Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

This seems relevant to earlier conversations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAnFMb1aoo

Edit: Grudges settled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smF6u98YKc

Dwarves look like they are still able to do some work, you just need to know what you're doing with them.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shumagorath posted:

I'm catching up from dozens of pages back. Where are the patch notes you're referring to?

There are no patch notes, these are the observations of the streamers who have access to Immortal Empires custom battles (but not the campaign).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Bretonnia could use a CRUSADE mechanic, (I may have played a bunch of CK3 recently) to install vassal nations across the sea. Or maybe to beat up the high elves on their donut.

I'm 100% on board with instilling the Lady's Justice globally

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How do you guys recommend going about doing the 10 military alliances achievement? I finished a Kislev game a while back, and I'm at 7/10. I ended up uniting all of Kislev doing the supporter race and getting the cities needed to activate the Boris battle, so that's turns out to be a problem. I think I exhausted all my options with Empire and Dwarfs, so that leaves me with Cathay and some weirder options. I don't have any allies in Cathay yet. It looks like it's all been taken over by the two dragon siblings. I've not given them any reason to dislike me at lease. After that there's Greasus or some rogue army composed of Cathays that seems amenable to a NAP at least.

Think Cathay and their ability to uncover the map using caravans might be better? Should I just wait for IE?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm 100% on board with instilling the Lady's Justice globally

That's why I love the new Alberic start, so many new enemies to fight for the Lady! It's also not that far away from the sea lanes. Trounce Luthor Harkon, and then you can send an expedition to cross the Isthmus of Lustria, and you're off to Cathay or Naggaroth.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Torrannor posted:

That's why I love the new Alberic start, so many new enemies to fight for the Lady! It's also not that far away from the sea lanes. Trounce Luthor Harkon, and then you can send an expedition to cross the Isthmus of Lustria, and you're off to Cathay or Naggaroth.

Did they ever make Alberic more interesting? I seem to recall he was one of those lords who was kind of boring but at least his home city had a kickass landmark building.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr Christmas posted:

How do you guys recommend going about doing the 10 military alliances achievement? I finished a Kislev game a while back, and I'm at 7/10. I ended up uniting all of Kislev doing the supporter race and getting the cities needed to activate the Boris battle, so that's turns out to be a problem. I think I exhausted all my options with Empire and Dwarfs, so that leaves me with Cathay and some weirder options. I don't have any allies in Cathay yet. It looks like it's all been taken over by the two dragon siblings. I've not given them any reason to dislike me at lease. After that there's Greasus or some rogue army composed of Cathays that seems amenable to a NAP at least.

Think Cathay and their ability to uncover the map using caravans might be better? Should I just wait for IE?

It's very likely easier in IE. Play as Tyrion, and it won't be hard to develop good relations with all those other HElves. Use influence to avoid them fighting each other, which will probably be a bit easier overall with N'Kari in the picture. It shouldn't be too difficult to get at least 5 allies out of the donut. Then use your unparalleled scouting abilities through HE trade espionage to find other factions to ally with. Like your brother, at least one lizardmen faction, possibly some Bretonnians or Imperials.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 16, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really, really want to field Slaaneshi flankers with a Chaos Warrior/Chosen frontline. That is like... the most OP hammer and anvil out there. Holy poo poo. The only thing more busted might be Ironbreakers with Crushers or Demigryphs with Halberds or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Did they ever make Alberic more interesting? I seem to recall he was one of those lords who was kind of boring but at least his home city had a kickass landmark building.

They didn't in WH2, but it's possible that CA made some small adjustments for WH3. And I wouldn't be surprised by an FLC ALberic overhaul down the road.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

This seems relevant to earlier conversations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAnFMb1aoo

Dwarves look like they are still able to do some work, you just need to know what you're doing with them.

He didn't show the stats once during the entire video just like no ones shown skaven yet haha wonder why.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gonkish posted:

I really, really want to field Slaaneshi flankers with a Chaos Warrior/Chosen frontline. That is like... the most OP hammer and anvil out there. Holy poo poo. The only thing more busted might be Ironbreakers with Crushers or Demigryphs with Halberds or something.

Grail Knights and.... mmmm..... Ironbreakers? Lothern Sea Guard?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

HElves. Use influence to avoid them fighting each other, which will probably be a bit easier overall with Nakai in the picture.
Nakai starts in Cathay now though?

edit: Oh you probably meant N'Kari.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Nakai starts in Cathay now though?

edit: Oh you probably meant N'Kari.

