Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Frankly I’ve never seen anyone use AAD auth with app services so I’m entirely unsure what the mechanisms are there.

it turns on a middleware that sits in front of the app service and manages auth flow, then injects a couple headers so that you can get info about the authenticated user in your application

it supports google twitter and facebook as well and is super handy to just add a login screen to simple apps without having to modify the application

i'm doing a poc to automate setting this up so we can have internal apps with authentication by default

quote:

Sounds annoying

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
So like b2c except only for app services and not a massive piece of poo poo presumably. I’m intrigued

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the feature docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-authentication-authorization

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

You're probably not insured to meet employees at random places either, which might be the quickest way to get out of this BS. What happens if you go to do work at this random offsite location and pick up an injury? You were working, your employer is liable.

They didn’t care btw so I’m screwed doing it. Thankfully I have an exit from this particular MSP mine if I want it. I just don’t want to become a job hopper.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ASAPRockySituation posted:

They didn’t care btw so I’m screwed doing it. Thankfully I have an exit from this particular MSP mine if I want it. I just don’t want to become a job hopper.

This is literally the best way to get massive raises, and to get paid anywhere near the value you provide a business.

There are good reasons to stay at a particular job (you like the company itself, or you want to work with a particular person/team), but "avoiding a reputation for moving up in compensation and responsibility" is not one of them.

Get the money, gently caress the haters.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

ask me about explaining why you can't join a Windows 7 home PC you bought at Walmart to our domain.

Some years ago had a large US school district working on a project to give all their pupils a laptop to take home. They settled on HP Streams, and sent me one for testing our solution would work fine (it did)
At this point I asked how they were going to be managing them and they said "AD, of course" and couldn't understand why that made me laugh (and cry a bit when thinking about how much more than me the genius who came up with the plan was being paid)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This is literally the best way to get massive raises, and to get paid anywhere near the value you provide a business.

There are good reasons to stay at a particular job (you like the company itself, or you want to work with a particular person/team), but "avoiding a reputation for moving up in compensation and responsibility" is not one of them.

Get the money, gently caress the haters.

This is why it feels so bizarre to me that I've gotten in total 19k worth of raise from a job I started at less than 1 year ago, and am on deck for another 6-16k raise in 2 months.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was working for the government, and there is a true culture of laziness in ours. So I was working alongside a couple of doofuses and doing all their work, plus my own while making a laughable salary. Doubly frustrating when there had been some union fuckery go on years prior, so one of the doofuses was red circled, making about 10k more than me for the same role/title, while being totally useless. Like a complete Homer Simpson. All the older guys as well as literally everyone in every other department were in the union but the new guys in IT weren't.

Then there was the other guy, at least he was making the same money as me. But he would spend all day with his feet up on his desk, listening in on conversations so he could interject with "actually...". He was something like a lesser elon musk. In his mind, he was brilliant. Would stretch out tickets and inflate time spent as much as possible, while I burned through them like a scalper. Claimed he could get a job at a hot local startup, but basically enjoyed being able to be lazy where we were.

I didn't have to think about it too long when I was offered a job back home where I wanted to be, at a ~$12k raise, with another 10 or so since. No longer are 50% of my requests "my computer is slow, make it faster" and then having my hands tied because we "couldn't afford" a $40 SSD to make those piece of poo poo old elitebooks bearable until we could buy new machines sometime after 2038. I have decision making control and purchasing power now, its great. Living the fuckin dream, unironically

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

This is why it feels so bizarre to me that I've gotten in total 19k worth of raise from a job I started at less than 1 year ago, and am on deck for another 6-16k raise in 2 months.

A very few companies understand that you have to pay a person what they are worth, and if they find you are better than they expected when hiring you they need to bump your wages to KEEP you. But most upper management hates this idea because that means rising expenses when employees gain new skills - they want to hire someone cheap, train them up and not have to change the wages. Because that's how poo poo worked Back In The Day when you joined a company for life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

A very few companies understand that you have to pay a person what they are worth, and if they find you are better than they expected when hiring you they need to bump your wages to KEEP you. But most upper management hates this idea because that means rising expenses when employees gain new skills - they want to hire someone cheap, train them up and not have to change the wages. Because that's how poo poo worked back in the day you joined a company for life.

No, it wasn't, lmao. Back in the day, they did pay you more, and you received regular raises and promotions throughout your career with a pension. Then, in the late '70s, the pension was replaced with the 401k, raises were replaced with pizza parties, and promotions were replaced with "you are too valuable to leave this position."

It doesn't matter how many times a company goes through the following cycle, management never seems to learn:
- Hire a new person.
- The new person gains institutional knowledge and skills, becomes more efficient, and gets great reviews.
- Management gives them a 2% - 5% raise.
- New person finds out the next new person is making 20% more than them, or they get a job offer for 20% more, and they confront management.
- Management tells them to get bent.
- The efficient person with institutional knowledge and skills leaves the job.
- Management stands around with their thumbs up their rear end asking why this person left????

