Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Random Stranger posted:

No, not even remotely. There's tens of thousands of copies out there. If you want to read it, you can buy the original issues and it's just a matter of having the cash. Or there's probably some :pirate: options.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at how some people in the past year or so have decided "lost media" just means "something I can't easily find".

You're double right, it's really more "Dead media" as opposed to lost, we know where to find the corpse but we can't be arsed, and yep, pretty sure someone could put a full Ultraverse run together on eBay, I just checked and was almost tempted to give it a shot!

That title is hilarious, Misfits Of Science was '85-'86 so '93 was the time to rip it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BooDooBoo posted:

You're double right, it's really more "Dead media" as opposed to lost, we know where to find the corpse but we can't be arsed, and yep, pretty sure someone could put a full Ultraverse run together on eBay, I just checked and was almost tempted to give it a shot!

Do it, then watch Nightman and it's backdoor pilot for a Manimal revival.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

A shame there was never an article on his breakdown over being taken off Catwoman.
I’d like to hear more about this, if possible.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

BooDooBoo posted:

That title is hilarious, Misfits Of Science was '85-'86 so '93 was the time to rip it off!

They also featured a ripoff of Captain Planet:

THE CREATORS posted:

The Misfits of Society showcases the misadventures of a superhero team that does more harm than good. And the Planet Patrol, a group of youths who receive superpowers to protect the planet, is written for a younger audience. Since its release, ARComics Premiere has sold more than 70,000 copies around the world.

They sold more than 70,000 copies. The '90s were absolutely buckwild.

[edit] BEHOLD the stunning lenticular cover.

funtax fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 8, 2022

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do it, then watch Nightman and it's backdoor pilot for a Manimal revival.

I *adore* Nightman, it's the best 90's trash show. I didn't see Manimal until years later but that is also terrible fun.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a big one. One of the physically biggest issues of the run. So strap in for a lot of year end articles.

Wizard Magazine Issue #29 January 1994

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Speak Up: Year of Growth

Looking Ahead

Looking Back

Movers & Shakers

Industry Roundtable

Ongoing Trends

Lament For The Lost

Hardly Recognizable

Necrology

A Cosmic Odyssey

Brutes and Babes

Pro Art! This month is unused Wizard Covers!

Hunk & Babe

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O.

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some interesting bits in there, like talking about the first cancellations from Image Comics and a sign it wasn't just a money-making juggernaut where every series was a surefire hit. (Shadowhawk sort of proved that initially, but it kept going.)

I think people being very excited for Peter David is charming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #30 February 1994

Cover

Contents

Magic Words! This month's edition actually starts a couple of storylines that reach through several issues of back and forth from some pros that have beef! Stay tuned for more! One continues later in this very post!

Wizard Apologizes! Probably could've used a few more of these over the years.

Wizard News

Speak Up: The Total Package

This Sucks!

Paying Homage

Men of Iron

Backstage at the Mystery Theater

Fan Art!

Hunk & Babe

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O. Oh boy.

Wizard Profile

The '90s This is even kinda insane for the '90s. And it's so convoluted that I actually don't think I quite even understand it.

Random Ads

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 11, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The 1993 December issue showed that the cracks were appearing. I got a good giggle of the state of comics in the year 2003 though. If only they knew.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The nostalgic days when Stephen Platt was a thing because he 'kind of drew like McFarlane.' Good times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's time for the next installment of

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

Issue 28, December 1993

#1 Green Lantern #46 (Low print run of a Reign of the Supermen part): Surprisingly, this one is selling for $35+! Wait, no, that's the Looney Toons variant cover of the last volume. This issue doesn't sell at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#2 Moon Knight #55 (Art by Stephen Platt - he's kind of like McFarlane!): Prices are all over the place on this, but entry for unslabbed is running $45, while slabbed is about double that. A surprising good pick by Wizard!
#10 Batman #500 (First appearance of AzBats costume!): Copies are selling $3-4. One person shot their shot and had a starting price of $185. You can imagine where that went. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 29, January 1994

