Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Just make sure to place a hide button somewhere on the drawer network and keep it toggled whenever you aren't messing with it directly. Big networks can cause some rendering lag if it's left visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok so not many more level emiters :/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was playing single player and had no issues with emitters, I think people suggest not to use them on servers but I think it'd be better to put a round number of on it, if I had to guess I'd say I had maybe 30 total? The first dozen are really, really useful to use IMO, there are just some things that make it really convenient, like using level emitter pointing at export bus for dispatching microminers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had some on that Actually Additions empowering laser thing to throttle dumping raw ingredients into the world. Each of the different products had level emitters controlling import of their base ingredient. The other place I used them was on blast furnace metals that had to go through the vacuum freezer. If I had just a storage drawer dedicated to the final ingot, that wouldn't stop the system from making more and flooding storage with them. The separation between the furnace step and the freezing step disassociated all that since I had a general-purpose vacuum freezer area. If I had dedicated freezers to each of those furnaces, I could have put a drawer at the end of it and it would eventually stop.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I am ashamed to say I never got the destruction/creation planes working properly for the first 3/4ths of the game so I ended up hand-crafting all the AA stuff until I was actually forced to get it working post-tank.

I did have one on every single dedicated EBF though and used that to maintain ingot levels.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just sent the AA stuff into a precision dropper that AA had and it had a corresponding thing to suck them back up. I specifically looked through the mod's own stuff on the assumption that would have been most kosher.

Of course, given that it's dropping crap into the world, I did have a bad time near the end when a 2x6 area of all this got absolutely flooded with stuff and I kept losing the connection. Naturally, I had screwed up the emitter logic.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I havent logged in today yet.

I have to completely upgrade my pulsation clay thingy. Im thinking MV as im not really able to just crank out HV stuff yet.

Just before bed last night i did like a base check, where i check that everything is running fine.

O
M
Gawwwwd

I didnt have the redstone card in the import bus on my Diamond loot fabricator, or on my Ender pearl loot fabricator.

So i had 10k diamonds on a disk, and about 5k ender pearls.

My power was just about the shut down, and i was on my last polymer clay.

I need to figure out how to get stainless steel as easy as aluminium :/

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I segmented my DML setup so I have the polymer clay section that first feeds itself and includes the endermen and shulker machines needed to make all the clay and power I need. Then excess polymer clay overflows into the rest of my DML setup which has each product feed into a drawer and then the controller has a storage bus on it. Then everything can just run and you don't need any emitters or logic at all since once the drawers are full the fabricators stop. And since the polymer clay is self sustaining and self powering first you don't need to worry about any of it running too much and draining everything.

For stainless steel I think it's a bit before you an get unlimited chrome but if you make the vertical digger and 3 boosters you can mine a big area. Plop it on top of a redstone vein and the ruby in it will keep you going for a while.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Seeing of the talk about GTNH/Nomifactory really makes me feel like I should try going more and more complex with my recipes out of some semblance of realism even though that's not really supposed to be the focus, heh.

I've already deviated far from the initial concept whiich was 'basically Regrowth in space' but I haven't quite gone Greg yet. I have added Extended Crafting and multiblocks to try to add a bit more complexity above the ol' 3x3 though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

LtSmash posted:

I segmented my DML setup so I have the polymer clay section that first feeds itself and includes the endermen and shulker machines needed to make all the clay and power I need. Then excess polymer clay overflows into the rest of my DML setup which has each product feed into a drawer and then the controller has a storage bus on it. Then everything can just run and you don't need any emitters or logic at all since once the drawers are full the fabricators stop. And since the polymer clay is self sustaining and self powering first you don't need to worry about any of it running too much and draining everything.

For stainless steel I think it's a bit before you an get unlimited chrome but if you make the vertical digger and 3 boosters you can mine a big area. Plop it on top of a redstone vein and the ruby in it will keep you going for a while.

I just made the drill, The vertical miner was next on my list to make. Ill beeline to that. How much rf does it chew through?

And manganese i have some, but not unlimited. What should i be looking for to get that? im sure pyrolusite doesnt exist in the world. I found a small bit of olivine.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

I just made the drill, The vertical miner was next on my list to make. Ill beeline to that. How much rf does it chew through?

And manganese i have some, but not unlimited. What should i be looking for to get that? im sure pyrolusite doesnt exist in the world. I found a small bit of olivine.

I think its 600 rf/block mined. I made an energy cell that I stick down next to it so I don't need to worry about piping energy to it and it lasts a while before needing to be refilled. Its nowhere near enough to put a dent in post DML power production. I pair it with ender chests to dump the ore into my ME network and that way the setup itself is very easy to move.

I think I got most of my manganese from spessartine but I've kind of forgotten which is unfortunate since I'm running low. Again if you find a vein of something the digger will take care of it while you worry about other stuff.

