Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

IAMKOREA posted:

Have we discussed making a new thread yet, I think it's about Rime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah its a very old dam thats been under tremendous load for nearly a century
same

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Overexposing the photographs
We can see what we pretend we can see
Out on the edge of the city scene
We feel what we pretend we can feel
The days are getting longer and drier and hotter
Evaporating the last of the water
Basking in majestic ridicule
Breaking down, the molecules

Ricochet and decay
Staring back at me with broken eyes
Like empty stalls at abandoned shopping malls
Ricochet and decay
We'll catch our breath before we run and fall with all our might into the surveilling setting sun
Closing in from all sides
I can't hide
Everything tastes like the bitter end

Anticipating a dull parade
Celebrating a silent chase
I don't believe that we'll disappear
If we can't consistently prove we're here
But we don't belong in this jurisdiction
They're selling t-shirts at this crucifixion
And we don't have the corresponding currency
It's an odyssey of absurdity

Ricochet and decay
Staring back at me with broken eyes like empty stalls at abandoned shopping malls
Ricochet and decay
We'll catch our breath before we run and fall with all our might into the surveilling setting sun

And I'm losing face
From all the other sides
I can't hide
I can't hide
Every day
I'm at a loss
And I'm suffering fools
Like a suffering fool
Everything that I touch
Feels like the bitter end
And it's radiating
Effortlessly graceful
And it's closing in
From all the other sides
I can't hide
I can't hide

https://youtu.be/v1hJz7xjFTY

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
https://twitter.com/billscher/status/1548050915877273603

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I'll get an admin to look at this stuff. Thank you.

blessed, thank you. this is the first time I've had to report my own post.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

I mean anybody waking up is a good thing but lol at this being the straw that breaks the camel's back for him

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

:hmmyes:

there's a few Keep Louisville Yarmouth stickers around here

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

I mean anybody waking up is a good thing but lol at this being the straw that breaks the camel's back for him

Yeah, like if Joe Manchin agreed to allow small reductions in emissions or pointless investments in useless programs THAT would save us. Now that Manchin is stonewalling them we are doomed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Melanie_Vogel_/status/1548235398538702851

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah, like if Joe Manchin agreed to allow small reductions in emissions or pointless investments in useless programs THAT would save us. Now that Manchin is stonewalling them we are doomed.

I wonder if they're looking for scapegoats and I mean, you could do worse than that rear end in a top hat

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that our emTme3 is at it again

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

Human firefighting efforts can almost certainly save major cities. For now. The biggest fires are crown fires in forests - which have lots of overlapping, close packed, dry fuel in the form of trees and their canopies. Human buildings are always separated with natural firebreaks between them - roads and parking lots. This is why fires seem to run out of momentum really fast once they hit defendable towns. Also, most massive fires take place in undeveloped areas with lots of steep hills and valleys which bad restricts firefighter mobility, deployable numbers, and causes issues keeping everyone supplied with fuel and water and such. Major cities, as yet, have an effectively unlimited manpower, water, and fuel supply to fight fires with on top of massive transportation lanes allowing for extreme mobility by defenders. Cities burn when those factors are obviated.

I think you overestimate the ability to fight conflagrations.

Once a fire starts burning through a community local resources will be quickly overwhelmed. There are evacuations to manage so you can’t even rely on clear streets or being able to allocate your entire firefighting force to fighting the fire.

quote:

The first outside assistance to arrive came up Fish Ranch Road to the back side of the hills. A first alarm assignment, consisting of Orinda, Moraga, and Contra Costa County units, had been dispatched by ConFire at 1135 hours, on a report from a citizen of fire on the hilltop above the Caldecott Tunnel. The Orinda battalion chief (BC45) requested a second alarm at 1143 hours, when he reached the top of the hill and saw the magnitude of the fire on the Oakland side. It was impossible for BC45 to make contact with the Oakland incident commander by radio due to the extremely heavy radio traffic, so the Contra Costa companies went to work with the Oakland companies, trying to protect exposed houses and to stop the fire from topping the hills along Marlborough Terrace and Grizzly Peak Boulevard.
Two minutes after requesting the second alarm, BC45 advised ConFire that Oakland was requesting all available units. Learning that Oakland had established a command post at the bottom of the hill, BC45 assigned a captain as “Division A,” to direct the Contra Costa units, while he drove to the com- mand post location.
ConFire had already been contacted by the Alameda County Mutual Aid Coordinator, asking for one strike team and, when the ConFire dispatcher telephoned Oakland Fire Communications for routing instructions, the request was increased to two strike teams. Contra Costa County was also working a multiple alarm brush fire in Franklin Canyon, six miles northeast of this fire. ConFire began to call-up additional strike teams from the remaining resources within Contra Costa County to respond to Oakland.
It’s hard to get organized and run for your life at the same time!”
(An Oakland command officer)

