Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excuse you.

Time Kompression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No joke FF8 has the best music FFI thru X, which are all the ones I know. Plot is dumb as poo poo, gameplay is ambitious and cool but not great and a failed experiment like II, but that music! :kiss:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I also remember a cowboy with a trenchcoat and gun, but not in a Vincent way I think? I have the game on Switch I really should play it again since I was in middle school but ehhhh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

FF8 owns and its OST loving slaps hard.

But FF6 is Uematsu's masterpiece.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The plot for 8 is absolutely nonsensical and deranged but tbh it still makes more sense than 7

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A big reveal of FFVIII is literally every one of your playable characters grew up at the super crazy no-way orphanage and had super crazy no-way selective amnesia. It’s so stupid and it rules

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the witch imprisoned in a space coffin whos constant angry yelling disrupts all radio frequencies

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

esperterra posted:

Excuse you.

Time Kompression.
I already told you, it's been a while!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I've been labouring under the impression I owned ff8 on steam and haven't bothered to pick it up on switch but apparently I only own 9 on steam? Hrm.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

esperterra posted:

FF8 owns and its OST loving slaps hard.

But FF6 is Uematsu's masterpiece.

It is in many ways, though it is limited by its medium.

Apart from 8, 6's songs are incredibly appropriate for their stages, which is saying something when a lot of songs are reused for different areas. 7 has some great tracks but it's not as well scored. 8 is both incredible and well-scored and the sound variety is such that you really get it. I think it lacks a single killer track, except for the Man with the Machine Gun, unlike 6 which has some incredible themes per character and for other areas, but the actual synthetic orchestration puts it above 6. It's an opinion I don't make lightly, it took me a long time to come to that conclusion, because 6 is absolutely my favorite FF, thanks to nostalgia, because unfortunately there are much better systems in later games. I stand by 10 being the best that I've played overall, but I do love 6 to pieces.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Probably unnecessary to figure this out this way, but the 4 on the far right column can only go in the top half. If it were in bottom half, then the 5/2/1 row would put an X in the second-last column, with a filled square above and below that X, which wouldn't work for the 2/4 column.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is Kirby 64 the most charming 3D Kirby game?

This gamer thinks so.

We take you now to a local man who distinctly remembers beating it during a single rental period with plenty of time to spare, but is now dying over and over to this baby game.

Have his gamer skills declined? Maybe newer Kirby games have just become that much easier over the years, and going back to moments of minimal challenge feel more difficult in comparison.

I don’t think that’s it. Merely he just appreciates the vibes more.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It is genuinely much easier to die in older Kirby games compared to newer ones, so no shame if you go back to an older Kirby game and find yourself being punished more often. Older ones pretty much went "you die in 6 hits" and that's it (Aside from the ones with a health bar). They don't give out health items super often either.

The later Kirby games actually really don't want you dying. Kirby gains more damage resistance the lower his HP is, so it effectively takes way more mistakes to die compared to an older game. Not only that, enemies and scenery drop food more often if you're at low health, further decreasing your chances of dying. (This is actually disabled in Wild Mode in Forgotten Land, but he still has his armor mechanic there.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Commander Keene posted:

Gimme a break, it's been like 25 years, I'm lucky I remember half the music in the game. I sure as gently caress don't remember most of the plot.

I was, being facetious... :negative:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mister Facetious posted:

I was, being facetious... :negative:
It's ok, so was I.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If one had to choose; Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin 2?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Pillars of Eternity never got fixed and is a buggy unplayable mess full of game-breaking issues. The devs even issued a statement saying "welp, this is too much effort sorry. No more updates!"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The plot for 8 is absolutely nonsensical and deranged but tbh it still makes more sense than 7

FF7's plot makes perfect sense.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

That’s, uh, an interesting take

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 7's plot owns final fantasy 8's plot is bad but also owns

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Takoluka posted:

FF7's plot makes perfect sense.

Oh, ok.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it does. the translation is poo poo terrible but the story fits together well enough and definitely leagues better than 8

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe they’ve only seen FF7R.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Even the remake is pretty straightforward.

Honestly outside 8 and the 13 sequelI would say FF actually has pretty straightforward plotting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is in many ways, though it is limited by its medium.

