Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Fun Fact about the Stealer of Pants bit: Hancock brings it up regardless of whether or not you have done HW Hildy.

I'll also start bringing up some of the StB abilites as we go, since they're no longer tied to job quests beyond the 70 buttons. WAR gets their gapcloser here at 62: Onslaught. Instead of a cooldown and charges, it used to have a 20 point Beast Gague cost. Since the cost was less efficient than using it on your other meter dumps, you only ever used it if you were going to lose GCDs by staying out too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The spooky-wooky Sirensong Sea is more of an homage to the Ship Graveyard dungeon from Final Fantasy V than anything else, really. Oddly enough, Dawnbound (how do you like the thrills and chills remix of La Noscea's theme, On Westerly Winds?) was not obtainable until Endwalker launched as an orchestrion roll! Well, whatever.

If you're interested about in more about the dungeon's setting, well, the Encyclopaedia Eorzea Vol. II goes over every dungeon up through its release (the middle of Stormblood) has this to say about it: it's near Thavnair, and was intended to serve as a lighthouse for the local waters. To that end it was constructed with prison labor, but Weird poo poo happened and none of the supplies or relief sent after them made it there or back so the government in Radz-at-Han eventually abandoned efforts to salvage the operation. Technically this is the first Thavnairian instance of the game! Lorelei is basically the stand-in for the boss of the Ship Graveyard since she's described as an undead siren.

Now that Kheris is in Kugane, I hope she can find some time to take in the sights between her busy schedule!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hancock is a favourite of mine. Even in just this first scene, it's clear that he's like his boss; a potentially powerful ally, but still someone you'd rather not associate with if you had the choice.

And yes, Triumph is an excellent end-of-dungeon boss theme. Always a welcome experience when I get SB dungeons in roulettes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
One of my favorite dialogue flavor texts is if you talk to one of the Scions (can't remember which) on the ship before queuing up for the dungeon. They remark how it is fortunate your adventuring buddies have booked passage on the same ship and are just below deck.

Love my off screen friends.

I also have never played FFXI, but I remember a wave of nostalgia the first time the FFXI cross-over event played from former players.

The art style really holdups well after 20 years too.

Kugane is my favorite city in the game and the one I usually log off at. Stormblood is the first expansion where they didn't have to support the Playstation 3 and it's immediately noticeable since the city isn't split into two separate zones like the three ARR cities and Ishgard are.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Welcome to the best (dressed) Grand Company! :black101:

Re: Iroha - I played FF11 for many, many years; when I did this quest, seeing the images of Prishe, Aphmau, Naja, and Cait Sith... it brought tears to my eyes (like it is literally doing now!). Unlike you, they were friends for me; people I fought alongside, comrades I saved the world with.

...I think back when you did the FF15 event, you expressed a nostalgia for WoW; a desire to go back and see all your old friends and allies there, remember the good times you had with them. That's how I feel about FF11 now: nostalgia, a longing for what I had then and a desire to go "home", in a way, even knowing it will never actually happen. Bittersweet and sad, in a way, but not in a way that leaves me with many regrets.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hancock is such a smug little dipshit and I love him, but he genuinely likes you and I like that too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah, Sirensong Sea is one of my favorite dungeons, it has such a great atmosphere, and all the bosses are fun. And a fun reference to the ship graveyard in FFV, where you also fight a siren that is actually an undead monster.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Insolvent Industry is a top tier name.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hancock is the best. And also the worst. And also the best.

Welcome to Fantasy Nagasaki! Don't mind the adventurers falling from the sky as you exit the Hostelry, it's something of a local tradition.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You've made it to Kugane. It's time to take on a true challenge.

Kheris do the tower jumping puzzle.

Including The Jump.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
My favourite thing to do after reaching a new town is to explore it thoroughly and I have to say Kugane completely charmed me with it's aesthetics and music the moment I stepped off the ship. It probably still is my favorite city out of all which have been released this far.

I wonder how does it compare to previous towns such as Ishgard and the 3 ARR for the rest of you.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I have mixed feelings about Kugane as an expansion hub city that I’ll get into when we’re further in, but I cannot deny that the vibes are excellent and it’s a really fun place to explore. Also Hancock is there, and he sucks but in an extremely fun way. Definitely my favorite used car salesman in spirit, if not in actual job description.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

shoc77 posted:

My favourite thing to do after reaching a new town is to explore it thoroughly and I have to say Kugane completely charmed me with it's aesthetics and music the moment I stepped off the ship. It probably still is my favorite city out of all which have been released this far.

I wonder how does it compare to previous towns such as Ishgard and the 3 ARR for the rest of you.

