Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Big beautiful liters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo

"When used to denote a volume, 1 bbl is exactly equivalent to 42-U.S. gallons and is easily converted to any other unit of volume. A volume of 1 bbl is exactly equivalent to a volume of 158.987294928 liters."

Bing bong so simple why can't you do it in your head you loving idiot

lightpole fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 16, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When you’re dealing with oil cargo the commercial boys love barrels because their sales contracts are in barrels. For reasons.

Meanwhile when you have an MBA running a shipping company you get reports about vessel fuel consumption in litres.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

unless you’re dealing with beer where a barrel is 31 gal

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

When you’re dealing with oil cargo the commercial boys love barrels because their sales contracts are in barrels. For reasons.

This is because early oil drillers used standard barrels (like literally the kind used for whiskey or shooting fish in) for transportation and it stuck around.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

psydude posted:

This is because early oil drillers used standard barrels (like literally the kind used for whiskey or shooting fish in) for transportation and it stuck around.

Hope they didn't alternate uses

Then again it couldn't make whiskey taste any worse

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

aphid_licker posted:

Just buy Evan Williams. It's good for how cheap it is and no one will bitch if you mix it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Meanwhile when you have an MBA running a shipping company you get reports about vessel fuel consumption in litres.

Hey let me take a second and convert these metric tons into LITERALLY loving ANYTHING by moving this decimal

Also tankers are trash gently caress oil cargo

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

aphid_licker posted:

This really ought to be a bannable offense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Hey let me take a second and convert these metric tons into LITERALLY loving ANYTHING by moving this decimal

Also tankers are trash gently caress oil cargo

I've entirely made the switch to using metric now, but the only thing I can't get away from is cups for dry measurement. poo poo is just so damned convenient.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

McNally posted:

This really ought to be a bannable offense.

Relax, he was probably talking about Irish whiskey.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rust Martialis posted:

Relax, he was probably talking about Irish whiskey.

Double banned

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The imperial system is so loving stupid, so of course, it's what we (USA) use

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's whiskey in the imperial system and whisky in metric, so in America we call it "bourbon" or "corn liquor" or "fuel ethanol" so this metaphor makes perfect sense and I can understand the confusion

E: shut up in advance there, Scotland

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

Double banned

Woah woah woah there man. I'm sure they were just taking about jack daniels. Talk about a piss poor liqour

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

It's whiskey in the imperial system and whisky in metric, so in America we call it "bourbon" or "corn liquor" or "fuel ethanol" so this metaphor makes perfect sense and I can understand the confusion

E: shut up in advance there, Scotland

This rye erasure will not stand. I demand satisfaction (in the form of a Sazerac, old fashioned, or boulevardier).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

psydude posted:

I've entirely made the switch to using metric now, but the only thing I can't get away from is cups for dry measurement. poo poo is just so damned convenient.

Metric or imperial cups? Cause 250ml is both convenient and fairly easy to convert.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Metric or imperial cups? Cause 250ml is both convenient and fairly easy to convert.

Cups is more of an American thing, in the UK it's pints & ounces if they still swing Imperial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A.o.D. posted:

This rye erasure will not stand. I demand satisfaction (in the form of a Sazerac, old fashioned, or boulevardier).

Try a Susquehanna

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Don't dry measure in volume please. Also it's rye whiskey and buddy you better believe it's not erased.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

My man.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The imperial system is so loving stupid, so of course, it's what we (USA) use

The US doesn’t use imperial.

Anyway, English/US standard/Imperial are very human measures.

A handful, a double handful, the amount in the cup of your palm, a fingers width, the distance between two knuckles, the size of your foot, the distance of a step, the distance of a 15 minute walk at a brisk pace and etc…

They are intuitive and easily understood and extrapolated without any outside references or measures. What it’s not is precise.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 16, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Soul Dentist posted:

Don't dry measure in volume please. Also it's rye whiskey and buddy you better believe it's not erased.

For cakes and things, sure. But hell if I'm busting out the scale just to make a quick batch of pancakes.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Cups is more of an American thing, in the UK it's pints & ounces if they still swing Imperial.

Nah there are definitely recipes measured in cups in both the UK and the Commonwealth (Australia, South Africa, etc). But the cups are 250ml instead of the 240ml (237ml?) American ones.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

psydude posted:

once you start baking with a scale you'll never understand how you lived any other way

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

For cakes and things, sure. But hell if I'm busting out the scale just to make a quick batch of pancakes.

Nah there are definitely recipes measured in cups in both the UK and the Commonwealth (Australia, South Africa, etc). But the cups are 250ml instead of the 240ml (237ml?) American ones.

Strange... i seem to have totally sidestepped "cups" as a unit of measurement throughout my life. :confused:

I grew up using ounces, pounds and stones, never once use cups as a unit of measurement and then when i started in catering it was the same plus grams & kilos for some spicy confusion.

Only noticed them being used in the last decade really. :)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I think because a metric pint is bigger than an american pint by 0.9l?

And why is a british pint 20oz instead of 16? loving island full of contrarians.

I only picked up using grams because of weed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo

"When used to denote a volume, 1 bbl is exactly equivalent to 42-U.S. gallons and is easily converted to any other unit of volume. A volume of 1 bbl is exactly equivalent to a volume of 158.987294928 liters."

Bing bong so simple why can't you do it in your head you loving idiot

Then wtf is a 44 gallon drum, I thought that was the standard size, now its 42?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Also lmao

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Room for expansion under heat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

US vs Imperial.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

2 gallons worth of expansion? WTF is being shipped?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

I think one of the common elements of a European kitchen is that a scale and a graduated cylinder are generally already at hand. Or alternatively you can just estimate by eye. The idea is basically that if something is worth measuring, it's worth measuring correctly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oil?

If you've been baking or cooking a while you develop a good sense of measurement. Cooking is an art though, baking is a science.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

shame on an IGA posted:

once you start baking with a scale you'll never understand how you lived any other way

because baking is a science, cooking is an art.

10% too much flour and you made a rock.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah i just have a $10 digi scale on my counter, it's like the exact same amount of work as measuring

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My digital weed scale basically became my kitchen scale after moving to Colorado and not having to weigh poo poo just to double check my dealer's work.

Grams is the way to weigh.

Rust Martialis posted:

because baking is a science, cooking is an art.

10% too much flour and you made a rock.

Mmmm. Tasty rocks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I want everyone to use food scales if only so I never have to talk to another person who swears that they eat enough protein until I see that what they're calling a 60g protein meal is literally 10g of protein.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

You guys cook? I'm bachelor as hell.
Also, what generally goes in a Ukrainian MRE? I've seen a pic of one before, and it seems to be way better than whatever the gently caress the Russians give their troops (eg. practically IOU stamps at this point lol).

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Also, what generally goes in a Ukrainian MRE? I've seen a pic of one before, and it seems to be way better than whatever the gently caress the Russians give their troops (eg. practically IOU stamps at this point lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I spent 5 years cooking in bars. I still buy simple garbage food for the toaster oven or microwave at home.

Got a nice lamb shoulder cut today on clearance though, because sometimes it's nice to have a treat.