Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Gonz posted:

Just finished this on Netflix. Easy one of the most thorough D.B. Cooper documentaries i’ve seen in ages. Only four episodes, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i4ZpCxeJA

pfft. everyone knows he was in Fox River prison with T-Bag and Michael Scofield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought he got abducted by aliens in Fire In The Sky

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
gently caress, man, Close Enough just got cancelled by HBO. Was I the only one watching and enjoying it??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
started s3 of Barry and, gently caress. it shouldn't be possible for this show to hit perfectly on so many different fuckin tones all at once. god drat

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

gently caress, man, Close Enough just got cancelled by HBO. Was I the only one watching and enjoying it??

I liked it, I don't know if it was as good as Regular Show, but it was a lot of fun. I'm pretty bummed this and Joe Pera's show was cancelled at around the same time.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yea and guess what the canceled dark matter right before they were going to time travel through a black hole or have some kind of temporal cold war or something. life isnt fair. cry more little baby

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

started s3 of Barry and, gently caress. it shouldn't be possible for this show to hit perfectly on so many different fuckin tones all at once. god drat

It's the best show of the decade, so far. I think it will be in strong contention when that one goon does their "best of the decade" poll for the 2020s

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I only heard about it for the first time today when I saw that it was canceled.

I just watched Night Sky on Amazon starring JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek about a couple who discover a device in their backyard that transports you across the galaxy. It was just canceled after 1 season, and I'm honestly okay with it.

Honestly, had they cut the scifi stuff and just focused on the interpersonal relationship between this aging married couple, the show would have been a ton better. But they just didn't do enough with the rest of the show. It's another mystery box show where did nothing to advance the mystery until the final few moments of the season, apparently hoping to delve more into it in season 2.

The show also features Sonya Walger (Lost, For All Mankind) in a mysterious role playing a character about 20 years older than the actress actually is. It was strange.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This is old news to anyone who would care but I started watching Castlevania on Netflix because I've been burning through the games on PS5 and...its surprisingly good? Like, it's pretty funny and well animated and well paced (so far, I've only seen three episodes) and has the correct amount of animosity for the Catholic Church.

Also I saw the first episode of The Rehearsal and I liked it a lot but I'm dying to know how he successfully pitched it in the first place.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Castlevania somehow ended up being one of the best things Netflix has come out with in awhile. It's not perfect but the show as a whole has a really solid arc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Wolfsheim posted:

Also I saw the first episode of The Rehearsal and I liked it a lot but I'm dying to know how he successfully pitched it in the first place.

I think the answer is pretty self evident.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Castlevania really turned out surprisingly good, both in terms of writing as well as the quality in animation. Personally I'd say it peaks in season 2, but all four seasons are worth watching even if the third drags a bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

This is old news to anyone who would care but I started watching Castlevania on Netflix because I've been burning through the games on PS5 and...its surprisingly good? Like, it's pretty funny and well animated and well paced (so far, I've only seen three episodes) and has the correct amount of animosity for the Catholic Church.

If you haven't tried it, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the spiritual successor to Castlevania SOTN, made by the original creator

quote:

Have you seen Nathan For You? I suspect he pitched to someone familiar with that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I loved it but thought the last season was the worst of the show (still a pretty good season, for the record)

Glad JG got a few years with less restrictions than he had for Regular Show. After how much I've liked both shows, I'm in for whatever he's able to do next

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah actually I'm pretty surprised Close Enough got three seasons as it was, even though it was beloved by critics and audiences alike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

first ive even heard of Close Enough and I'm specifically the target audience for this poo poo. at least I have something to watch today

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Wolfsheim posted:

Probably rehearsed every possible scenario, went in and pitched it, and then revealed it as he did to this first guy. Blew their minds.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nathan For You is so fun and creative it almost ruins it for me cuz i was just thinking like "this Rehearsal premise would just be like, a one off thing on that show" but that was a great first episode and im looking forward to more willy wonka sociopathy

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yeah actually I'm pretty surprised Close Enough got three seasons as it was, even though it was beloved by critics and audiences alike.

Yeah I couldn’t believe it made it past one season with how little HBO ever advertised it. It’s a really great show and I’m sad to see it end, but excited for what he does next.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I couldn’t believe it made it past one season with how little HBO ever advertised it. It’s a really great show and I’m sad to see it end, but excited for what he does next.

Same could be said about life and times of Tim.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It sounds like Close Enough was really poorly marketed

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

I only heard about it for the first time today when I saw that it was canceled.

