Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Perry Mason Jar posted:

endless monotony is pretending he doesn't understand variables (and their relationship to probabilities, particularly) to make a point in the direction of SirPablo regarding the modeling crisis. Technically endless monotony is more correct than SirPablo but since they went about it so poorly they get large demerits

Probability isn't real on these scales, and it doesn't even matter if reality's deterministic or not! It's just an artifact of insufficient data!

Then I took a break, took a poo poo, wondered how I could make this point in a way where anyone cared, and realized even I don't care about longwinded rants about modeling, I want to see the weather do wild poo poo, so I didn't post more about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

endlessmonotony posted:

Probability isn't real on these scales, and it doesn't even matter if reality's deterministic or not! It's just an artifact of insufficient data!

what lol

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

its difficult the degree to which we can say something was a 100 year storm, when accurate measurement is at best a couple hundred years, when the overall climactic shifts of the last millennium are significant, etc

this gets even stranger when talking about thousand-year-storms, is something like the ARK storm that flooded Sacramento 150 years ago really an event that happens every 1000 years? would it be a 100 year storm in the little ice age and a 10,000 year storm in the medieval warm period? or the reverse probabilities of that?

endlessmonotony is just stating we do not have anywhere near the data required to meaningfully describe rare events, its hard enough to predict specific behavior of hurricanes and stuff that happens dozens of times per year, something we may have seen once, ever, cannot be given a useful probability in the way we want to receive one

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

hekaton posted:

its difficult the degree to which we can say something was a 100 year storm, when accurate measurement is at best a couple hundred years, when the overall climactic shifts of the last millennium are significant, etc

this gets even stranger when talking about thousand-year-storms, is something like the ARK storm that flooded Sacramento 150 years ago really an event that happens every 1000 years? would it be a 100 year storm in the little ice age and a 10,000 year storm in the medieval warm period? or the reverse probabilities of that?

endlessmonotony is just stating we do not have anywhere near the data required to meaningfully describe rare events, its hard enough to predict specific behavior of hurricanes and stuff that happens dozens of times per year, something we may have seen once, ever, cannot be given a useful probability in the way we want to receive one

As far as I can tell he's yelling at dynamical weather model outputs that aren't even normed against a climatology (i.e. the models are showing absolute temperatures, not deviations from some 20 year climatological average). The temperature outputs of something like the GFS or ECMWF plots posted in the past several pages don't care about the return-rate incidence of events beyond that background signal possibly being relevant in the dataset that the models are backtested against.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Does a hurricane on a treadmill take off?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

As far as I can tell he's yelling at dynamical weather model outputs that aren't even normed against a climatology (i.e. the models are showing absolute temperatures, not deviations from some 20 year climatological average). The temperature outputs of something like the GFS or ECMWF plots posted in the past several pages don't care about the return-rate incidence of events beyond that background signal possibly being relevant in the dataset that the models are backtested against.

Exactly. This other person is ranting about the wrong thing, because they don't understand what they are talking about.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SirPablo posted:

Exactly. This other person is ranting about the wrong thing, because they don't understand what they are talking about.

That's because there was an additional point "and by the time weather models show useful results there's no longer real world probability because the energy's already in, so model probability is merely a reflection of our confidence in our models and data, and those are incomplete by nature and selected by people influenced by their expectations, so using probabilities as an argument is just an appeal to authority without clearly designating the authority" but I couldn't make that a good post either.

It's still not a good post, someone post wildfires, I heard Lytton got more.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

That's because there was an additional point "and by the time weather models show useful results there's no longer real world probability because the energy's already in, so model probability is merely a reflection of our confidence in our models and data, and those are incomplete by nature and selected by people influenced by their expectations, so using probabilities as an argument is just an appeal to authority without clearly designating the authority" but I couldn't make that a good post either.

It's still not a good post, someone post wildfires, I heard Lytton got more.