Edit: Pyrolusite does spawn its just rare-ish so you might need to explore and scan a bit.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 15, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't remember the post-scarcity step for stainless steel just off the top of my head because that was a long time back at this point. Generally, look at the dusts involved and the recipes that produce them and you'll catch a few surprises. Sometimes you have to look at the smaller dusts too. I think for chrome that you just do something with a bunch of redstone (just electrolyze a pile of it?). I know I had something that was making manganese for me but that's a complete loss in my head.

I need to get a backup of my world locally before the server goes down so I can check this stuff.

Edit: Something that had helped me a few times was searching materials by their periodic table letters. So Cr for chrome and Mn for manganese. Stuff with those elements in their subtext can give you that material in a process that usually ends with electrolysis.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah i have/had over 5k of the small(tiny maybe?) maganese dust from ...... something.

Im making a wall of drawers for ingots and processed stuff now so i dont have a billion level emitters.

And i always find something i missed. Just managed to catch that i hadnt put the alloy smelter on my circuit line.... so i had made it, and thought i made extra :/

oh well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

started nomifactory having stalled out at HV in omnifactory, and have spent most of my time trying to find somewhere i want to build. my last place was a big platform i built out over an ocean but i'm having poor luck this time through

there was some gated progression modpack a while ago called Ages of Engineering, back when Actually Additions was new, that gave you an easily-craftable portal to a perfectly flat, always-sunny plain of grass blocks. i miss that

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

started nomifactory having stalled out at HV in omnifactory, and have spent most of my time trying to find somewhere i want to build. my last place was a big platform i built out over an ocean but i'm having poor luck this time through

there was some gated progression modpack a while ago called Ages of Engineering, back when Actually Additions was new, that gave you an easily-craftable portal to a perfectly flat, always-sunny plain of grass blocks. i miss that

The void dimension cake does exactly that. You have to build it out though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Yeah, those are nice. There's one of those in GTNH too but it's unlocked at IV.

They actually recently replaced the mod that creates those superflat worlds with something that lets you configure e.g. how high the superflat world is and so on. It's a completely new 1.7.10 mod that's only a month or two old, too, which is something that still shocks me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

The void dimension cake does exactly that. You have to build it out though.

Actually there's a quest in the log that'll give you one for free an over world cake to go back too, repeatable every hour.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

socialsecurity posted:

Actually there's a quest in the log that'll give you one for free an over world cake to go back too, repeatable every hour.

Oh I meant that you have to build the platform out. :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Lost Dimensions has quite a decent customization setup if you want to make your own maps that then also have all the ores. I personally used a self-modded version of the floating spheres for use on peaceful. Just requires editing their individual config files.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So I've mostly been an Enigmatica 2: Expert player for a while now, but I've recently been dipping my toes into Nomifactory and FTB: Interactions, and I have a lot of fun with Gregtech's weird interlocking systems and such. But there's one thing about them I loving hate: Power generation. Both mods railroad you into a very narrow power generation progression in a way that I really dislike, and frequently I find that doing the next thing is stymied by the mod saying, "Nope, gently caress your generator, everything is locked until you make the next barely-sufficient thing". I prefer E2:E's multiple power generation systems that let you build multiple systems in parallel - I'll typically have Environmental solars, Mekanism wind/bioreactors/ethylene burners, an Extreme Reactor and a Mekanism fusion reactor all working in tandem together. Is there any Gregtech-based modpack that gives you a little more freedom in power generation, or should I just poke around with FTB:I/Nomifactory configs and mods to get a result I want? I'm pretty used to loving around with modpacks to get the experience I want, so I'm not a newbie to that.

Also anybody else primarily playing 1.12.2 mods who misses some of the 1.7.10 stuff? If I could bring Chromaticraft and Thaumcraft 4 forward to 1.12.2 I could build myself exactly the pack I want, but I know neither will ever happen.

/edit: I suppose un-nerfing Nuclearcraft's reactors could go a long way in making Nomifactory power gen less arduous.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 16, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They actually recently replaced the mod that creates those superflat worlds with something that lets you configure e.g. how high the superflat world is and so on. It's a completely new 1.7.10 mod that's only a month or two old, too, which is something that still shocks me.
Do you know the name of that mod?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Do you know the name of that mod?

https://github.com/GTNewHorizons/PersonalSpace

Definitely not on curseforge, though.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't remember the post-scarcity step for stainless steel just off the top of my head because that was a long time back at this point. Generally, look at the dusts involved and the recipes that produce them and you'll catch a few surprises. Sometimes you have to look at the smaller dusts too. I think for chrome that you just do something with a bunch of redstone (just electrolyze a pile of it?). I know I had something that was making manganese for me but that's a complete loss in my head.

I need to get a backup of my world locally before the server goes down so I can check this stuff.

Edit: Something that had helped me a few times was searching materials by their periodic table letters. So Cr for chrome and Mn for manganese. Stuff with those elements in their subtext can give you that material in a process that usually ends with electrolysis.

You can electrolyse redstone to get ruby dust that you can electrolyse for chrome. But its an MV level 144 second craft per ruby dust and you need 6 per redstone. So its technically infinite but to come close competing with vein mining a couple thousand ruby ore would take a lot of machines. Eventually it might be worth it but I have more urgent bad decisions to make while I hope that I'll stumble on a better solution.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
GTNH keeps nerfing poo poo, They changed it so large boilers can't use compressed coal coke, so you need a huge chest of regular coal coke continuously feeding into it instead of a few blocks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

GTNH keeps nerfing poo poo, They changed it so large boilers can't use compressed coal coke, so you need a huge chest of regular coal coke continuously feeding into it instead of a few blocks.

Large boilers? Aren't those noob traps anyway? You don't want to use steam past MV.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Large boilers? Aren't those noob traps anyway? You don't want to use steam past MV.

Correct. Ideally, you switch to light fuel 50-80% of the way through LV, steel supplies permitting. (Combustion generators use a lot of it.) Even the most conservative light fuel setup makes enough fuel to burn 10A LV continuously. Doing that with steam requires 12,800 mB/s of steam production and, more crucially, 25,600 mB/s of pipe throughput.

You can also limp along until MV and go the benzene route with wood tar, if the idea of nonrenewable oil makes you dissatisfied. There's also biodiesel in LV, but you need a lot of fish catchers and infra for that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LtSmash posted:

You can electrolyse redstone to get ruby dust that you can electrolyse for chrome. But its an MV level 144 second craft per ruby dust and you need 6 per redstone. So its technically infinite but to come close competing with vein mining a couple thousand ruby ore would take a lot of machines. Eventually it might be worth it but I have more urgent bad decisions to make while I hope that I'll stumble on a better solution.

If you're playing on a server, that'll run 600 times in a day and you can take it lazy-like. I reviewed my setup and saw I had something like 6 EV-tier electrolyzers just kind of doing that constantly. So yeah it's tedious, but it'll get you enough stainless steel to bump up the ore processing tier. I say it because I was looking over what I thought I did and it looks like I was just humming along with manganese byproducts from microminer mission ores.

As a fallback some of the manganese-focused ores are buyable with a few nickels, and MV tier should be enough to comfortably do a bunch of bulletin board quests if there was ever a shortage of coins.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're playing on a server, that'll run 600 times in a day and you can take it lazy-like.

I'm not. :negative: I've still got a couple running but its a drop in the bucket especially since its not 24/7. I guess I could look into setting up that free oracle server thing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't really imagine trying to beat Nomifactory solo on a home setup. For example, the end game involved something like a few million electrum foil. Yeah, I can make a few thousand in a minute, but it isn't easily going to be a ~1-2 daily kind of session having that humming along. I was stupid enough to have been playing it solo when I really should have had buddies.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Lol im doing it at home solo.

Its going to be a long take

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh I meant that you have to build the platform out. :v:

yeah that's the thing, really. it's not the biggest deal in the world but i've built and lit so many skyblock platforms...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Nomifactory is 100% playable on peaceful and, imo, is the best way to play it. Chill and build factories and only light what you want for aesthetics.

It also comes with a quick builder built right in - hold alt by default to bring up a big ol list which will let you build platforms (or whatever) really fast.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't really imagine trying to beat Nomifactory solo on a home setup. For example, the end game involved something like a few million electrum foil. Yeah, I can make a few thousand in a minute, but it isn't easily going to be a ~1-2 daily kind of session having that humming along. I was stupid enough to have been playing it solo when I really should have had buddies.

A few thousand in a minute, for a few million? That's 1000 minutes(assuming a few = a few), only 17 hours.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

A few thousand in a minute, for a few million? That's 1000 minutes(assuming a few = a few), only 17 hours.

But that same setup for a guy playing 2 hours a day means that instead of coming back the next day, you're coming back in a week to do the last craft

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're at endgame point just queue up a bunch more machines. Every problem can be solved by throwing more production at it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

But that same setup for a guy playing 2 hours a day means that instead of coming back the next day, you're coming back in a week to do the last craft

Just leave the game running overnight!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rynoto posted:

If you're at endgame point just queue up a bunch more machines. Every problem can be solved by throwing more production at it.

Isn't that the point of this discussion? That you have very different machine needs when you're a daily player who isn't sweaty enough to leave the computer on overnight. You'll tend to crank every blocking production up to 11, compared to someone playing on an always-up server, because you have essentially 10 times less passive income.

Edit: and that's annoying to need to do, I left unsaid

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im just dwadling around the end of MV atm.

Ive set up 1 line of HV machines but then look at the quests and realise i need to set 10 different systems for this 1 item. And i have no idea how much of this item i will need.

SO i can see why people bail at HV.

Then there is the looking for stuff.

Platnium.... yeah either buy it with coins or loot fabricate the plat coins i guess. But ive just got my simu/loot chambers running positive again, adding more means i need to just double my set up again. .... Its just 3 steps back, one forward

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Is there no platline in the *factory modpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the one item that's got you worried? I still have end game trauma and should be able to say.

Regarding platinum: there is some cute way to get some later on, but I would have to review it. I think it started from endstone.