Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Holy poo poo from their official rules:

No words ending in philia

We do not allow use of these words because they are normally used to abuse someone and also because they are used wrongly.

Comments containing these words are auto-removed by the moderator. If you believe you have used such a word in your comment correctly and politely you may ask the mods for your comment to be restored, but if you bother a mod when you have used the word incorrectly you risk getting a short ban for timewasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Holy poo poo from their official rules:

We do not allow use of these words because they are normally used to abuse someone and also because they are used wrongly.

Comments containing these words are auto-removed by the moderator. If you believe you have used such a word in your comment correctly and politely you may ask the mods for your comment to be restored, but if you bother a mod when you have used the word incorrectly you risk getting a short ban for timewasting.

Do not go on this page. Dear God, learn from my mistakes and do not go there.

AITA, that I can handle. This is way beyond that.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
The stories that come up in this thread that I have the hardest time believing are the ones featuring people in their early 20's who somehow own their own houses. If these people actually exist I am so bloody jealous.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
let’s not post from r/agegap, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for refusing to go back to MIL’s house after catching her spying?

quote:

My (26F) husband (27M) and I have been together for 8 years. We moved away from our hometown two years ago after his promotion. Every week we drive 2 hours to visit our parents - we visit his on Friday night and mine on Saturday. His parents, especially his mom (51F), are very conservative and have always had a house rule that we cannot sleep in the same bedroom until we were married. Ever since we got married, the rule has changed to that we are not allowed to have sex under their roof as they see it as disrespectful. While visiting we always have a glass of wine at dinner, so driving elsewhere isn’t really an option and we almost always spend the night there and go to my parents for lunch the next day.

The last time we visited, my husband noticed their bedside clock wasn’t working and when he tried to fix it, we noticed there was a micro SD card and then noticed a lens of a camera behind the display. My husband laughed it off and assumed they must have accidentally bought it, but I felt something was up.

When he laughingly showed them the camera in the morning - not only were they not surprised but his mom said that they bought it to make sure the house rules were being followed. I freaked out and confronted her about violating our privacy and my husband was also upset by their distrust and disregard for our personal space. I refused to stay any longer and we went straight to my parents house. All I could think about on our drive there was about the few times we did have sex and I’m scared it’s recorded somewhere... but she hasn’t said anything, so maybe the camera was a new thing.

Ever since then I refuse to go there and my husband drops me at my parents, before going to his. So am I the rear end in a top hat?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA: My husband left me with the baby for 9 days when I said I’d be ok with him having a weekend off and I’m really angry?

quote:

My husband needed a break after a tough year (our baby is only a year old and my husband has not enjoyed the baby stuff as much as I’d hope/as I do). His best friend invited him to stay with him abroad. I was very worried about being left alone with the baby (it doesn’t sleep (like wakes every hour and a half) well so without somebody to take it part of the night I’m exhausted to the point of non-functionality). But I didn’t want to be a kill joy so I said “sure: have a weekend with the boys”.

He then found weekend flights were expensive, and his other mate was going out for a week, so he asked if he could he go for longer. I was getting increasingly worried and communicated that to him, but still wanted him to be happy so said sure go for a longer weekend like Thursday morning to Monday night.

In the end he found flights that worked staying away for 8 nights and arriving back so late that it will actually be 9 nights as I’ll already be asleep and he will have to sleep on the sofa when he comes back. I immediately said (before he booked them) “I’m not comfortable with that”. And he said “ok we can talk about it” and clicked confirm. I was really upset and he said he “had not understood me”. He had thought I was just sharing feelings not actually saying that I thought he shouldn’t book. He offered (eventually) to cancel. But I didn’t want to be the wife that made him cancel especially not when he quite clearly was desperate to go even if I wasn’t super happy. As in he said “why don’t we see how you feel closer to the time - I can always cancel then”. Then he offered that he could fly back if I needed him. But of course I would never do that unless it was an emergency which he knows full well.

I have paid for our child care to come everyday (costing a fortune as usually I have her just a couple of hours not longer) just so I can try and have a shower, and not collapse with tiredness.

But I am really angry that I feel like I gave an inch and he took and ell. Am I being unreasonable?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What in the gently caress

Forget the family dynamic problems, call the police

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA: My husband left me with the baby for 9 days when I said I’d be ok with him having a weekend off and I’m really angry?

Getting some bummer vibes from her referring to the baby as "it", woof.

But yeah also... lady needs a spine infusion so she can actually be honest with her husband who managed to turn "hey a weekend away is fine, right?" to "hope you have a good time being sole caretaker for a baby for over a week". It's not fine, why would you tell him it's fine?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think we may have seen different Dunes.

She must be watching a different Pride & Prejudice too. Jane Austen is very well known for not having any interpersonal conflict or drama in her works.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for being visibly annoyed after the movie my gf picked to see and ruining our date?