Apart from 8, 6's songs are incredibly appropriate for their stages, which is saying something when a lot of songs are reused for different areas. 7 has some great tracks but it's not as well scored. 8 is both incredible and well-scored and the sound variety is such that you really get it.

I think somewhere in this "oral history of FF7" composer Uematsu mentions how he was conservative to keep the loading times lower, but that Suikoden convinced him take a different approach for FF8.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No joke FF8 has the best music FFI thru X, which are all the ones I know. Plot is dumb as poo poo, gameplay is ambitious and cool but not great and a failed experiment like II, but that music! :kiss:

Yeah definitely. Also was a HUGE step up from FF7 quality wise when it first came out, the FF7 > 8 transition almost felt like a new generation with the much better graphics, at the time ridiculously high detail summon animations, higher music quality. I think everyone I knew was incredibly impressed by the FF8 opening cinematic and then never finished the game lol

But even modern versions of the FF8 music regardless of that are great, I think it still has some of the best music in the series. Location based stuff like the World Map (Blue Fields), Balamb Garden are still some of my favorite FF8 tracks, I loooved when the Shadowbringers FF14 expansion went deep into FF8 stuff and remixed a lot of the music.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The story of FF7 does have an unreliable narration for quite a large portion, and characters that outright lie or are wrong. It all fits together and isn't supercomplicated, but if you played it as a kid it could throw you if that was your first exposure to those things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the ff7 translation is mondo bad bordering on unintelligible at times, but apparently the actual underlying story is cool and coherent which i only found out after a video series diving into the translation (let's mosey, worth looking at)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF7 is fine except for noted terrible character Cait Sith, I wish someone would mod him out and replace him with a cool brooding badass with a Biblical name.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but they've made Cait Sith a lot more compelling in the remake. Or Reeves, at least. I assume given Reeves is a lot more compelling then Cait Sith would be

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I played FF7 back in the day and have no idea who Reeves is.

From memory (this will be fun only to me), party members include:

Cloud
Barret
Aeris/Aerith
Tina
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
Red XIII

who am I missing?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Reeve is the Shinra guy controlling Cait Sith

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only part i was kind of totally lost in the ff7 plot was the bit where nobody had any idea what to do so they were like "uh let's go stop whatever the Shinra guys are doing" and you collect Huge Materia for like a disc

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Your Computer posted:

the ff7 translation is mondo bad bordering on unintelligible at times, but apparently the actual underlying story is cool and coherent which i only found out after a video series diving into the translation (let's mosey, worth looking at)

"This guy are sick"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Divinity, by a lot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Silegna posted:

"This guy are sick"

Tbh the typos are just typos, it's more areas where the translation totally breaks down like Fort Condor, probably because it was an optional area and low on the priority list given how fast the translation was done

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
“Off course!” in the Gold Saucer always confused me as a kid. I thought I was missing something. Translation/typo never occurred to me.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

7's non-extended-universe plot makes absolute perfect sense. All the bullshit they retconned into it so they could print more money is what makes it all incomprehensible.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

7's non-extended-universe plot makes absolute perfect sense. All the bullshit they retconned into it so they could print more money is what makes it all incomprehensible.

It still makes sense, imo, but the writing for that stuff is really bad. I'm down with a story about all the stuff Zack did prior to the Nibelheim events, but we didn't need to introduce an origin story to the Buster Sword. Crisis Core should have given some further context to what Shinra was up to, had you fight some Jenova monsters (let one of these be, like, a corrupted summon like Bahamut as the final boss), have a Sephiroth duel that you canonically lose, and then end off with the Shinra Zerg rush that breaks Cloud's mind. Make Angeal just some dude that Zack works with and Genesis a rival character. It would've been fine!

I can't even begin to gather my thoughts on Advent Children, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
FF8 was thumb destroying for me because my tactic was to summon over and over again, and FF8 summons had a Boost feature where you tap a button as fast as you can to make the summon stronger. Just an excuse to have something to "do" during the unskippable cutscene, but are compelled to because of course you want it stronger. This was how I played because I was having a hard time because I was dumb and didn't get the junction system. Had no idea you could break the games difficulty with it.