As the fire ignited structures and began to jump the street along Marlborough Terrace, firefighters had to abandon their defensive strategy and evacuate. Companies had already been forced out of Buckingham and Westmoorland, back to Norfolk Road. The firefighting forces were in complete disarray. Streets were blocked by flames and live power lines were falling from burning poles.

quote:

As the fire continued to spread to the northwest, the huge wood frame structure of the Claremont Hotel became a major concern. The five story hotel, which is believed to be the second largest wood-frame building in the United States, sits on a hillside overlooking the city of Berkeley, at the mouth of Claremont Canyon. The concern was that, if the hotel became involved, it would be a “conflagration breeder,” generating a massive additional source of heat and flying brands that could ignite hundreds of new spot fires in the flatland area. Between 1230 and 1300 hours, the fire had swept through Grandview Canyon and was threatening to jump Tunnel Road, a few blocks south of the hotel. Flames were also visible in the upper reaches of Claremont Canyon. A slight shift in the wind would place the hotel directly in the path of the fire.

And again, the fire was only defeated because the winds died down. Without that, they had no ability to stop the fire.

quote:

The main battle continued until approximately 1930 hours, when the wind finally abated. The smoke and heat changed from pushing ahead of the fire to rising vertically as the wind eased off. Within a few minutes, a cool damp ocean breeze began to push the products of combustion back into the burn area. This stopped the uncontrollable advance of the fire, but left a huge perimeter of blazing homes that continued to expose adjacent structures.
The battle against these fires continued well into the night around the entire five-mile perimeter of the fire. From time to time the wind would pick up, and the burning intensity would increase for a few minutes, showering the area with new sparks. Crews worked to build a safe perimeter around as much of the fire as possible, including attacking structure fires and shutting off burning gas lines.
CDF hand crews were used in some of the wooded areas, particularly in Claremont Canyon and along the Piedmont border, where fire had spread to a wooded hollow next to the cemetery. Bulldozers were used to clear a fire break in Claremont Canyon.
The major concern was that the wind would return in the morning, so plans were made to bring in even more resources, to overhaul as much of the perimeter as possible and to be prepared for a new outbreak.

The report really dives into the details of the challenges of dealing with wildfires that lead to conflagrations, including some challenges that just can’t be easily resolved. Like the firefighting gear that’s safe for building fires is too exhausting to work in all day, while the gear best for wildfires doesn’t provide the protection needed conflagrations.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/tr-060.pdf

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Popoto posted:

is it possible for the current firestorms the world has been having to have one eventually wipe out a world city? or would human firefighting efforts always be enough to say, prevent LA from burning to the ground? As institutions crumble, I’ve found myself wondering…

greater l.a. is, like, thousands and thousands of square miles. it would be virtually impossible for all of it to burn, but equally impossible to prevent parts of it from burning

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I've never had to deal with wild fires in real life but that video of the driver going through that has me feeling terrified.

It's always been a detached oh cool fire! That must suck real bad anyway on to the next thing. But now with wild fires bound to become very real its like super mild form of anticipated ptsd.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Confusedslight posted:

I've never had to deal with wild fires in real life but that video of the driver going through that has me feeling terrified.

Is this the video or another one?

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1548371958173077507

+6C in the ocean.

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1548395292516556800

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kreeningsons posted:

I thought it was already at inactive pool (1050 feet or below) where they can no longer generate power

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/nature/storage-capacity-of-lake-mead.htm

water level was 1041 as of this morning

https://mead.uslakes.info/Level/

dead pool is at 895 feet where in addition to not generating power, water can’t even flow past the dam

I just skimmed an article to answer another poster's question, I'm not an expert on Hooverology

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
in case it's been missed gg everyone https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/deforestation-brazils-amazon-hits-record-first-half-2022-2022-07-08/

quote:

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon hits record for first half of 2022

MANAUS, Brazil, July 8 (Reuters) - Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon rainforest reached a record high for the first six months of the year, as an area five times the size of New York City was destroyed, preliminary government data showed on Friday.