OP's girlfriend and her friends are trash.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never read any Jane Austin but the pride and prejudice card game is a ton of fun.
https://www.marryingmrdarcy.com/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whoops I forgot Kate Beaton exists, I no longer hate Jane Austen or Pride & Prejudice now

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

P&P is great if you read it as a dark comedy. Same with Middlemarch.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I accidentally bought and installed digital surveillance equipment in your bedroom, lol" wouldn't really hold up in court I think.

E:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for denying a paternity test?

Paternity tests should be mandatory.

MassiveSky fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 16, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

don longjohns posted:

P&P is great if you read it as a dark comedy. Same with Middlemarch.

Most melodrama works well as comedy, The Cherry Orchard is kind of the ultimate version of this idea.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MassiveSky posted:

"I accidentally bought and installed digital surveillance equipment in your bedroom, lol" wouldn't really hold up in court I think.

E:

Paternity tests should be mandatory.

I believe we've already been through how that would be harmful pretty much only to women.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Midnight Voyager posted:

I believe we've already been through how that would be harmful pretty much only to women.

Deceit isn't a right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People can barely afford medicine as is and you want to waste resources on pointless paranoia

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

People can barely afford medicine as is and you want to waste resources on pointless paranoia

People should be allowed to be sure that the baby they're raising is in fact theirs without having to drag someone to court.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Nooooooopppppeeeeee we are NOT getting into a paternity test debate

Please move on

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
lol yeah shut that poo poo right down.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I’ve read “Pride / Prejudice” where everyone got gay with each other and it was infinitely more entertaining.

“Pride & Prejudice + Zombies” is also a really stupid, but very fun movie.

The only good thing from the original material is Colin Firth in a see through wet shirt. :colbert:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

The stories that come up in this thread that I have the hardest time believing are the ones featuring people in their early 20's who somehow own their own houses. If these people actually exist I am so bloody jealous.

i do know people like this, but in every case, it's because their parents died and left them the house or enough inheritance to buy one

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

AITA for telling me husband that either I leave or his daughter does?

quote:

I live with my husband and his daughter. My husband cheated on me with his daughter's mother early on in our relationship. I was upset when it happened but I tried to move past it. His daughter, Grace, knows about all of the cheating, I think this pushes her opinion about me. Me and Grace barely talk, she's always hated me. It never really effected me but more recently, she's been trying to get me and my husband to talk about her mother. I don't know her mother, her father is the only one who does. In his words, her mother left the baby with him and lost contact. Grace doesn't believe this story, nor does she believe that I don't know the mother. She's been asking me about it more often than usual. Of course I tell her the same thing every time but she doesn't listen. It got so bad that I finally told her that I'd try to talk to my husband about getting her in contact with her mother. My husband still swears he doesn't know where she went, so he was no help. I told Grace this, she called me liar and a snake. I haven't talk to her in weeks because of these comments but she still talks about me at family gatherings. I hardly cared until she told my mother about my job. My mother tried to get me to pay for her house in the past, I told her I was unemployed and that my husband payed for everything, that's was a lie. My mother made a scene and made it clear that I wasn't going to be seen as her daughter anymore. Grace ruined my relationship with my mother because it was unable to help her. Once we got home, I told my husband that either I leave or Grace does. Grace is 26, she has the money to move out but doesn't, she doesn't pay rent, she doesn't buy her own groceries, she does nothing. She only works 6 hours of the day and plays video games the rest of the time. I didn't think it was unreasonable for Grace to move out, but my husband said that I can make him choose between her and me, AITA?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ChickenDoodle posted:

The only good thing from the original material is Colin Firth in a see through wet shirt. :colbert:

:confused:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nashona posted:

That was not the twist I expected

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

It was 30 years ago and he was long-haired and dripping wet.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah, I’m fuckin’ old.

Troublemaker posted:

And he’s still gorgeous.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah, I’m fuckin’ old.

And he’s still gorgeous.

The firth time you felt that way, but hardly the lath.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Troublemaker posted:

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah, I’m fuckin’ old.

And he’s still gorgeous.

Still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hasKmDr1yrA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nashona posted:

Goddamn spoiler tags snatched me.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

hahaha gross

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for expecting my sister to pay for games her son bought on my switch?

quote:

Throwaway. I(m26) had my nephew "Stephen" over (m10) today. He realized he left his Nintendo switch at home and asked if he could play with mine so I said sure, handed it over to him and a couple games to pick from that were age appropriate for him. I get email notifications whenever I spend money on it and I got an email notification on my phone, from Nintendo, for two sixty dollar games. I realized what was happening and took the switch away from Stephen and told him he could no longer use it. He threw a tantrum and explained he wanted to play games he had that I didn't, but I stood my ground and refused to give it back.

When his mom "Hailee" (m30) came by to pick him up I explained what he did and she got pissed at him and said he's grounded. When they both left I tried to talk to support for a refund but I got denied. Ugh. I texted Hailee about it and asked if she could give me back the money that Stephen used from my credit card to buy those games, and she texted back "are you loving serious?" and that I should have parental controls set up. I don't really see why I should need to do all that when I'm not a parent and almost never have kids at the house though? I thought I was being pretty reasonable and asked if she could pay for even like, one game to smooth things over but she told me to piss off. So AITA?

Looks like the kid bought himself a few years of birthday and Xmas gifts. I'd just print a screenshot of the games he bought/stole and put it in a dollar store birthday card.

Reminds me of my nephew, who realized one night his mom's card was saved on his Fortnite account. He bought $50 of Fornite bucks, then when no one came to him upset, because this was at midnight and everyone was loving asleep, he dropped another $50. Cue the morning of his mom freaking out, and he, smart boy he is, had already spent all the money in game to cover his tracks. He told his mom she must have been hacked or had her credit card stolen. Cue a few days of dealing with the bank. The entire time he kept silent, or when asked, said he didn't do anything. At some point the bank/Microsoft was able to prove he had in fact spent $100 on in-game items, so they wouldn't honor a refund.

I think he got a "we're disappointed in you!" speech but other than that, if he was punished, it was something like no games for a week. Probably lasted all of two days, his parents really do the "boys will be boys!" attitude when it comes to him needing some kind of punishment.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 17, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for expecting my sister to pay for games her son bought on my switch?

Looks like the kid bought himself a few years of birthday and Xmas gifts. I'd just print a screenshot of the games he bought/stole and put it in a dollar store birthday card.

Reminds me of my nephew, who realized one night his mom's card was saved on his Fortnite account. He bought $50 of Fornite bucks, then when no one came to him upset, because this was at midnight and everyone was loving asleep, he dropped another $50. Cue the morning of his mom freaking out, and he, smart boy he is, had already spent all the money in game to cover his tracks. He told his mom she must have been hacked or had her credit card stolen. Cue a few days of dealing with the bank. The entire time he kept silent, or when asked, said he didn't do anything. At some point the bank/Microsoft was able to prove he had in fact spent $100 on in-game items, so they wouldn't honor a refund.

I think he got a "we're disappointed in you!" speech but other than that, if he was punished, it was something like no games for a week. Probably lasted all of two days, his parents really do the "boys will be boys!" attitude when it comes to him needing some kind of punishment.

And password-protect your account. I don't care how annoying it is to log in when you buy something for yourself, it's a good idea.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Barudak posted:

Goddamn spoiler tags snatched me.

When I first read it, I was like how old is she, and uh...

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

nashona posted:

In the comments, OP said she raised the girl as her own daughter and had a normal relationship until the daughter was 10. After that, the daughter disengaged and treated OP like a step parent. I just wonder what happened to get the daughter to turn like that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The Bramble posted:

Am I [13M] the rear end in a top hat for being concerned that my mom [46F] hired a holy man [47M] to treat my hemo[removed]

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't know if this has come up in the thread before, but would it be possible to provide a link to the posts when you're putting them here?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

edogawa rando posted:

I don't know if this has come up in the thread before, but would it be possible to provide a link to the posts when you're putting them here?

The AITA/relationships mods don’t like stuff going viral and attracting comments from outside the existing community, and they can tell when stuff is being read by a large number of outsiders following links (through HTTP referrers). Googling the complete title of a post will almost always find it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for complimenting my boss's body?

I (24m) work as a supervisor at a fast food joint. My former boss (28?f) is extremely attractive. She left due to finding another job. When she first started we got along fine, but she became quite distant and started acting stand-offish towards me.

About 2 weeks after she started acting weird around me, she asked the owner of the restaurant to get a new door for the back entrance as she is quite small and struggled to close the door when she would lock at night (the door was overlapping the hinges at the top). I was there when she asked and I said "maybe its a good excersice so that you could build up your arms a little, to match your thick thighs." She gave me a weird look and I said that it wasn't meant as an insult, that she is in great shape.

She ignored me and I saw her talking to my colleague, a female supervisor, and they both have been super weird with me since. I don't think I did anything wrong. Am I the rear end?

Edit on the "getting fired" comments: I think she did speak to head office but I get along great with the director in charge of our store. He hasn't said anything or been acting weird toward me at all so I really don't think I did anything wrong

dude doubles down repeatedly in the replies - and the former boss shows up too:

Former boss comment
A friend sent this to me and told me to piggyback on the top comment? So here goes!

I am the woman in this post. Do you see now, Andrew? 1. Yes, we did get along in the beginning. 2. I don't know what you mean by my "potty mouth", as I had only F-bombed a few times. One of which you felt it appropriate to respond with: gently caress? gently caress. (Then almost chanting to yourself) don't say anything, there's a lady. Don't say anything, there's a lady here. 3. I caught you staring at me MULTIPLE TIMES and I asked you to keep professional eye level. 4. Megan, the other supervisor, informed me that your ex made some claims about things you did to her, so major creep vibes right there that already solidified your creep vibes. 5. You STINK! How many times did I have to address the staff on personal hygiene??? Even after a day off, your clothes stank of sweat! 6. I did approach head office, and you know what I was told? "Oh he's a good boy. Sam thinks he has great potential." 7. And yes, I left because of the toxic work environment where some middle aged men in their big rear end BMWs thought I was being dramatic.

So, gently caress the restaurant chain.