Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

As I understand it this is a Japanese bike thing.

Oh it definitely is, it's just that most of them are actually limited instead of just not letting you see how fast you're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I assume it has one

I think I got to about 90 passing someone once because they kept accelerating when they realized someone didn't want them in front anymore. 2 lane road weaving through a national forest with a 3rd passing lane every few miles in spots where it made sense. The classic "I'm going to drive 5 below the speed limit until I get to a passing zone" driver. I wasn't really watching how fast I was going so much as continuing to accelerate until I could pass safely and then noticing it going into the 80's as I decelerated after getting past them.

Then proceeded to ride between 5-8 mph above the speed limit and completely left them in the dust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I think I got to about 90 passing someone once because they kept accelerating when they realized someone didn't want them in front anymore. 2 lane road weaving through a national forest with a 3rd passing lane every few miles in spots where it made sense. The classic "I'm going to drive 5 below the speed limit until I get to a passing zone" driver. I wasn't really watching how fast I was going so much as continuing to accelerate until I could pass safely and then noticing it going into the 80's as I decelerated after getting past them.

Then proceeded to ride between 5-8 mph above the speed limit and completely left them in the dust.

I've read that this behavior is usually not a conscious thing but rather just the added sense of safety that poo poo drivers get when they feel less hemmed in on both sides.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The tiny MT3 managed 95 indicated (I assume this is 90mph real speed) with my giant self on it, took a while to get there, but felt fairly comfortable as much as you can say that getting wind blasted. But not willing to try it often because anything going wrong at that speed and the mechanisms for injury are not pretty.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My 250 ninja indicated 180 but it was almost certainly bluffing.

My VTR1000F did north of 210 before I had to back off.

My 1250 bandit did over 200 which was impressive given the lack of fairing. Also lol I totally forgot I even owned this for literally years.

My Aprilia Shiver 750 gave up at 170 something but I wasn't really trying and I have a big rear end drag inducing fairing on it do yeah.

Edit: all in kmph

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The most the Monkey will do is 75mph with stock gearing before the Rev limiter kicks in.
The old KTM 250 EXC will do 65mph on the sand with paddles.
The new KLX300R is about the same as the KTM.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I had the GSX-R600 up to about 208km/h on the southbound DVP at ~3AM once, and I never want to do that again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

My 250 ninja indicated 180 but it was almost certainly bluffing.

:lol: this is outrageous, my old rgv150 GAMMA indicated 180kmh at 125 by design!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This weekend I'm bringing my bike back home from Alberta. I was supposed to do it last weekend, but my own disorganization stymied that, because my friend who I left it with was out of town. So today I have flown to Calgary, only to find out my idiot friend, who, although I love him like a brother, can be as infuriating as he is also disorganized (these often go hand in hand), has misplaced my kriega bag containing the key to my motorcycle. So I have had to fly back to Vancouver to get my spare key, and fly back again to Calgary. I've had to cancel tonight's campsite in Jasper and instead will be riding with him directly to Kamloops tomorrow. It's a good thing I have flight benefits, although ironically, I never would have embarked on this foolish venture in the first place if I didn't. Being stubborn helps too, because hell if I'm going to let a little thing like this stop me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Finger Prince posted:

So I have had to fly back to Vancouver to get my spare key, and fly back again to Calgary.

Did you try to hotwire your bike, before taking 2 extra flights?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Did you try to hotwire your bike, before taking 2 extra flights?

No point, I need the key to open the gas cap too. The amount of damage I would have caused to the lock cylinders and their replacement would have been way more than the flights.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

Oh it definitely is, it's just that most of them are actually limited instead of just not letting you see how fast you're going.

Recent Fireblades cap the display at 299 as well. This is the current one at 299 in 4th gear

e: 348kph though I guess a limiter could have been removed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko7ENRRxFVI

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 17, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say that gps is optimistic by like 20kmh lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

I'm the one with the top speed, the Rex can beat it handily

(whatever that number is, I was brushing against it last night trying to make the ferry... Made it like a minute before they pushed off, they were just locking the gates on the boat)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I'm the one with the top speed, the Rex can beat it handily

(whatever that number is, I was brushing against it last night trying to make the ferry... Made it like a minute before they pushed off, they were just locking the gates on the boat)

It's approximately 265kmh indicated, hth

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It does

And I doubt I'm ever going to see it, when I said I was brushing up against a speed I meant mine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once did 155mph indicated on my gsxr. So probably 135 or so actual?

I passed a cop doing it :negative:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 17, 2022

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I’ve done 100 mph on my SV and 120 on the FZ6 and that was fast enough for me. My first bike was a Suzuki Savage/S40 and I got it to around 95 once which felt close to it’s limit but :shrug:. It had a muffler off a Dyna and doubt the carb was set up properly for it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

For my bikes I maxed the GS500, got the MT-07 pretty close, and chickened out on the 919 at ~125 indicated. Texas was better suited for that kind of riding. Or, maybe I'm just getting older.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Around 95mph, car or bike, the vehicle's handling starts to feel unfamiliar and so I naturally start thinking about how stupid I'd feel losing control and dying after nailing a squirrel or something.

Phy posted:

I'm the one with the top speed

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you're doing 120km/h into a 40km/h headwind, it feels like you're doing 160. :pseudo:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's approximately 265kmh indicated, hth

Just circling back to this cause I wasn't looking at my gauges when you posted, but my speedometer actually does go up to 260.

Unlike a Quebecer at the beach, Kawi gives you exactly enough speedo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phy posted:

:lmao: tabarnak

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Just circling back to this cause I wasn't looking at my gauges when you posted, but my speedometer actually does go up to 260.