Yeah, Kugane is still the place I go to just hang out while waiting in a long queue or to shop on the market board or whatever. Not that the other expansion cities are bad, but Kugane has unbeatable vibes, and everything is pretty close together.

Ishgard might edge it out except for how it's split into two zones, with awkward aetheryte placement.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't like the way Ishgard is laid out or the vibes, but there's one functional reason I'll always choose Kugane over it - I pretty much have unopposed reign of my FC's company chest and Ishgard doesn't have one sitting out for easy access. :mad:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maiden’s Rhapsody has re-run a few times, but there was another FFXI crossover that sadly never re-ran as far as I know. I think the reward from it is on the cash shop now, so it'll never come back, like the FFXII crossover.

The original event had Shantotto crossing over, from what I gather she's a mage who is incredibly full of herself, but is also probably the most powerful mage ever to exist in her world so she can back up her ego.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqF1eamUjR8

Never played FFXI myself, might give it a go some day.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hogama posted:

I don't like the way Ishgard is laid out or the vibes, but there's one functional reason I'll always choose Kugane over it - I pretty much have unopposed reign of my FC's company chest and Ishgard doesn't have one sitting out for easy access. :mad:

This is one of the benefits of having your own house (though apartment or FC room works too). I craft a lot so functional furniture like the NPC vendors is something I use pretty much all the time. I also check the FC chest whenever I'm around since in PBC the first tab is used for music/minion dumping. House aetheryte also has the benefit of being on the lowest costing tier of teleports

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sirensong Sea is great and I love it, yes.

As for Kugane itself...well, it looks very pretty.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Sirensong, with the wailing theremin-based music, really brings to mind cheesy sci-fi B-movies to me, and it's always a treat to have it pop up in roulettes

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Algid posted:

This is one of the benefits of having your own house (though apartment or FC room works too). I craft a lot so functional furniture like the NPC vendors is something I use pretty much all the time. I also check the FC chest whenever I'm around since in PBC the first tab is used for music/minion dumping. House aetheryte also has the benefit of being on the lowest costing tier of teleports
The problem is not having a market board in the house.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To paraphrase a comment I saw about Triumph, the first time you hear the Stormblood boss theme, you're basically going through a ghost story but at the very end Braveheart charges into the room out of nowhere shouting FOR FREEDOM and chops the ghost's head off.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Triumph loving slaps.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hogama posted:

The problem is not having a market board in the house.

Yeah, that's the one real advantage of a house at a good plot (and gardening and subs I guess).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
All apartment buildings have a retainer bell and market board right outside, stuff the vendors and a company chest inside and you're good to go.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Apartment complexes even have Chocobo stables, although you do have to provide your own food. But the bug guys sell chocobo feeds fruits and vegetables if you level them enough.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is where my mind was back when the story was in early HW and Sang was very unhappy with Lolorito. And it's sort of what I was alluding to that in both regions he has used his money to ferment resistance in foreign lands so Eorzea need not be swarmed with refugees. Let's just hope this one goes better than his adventure with Ala Mhigo.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I guess stealing an old man's set of armor and leaving him for dead in Malboro-infested ruins spreads pretty far. How exactly is a question that'll never be answered.

Anyway, Triumph is a freaking hella good song.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That comment about the pants is apparently still there even if you don't do Hildibrand, but I think I did HW Hildibrand before Stormblood.

Sirensong Sea is nice and Triumph isn't a bad song, but I was tired of it by the end of Stormblood. I was hoping we'd get a new boss theme in the patches, like Revenge Twofold, and it doesn't help that "Storm of blood, born from blood" is half of the soundtrack!

Anyway, I don't know much about Iroha, but this Lalafell I know that plays XI tells me that Iroha's master is the player character from XI. I vaguely recognize the Shadow Lord and Prishe, the latter because she was in Dissidia, but I couldn't tell you much about XI's characters aside from the fact that they exist, that there is a Raubahn in XI who is a bad guy (and also a Blue Mage?), and that Shantotto is a murderous little gremlin that sounds like Madame Foster.

Veotax posted:

Maiden’s Rhapsody has re-run a few times, but there was another FFXI crossover that sadly never re-ran as far as I know. I think the reward from it is on the cash shop now, so it'll never come back, like the FFXII crossover.

The original event had Shantotto crossing over, from what I gather she's a mage who is incredibly full of herself, but is also probably the most powerful mage ever to exist in her world so she can back up her ego.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqF1eamUjR8

Never played FFXI myself, might give it a go some day.

