Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
For how much everyone here seems to hate superheroes and comics you sure talk about them a lot.

There's a Sandman show that's gonna be on Netflix next month, that I'm gonna watch, but also don't have that high hopes for. Not because I pre-preemptively think it wont be "good", just the task of matching the comics and my old self's feelings for them is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This sounded off to me somehow and then I realized we only have one chewing gum brand :newlol:

e: ...he said, posting a picture with three brands visible. I forgor about Xylimax and of course there's the store brand.

ee: How can gum be "professional"?

I like that one of these is cube flavour

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

For how much everyone here seems to hate superheroes and comics you sure talk about them a lot.

Hey I like comics, don’t lump me in with the goon hivemind

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

A person who doesn't like or care about super heroes cannot ever be disappointed by them. Only a person who wants to like super heroes but is perpetually disappointed by them can really hate them. A person who watches a single Avengers film and goes "well, that wasn't very good" and moves on with their life, never watching another, will have very little to say on the subject. A person who watches all of the Avengers films, hoping each time that this one will finally live up to the potential they see for it? That person will rant for hours about how much they hate it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

A person who doesn't like or care about super heroes cannot ever be disappointed by them. Only a person who wants to like super heroes but is perpetually disappointed by them can really hate them. A person who watches a single Avengers film and goes "well, that wasn't very good" and moves on with their life, never watching another, will have very little to say on the subject. A person who watches all of the Avengers films, hoping each time that this one will finally live up to the potential they see for it? That person will rant for hours about how much they hate it.

Name a single fandom for which this is not true. I contend that it's true for all -- Trekkies, basketball fans, Royal Family followers, K-Pop stans, and everything else you can think of -- and it ultimately boils down to "fans of a thing can be wounded by that thing in ways that non-fans are immune to".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As a non-fan of Batman, I am offended that they keep making more Batman movies. It's gotta be one of the most boring stories ever told, and they keep telling it over and over. Please stop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

Name a single fandom for which this is not true. I contend that it's true for all -- Trekkies, basketball fans, Royal Family followers, K-Pop stans, and everything else you can think of -- and it ultimately boils down to "fans of a thing can be wounded by that thing in ways that non-fans are immune to".

Investing yourself into consumer products is inherently unhealthy and harmful, yes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

some of my friend insisted we go to the new thor movie. i fell asleep at the start and woke up by the end. time well spent

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there should be a single global rule about how to use quotation marks

" should be the primary, outer signs, ' should be the inner signs, because the smaller mark is interior and inferior to the bigger mark and the double quotes are more obvious and readable than single quotes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The obvious correct choice is what I like to call « guillemet supremacy »

Look at those bad boys. They don't hide behind the letters like the pathetic "

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I didn't mean to imply that it's unique to super heroes. Just responding to doverhog's observation, which was specifically about super heroes but could also apply to other categories.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Batman is really cool, but Batman projects should only be made by people with the emotional ages of either 8 or like 30. Batman gets bad when it's either adolescent edgy poo poo or GQ magazine looking "real-world" wealth worship tacticool poo poo. It's about a guy who has no parents so can stay up as late as he wants but can also protect himself (and others) from scary clowns and people with hosed up faces.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

" should be the primary, outer signs, ' should be the inner signs, because the smaller mark is interior and inferior to the bigger mark and the double quotes are more obvious and readable than single quotes

In Swedish they just use a single hyphen, nothing to delineate the end of the dialogue.

Irvine Welsh is even worse he doesn't use anything.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the matrix is a strangely underused franchise for videogames, probably because at the time it came out the industry was particularly bad at handling licensed games properly. there should be a game based on the machine war from the animatrix, maybe an RTS with that robot horse as a buffing unit for the machine side

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Last RTS I played was Starcraft 2, is that a genre that really exists anymore?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
loving Age of Empires has a massive twitch following and just recently got both an expansion for 2 and a brand new game. It's as around as it ever was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wanna play that new Warhammer one where your general can pledge to a Chaos God and become a Daemon Prince over the course of the campaign

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is such a backlog of games on my steam that I never even open it anymore. Never have any free time for them due to work, working out, "etc".

Sometimes there is a fleeting wish I'd get fired so I'd have time for games, but not really, already went there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shithouse Dave posted:

I like that one of these is cube flavour

That one is actually really good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There have been like 18 different batmans in my lifetime, but none match Adam West. A character like that is fantastic when he goes ka-pow off screen and wears a stupid outfit. The tactical batmen suck rear end.