From January to June, 3,988 square km (1,540 square miles) were cleared in the region, according to national space research agency Inpe.

That's an increase of 10.6% from the same months last year and the highest level for that period since the agency began compiling its current DETER-B data series in mid-2015.

Destruction rose 5.5% in June to 1,120 square km, also a record for that month of the year.

This year's rising deforestation is also feeding unusually high levels of fire, which are likely to worsen in the months ahead, said Manoela Machado, a wildfire and deforestation researcher at Woodwell Climate Research Center and University of Oxford.

Brazil recorded the highest number of fires in the Amazon for the month of June in 15 years, although those blazes are a small fraction of what is usually seen when fires peak in August and September, according to Inpe data.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Yup.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

I'm a rainforest half left kind of guy

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Zodium posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that our emTme3 is at it again, but I didn't get a reply the last time I sent an admin a pm and I don't have the wherewithal for another sex pest weirdo right now.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, thousands about to roast to death next week and your posting anime drama bullshit

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

T-Paine posted:

I'm a rainforest half left kind of guy

the best part is the plan for "protecting" it

quote:

Environmentalists are banking on leftist former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who presided over a steep decline in deforestation during his presidency from 2003 to 2010, winning in October's election for a turnaround in Brazil's environmental policy.

A poll released this week showed Bolsonaro losing to Lula by 19 percentage points in an expected run-off. read more

Regardless, this year is likely to have high levels of deforestation and fires as loggers and land grabbers seek to capitalize on the weak enforcement ahead of a potential change in government, experts say.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

that’s one fulcrum rear end regardless

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Erghh posted:

the best part is the plan for "protecting" it

what's their plan for stopping the ensuing CIA sponsored coup

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
lol at everything

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Concentrations of cringe this high were not expected until the end of this century and yet they are here now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jesus Horse posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you, thousands about to roast to death next week and your posting anime drama bullshit

Anime drama bullshit will save us.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
We all cope with what's to come in different ways.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thank god that COPE26 resulted in attention being given to discussing a crackdown on deforestation*

*illegal deforestation, only at participating rainforests

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Climate looking at ten thousand acres of stumps and going "we checked the paperwork this was legal"

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Climate looking at ten thousand acres of stumps and going "we checked the paperwork this was legal"

looks morally sound to me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Seems kinda bad

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
I bought some new rechargeable AAs earlier, and can now confidently say Recycling Works :shobon: 4% lmao. guess it's better than zero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems like this year everything’s drying up at once. there’s been no rain near me either, the forecast always shrugs and goes back to sunny skies every time there’s a chance of showers

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Oxxidation posted:

seems like this year everything’s drying up at once. there’s been no rain near me either, the forecast always shrugs and goes back to sunny skies every time there’s a chance of showers

Yeah, we're kind of slowly rolling into a ~*~*~mild~*~*~ drought in CT with people barely noticing even as the state is like "uh, stop using so much water because we don't know how bad this is going to get." Forecast is just an endless string of low-chance scattered thunderstorms that drop a few minutes of rain at best. It's cool.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Oh cool, we're posting nightmare fuel? How about some footage from the 2016 Fort McMurray fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_OLgC4nV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTlGFsP4JeQ

For those of you not familiar with Canadian esoterica, Fort Mac is the heart and soul of tar bitumen production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw4rUBPCmiY

And we have the national broadcaster asking the tough questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xow4jeiaxxk

Sure, why the gently caress not? :canada: :tif: :rubby:

Well, that got my attention. That's going to severely gently caress up ocean survival for a number of species. :rip: salmon. Enjoy that smoked candied sockeye jerky while you can.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
name one thing a salmon ever did for me

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

it is entirely seemly to enjoy the last bottle of siracha the earth will ever produce on this reheated slice of pizza

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
a salmon never told muhammad ali to go fight in god drat vietnam, so that's 1 chit in its favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Confusedslight posted:

It's always been a detached oh cool fire! That must suck real bad anyway on to the next thing. But now with wild fires bound to become very real its like super mild form of anticipated ptsd.

I was thinking today about how much of my daily thoughts are preoccupied by wildfires or their effects. Like waking up and looking at the sky and it's lovely out because of the smoke from whatever fire is going on in the area. Adjusting my daily plans around the AQI. Hearing the hum of an airplane overhead and it's a tanker taking off from the nearest airforce base or maybe a spotter plane. The first topic of discussion whenever you see someone is always about the hot weather and the water situation and how you hope the fires aren't bad this season etc.