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I was going to say. Loads of companies complain about not being able to find skilled staff, but none of them seem desperate enough to take on bright people and then just train them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I was going to say. Loads of companies complain about not being able to find skilled staff, but none of them seem desperate enough to take on bright people and then just train them.

We launched an internal boot camp where we hire fresh college grads and run them through a bunch of training over the course of 6 months.

We're in our 2nd cycle of this now, and have something like 150 participants and as far as I know management is considering it a resounding success.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's be clear though that most of the time we're talking about upper management, VP or C level stuff.

Team managers are often powerless to do anything at all about this cycle and are just as frustrated by it. It's one of the reasons why I left management.

"Your whole division has a 3% nominal pay increase. If you want to give someone more than 3%, you have to give someone on your team less than 3%."

"You have to label your direct reports "Needs Improvement" "On Target" or "High Performer". If they are just "On Target" they can't get more than the nominal increase."

So, if I want to reward someone on my team more than baseline, I have to weaken the increase to everyone else. The only exception to that is if someone is getting a promotion, then more funds are allocated to do that. In order to get a promotion, you have to be High Performer for a few quarters with the right story behind it to justify it. Even then though, many positions don't have promotion paths beyond a certain point without going to either manager or architect (the non-management path and we only maintain like one per business line). So, once someone becomes a senior engineer, that's about it and there's virtually no way to give someone more than the nominal increase unless HR decides to re-evaluate market rates and a mass adjustment is approved.

Me: "This guy is really good and we'll be in a bad place if we lose him."
HR: "Well, he's already senior staff engineer and our data shows he's making a market rate."
Me: "He was clutch in getting these projects done this year that we really needed to do and everything went problem free, we need to keep him happy."
HR: "So he met expectations and did his job, our data shows he's making market rate so if you want to reward him more, allocate the funds for your direct reports so you can give him more.

Sigh, so I do what I can do and submit 4% for him and my other two people 2.5% (they've been there less than 6 months anyways.)

I get the report back after it goes through the CEO approvals and I see that my other two guys actually only got 2% and my high performer got 3%.

All of that on top of only being able to have a few high performers in a divisioin (shouldn't you want your whole team to be high performers?)

The stock market is a huge part of this. Number must go up this quarter, no matter what, especially if we promised it will go up to a specific level. The upper levels misjudged and can't hit the number while investing what they should in the workforce, well then it must come out of the workforce of course.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not that it'd make much difference but here:

bull3964 posted:

Me: "This guy is really good and we'll be in a bad place if we lose him."
HR: "Well, he's already senior staff engineer and our data shows he's making a market rate."
You: "your data is wrong because <reasons>".

At least it'd get you an entertaining response.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All of that is probably even frustrating because the new hires make 20% more than the "guy that is really good and you'll be in a bad place if you lose him."

Especially when he finds out the new guy is making 20% more than him.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Arquinsiel posted:

Not that it'd make much difference but here:

You: "your data is wrong because <reasons>".

At least it'd get you an entertaining response.

it doesn't, I had a long running feud with a recruiting director about this kind of poo poo (refused to show us the "data") and the assholes who insert themselves into this stuff rather than letting ops people worry about it and their own budgets are the kind of bureaucrats who get off on holding some small power for themselves

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

That is bizarre, or at least uncommon enough to be worth noting.

Last month I was told that despite the fact that I've knocked a couple huge projects out of the park, completely reversed two years of negative emotion around my team, and taken on significant leadership/mentoring responsibilities, it's at least a year before I can be considered for a deserved promotion and a raise that isn't an insulting fraction of cost-of-living increases. It's almost exactly the situation bull3964 described, but I'm the senior engineer in this play.

Will I stick around for that year? :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last month I was told that despite the fact that I've knocked a couple huge projects out of the park, completely reversed two years of negative emotion around my team, and taken on significant leadership/mentoring responsibilities, it's at least a year before I can be considered for a deserved promotion and a raise that isn't an insulting fraction of cost-of-living increases. It's almost exactly the situation bull3964 described, but I'm the senior engineer in this play.

Don't stick around. That company is danging a carrot on a stick and you are the horse.

Edit:
If you got a new job offer and let them counter-offer for fun (never take a counter offer) I bet you they would suddenly find the money to offer a promotion/raise right away! WOW, GEE LOOK AT THAT! AMAZING!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This talk of "market rate" is even more funny when you put it alongside the company mission statement and the noises coming out the C-suite, which is that the company should be performing above-average and producing exceptionally high quality work.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

To be fair it’s from a Level N contributor to Level N+1, but still

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don't stick around. That company is danging a carrot on a stick and you are the horse.

Edit:
If you got a new job offer and let them counter-offer for fun (never take a counter offer) I bet you they would suddenly find the money to offer a promotion/raise right away! WOW, GEE LOOK AT THAT! AMAZING!