This bolded part is why you post GEFS or EPS ensembles of temperatures past t=120h on the model runs instead of the GFS or ECMWF operational (single) runs. Using model outputs in windows where they are a) knowingly highly uncertain and b) have better alternatives (like ensembles) is the entire problem SirPablo and I have with the cherrypicked models posted in this thread. Most of the people doing this are either cherrypicking models with results they want or have no idea how to use the products altogether and shouldn't be divining any sort of insight out of them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

This bolded part is why you post GEFS or EPS ensembles of temperatures past t=120h on the model runs instead of the GFS or ECMWF operational (single) runs. Using model outputs in windows where they are a) knowingly highly uncertain and b) have better alternatives (like ensembles) is the entire problem SirPablo and I have with the cherrypicked models posted in this thread. Most of the people doing this are either cherrypicking models with results they want or have no idea how to use the products altogether and shouldn't be divining any sort of insight out of them.

That's a you problem. Nobody's divining any insight from this thread, they're here to look at wild poo poo. Which math chat isn't.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
gently caress, I want to give myself a wedgie by now.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
endless do you even understand the difference between climate models, global weather models, ensemble models, CAMs, etc.? Add another layer - direct model output and statistical post processing? And a whole different branch is statistical modeling.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
math isn't going to gently caress you

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Good thread

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1547641607154872329?s=20&t=gOl7bpx6I2H1Z_1yH6QrpA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“There’s no modelling crisis!” I exclaim, as my weather forecasts make Nate Silver look like a steely‐eyed missile man.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've never heard the term "model crisis" outside this dumb thread and I literally look at this poo poo for hours every day.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You fools. You ignorant Morons. Are you suggesting a world where math doesn't exist?

If you are modeling car crashes and are then teleported to an alien planet you just humansplain to them their risk of getting into a car accident based on data and physics. There is no need to account for a core fundamental shift to the concept of a model because that isn't how statistics works. They have a number chance of getting into an accident with whatever they call cars however they drive. That's how reality works. There would be no issues with your modeling. Underlying behaviors and historical assumptions being defeated as the environment being modeled enters a new period of behavior we have not seen and don't fully understand isn't relevant. Numbers exist. I read lots of graphs. Checkmate.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

I've never heard the term "model crisis" outside this dumb thread and I literally look at this poo poo for hours every day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9v3sAck-QQ

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

those paintings are hung like poo poo

uh it's holland and it's called the dutch angle

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The UK forecast calls for a Dutch Oven.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

"there's a model crisis! there's a model crisis!" i insist as forecast error slowly shrinks and i transform into a corn cob

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

math isn't going to gently caress you

My experience with real analysis back in undergrad says otherwise. The experience was not mutual.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

Let's watch this on - will Fargo hit 115 on July 31st? This would break their all time record of 114 (from the dust bowl years).

quote this post if you're rooting for this lil' underdog model to succeed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

neutral milf hotel posted:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

Let's watch this on - will Fargo hit 115 on July 31st? This would break their all time record of 114 (from the dust bowl years).

Climate proof Duluth

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The next GFS run was 30 degrees cooler. Which is right!!?? Model is a mess!

Israel 2
Jul 13, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

The next GFS run was 30 degrees cooler. Which is right!!?? Model is a mess!

SirPablo posted:

There is no "modeling crisis" wtf

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I went to Vegas and rolled an 11 at craps, then my very next roll I only got 2?! There must be some kind of die crisis to get such different numbers. :wtf:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
climate models have played us for absolute fools

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Weather thread:. A model, idiot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Take my energy. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
If it's 110 where I am on July 31 I'm chain probing all of you

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Platystemon posted:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Take my energy. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Stop! That's how I got cancer!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
People just throwing energy around like it's no big deal... WELL IT IS!

Energy is how we got here!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

RandomBlue posted:

People just throwing energy around like it's no big deal... WELL IT IS!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

RandomBlue posted:

Stop! That's how I got cancer!

A heatwave can't get cancer!

... right?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

endlessmonotony posted:

A heatwave can't get cancer!

... right?

A heatwave could affect the tropic OF cancer

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I rely on weather models for leisure activities and GFS has always been kind of a mess, in some locations it can be almost flawless but in others you'll end up consistently wild inaccurate reports, takes some local experience to interpret it. Seaside is generally better than inland

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
10k people may die next week, but at least we'll see which model was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fell Mood posted:

10k people may die next week, but at least we'll see which model was right.

Covid thread is over there.