So does tactical Joker. Joaquin Phoenix sucked. Heath Ledger sucked harder. That whole movie was awful and Heath was the worst part. Now we're supposed to pretend it's the punchman Citizen Kane because he went off and died.

The idea we need to be nice to dead people is also dumb. If I get run over tomorrow, the correct response isn't "drat his posts were really good actually."

The second Nolan Batman film is really great, maybe one of my favourite movies of all time but 1 and 3 are nowhere near the quality, 1 is way too slow and 3 is just a jumbled incomprehensible mess of ideas

I have a lot of misplaced affection for Batman Forever since it was the first VHS tape I ever owned and i've seen it dozens of times

I've not seen a single Batman or tangentially Batman related movie or property since 2012's Dark Knight Rises Again or whatever the gently caress it was called, they make so loving many of them it just becomes incomprehensible; Gotham, Joker, Suicide Squad, some new Batman with the Twilight guy, some Batman v Superman thing, it's a bit much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're just Batman movies why are you even thinking about them, like, ever lmao.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Batman Returns is the best Batman film. Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer give truly great performances and it has a nice weird feel to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Holy rusted metal, Batman" is the best line in modern movies, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Batman Forever had Kiss From a Rose and that U2 song that's pretty good. I'll remember the soundtrack way more than the movie.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Unpopular opinion which I do not actually hold: Kiss From A Rose sucks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

Unpopular opinion which I do not actually hold: Kiss From A Rose sucks

It sucks less than the loving stupid Prince Batman track but then so does UB40.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shibawanko posted:

That's already the preferred usage.

Fun fact: the only author I've ever read who routinely gets up to three nested layers of quotations is Arthur Conan Doyle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Batman and Spiderman are the only superheroes I like but I don't actually know why I like them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dear Mail-Man* here's my ranking of super heroes

1) Hulk
2) Mustanaamio
3) Adam Warlock
4) Captain Marvel
5) Ant-Man

*) tiätäjät tiätää

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People don't love TDK because Ledger died, they love it because it's Heat, and Heat kicks rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The difference is Heat has fun actors, while Dark Knight is 3 hours of extremely lame "gritty" takes of comic book punchmen hamming at the camera. I have low standards. I hoot and holler for the twilight 4 dream sequence battle. But I can't understand how people enjoy the Bale bats man.

Side phuo: seriously watch the twilight final battle. It's this enormous endless scene of goths and terrible cgi dogs ripping each others' heads off (only way a twilight vampire can die) on an ice like as Michael Sheen does his best italian Emperor Palpatine, then smash cut woops it was all a dream no one died. Now that's cinema.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jul 16, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

That's already the preferred usage.

Fun fact: the only author I've ever read who routinely gets up to three nested layers of quotations is Arthur Conan Doyle.

there's large parts of the world where they do it the other way around, it's annoying also when you have to write code

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The difference is Heat has fun actors, while Dark Knight is 3 hours of extremely lame "gritty" takes of comic book punchmen hamming at the camera. I have low standards. I hoot and holler for the twilight 4 dream sequence battle. But I can't understand how people enjoy the Bale bats man.

Side phuo: seriously watch the twilight final battle. It's this enormous endless scene of goths and terrible cgi dogs ripping each others' heads off (only way a twilight vampire can die) on an ice like as Michael Sheen does his best italian Emperor Palpatine, then smash cut woops it was all a dream no one died. Now that's cinema.

Angel was poo poo but the way they did the final battle was 10/10.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Batman Forever had Kiss From a Rose
That song will always be "the Batman song" to me. It seemed like it was played nonstop on the radio and used in all the ads and was just everywhere. And I never even saw the movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cinéma and CGI do not belong in the same sentence

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Cinéma and CGI do not belong in the same sentence

I dunno about that. Films like Fury Road have CGI in them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only films that are filmed on film should be called films.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That seems like an old person talking about how things used to be better when they were just more inconvenient.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also think milk should only be called milk if it's actually milk from an animal. Almonds don't have milk. It's more like almond juice, not milk.

doverhog posted:

That seems like an old person talking about how things used to be better when they were just more inconvenient.

It's more the other way in that I think the term "film" should be phased out completely when we stop using film. It's just movie.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't care what they call almond juice.