Shantotto is a very powerful Tarutaru, the XI version of Lalafell, who is also completely nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sTJ2irHVJg

She is (ostensibly) on the good guys' side, but one expansion apparently deals with her good and evil halves splitting from her body, and both of them want to take over the world. She also is unable to be defeated whenever you fight her, with the reveal that it was just one of her dolls if you lose, and it actually being her beating you up if you win. The character Shatotto in XIV is an obvious homage to her, albeit significantly more approachable and less prone to rhyme schemes.

Shantotto also serves as the original hero (and initially the only character!) representing Final Fantasy XI in Dissidia, with Prishe and Kam'lanaut being added in later games. Dissidia tones down her "chaotic good" tendencies, from what I understand, though in the backstory for the original game, she gets bored of fighting for the hero side and just blows open a hole in space-time to escape the Dissidia war to go back to her research. Most of the villains in the original game are also very reverent of her in their pre-battle dialogue.

Dissidia NT has her return to actually take part in the current story as opposed to only fighting Gabranth and Garland in flashbacks, which allows her to interact with the other main characters from the other fourteen titles (and Y'shtola), as well as have a rap battle with Ultimecia.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 17, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Dissidia NT has her return to actually take part in the current story as opposed to only fighting Gabranth and Garland in flashbacks, which allows her to interact with the other main characters from the other fourteen titles (and Y'shtola), as well as have a rap battle with Ultimecia.

Having never played any of the Dissidia games, I have to ask... does TIME KOMPRESSION somehow get worked into the rap battle

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Number one tip I could ever give for someone trying FF11 is to use a controller.

You make it past the hell that is signing up with accounts within accounts, the patcher that takes 12 hours if you don't get the data files off some random website from the early 2000's, you install the mandatory addons to make the game feel less awful to parse, maybe you install a HD texture pack and some non lovely maps hell maybe download a minimap program if you feel saucy, you make a shortcut to at least 2 of the wikis and maybe the AH website as none of them have complete information 20 years later, you make your character which in game does not look like the character you made on the creation screen.

You made it in game! You are gonna kill so many freaking crabs! As soon as you figure out how to move, I think its the mouse. A normal person would give up after the patcher. You aren't normal. You camped frenzied ghoul for 20 hours in Everquest and didn't see a drop, this catgirl game ain't gonna beat you. Matsuip and Yoship are inexplicably laughing and crying in the square break room sharing a bag of Doritos as the last ps2 dev kit bursts into flames under the weight of this newest catgirl who refuses to listen to reason.

Use the controller...

Gotta input numbers? Use the controller.

Gotta chat to someone? Socialization is overrated, use the controller to open the chat command type "." to do your daily unity chat for points and then just unplug your keyboard.

Think this is like any other mmo where you can just click on a character or object to target them? Cycle through the 30 people at the auction house with the controller.

Downloaded a cool addon that lets you cast spells by clicking on a button on screen? Use it for emergency healing and debuff removal, keep your hands on the controller.

But Fat and Useless you gotta use the keyboard to make macros to play the game good! Yes! But you can also edit them outside the game, DO NOT GIVE INTO TEMPATION TO PRESS CTRL+V ONLY ERRORS AND SORROW AWAIT YOU!

But after that the game is pretty good now. The story mostly holds up, some of the later story stuff I dare say is good.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 17, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fat and Useless posted:

Number one tip I could ever give for someone trying FF11 is to use a controller.

You make it past the hell that is signing up with accounts within accounts, the patcher that takes 12 hours if you don't get the data files off some random website from the early 2000's, you install the mandatory addons to make the game feel less awful to parse, maybe you install a HD texture pack and some non lovely maps hell maybe download a minimap program if you feel saucy, you make a shortcut to at least 2 of the wikis and maybe the AH website as none of them have complete information 20 years later, you make your character which in game does not look like the character you made on the creation screen.

You made it in game! You are gonna kill so many freaking crabs! As soon as you figure out how to move, I think its the mouse. A normal person would give up after the patcher. You aren't normal. You camped frenzied ghoul for 20 hours in Everquest and didn't see a drop, this catgirl game ain't gonna beat you. Matsuip and Yoship are inexplicably laughing and crying in the square break room sharing a bag of Doritos as the last ps2 dev kit bursts into flames under the weight of this newest catgirl who refuses to listen to reason.

Use the controller...

Gotta input numbers? Use the controller.

Gotta chat to someone? Socialization is overrated, use the controller to open the chat command type "." to do your daily unity chat for points and then just unplug your keyboard.

Think this is like any other mmo where you can just click on a character or object to target them? Cycle through the 30 people at the auction house with the controller.

Downloaded a cool addon that lets you cast spells by clicking on a button on screen? Use it for emergency healing and debuff removal, keep your hands on the controller.

But Fat and Useless you gotta use the keyboard to make macros to play the game good! Yes! But you can also edit them outside the game, DO NOT GIVE INTO TEMPATION TO PRESS CTRL+V ONLY ERRORS AND SORROW AWAIT YOU!

