Shamaylan's movies, we know the villain will be a twist, but in WIR, it was done very well. King Candy demanding to know if Ralph has gone Turbo/come to take over his game, the fact King Candy is the only adult in a game of kids racing, etc.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just watched Halloween H20. Janet Leigh has a small part and when she drives off in an old car a few notes of the Psycho theme play.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I adore Felix in the first WiR movie. He could so easily have been awful but he's such a sweetheart. Good choice imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Tore through some Edgar Wright yesterday with my best friend because he'd never seen any of his work except Scott Pilgrim; after watching Hot Fuzz and World's End again (wasn't in the mood for zombies) I'm standing by my opinion that Wright is the guy I'm forever going to reference when I talk about setup and payoff in film. Every example has been in this thread before but the tiny details and the stylization and the over the top effects and dozens of little callbacks wrapping everything up neatly and being supremely relevant to the way things end up is just :discourse: