Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arghy posted:

What is this eve or the loving catholic church??

the spacepope didn't show up to fanfest until the year after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I repeat: what in the actual gently caress?

Edit: whoever that person is should be banned and then banned again just to be safe but that post should hang above the doorway to Eve Online for all eternity as a baleful warning to those who would cross the threshold

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been agonizing for days over whether or not to post in this thread. Meanwhile, I've been mashing F5 since this poo poo kicked off.

I don't really know where to begin, other than to say I'm so goddamn sorry for the reprehensible poo poo I did. My time with goonfleet is as filled with good memories and times as it is with regrets. A lot of regrets over things I did. If some of you still hate me, I understand there really isn't much I can do to make up for what I did, and that apologies coming from me probably don't mean much to you. It's deserved.

The past week in this thread has made me run the gamut of emotions, including extreme anxiety over knowing that me posting here could end my tenure on the only forum that ever felt like home to me online. Right now, my heart is racing, and thoughts of, "You're going to end up permabanned," are at the forefront of my mind. There is a mountain of "not a good look" skeletons in my closet.

I would like to set the record straight on a couple of things. I don't know if this will give anyone any insight or closure, but I feel the need to do it.

Earlier in the thread, deadtear and FNLN brought up some events surrounding eronarn, kirtaner, and myself. I felt nothing but shame when this was brought up, but still refrained from posting and that has weighed on me heavily.

Eronarn was not the person who defaced the monument, that was me. And when it comes to that event, I hope I suffer more sleepless nights than the three goons I threw under the bus while I flew out of the country. My chance to make amends to them passed around the moment I threw them under the bus and put them through (from what has been relayed to me) a very hellish experience. These were three people who thought I was their friend, and when the moment came for me to fess up and make good, I poo poo on them and then made good from relative safety and basically got away with it aside from paying to replace the tile and donating like $1500 to a youth camp CCP picked.

When I arrived at Fanfest 2014, I was already pretty burned out on the game, and had unsubbed most of my accounts. I actually only went because I had already bought the ticket and paid for the flight and deposit for the airbnb. This meant the ban, which was only 6 months, not lifetime, meant very little to me, and nobody seemed to care about deadtear constantly calling me out over it. I moved on to other games still under the Imperium banner and found myself in a leadership position in WoL playing MechWarrior Online with a bunch of folks who I fully expect have a much worse opinion of me than I them, considering that I was kicked out after calling Obama the n-word. Eventually I just sorta became a jabber denizen and left jabber after getting tired of arguing with koreamax.

I was also intensely lovely to a transgender member of sigma and my heart breaks thinking about it. I unfairly lashed out at a lot of people because of my own pain and I'm sorry.

I have a lot of sleepless nights over this poo poo. I really wish I could make up for it, but it really feels like I can't do more than offer words. :smith:

As for the non-EVE but still bad poo poo...

Coming up with 420chan is, without a doubt, the biggest single regret of my life. That dominos meme of lowtax banning LF leading to Trump being elected, I feel like I, or at least 420chan, was one of the dominos. We definitely had a lot of pedophiles on the site in the early days before the invasion and hacker bullshit, and at times it felt like I was the only person who was trying to keep them away, the /pedo/ board and #pedo irc channel were very real, and I trolled both relentlessly (along with another goon who is suffering from severe mental health struggles so I'll leave his name out) until they left to start 12chan. I never reported a single one of them to the authorities though, because at the time I did not care so much about what they did so long as it was not on my website. Years later, kirt I knew what he was permabanned from here for, and even now I still do not believe that he is a pedophile, though I do think his discord is grooming children (to commit computer crime). I don't associate with him at all anymore, and at the time of this post, 420chan has been offline for about a week, hopefully never to return.

Another thing that was actually very hard for me to read about was the mention of the foursome at the anime convention. Myself, kirt, eronarn, and I think one of the other participants in the foursome, were allowed to crash in someone else's hotel room for the night. I slept on a chair with my bag on the floor next to me, with a bunch of benzos (mainly ativan), and kirt had some amphetamines of some sort (i never found out which) he'd scored along with some mdma. At some point in the night, kirt stole the benzos out of my bag and attempted to intentionally OD on the amphetamines and the benzos, as his girlfriend had just broken up with him, he'd gotten a pity gently caress from another woman, and I assume wanted to die. Anyways, this led to him being not even remotely cognizant of his surroundings or what was going on, and he passed out on the bed with eronarn and the other two. I woke up a few hours later, grabbed my bag, and scooted into the washroom to have a shower because everyone else seemed to be still asleep.

Kirtaner would barely classify as conscious during all of this, the foursome was actually him being sexually assaulted by eronarn and two other men. The only thing I am willing to defend him on is this, he was an unwilling participant and Eronarn assaulted him, and I loving saw it happen. I did nothing about it though, I didn't know kirt wasn't conscious until hours later when frantically searching for the missing benzos and then got caught up in the fact my best friend had intentionally tried to OD rather than that he'd been raped by three men.

Kirtaner was my best friend for a long time (after he was permabanned from here), and we started and ran 420chan together. We had a falling out around the time Chanology was in full swing over the way the site was being run: he wasn't moderating and was using me as a money faucet. We reconnected years later and he got me a job and I was best man at his wedding, to the woman he'd been with for 12 years. We had another falling out around the time he started doing all the "I'm the Founder of Anonymous," and vice news article poo poo. He's gone completely off the deep end and self-medicates with meth. On the other hand, it's very striking to me how much he and mittani act the same, not from the "tweaked out maniac" perspective, but the narcissistic sociopath perspective. Mittani is like Kirtaner if he'd grown up with rich lawyer parents instead of a poor and abusive broken home and vice versa. I think having met both in person is why I see it like that. The parallels are uncanny to me, and I can't help but really feel like I have the absolute loving worst judgement for friends.

gently caress, that feels like a load off but I'm still shaking. Once again, I'm so loving sorry.

h o l y f u c k

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

FirstnameLastname posted:

h o l y f u c k

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Identity is huge. Being part of something bigger than yourself that you can point to and be proud of is a real human urge, even though in the grand scheme of things an internet spaceship guild is kind of a silly thing to build a tribal identity around, it is at the same time a lot less potentially harmful than the sorts of 'real world' tribal identities people can end up invested in.

A lot of the anger and hurt expressed about the culture of harassment and toxicity comes from a place of no longer being able to feel proud about that identity, no longer wanting to identify with a tribe that acts in a way that is so contrary to our personal morals and expectations, feeling disgusted that that identity is being used for ill.

And I think a lot of the vehement denials of wrongdoing and minimizations and plugging-their-ears-and-humming from those who are sticking up for mittens' bullshit is the fear of having that identity threatened, wanting to avoid the dissonance of identifying with something monstrous and so choosing to believe instead that it's all lies made up by those outside the tribe to destroy it.

a good post.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

So uh hey. Eve. Eve online.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Poe's Law

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rhymenoserous posted:

Eve. Eve online.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I hear it is a game about spaceships?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

definitely seems safer than eve offline

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

I swear if one more person comes out of the woodwork with some spooky scary skeleton poo poo i'm going to lose my absolute mind

BigPaddy posted:

all powered by skeletons in our closet

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BigPaddy posted:

Game about spaceships is a euphemism at this point

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I’m losing my mind right now, I think I’m gonna pop a weed gummy and re-read Tinals post because holy poo poo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’m losing my mind right now, I think I’m gonna pop a weed gummy and re-read Tinals post because holy poo poo.

No don’t.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mass grave of skeletons

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Rhymenoserous posted:

pop the gummy, dont reread the post

KerenskyWhite
May 23, 2008
I just don't know what even at this point.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
“So why’d you quit Eve online”

/tugs nervously at collar

“Well I saw this guy passed out on benzos get gang raped”

/cue laugh track

/bowtie spins

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you do this you will be sent straight to hell fyi

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
just checking the tally board of sins here

doxxing
rampant misogyny
casual racism, homophobia, and transphobia
knowingly harboring a pedophile
and now, a literal rape

:allbuttons:

gas this thread before it gets any worse, jfc

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

If you do this you will be sent straight to hell fyi

It’s cool

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

FirstnameLastname posted:

h o l y f u c k

Jfc, not empty posting.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I just gave it to my fiancé to read instead and she’s like “and this is all about a video game huh?”

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Well then

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Jazzzzz posted:

doxxing
rampant misogyny
and now, a literal rape

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

General_Disturbed posted:

I feel this in my soul. I loved this game as a younger man and the culture goons had in it. There is a fantastic video of a fanfest where Suas is singing little bees with DJ and everyone around and looking at that now is just like a hole where something good used to be. Everybody who made this game good is just gone or burned out or turned out to be a giant shitler. I was listing out on discord the squads and groups I was in over the years that had a gun put to their head in the name of ~THE IMPERIUM~ and just laughing that Delta Squad is just the next one as I watch all my remaining eve friends discuss whether they'll even bother to continue playing now that it was their turn on the chopping block.

Some real talk for a second. What you're feeling is hindsight being 20/20. It's important, because it helps us learn to be better -- but it can also be a ravenous loving brainmonster that sucks all the loving joy out of your memories.

It's important to let it have its say, but don't give it more than you have to. Keep your good memories. Acknowledge that you didn't notice some of the currents under the surface back then, and next time you'll keep a better eye on folks. And then move on, take the good and leave the bad.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Jazzzzz posted:

doxxing
rampant misogyny
and now, a literal rape

CAN IT GET WORSE? Can it REALLY?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is this guy claiming to be kirtaner

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Some real talk for a second. What you're feeling is hindsight being 20/20. It's important, because it helps us learn to be better -- but it can also be a ravenous loving brainmonster that sucks all the loving joy out of your memories.

It's important to let it have its say, but don't give it more than you have to. Keep your good memories. Acknowledge that you didn't notice some of the currents under the surface back then, and next time you'll keep a better eye on folks. And then move on, take the good and leave the bad.

I mean I stopped doing stratop poo poo way early in my career because durr and boat chain harassed a black woman off coms and I got so disturbed that none of the directors were stopping it I begged a titan pilot to send me home. This was the 6VDT siege.

When they started shutting down all the squads aggressively I saw no point in playing anymore.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
No thats Tinal of sigma squad

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

doxxing
rampant misogyny
and now, a literal rape

If you think that's bad, a log just got posted of someone confessing to murder and illegally entering Iran to extirpate someone.

No, this isn't a joke. I wish it was.

Frank Frank posted:

CAN IT GET WORSE? Can it REALLY?

:shepface:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oh, no, kirtaner's friend

jesus christ

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

i meant actual real hell irl not just mind hell

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This thread is probably now to be scraped by bellingcat lol

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I can't even fathom how a guild in an online game can turn into this kind of psychotic insanity. Reading this thread the past couple of days has been a real horror show, and even now there's still posts from "the leadership" like its not just a bunch of spacegame nerds being guild leaders and lording over a web forum and a voice chat server. I played eve from around 2004-2008. I remember the war against BoB and playing with theta squad, and back then it was mostly just another guild in just another MMO. I had nothing but fun in the game, and everyone in Theta seemed like nice people- though I can't remember anyones names anymore. There was a lot of terrible "edgy internet" culture in GF back then, but it was within the same degree of what was happening on SA. At some point it looks like the whole thing went completely off the rails and GF became about cargoculting guild leaders in an online game, and some real weirdos at that. Every other revelation being posted is about actions that constitute real-life crime and/or personal that would get you ostracized from any real-life social group. There's never been a SA guild in any online game without drama, but there's never been anything as toxic as whatever this mess is.

Dante fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 17, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

doxxing
rampant misogyny
and now, a literal rape

Keep it open. This is what always was and it has to end.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

The Shortest Path posted:

If you think that's bad, a log just got posted of someone confessing to murder and illegally entering Iran to extirpate someone.

No, this isn't a joke. I wish it was.

:shepface:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitch.tv/dashducks

Anyway this is a DashDucks thread now and did you know if you subscribe to their channel you can feed the ducks once a day for free??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

“So why’d you quit Eve online”

/tugs nervously at collar

“Well I saw this guy passed out on benzos get gang raped”

/cue laugh track

/bowtie spins