Duh, yes I do. Thanks for once again pointing out my mistake.

One thing I've missed before is that there will be a not-Panama Canal. So if you are Morathi, and are crushing Alberic with the help of your Black Ark, you don't need to sail around all of Lustria to send your ark to Cathay, for example.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Torrannor posted:

One thing I've missed before is that there will be a not-Panama Canal. So if you are Morathi, and are crushing Alberic with the help of your Black Ark, you don't need to sail around all of Lustria to send your ark to Cathay, for example.

I wonder if that will be a controlled settlement? I remember getting a Civilization game where I was able to occupy the only one-hex division between two oceans and it felt extremely good to be the arbiter of passage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

lol, uhh, have I done that before? I was genuinely confused at the time and only realized after. I'm married to an editor so I've learned to watch for the little details :shepface:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I want more landmarks everywhere, I want places with weird or crazy names to have special buildings galore.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I feel like at least with the High Elves they might just want to entirely rethink what martial prowess/mastery should be like. The way it currently works is just kind of bad, they have a smallish boost to their stats when their HP is above 50 %, but elves somehow have pretty low HP across the board, so it's like almost always a bonus you lose quickly and your units' performance drops.

Funnily enough, in this Milkancookies vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncm4aURzw8), starring Imrik vs. Miao Ying, he mentions that martial prowess/mastery now deactivates at 25% hp or less, not 50% or less! This is another sign to me that most or even all WH1 and WH2 factions got at least some rework for Immortal Empires.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Giving this game another run through as Slaanesh and having fun. Grabbing hearts still sucks poo poo and I'm falling behind but confident I've still got this. Money is no issue as 90% of the map are now my vassals after I realised I can force vassalise them with my seductiveness. That took me wayy longer to realise and I had to look it up to work it out. The Ice Court is dicking me hard though. They're my best customers and I like having Ice Guard in all my armies but I was naively hoping they would chill on the quest for Daemon hearts. Instead they insist on jumping into every realm I'm in and snatching it at the last second. They've done me over like 3 times now and I'm getting pissed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Funnily enough, in this Milkancookies vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ncm4aURzw8), starring Imrik vs. Miao Ying, he mentions that martial prowess/mastery now deactivates at 25% hp or less, not 50% or less! This is another sign to me that most or even all WH1 and WH2 factions got at least some rework for Immortal Empires.

Okay, I guess that's alright, though really when you think about it, if you've gotten to that point where it's lost at below 25% HP, you might as well just boost their stats in general and come up with something a bit more interesting for Martial Mastery.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol, uhh, have I done that before? I was genuinely confused at the time and only realized after. I'm married to an editor so I've learned to watch for the little details :shepface:

I certainly have. It doesn't help that both of them like going out there and meeting new friends.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TaintedBalance posted:

Turin talks about how dwarf viability is very map dependent in domination mode, where they're terrible on big maps and pretty decent on small maps. Basically if you're allowed to force your opponent to have to peel the dwarf onion then you're in a good spot, if they can constantly avoid engaging your main force then you have no real answer at all.

Hell, while Turin absolutely puts on a good show here as always, his opponent basically feeds himself into Turin's gunpowder line while mostly ignoring the flank points until the very end instead of loading up the flanks and forcing Turin to make ugly army split decisions which would leave either his line infantry unsupported or his guns unprotected.

From a straight up "are dwarfs still able to win fights pound for pound" perspective, yeah, guns and armor are still good.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Dwarves continue to be very good when fighting on their own terms. The problem is that they don't have very good tools to force their opponents to fight on their terms: the Dawi have poor mobility, and while they have excellent ranged they don't have the longest range. Anyone who can out-skirmish or out-range them is a problem, and it turns out that almost everyone can do at least one of those. Cathay has a very similar issue, although for them it's less that they can't out-range everyone and more that they really struggle to protect their long-range tools (especially against cheap flyers, which all the Demon factions have - hence why Cathay continually underperforms). The High Elves are different, their issue is that they're an "elite" army. All their units cost more, but but that just means their low- and mid-tier units are so outnumbered that they get flanked and die without trading well... while their high-tier units are actually just not worth the cost since they're really not better than their counterparts whatsoever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Chorfs are very artillery heavy aren't they? Sounds like they'd pound Dwarfs without too much trouble?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They have everything regular dwarfs have (artillery, heavy infantry and guns) and everything they don't: magic, chaff, cav, monsters and monstruous infantry