Don't worry, I know what's going on. This isn't my first time playing the game. I like my team and the work itself is good and interesting, but a substandard compensation increase (and that alone) has me thinking about what I want from my next opportunity.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss confirmed with me that I don't have any college. I think they are writing up a permanent position for my contract role but I can't get hired in because I don't have a bachelors (should have years ago but whatever).

So we get to have that "well the thing is the company doesn't hire people without a BS so...", which I'm fully aware of from before I even applied, and am just fine being contracted long-term.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Boss confirmed with me that I don't have any college. I think they are writing up a permanent position for my contract role but I can't get hired in because I don't have a bachelors (should have years ago but whatever).

So we get to have that "well the thing is the company doesn't hire people without a BS so...", which I'm fully aware of from before I even applied, and am just fine being contracted long-term.

Someone who thinks you couldn't possibly be qualified to do the job you are literally already successfully doing for them because you don't have a piece of paper from someone else saying so must be too stupid to remember to breathe. It's the absolute definition of "we do not understand why our own policies exist but we will enforce them regardless."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not empty quoting the above

It makes very little business sense to enforce a strict "nobody without a degree" policy given what tuition costs now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Not empty quoting the above

It makes very little business sense to enforce a strict "nobody without a degree" policy given what tuition costs now.

Welcome to European public sector where anything but computer janitoring requires a degree.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

Welcome to European public sector where anything but computer janitoring requires a degree.
The Irish public sector is common entry via multiple choice exam, prioritising speed over anything else. Once you get in you do your time on the phones until you've built up enough connections to win the promotion competition, and you might eventually end up working somewhere tangentially related to whatever degree you had when you went in. It explains a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KillHour posted:

Someone who thinks you couldn't possibly be qualified to do the job you are literally already successfully doing for them because you don't have a piece of paper from someone else saying so must be too stupid to remember to breathe. It's the absolute definition of "we do not understand why our own policies exist but we will enforce them regardless."

Especially ironic with the constant diversity and inclusion babbling

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Especially ironic with the constant diversity and inclusion babbling

"You're defacto excluding 80% of the black population, 85% of the latinx population, and 70% of all adults from working here, and you wonder why you can't loving fill roles and your diversity is garbage?"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that pisses me off, my wife is doing training to do phone banking for planned parenthood.

Their first suggestion is to just use your own drat cell phone. Oh hellll no, she’s getting a SIP DID from an area code on the opposite side of the state.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that poo poo is endemic in organizing spaces. At least some of them will walk you through trying to create a Google Voice number, but even then they don't tell you that it's linked to your Google account and you'll want to release it when you're done. There's really no excuse, so many better ways to do that. Even Spoke would be an improvement. Planned Parenthood's gets $1.3 billion dollars a year. You'd think they'd have this sorted.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

even local political campaigns have a phone system that you dial in to that manages all of the outgoing calls

blows my mind that planned parenthood wouldn't have something like that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The other thing is that you really want people who access these services to bounce through something that strips the caller ID out or at least replaces it so neither side starts off knowing anything about each other

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Yeah I'm genuinely surprised they don't have 3CX or Ring central or something like that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just want every single program or website that doesn't have the cursor automatically in the text box when you open it to go straight to hell and burn for all eternity

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also loving up the tab order of text fields. Just test your stuff!

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
Today I learned of a Super Critical App. This app not working will possibly grind the operations of a national government entity to a halt.

It's a god forsaken Shared Single File MS Access database. The only positive about this is that it's not Excel I guess, but the despair is real.

e; Heh, I kicked it to the Application Admins. A Pair of Greybeards got back to me, asking why on earth I was calling for support on a UAT version from 13 years ago.

Arkanterian fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 19, 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Whoever decided that every single windows application will respond to the scroll wheel when the mouse pointer is over it except for Microsoft excel which will only respond when the app is in focus and which will then respond regardless of where on screen the mouse cursor is can suck the farts out of my arsehole.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Windows not having a setting for apps to not process clicks on background windows has infuriated me forever. It wastes a lot of time forcing me to find the pixels on a visible part of a window that won't perform an action so I can bring it to the top of the stack.

Especially considering how densely modern apps pack buttons along the edges.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Breetai posted:

Whoever decided that every single windows application will respond to the scroll wheel when the mouse pointer is over it except for Microsoft excel which will only respond when the app is in focus and which will then respond regardless of where on screen the mouse cursor is can suck the farts out of my arsehole.

Excel has to be different because the scroll wheel was literally invented for use in Excel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Windows not having a setting for apps to not process clicks on background windows has infuriated me forever. It wastes a lot of time forcing me to find the pixels on a visible part of a window that won't perform an action so I can bring it to the top of the stack.

There was a PowerToy called Xmouse a million years ago

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/74