Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don’t care about the nerd machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

decided to try Yakuza 4 for giggles. I'm 45 minutes in and all I did was talk to some people and punch three guys. Does this get more engaging or

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

was there any reason you chose 4?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

decided to try Yakuza 4 for giggles. I'm 45 minutes in and all I did was talk to some people and punch three guys. Does this get more engaging or

They kinda go in order.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmao at the idea of someone playing Yakuza 4 as their first Yakuza game. Play 0 you freak!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Play 0 you freak!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Fallout 3: boring writing, great environments
Fallout NV: great writing, boring environments

Still pretty crazy to me that F3 came out only 2.5 years after Oblivion and then Skyrim was 3 years after F3 and now Bethesda Game Studios is taking over 7 years between mainline releases

(hopefully those short timelines weren’t entirely due to crunch)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Space Racist posted:

Fallout 3: boring writing, great environments
Fallout NV: great writing, boring environments

Still pretty crazy to me that F3 came out only 2.5 years after Oblivion and then Skyrim was 3 years after F3 and now Bethesda Game Studios is taking over 7 years between mainline releases

In Oblivion they had one guy design all the dungeons so I assume he's in an insane asylum now.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

4 is probably the worst game in the series, play 0.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Space Racist posted:

Big studio releases are just kinda like that now - Rockstar put out all five 3D GTA games within 12 years (2001-13), and at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with a 12 year gap between GTA 5 and 6

Admittedly there’s different reasons in play, like their Scrooge McDuck money bin powered by Online, but it’s still a bit hard to fathom.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

was there any reason you chose 4?

I recall someone saying that's when they started to get good and the first 3 kind of didn't measure up so it was the one I picked. No particular reason outside of that.

welcome posted:

4 is probably the worst game in the series, play 0.

I'll give it a crack

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I recall someone saying that's when they started to get good and the first 3 kind of didn't measure up so it was the one I picked. No particular reason outside of that.

I'll give it a crack

4 is the worst in the series, 0, k1, and k2 are all great. 3 is weird but has charm. Basically definitely start with 0, 4 is the worst by far.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That someone is likely the stupidest person on the planet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah lol you literally started with the worst one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I started with 0 but was just not feelin it and the karaoke minigame just was not my jam.

Definitely an “it’s not you, it’s me” thing, lately I need some pretty immediate thrills in my games or I get bored.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Might I suggest Fall Guys OP?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yak0 is goated

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I read up on the debate on whether to start with 0 or 1 before I started playing Yakuza and I'm very happy I started with 0. I don't think I would have enjoyed the story as much if I had played 1 first.

And yeah I suck at the karaoke type games badly but you don't have to play them much and I think you can fail all of them without any big problems.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

there is no debate. 0 comes before 1. Simple maths

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there is no debate. 0 comes before 1. Simple maths

0 before 1, simple as

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Play Yakuza (0), got it, if only because you guys recommend it a lot and I keep picturing Sleeping Dogs but I know that's not right.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Thunder Bear posted:

Play Yakuza (0), got it, if only because you guys recommend it a lot and I keep picturing Sleeping Dogs but I know that's not right.

There's some limited environment KOs like sleeping dogs and the plot is a convoluted crime story (and good).

But your main character has a little more charisma, even if all he does with it is make an angry frowny face and best people totally not to death with bicycles in the street.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Eh just play sleeping dogs

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Yakuza 0 has the benefit of the many years experience for the team. By that point they'd made 1-5 so they figured out what kind of game they're (actually) making, streamlining a lot of the systems, like stories with multiple playable characters, and enough response from fans to know who the crowd favorites would be. Add the goofy over the top 80s bubble era setting and it's no surprise why it revitalized interest in the series in the West.

If you only play one game 0 is it, with highs at 2, 6, 7. I like the series like many people but most of the games are a tough sell without being invested in the characters, except 7 (like a dragon) which is a new cast.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Nah... I played it for the first time a couple years back. It doesn't hold up. It's boring GTA driving and shooting gameplay with a mish-mash Asian setting and a lot of increasingly stupid scenarios with more yelling and hysterics. The first few hours are great but once it settles in it gets tedious.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they call it sleeping dogs cos it sent this bitch to snoozy town

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Sleeping dogs and Yakuza are both good what is wrong with you people

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Seltzer posted:

Sleeping dogs and Yakuza are both good what is wrong with you people

nah you need to only pick one this is the internet

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

There's some limited environment KOs like sleeping dogs and the plot is a convoluted crime story (and good).

But your main character has a little more charisma, even if all he does with it is make an angry frowny face and best people totally not to death with bicycles in the street.

Every Yakuza game is a convoluted crime story that sometimes wanders off for a while before reappearing and making you wonder who these people are because you'll never remember them all. It owns.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Every Yakuza game is a convoluted crime story that sometimes wanders off for a while before reappearing and making you wonder who these people are because you'll never remember them all. It owns.

The dossiers on all the character is invaluable, especially in the beginning when I was figuring out the heirchery of the yakuza.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

nah you need to only pick one this is the internet

You don’t pick anything this is the Xbox thread

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Do you people even like games..

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Tetris is good, yes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Yes..

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

Aren't you the dipshit that loves Bethesda games. Lol. Hey you should try out Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms. It seems like it has everything you want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Aren't you the dipshit that loves Bethesda games.

that’s me idiot!!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snyderman posted:

Yakuza 0 has the benefit of the many years experience for the team. By that point they'd made 1-5 so they figured out what kind of game they're (actually) making, streamlining a lot of the systems, like stories with multiple playable characters, and enough response from fans to know who the crowd favorites would be. Add the goofy over the top 80s bubble era setting and it's no surprise why it revitalized interest in the series in the West.

If you only play one game 0 is it, with highs at 2, 6, 7. I like the series like many people but most of the games are a tough sell without being invested in the characters, except 7 (like a dragon) which is a new cast.

Yeah I have personally played 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 7, and while I loved Kiwami 2 nothing really lived up to 0 until I got to 7

Nuts and Gum posted:

Sleeping dogs was fun enough combat with fun enough open world and driving and an ooookkkkk story that inexplicably has Emma stone for like 10 lines of dialog and put together it was pretty cool but surprise, 10 year old open world games have not aged that well

Yakuza 0 has a much, much better main story that is like, good gang movie levels of quality, very funny sidequests and likable characters. The actual open world isn't a massive draw, it's more just the setting for all this stuff to happen in

and to be honest the Yakuza open world isn't huge, it's a very dense couple of city blocks that works a lot better for the game than being able to drive around

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My problem is I play this kind of game for the combat and on that basis there just isn't much of a reason to look at those games twice when Arkham Knight and Shadow of War exist. If you want a fun action combat game, it's Shadow of War. If you like the Predator sections and Riddler puzzles then play Batman.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to be honest that's one of the most cursed gaming opinions I've ever heard. You were a CD-i kid, weren't you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm going to be honest that's one of the most cursed gaming opinions I've ever heard. You were a CD-i kid, weren't you.

I think such an insult should earn you a probation, because that is really harsh.