Was hoping you'd realise that :v: idk how big the speedo error is but it runs out of steam right as you hit the 260 mark. I found it very hard to hold on at that speed and had to suck myself right onto the tank.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
I have managed to get to 125mph according to the speedo on my XSR700, but now I'm curious how likely that was to be accurate? Do most bikes read consistently higher than they're actually going?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most speedos, period, read 5-10% high across the board. Much less lawsuits that way.

Some bikes have hilariously lying speedos for marketing purposes, these are usually SEA shitbikes though.

The R6 famously had a totally lying tacho for a couple of years, very shameful, much dishonour.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
This explains why the speed signs everywhere in Portland are so frustrating. They don't register motorcycle consistently, and they read way lower than my speedo.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I had a Suzuki Katana 750 that supposedly was limited to 142mph and it would indicate like 144 on the gage but I suppose that might have not been as high as 140 if all these gages are set to run high. I only did it once on a completely empty highway and whatever speed I was actually going was fast enough to not do again.

I also had a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 that I didn't dare push over 80mph. It being like 35yrs old at the time, plus skinny tires, plus only being 5 gears and it would get a little screamy going that fast made me want to keep that one on the back roads and off the highways. Supposedly top speed was 128mph but I didn't have the gusto to test that one out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2002 Goldwing top speed: 130mph. Will not be verifying
1975 Kawasaki F11 250 top speed: I dunno, like 55 maybe? The speedo needle waves all over the place
1972 Suzuki RV90 top speed: 45 on flat ground, 50-55 with gravity assist. Verified literally thousands of times

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

FBS posted:

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

Valkyrie rev limited at 135 stock, havent hit it but have hit 120. cruising it likes 80-90 easy based on how windy it is. If I get a power commander kit that may change but I am reluctant to really do much because I don't want to trash the engine on my baby because im dumb (until I get a second bike and more dumb)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

I've gone 100 on my Road Glide passing someone. I didn't like it. Likewise, I've probably gone 75-80 on the Ducati Scrambler. I didn't like that either. I don't particularly like going fast on motorcycles as my purchase history would probably indicate.

But I've gone about 140 in my Hellcat (on the track). That car is extremely easy to speed in; there's very little to notice cruising at 70mph versus 100ish.

Overall as I approach my late 30s I don't really like going fast in anything. I know it's not the speed that kills, but the suddenly becoming stationary is a concern.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oooooh, the Hellcat is well cool, how are you liking it?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Oooooh, the Hellcat is well cool, how are you liking it?

I love this car, but there's a learning curve for sure. My last car was a regular R/T Challenger with 375 HP. It was faster than your average 4000lb car, but nothing too dangerous. When I got the Hellcat, I assumed 707HP would be like 375HP but quicker. Like all the same things would happen over a shorter timeline. In reality, it's very easy to put your foot down and then, well, die. The first week I had the car I was at a red light right before a highway onramp, and a BMW pulled up beside me, clearly intending to get out in front of me and get on the onramp first. When the light turned green, I put my foot down, and in the span of about 2 seconds I could tell the car was going faster than my old Challenger, I could hear it shifting, I could hear the exhaust, but it didn't really feel 700HP fast. That's when I looked in the rearview and realized I was doing a rolling burnout through the intersection. It must have scared the poo poo out of the other cars but I couldn't stop laughing.

So one of the first things I did when I got the car was autocross. I wanted to see what it would take to lose control, and then what I would need to do to regain control in as close to laboratory-like circumstances as I could get. Turns out it's a lot more manageable than you'd think, even for so much power to the rear wheels. I drive it a lot more conservatively than I probably could, but it's nice knowing I'm faster than 99% of other cars on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBizyz6DzI

It's pretty impractical. The trunk is large, the seats are comfortable, the rear seats are almost usable (maybe fully usable if your passenger is under the age of 15), but living in Massachusetts you cannot drive a car like this through the winter. I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee though, so I put summer tires on the Hellcat and just start it up every so often when it's snowing.

It's the most fun you can have in a RWD vehicle for under $100k. I'd like a Porsche 911 or an Audi R8, but I like the fact that this could be easily confused for a $18k rental car unless you know what you're looking at (or you hear the exhaust). Also I can't find a 911 or an R8 to save my life, so I'm content with the Hellcat for now.

ok I think that's the most I can talk about a 4-wheeled vehicle in CA

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

2002 Goldwing top speed: 130mph. Will not be verifying

Would you on a track? I always figured a new-ish (20 years old is only one generation!) would be pretty stable at high speeds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d take it to a drag strip or something, but it wouldn’t hit that speed in a quarter mile, they tend to do mid-12’s at just over 100mph as evidenced by this hilariously quiet drag pass (apparently magazine riders can get them down into the 11’s, but still at 100-ish mph, meaning you can launch the poo poo out of them if you try/don’t care about the drivetrain)

https://youtu.be/KtKrTqtAQ5A

I think it would get laughed off a road course.

I’m sure it would be stable at that speed, in general, I just wouldn’t want to go into a tankslapper or something on a bike that heavy, which you run the risk of at 120+ mph.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 19, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly I think if you took a wing to a track and gave it death your biggest problem would be tyre failure. I don't know of any front tyre out there that can stop 300+kg worth of sled lap after lap without delaminating.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are several videos on YouTube of dudes running Goldwings around a track, including some darksiders taking theirs around Laguna Seca - don't remember seeing any tires shredding, believe it or not.

Ari and Zack did a hot lap on that track in a Goldwing + K1600GT a few years back, and they may have even tried it 2-up (it's been a while since I watched the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv0NEvXWI

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Being on the back round a track looks terrifying lmao

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just had an idea for goldwing rally, where the co-driver rides pillion and reads the pace notes over intercom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

FBS posted:

The thing where you're wide open and you start bouncing up and down on the seat like you might be able to encourage it to go a little bit faster