Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Omne posted:

Quick paint question: we got a few quotes to paint the exterior of our home, one with PPG Permanizer and one with Benjamin Moore Regal. There's a ~$700 difference. I talked to my soon-to-be brother-in-law who works for PPG and he said there's no difference in paint, they're the same level, but I've also seen that dude eat four frozen pizzas in one sitting...

Both good products that'll do you right if done properly. Make sure your quotes are apples to apples in terms of prep, any repairs they're doing, etc. Especially here in FL with high UV exposure, the biggest problem I see with exterior paint not lasting is just not putting enough on. I'd take a generous application of a mid-grade paint over a pisscoat of the super premium stuff every day. When I had one of my paint contractor customers do my exterior a few years ago I asked him how much he thought he needed, bought that plus an extra 5, and told him to get as much of it on as he could manage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

gvibes posted:

After being able to grab replacement valves and fittings for my 25 year old faucets at any old home depot, for my house build I am thinking of just going with Moen due to everlasting and universal availability of replacement parts.

Yeah I mean I have no problem with Delta/Moen in general. And in fact that was one of my concerns, is that buying outside of the big box stores would end up with some smaller brand that I can't find parts for when something goes bad in 10 years.

I just don't trust that the stuff on display at LowesDepot is actually quality stuff... I was always under the impression that they were "exclusive" models that are the same list price as the typical models except they have a billion cost-cutting measures built in to them in order to boost the store's margin.

H110Hawk posted:

Go to a fixtures store. Tell them you want quality not luxury, something middle of the road. They will point you at a display of things and tell you to pick one. They will all be roughly the same price. You can probably be in and out in under 30 minutes assuming you know what you want and they don't have trouble finding it in the back.

Or go to the "other" aisle in LowesDepot. At least mine had an aisle where nothing exceeded $150 and another one where it was just double the price.

Is there a reputable online store for this sort of stuff? I don't trust google searches anymore, and I can't seem to find much in my area except for big box, chains, and "open to the public" contractor supply houses that stock builder grade junk. Also a bunch of kitchen/bath renovation places that are design/build showrooms, not retailers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I mean I have no problem with Delta/Moen in general. And in fact that was one of my concerns, is that buying outside of the big box stores would end up with some smaller brand that I can't find parts for when something goes bad in 10 years.

Quality stuff made out of real metal typically don't use fancy one off kinda things unless you're getting into the really high priced designer stuff. I've repaired Newport Brass stuff with nothing more than what you can find in a typical hardware store. If anything the big brands have gone all in on cartridges and poo poo that are specific to their brand and even more to specific models.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Is there a reputable online store for this sort of stuff? I don't trust google searches anymore, and I can't seem to find much in my area except for big box, chains, and "open to the public" contractor supply houses that stock builder grade junk. Also a bunch of kitchen/bath renovation places that are design/build showrooms, not retailers.

Build.com is a big name and has a pretty easy to navigate site but their customer service absolutely sucks rear end so I'll say use them to get an idea of available options, read reviews, etc then buy direct from the manufacturer or some other online retailer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

I just don't trust that the stuff on display at LowesDepot is actually quality stuff... I was always under the impression that they were "exclusive" models that are the same list price as the typical models except they have a billion cost-cutting measures built in to them in order to boost the store's margin.

You can basically weigh them and see. Look closely at the part numbers on various ones from the same brands, back of the box in smaller print. If you see "-HD" or whatever that's a bespoke built-to-bom-price model. You can also go to like Moen.com and they will tell you where to buy stuff. This is a $288 faucet which should mean it's fine for another 20 years. (It was the first one listed. This isn't a specific recommendation of that exact model.) If you find something you like, call a "open to the public" supply shop and ask if they stock moen model 6170 in <color>. If they don't they can probably order it for you and have it in 1-2 weeks.

https://www.moen.com/where-to-buy/Glyde-Chrome-one-handle-high-arc-bathroom-faucet/6170

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 15, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tater_salad posted:

I guess autocorrect changed my way of spelling Poisoning to Positioning.
All I need to know is that you didn’t edit it. Better human than me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Quality stuff made out of real metal typically don't use fancy one off kinda things unless you're getting into the really high priced designer stuff. I've repaired Newport Brass stuff with nothing more than what you can find in a typical hardware store. If anything the big brands have gone all in on cartridges and poo poo that are specific to their brand and even more to specific models.

Ugh. Fuckin’ Newport Brass. The only company that made the sink faucet that my wife wanted.

I bought four extra cartridges because of the river of poo poo that they made me wade through to get them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We have cedar siding with a lot of woodpecker damage.

Reading online, it seems like it might be due to insects or bugs. It could also be mating rituals and stuff, but who knows.

Who is the best person to call for this stuff? An exterminator or someone who deals with siding? And if it’s a siding guy, I’m guessing there are people who deal with regular aluminum siding and those who deal with cedar siding?

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 15, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Toaster Beef posted:

I've pretty much given up on ever truly getting rid of the tiny black ants around our house. They'll show up inside now and then, but we're very good about keeping our food sealed up and such so they mostly just wander around rather than actually going after anything (and they're killed on sight). They're everywhere outside, though. Base of every bush and tree, loving around in the shed, they're all over the place. The whole town is beset by 'em, so there's no point in going after them in our yard.

If you ever do want to go to war against ants, I won my battle against them at my last house. I backed up to a big greenbelt that was just teeming with ants, and they would get in the house looking for moisture. One day I woke my toddler son up and there were ants all over his crib and he had multiple ant bites on him. War was declared.

Talstar Granules in the yard, https://www.domyown.com/talstar-xtra-granular-insecticide-p-1434.html

Termidor SC around the perimeter of the house https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

Maxforce bait traps in the house in case some did make it in.

Termidor (Fipronil) is some strong poo poo, so read the instructions and maybe find a licensed pro if you're not comfortable using it. Also not sure where you live, so some of this stuff is restricted.

There are alternatives to Fipronil as well. Talstar (Bifenthrin) comes in a concentrated liquid you can use in a sprayer as well. The domyown website has other products as well.

I try to only treat the outside of my house, because if they can't get to the house they can't get in.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We live in a small country town, and bugs have been my personal crusade since my wife can't stand them. I've had good luck using Suspend SC (deltamethrin) at the highest concentration as an initial spring treatment, with followup half-strength treatments about every 6 weeks after. Perimeter of the house, around the ground floor doors and windows, and around the garage door outside. Definitely noticed this spring when I missed my window on the initial treatment, but it's gotten better since.

Mostly box elder bugs, "drain beetles" or whatever they actually are, and Asian lady beetles are our primary pests, and it knocks them down outside before they find their way into the house. I've tried to avoid anything inside because of kids and pets, and so far it's been good.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

phosdex posted:

Trying to decide what to do here. Is this extra bit here to help prop up the mirror or is it decorative?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm more worried about how that countertop is overhanging the toilet tank without much room to spare. I can imagine myself busting my knuckles trying to un-stick the flapper or the float or replace a broken chain etc.

Yes, the toilet in there now is about 28.5" tall. I have a Toto incoming that is 30" tall, I'm going to have to remove that part of the countertop.

I'm a little confused at this point though. If I want to get a new countertop, like a similar solid color formica top, where do I get that? Browsing homedepot.com, vanity tops seem to typically have a built-in sink. Do I go buy this from the kitchen section?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

phosdex posted:

Yes, the toilet in there now is about 28.5" tall. I have a Toto incoming that is 30" tall, I'm going to have to remove that part of the countertop.

I'm a little confused at this point though. If I want to get a new countertop, like a similar solid color formica top, where do I get that? Browsing homedepot.com, vanity tops seem to typically have a built-in sink. Do I go buy this from the kitchen section?

Search for laminate countertop. You'll have to cut your own hole in it. Not sure if the depth is the same from bathroom to kitchen.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Furnace/heat pump replacement chat

I was just quoted $20k for a gas furnace replacement and aircon install on a 1450 square foot house in the Seattle area. No duct retrofitting or anything required. The installer also told me that heat pumps, quote, can't heat if the outside temperature is below 40F, unquote, and so a gas furnace backup is going to be needed no matter what. This seems totally untrue since from what I've read very standard air-source heat pumps should be fine at any of the temperatures we regularly experience in this area for both heating and cooling as long as the capacity is right for the space and with some resistive electric space heating there shouldn't be a need for a gas backup. And that's a hell of a price tag. This guy just trying to gouge me?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The Oldest Man posted:

I was just quoted $20k for a gas furnace replacement and aircon install on a 1450 square foot house in the Seattle area. No duct retrofitting or anything required. The installer also told me that heat pumps, quote, can't heat if the outside temperature is below 40F, unquote, and so a gas furnace backup is going to be needed no matter what. This seems totally untrue since from what I've read very standard air-source heat pumps should be fine at any of the temperatures we regularly experience in this area for both heating and cooling as long as the capacity is right for the space and with some resistive electric space heating there shouldn't be a need for a gas backup. And that's a hell of a price tag. This guy just trying to gouge me?

My ductless heat pump works great year-round in a similar PNW climate, even with the occasional freezing cold snap. I have a gas furnace that I haven't run in 2 years since I had the minisplits installed. I can't wait to rip that obsolete poo poo out, especially since all my ducts run through the crawlspace and leak heat everywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Oldest Man posted:

I was just quoted $20k for a gas furnace replacement and aircon install on a 1450 square foot house in the Seattle area. No duct retrofitting or anything required. The installer also told me that heat pumps, quote, can't heat if the outside temperature is below 40F, unquote,
This guy just trying to gouge me?
He sure is. Heat pumps are less efficient below 40 degrees, but they still do their job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Oldest Man posted:

So I try not to assume bad intentions anymore straight out of the gate, so I won't say he's gouging you. I'll also say a lot of tradespeople are very set in their ways, and like to do things in a certain way with certain equipment because that is what they know. He might not be aware of, or care that newer heat pump systems are good down to less than 40 degrees. He also might be quoting top of the line equipment which would affect the price.

I live in a lower COL area, so I can't really say much about pricing, but 20K for that is more than double what it would cost me where I live. I live somewhere hot, where there are probably 100 different HVAC companies to choose from and labor is cheap. I regularly see full system changeouts advertised for 5500 dollars or so (goodman equipment), and when I looked at replacing a 2.5 ton unit in 2017, a trane heat pump change out was going to be around 6400 dollars from my locally owned hvac company.

I would assume that a heat pump would cover 99% of your needs in Seattle, and the backup heat strip would prevent you from freezing to death in a worst case scenario. Backup heat strips use a ton of electricity though, it's like running a 5 or 10 kW toaster.

I would just call another company out to give you another quote. Shop around until you feel comfortable with the company and the equipment.

TL;DR Call a different company get more quotes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

He's A+ BBB rated and a very boomery guy so I would guess "set in ways, not up to speed on latest tech/methods" is probably accurate.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
My heat pumps in Seattle worked well except for after Christmas where it got into the teens or whatever cold spell temp we did. For that point, it was struggling hard and so I turned on the baseboard heat units that I didn’t uninstall to support.

To be fair, we also had guests then so we tried to still keep it at like 68 and that was a big temp differential.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Oldest Man posted:

I just had a heat pump installed with a natural gas backup in Denver for a bit less, with some rebates bringing it down to about $16k. For a 2100sf house.

It's set to switch to gas under 40F, which is fine for me. The goal was to use less gas than before, and I had a high efficiency unit installed too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also it regularly snows in Denver, I think it's colder there than in Seattle during the winter yeah?

It sounds to me like there's something of a gray area. Some folks wouldn't want to experience even just 2 or 3 days all winter where their heat pump couldn't keep up and they'd have to resort to electric heaters or something, and other folks would be fine with that... but then as you get into progressively colder climates, you have more and more days per year where the heat pump couldn't really keep up and at some point basically everyone needs to have a proper backup. Where exactly to draw that line is a personal preference?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DaveSauce posted:

Is there a good source to buy "quality" faucets?

Got a half bath that needs a new one, and we're looking to get a new kitchen faucet as well.

Want to avoid the stuff at LowesDepot and buy something that will last. Not like high-end luxury stuff, but just decent quality that isn't plastic covered with faux-metal finish.

I just looked for all metal ones in the style I liked at the big box and ended up with Moen and Price-Pfister fixtures for my last house. They had ceramic valves and when I moved out 14 years later they still looked and functioned like new. I understand the hesitation but I think the midrange stuff you're looking for is actually right there. Just don't shop the cheapest stuff and you'll be fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lmao holy gently caress someone just quoted $450 to remove some cicada killer/wasps from my front yard.

Jesus Christ man.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Would love some advice on how to handle this tile in the bathroom. The other day we heard a random crash and turns out a few of the ceiling tiles in the shower had fallen off. A few more were loose so we scored them and took them down (should probably do the rest this weekend). Luckily the only damage was a small chip at the top of the shower door.

Should we just replace the sheetrock and paint the ceiling? We'd need to find some kind of trim if we do that. Retile with the same tile since we have extra? Retile with something smaller format? This house was built in the last decade so we were surprised it hasn't held up.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I would take this opportunity to remove the remaining ceiling tiles to check for moisture, or other issues like improper application.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

Would love some advice on how to handle this tile in the bathroom. The other day we heard a random crash and turns out a few of the ceiling tiles in the shower had fallen off. A few more were loose so we scored them and took them down (should probably do the rest this weekend). Luckily the only damage was a small chip at the top of the shower door.

Should we just replace the sheetrock and paint the ceiling? We'd need to find some kind of trim if we do that. Retile with the same tile since we have extra? Retile with something smaller format? This house was built in the last decade so we were surprised it hasn't held up.

Looks like somebody didn't backbutter the tiles when putting them in... hopefully just on the ceiling but that seems unlikely (so you may have problems with the other tiles down the road)

The "right" way to fix this would probably be to pull down the entire ceiling and start again with mold resistant drywall and then whatever tile on top.

In this case I would personally pull the rest of the tile down, and put some light color tile up directly on top of the existing thinset. I imagine going with white or similar is going to make that shower a lot brighter, and since it's the ceiling I wouldn't worry a ton about water intrusion.

I've never actually seen tile on the ceiling like that, so drywall + paint is probably a fine option too!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

These guys are local to me and are definitely the pro-level shop: https://generalplumbingsupply.net/

One thing to cross-check is take the model number of whatever you pick and see if you can buy it at Lowes/Home Depot. If so, you probably want something else. We had picked a faucet or two where a particular finish was only available at Lowes, which the sales guy sort of implied means it was built down to a price point.

I think everything in our house except the toilet is from them at this point.. the last remaining thing we did was a lowes-quality kitchen sink faucet that only lasted a couple years.

(ugh reply is not edit)

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

amethystbliss posted:

With a ceiling that low I would put tile back if it was my house - normally I find tile on the ceiling a little weird, but the shower alcove makes it work. I would use the matching tile to keep color and pattern consistent

It’s hard to tell, but it looks like the tile is open to the bathroom - I would put a Schluter strip on the end, but that’s just me.

Alternatively…. If you don’t like the tile this would be the time to change it all out.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nwin posted:

Lmao holy gently caress someone just quoted $450 to remove some cicada killer/wasps from my front yard.

Jesus Christ man.

I guess this is not very surprising to me at all? With almost any contractor for a small job, a large part of the fee is the cost to get this random human being to your door. With a vehicle, supplies, etc.

I would expect a $200-400 minimum for any contractor these days around a major city, except for the most basic of basic handyperson jobs, let alone one with a specialized skillset and equipment like pest control.

Every time I hear a random noise around my home I imagine $200-400 minimum disappearing from my bank account.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We got 4 inches of rain in a few hours last weekend, and while I was laying on the floor snuggling the hound I noticed a spot on the ceiling:

It's downhill from the chimney, and given that it's not larger I'm guessing it's some bad caulking around the chimney flashing.

Called the roofers who replaced the roof last April and they said it'll be fixed under warranty so fingers crossed.