#6 Fantastic Four #381 (The death of Reed): Another $3-4 book. You'll be shocked to learn that Reed came back. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#7 Wolverine #75 (Wolverine's adamantium gets ripped out AND a cool hologram on the cover!): $5-10 unslabbed, $120 for a slabbed 9.8. Bad buy, but not quite quarter bin.
#8 Moon Knight #56 (Stephen Platt - he's still kind of like McFarlane): This one has prices all over the place from not selling for $30 to selling for $65 unslabbed. Slabbed are going $50-100 or so. This is a good pick, but not as good as the previous issue.
#9 Daredevil: Man Without Fear #1 (Frank Miller is back on Daredevil): As someone with a copy of this in a box somewhere, I was hoping this would be a sleeper hit, but unfortunately not. Unslabbed copies run $5-10. Bad buy, but not QBF.
#10 Catwoman #1 (Boobsock art by Jim Balent): The only sale I can find is a copy signed by Balent for $21.50. Everything else gets no bids. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Two issues without a single Valiant book kinda tells you where that company went.

Issue 30, February 1994

#7 Ninjak #1 (New series, Joe Quesada, "low" print run): No sales at all. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9 Avengers West Coast #102 (Avengers West Coast disbanded to become FORCE WORKS): One copy sold for $7. QUARTER BIN FODDER

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Looking at it all at once rather than month by month, it's really amazing how quickly valiant went from "you need to buy every book from this publisher!!!" to "who?"

I understand that's also the era but jeez, wild how much they dominated the top 10 for like a whole year. Definitely not other problems worth looking into there, no siree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I wonder if everyone in Wizard were able to get their money out of Valiant and pivot or dealers just kept saying "lol, no" and Wizard decided to stop pushing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh they are still pushing it. As of the issue posted there’s still 3-5 ads for Valiant per issue. But Image is clearly the golden child now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Although it's a newspaper comic and not a comic book, Spider-Man did actually try out for football.

Unfortunately, since Newspaper Spider-Man has the IQ of a sack of hammers, he failed to realize that people do not generally go "This guy is really good at sports...he must secretly be Spider-Man!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #30 February 1994
Contents

Would you mind scanning the P. Bagge write-up on page 90? Curious to see what they had to say about it in '94.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Would you mind scanning the P. Bagge write-up on page 90? Curious to see what they had to say about it in '94.

Could you also scan the ashcan article if you don’t mind? Always wondered what the difference between those and fanzines were. Always thought ashcans were just small b&w previews of regular comics but this doesn’t seem quite right.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Ashcans have two meanings. Either it can be a small comic to establish trademarks (like you have an idea for a name but not much more so you come up with a crappy quickbook so no one else can use the title "Exciting Stories" starring "Original Character DO NOT STEAL"). This was more common in like the 1930s when there was basically an comic explosion and everyone was trying to make a book.

The other usage of the term started in the 90s and is used to denote basically a prototype book that's done in a low print run. The quality of it can vary based on the publisher but they were used a lot to send to retailers as a preview book to generate interest.

I'd be interested in the article too but that's my understand of what an ashcan is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darthemed posted:

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Could you also scan the ashcan article if you don’t mind? Always wondered what the difference between those and fanzines were. Always thought ashcans were just small b&w previews of regular comics but this doesn’t seem quite right.

Already had them scanned, just had to upload them. I scan everything but the price guide so anyone ever wants anything I don't post, any article or feature, just let me know.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Oh wow, the ashcan fad was another thing that felt like it was driven entirely by Wizard. I remember Marvel got in on it but I don’t think DC ever did. What a strange time.

Edit: VVV You’re right, I conflated the two in my head.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 12, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hero Illustrated really made the big push with ashcans, I remember that magazine came with a free one as opposed to the free trading card that would come with the early Wizard mags.

Wizard got into the ashcan game later, along with the mail away 1/2 issue comics.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the ashcan info and article y’all! Does anyone know if the Peter Bagge Liquid TV shorts ever got made? I used to watch that religiously but don’t remember anything like his style being shown. That article made me nostalgic as gently caress, I bought an issue of Hate (#12, I think) and an issue of Milk and Cheese and some other indie thing in rural Arkansas of all places on my way to my great grandmother’s funeral back in the day and stuff like that is why I didn’t give up on comics as a whole cause around then, as y’all are well aware of, most everything mainstream seemed to be turning to poo poo simultaneously.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #31 March 1994

Cover

Contents

Magic Words! Peter David comin' in hot.

Wizard News I do not believe that ARComics is actually going to publish those books.

The Magnificent Seven

Dragonsayer

Taking Care of Bizness

Just Add Water

Drawing Board

Hunk & Babe

Top 10 Heroes and Villains Yes! We're back!