But after that the game is pretty good now. The story mostly holds up, some of the later story stuff I dare say is good.

Might be easier to peer pressure Sanguinia into doing a LP we an read sometime in 2026.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Having never played any of the Dissidia games, I have to ask... does TIME KOMPRESSION somehow get worked into the rap battle

Well, it's more of them dissing each other, but it sounds like a rap battle because of Shantotto's rhyming. :v:

But no, Time Kompression doesn't come up. Ultimecia also doesn't have that weird verbal tic where she replaces Cs with Ks.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sanguinia posted:

Chapter 9: Off the Edge of the Map

Storm of blood
Born from blood
Of our fallen brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssssssssss

The ShB boss theme is my favorite but the StB one is definitely the most hype.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

that there is a Raubahn in XI who is a bad guy (and also a Blue Mage?)

11's Raubahn is less a bad guy more just an rear end in a top hat. Blue Mages were the Aht Urhgan Empire's elite fighting force know as the Immortals, and Raubahn was their leader and your contact for the BLU job quests. Unlocking the job required you to undergo a mysterious procedure that enabled you to use monster magic.

Aht Urhgan scientist: My "There are absolutely no body-horror level possible side effects from undergoing the procedure to become a blue mage" t-shirt has people asking questions already answered by my t-shirt!

Naturally, you don't find out about this until after you undergo the procedure (because Raubahn is a dick like that). :v:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Melomane Mallet posted:

Re: Iroha - I played FF11 for many, many years; when I did this quest, seeing the images of Prishe, Aphmau, Naja, and Cait Sith... it brought tears to my eyes (like it is literally doing now!). Unlike you, they were friends for me; people I fought alongside, comrades I saved the world with.

...I think back when you did the FF15 event, you expressed a nostalgia for WoW; a desire to go back and see all your old friends and allies there, remember the good times you had with them. That's how I feel about FF11 now: nostalgia, a longing for what I had then and a desire to go "home", in a way, even knowing it will never actually happen. Bittersweet and sad, in a way, but not in a way that leaves me with many regrets.

This is me. Every so often I still get the itch to fire up FFXI again, especially with its Trust system allowing you to get things done without having to LFG for hours on end like the old days, but I just don't have that kind of free time in my life anymore.

For the record, FFXI has a main story across each expansion, but because of the design of MMOs 20 years ago, there aren't any helpful flags or pointers to tell you where you need to go or who to talk to in order to activate them. You just had to wander around and talk to everybody (or look through the BlueGartr wiki), and while the writing might not be as good as FFXIV's MSQ, the story missions are just as epic and world-spanning. Putting down the Shadowlord, battling Promathia, saving the Empire... It's great stuff. And one of the things that I loved the most is that, unlike FFXIV where you're some sort of special Chosen One destined to put right the wrongs of the world, in FFXI you're just some guy (or gal, or Galka) who got wrapped up in events completely beyond your control and somehow you survived them.

that there is a Raubahn in XI who is a bad guy (and also a Blue Mage?)

Gilgamesh also shows up in FFXI, but he's not our favorite world-hopping sword-stealing goofball, he's the leader of the pirate city of Norg.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 17, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've got a FC mate who pays subs for both 11 and 14, leaves his 14 dude dancing 24/7 at the uldah aetheryte, and plays 11 as much as possible. He's basically a server hero for his never ending dancing and I'm very weirded out by the entire situation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Stealer of Pants should be an equippable title.

Very much this.

Roluth posted:

Fun Fact about the Stealer of Pants bit: Hancock brings it up regardless of whether or not you have done HW Hildy.

I hadn't done any of the Hildebrand quests when this came up, so I was very confused about what it meant. I had to Google it to find out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

I've got a FC mate who pays subs for both 11 and 14, leaves his 14 dude dancing 24/7 at the uldah aetheryte, and plays 11 as much as possible. He's basically a server hero for his never ending dancing and I'm very weirded out by the entire situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm7cDZtg0j8

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I hadn't done any of the Hildebrand quests when this came up, so I was very confused about what it meant. I had to Google it to find out.

Same

It did establish for me that, regardless of whether you did the quests or not, Hildebrand was still canon

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

I don't remember being as creeped out by that on release as I am of it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There are a few characters in this game that every time I look at them, I feel like we're suddenly in a Stephen Cannell/Donald Bellisario/Glen Larson TV show and this side character David Hasselhoff/Scott Bakula/whoever is suddenly being introduced to is being played by the pop star of the week. I quickly photoshopped this around the time I came through this part of the MSQ

because just look at the guy, it's him