Dog tax.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Inner Light posted:

I guess this is not very surprising to me at all? With almost any contractor for a small job, a large part of the fee is the cost to get this random human being to your door. With a vehicle, supplies, etc.

I would expect a $200-400 minimum for any contractor these days around a major city, except for the most basic of basic handyperson jobs, let alone one with a specialized skillset and equipment like pest control.

Every time I hear a random noise around my home I imagine $200-400 minimum disappearing from my bank account.

Maybe? I’ve done other pest control for $150 and had an electrician fix a wiring mistake for $140. I was very surprised when a plumber charged $375 for a wax ring install since he was in and out in 15 minutes-my old landlord ponied up the cash for that though and I am hoping I can do that job myself when the time comes.

On any note, we just saw a cicada dead today so we’re kinda thinking about keeping the cicada killers around because we loving can’t stand those things. Especially after last year when the huge brood x cicadas hit Virginia. loving yuck.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Ugh. Fuckin’ Newport Brass. The only company that made the sink faucet that my wife wanted.

I bought four extra cartridges because of the river of poo poo that they made me wade through to get them.

Oh you bought their cartridge stuff? Ouch, yeah......their standard non-fancy stuff at my local kitchen and bath place is all standard/no cartridges and that's exactly what i bought for my bathroom after seeing how easy they were to repair dealing with other people's stuff.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

amethystbliss posted:

This house was built in the last decade so we were surprised it hasn't held up.

Oh sweet summer child.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only thing that ages worse than 2000s construction is Game of Thrones references

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

Oh you bought their cartridge stuff? Ouch, yeah......their standard non-fancy stuff at my local kitchen and bath place is all standard/no cartridges and that's exactly what i bought for my bathroom after seeing how easy they were to repair dealing with other people's stuff.

I was under the impression all faucets had cartridges. Just read this and I'm still a little confused, though it seems to be a good article: https://www.hunker.com/12155798/how-does-a-cartridge-faucet-work

What does standard/no cartridge have, is it a ball valve on a single handle?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Jesus Christ man.

Why?

They don't care about you, big & scary-looking as they are.

They care about one thing, and one thing only: cicadas.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

Why?

Nah I read up on them, so I’m not as worried…but I’ve also got a 1 year old and a 3 year old to think about.

However, I did see a dead cicada today near their nest and after dealing with brood x in Virginia a year back…I kinda want to keep the wasps.

The woodpeckers however? They need to loving go. Too bad they’re a protected species. I’ve got a ton of damage on two sides of my house and I’m not sure if I want to/can deal with the time to putty or epoxy them all before I put up some shiny things to scare them off.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Is there any trick or strategy to getting new windows?

I’m not sure if we’re ready to take that plunge yet but it’s be nice to get some ballpark figures.

I’m pretty sure all our windows are original (~60 years) or just old as gently caress. We live in the Midwest so cold winters and hot summers.

This got put on our back burner for six months but we finally pulled the trigger on new windows. Replacing 23 for just under $13k. Nice quality stuff too from a neighbor’s recommendation. Nothing crazy, mostly white vinyl double hungs. So stoked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Why?

I took a video of one carving up a cicada like a turkey last year

Poor thing was screaming

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Oldest Man posted:

This seems totally untrue since from what I've read very standard air-source heat pumps should be fine at any of the temperatures we regularly experience in this area for both heating and cooling as long as the capacity is right for the space and with some resistive electric space heating there shouldn't be a need for a gas backup.

Mitsubishi hyper heat units are 100% efficient down to 0 and are becoming ubiquitous in New England. No strips, no gas backup. They sell ducted models for retrofits. I don't think I'd install anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah what's the deal with the protected woodpecker thing, is that recent

There are a bunch of lots for sale near boiling springs, NC and I guess there is a state law that if a specific woodpecker species on your property that is nesting, you basically cannot cut down any trees as long as they're in the area? Turned a bunch of nice lots into unusable land. Seems to be a mid Atlantic problem

TL;DR if you want some unusable sandy land for about $6,000/acre, 80 minutes from the nearest Walmart, I know a guy

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 18, 2022