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O.

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, wow, are we into the era of 'Peter David gets into slap fights with Image creators?' Good times. Good times. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If BWS had taken that deal for 4% of the company, he would have made $2.6mm in cash and stock when they sold to Acclaim. The stock would end up worthless, but the cash would be good as...cash.

This is the second month with sexy fan art of Crystal. Is this an inside joke I missed?

It sucks for whoever drew the runner-up art that they didn't bother to include their name.

We NEED MORT-o-METER gang tags!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Peter David dunking on McFarlane for having the word “ca-ca” show up in Spawn even tho Alan Moore was the one who wrote that issue will never not be funny to me.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Just Add Water article is genuinely kinda amusing. Mostly because I like the idea of naming a character "Bloodblood."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's kind of amazing that Wizard at this point has turned into a place for comic industry folks to take petty snipes at each other like Peter David and the Barry Windsor-Smith stuff.

And yeah the Just Add Water column was pretty funny, it's nice to know that even though he was hot at the time and Wizard had praised his art, they were definitely poking fun at Liefeld a bit with the pouch belts.

A lot of the stuff in the news section was pretty interesting, like seeing the statement that Batman TAS would end after the second season. Which I guess is technically true even if The New Adventures of Batman and Robin was more or less the third season of TAS. Also the hopes that The Mask would turn into a series of films. Well, I guess they did get Son of the Mask but...yeah.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

This aged badly under a year

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Twelve by Pies posted:

And yeah the Just Add Water column was pretty funny, it's nice to know that even though he was hot at the time and Wizard had praised his art, they were definitely poking fun at Liefeld a bit with the pouch belts.
Hey now all three of those body types have feet

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #32 April 1994

Cover

Contents

Magic Words! Oh ok, we're still doing this I guess.

Wizard News

The Dark Knights

Out Of The Shadows

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Marvel Man

Big Babies I'm sure this will be a super popular and long running feature.

Drawing Board

Hunk & Babe

Top 10 Heroes and Villains

Comic Watch I'm sure Agent Three Zero is a hell of a pick.

The Top 10

Todd McFarlane's E.G.O.

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wake up and smell the 90s indeed. I actually have both copies of Spawn/Batman Batman/Spawn. The DC one was just a reworking of Gothic by Morrison with the numbers filed off (seriously the plot is almost exactly the same), and the Image one, while having better art, was just Miller practicing for All Star Batman with Batman being a dour near homicidal maniac. I think I have reread the DC one the most just because it is a simple storyline that is a pale imitation of Gothic.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The infamous “two moon” cover lol. In an issue or so you’ll get letters pointing it out and Wizard apologizing for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Why did they think the right approach to The Ray was to make it look like an ad for The Gap?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if Todd still calls Rob when he's bored because he knows he'll be laughing hysterically in no time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know what's cool? How Mike Allred's art has been fantastic basically his entire career and fits in pretty much every era he's worked in.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
I lived through this time in my late high school/early college years. I bought every issue of Wizard starting with #10. I hit the comic shop every single week and went to shows whenever they were nearby. I still REFUSE to believe that people were going that apeshit over Stephen Platt’s Moon Knight run. I refuse to believe 3 of the 10 hottest books on the market were back issues of Moon Night Volume 3 with art by the guy who kinda drew Prophet for a few issues.

I refuse.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I won a contest in Wizard once. I don't recall what the actual contest was for, but I won a ceramic mold that was used to create a Mickey Mantle baseball card. I ended up selling it on ebay for over $300.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I credit Wizard with my interest in Vertigo as an imprint, as well as independent comics in general. It's also how I found out that Rob Liefeld is a weirdo. I got an issue where he openly talked in a feature story about having a fistfight with Myrat Michaels, but that he regarded him as a close friend.

He also goes to Taco Bell every day for lunch (or did, anyway).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Endless Mike posted:

You know what's cool? How Mike Allred's art has been fantastic basically his entire career and fits in pretty much every era he's worked in.

I wish I could remember where I read it years ago, but in an interview someone basically mentioned to Allred that his style was so clean and consistent and how impressive that always looks. Allred responded by citing a "bad" drawing from early in his career that clearly still bugged him years later. The drawing in question was the cover for "Dead Air". Specifically the one badly-drawn HAND on that cover. Dude clearly has INCREDIBLY high standards for himself.