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Where dwarfs get gyros, chorfs get bull centaurs

where dwarfs get guns, chorfs get shot guns

where dwarfs get cannons, chorfs get a daemon where they put things into its anus

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Feed me, seymor!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Guessing Chorfs won't have as reliable access to heavy infantry though and rely more on their Greenskin slave legions early game. And sounds like less of a traditional gunline?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dwarfs have cannons and standard ranged guns; I can't remember how Deathshriekers perform against single targets, but as far as I can tell, the edge Dwarf ranged has over Chaos Dwarf ranged is that they have the accuracy and raw range needed to neutralize the deadliest elements of a Chaos Dwarf gunline before they can be brought to bear.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope CA someday adds a 'Poke the Bear" button because I've been ready to just finish this campaign for hours now and there are just so many turns between roars (playing as Iron Dragon and had everything maxed since the third soul). What's the fewest amount of turns you can finish a campaign in?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Azran posted:

They have everything regular dwarfs have (artillery, heavy infantry and guns) and everything they don't: magic, chaff, cav, monsters and monstruous infantry

They probably won't have the same access to normal decent range missile infantry as the dwarfs do. Blunderbuses are probably going to have a very similar range profile to Cathay's ironhail gunners, and IIRC back in the old days they didn't field crossbows or handguns, though they did have hobgoblin archers (though that'd be pretty low quality and low AP I'm pretty sure), so that's an area they very probably will (and IMO should) come up short (heh) against the regular old Dwarfs.

Mordja posted:

Guessing Chorfs won't have as reliable access to heavy infantry though and rely more on their Greenskin slave legions early game. And sounds like less of a traditional gunline?

My guess is probably there is gonna be a Chorf T1 unit, though I think the ideal situation to differentiate them from the Dwarfs (aside from the differences in their ranged options, which I now realize I'm the third to point out), would be to not give them easy access to a dwarf warrior or miner type unit, instead making their "regular" chaos dwarf infantry more of a longbeards role, expensive, good stats and maybe some AOE LD buff, intended to shore up their greenskin chaff line.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 17, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

Feed me, seymor!

is that a ballsack? what am i looking at?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

I got it. I offered to declare war at some chaos factions that I hadn’t met, and that really juiced my diplomacy with the dragon siblings. My 10th was the Lizardmen in the Dragon Isles in the map’s southeast corner. I used a rift to teleport there, took a ruined city on the coast that was part of the same province, and was able to trade it for a military alliance a couple turns after meeting them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

is that a ballsack? what am i looking at?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Arbite posted:

I really hope CA someday adds a 'Poke the Bear" button because I've been ready to just finish this campaign for hours now and there are just so many turns between roars (playing as Iron Dragon and had everything maxed since the third soul). What's the fewest amount of turns you can finish a campaign in?

120-ish for killing Belakor, the roars aren't perfectly uniform.

Domination victory as Skarbrand on easy/easy took me 65 turns to eliminate the last non-realms faction, maybe add 10-ish turns of waiting for things to get settled for the entire map to be red.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Apparently the Lizardmen Primal Instincts thing no longer causes them to rampage. The feral units being the exception to this (so like feral stegadons will still do that, but cold one riders or saurus warriors won't). Applies to DE cold one cavalry, too.

Well that's good! I really like the DE cold one units, coolest thing in the faction for me. But I am very aware they're not the 'optimal' choice.

I am playing a Taurox campaign for the first time as a sort of IE hype run. Is it considered best to raise herdstones in major settlements, or does it make no difference at all, just pick based on location and/or opportunity? Also, is there a consensus on the best things to spend your Dread on at the start? I obviously want some more Minotaurs pretty sharpish.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Race-Capital versions of herdstones give you bonuses, but they're really minor, not worth going out of your way for IMO. Just pick places that'll maximise the Ruin or Calamity or whatever those points are called.

Be warned that the bonuses to recruitment-level do NOT affect the other Legendary Lords.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I am disappointed and befuddled on CA decision to turn destruction factions like Chaos into settled factions. They should be destroying, not building.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

counterpoint: hordes suck

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I like the new Beastman way of doing it. You could sub out stones for fortresses easily enough. Also I might be wrong, but I don't think all chaos forces are wrecking balls in the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
If I understood correctly, WoC will function a bit like Wood Elves in that there are some locations where they can build bigger cities but otherwise are locked to small settlements around them.