I just watched Night Sky on Amazon starring JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek about a couple who discover a device in their backyard that transports you across the galaxy. It was just canceled after 1 season, and I'm honestly okay with it.

That's a relief. I watched the first two episodes a while back and wasn't sure whether to continue with it. They're both great actors and I enjoyed their interactions but the actual mystery wasn't enough to hook me.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I liked it, I don't know if it was as good as Regular Show, but it was a lot of fun. I'm pretty bummed this and Joe Pera's show was cancelled at around the same time.

Fuuuucccccck, I didn't know "Joe Pera Talks with You" was cancelled until just now. I loved the genuine sincerity and slow pacing of that show. It was honestly some of the most relaxing TV for me of the past few years.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I rented Beetlejuice on Prime for 48 hours and then I fell asleep in the first 30 minutes and then my internet went out the entire next day. 10/10, incredible film, better every time I watch it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

I rented Beetlejuice on Prime for 48 hours and then I fell asleep in the first 30 minutes and then my internet went out the entire next day. 10/10, incredible film, better every time I watch it

You are obviously stuck in the Lost Souls Room.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Octy posted:

That's a relief. I watched the first two episodes a while back and wasn't sure whether to continue with it. They're both great actors and I enjoyed their interactions but the actual mystery wasn't enough to hook me.

I'll spoil what little we learned of the mystery of Night Sky.

I'll call whatever they have in their backyard the device. The mother and daughter in Chile work for an almost religious cult type organization that protects the devices, which are hidden across Earth, and are interconnected, somehow, it's never really explained, to the point where they'll kill anyone who threatens to expose them, although it's never really explained why. They travel through a device in their own backyard, and go to Jersey City to track down Jude. Jude, the hot guy who Sissy found in the device was part of the organization, but left, although it's never really explained why, and is now being hunted by them. Sonya Walger is the head of a splinter group from the organization who is at odds with the organization, although it's never really explained why. There's a power cell orb thing that fuels the device, and when it touches objects, it transports them to the same planet that the device transports you to, although it's never really explained why. During the season JK teams up with his annoying next door neighbor to investigate the device, and JK reveals he's created space suits to survive the extraterrestrial environment. That is explained, just by saying that he's really handy. Of course. JK watches the annoying neighbor leave the device in one of the suits who goes off screen and says over radio that he's seen something amazing, and then disappears. In the final moments of the season, Sissy and JK team back up again, and JK decides to go look for the annoying neighbor outside the device. There he first finds their coffee table that was disappeared when the power cell orb touched it. Then he finds the body of the guy that Jude killed in brief flashbacks, although it's never really explained why they were fighting or who the guy was. Then JK's suit starts to lose pressure, and he begins to pass out. Then Sissy comes outside without a spacesuit to help him, and it's revealed that the atmosphere there is breathable. Then they climb to the top of a hill, and they see a city, which looks like maybe a renaissance Italian city with a church and all. Not just one city, but multiple little enclaves across the landscape. Although, it's never really explained, as it cuts to black right there, and Amazon canceled the series.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

really liking only murders this season so far. its just a vehicle for Steve Martin / Martin short antics. Amy Ryan is really creepy this season

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

I'll spoil what little we learned of the mystery of Night Sky.

I'll call whatever they have in their backyard the device. The mother and daughter in Chile work for an almost religious cult type organization that protects the devices, which are hidden across Earth, and are interconnected, somehow, it's never really explained, to the point where they'll kill anyone who threatens to expose them, although it's never really explained why. They travel through a device in their own backyard, and go to Jersey City to track down Jude. Jude, the hot guy who Sissy found in the device was part of the organization, but left, although it's never really explained why, and is now being hunted by them. Sonya Walger is the head of a splinter group from the organization who is at odds with the organization, although it's never really explained why. There's a power cell orb thing that fuels the device, and when it touches objects, it transports them to the same planet that the device transports you to, although it's never really explained why. During the season JK teams up with his annoying next door neighbor to investigate the device, and JK reveals he's created space suits to survive the extraterrestrial environment. That is explained, just by saying that he's really handy. Of course. JK watches the annoying neighbor leave the device in one of the suits who goes off screen and says over radio that he's seen something amazing, and then disappears. In the final moments of the season, Sissy and JK team back up again, and JK decides to go look for the annoying neighbor outside the device. There he first finds their coffee table that was disappeared when the power cell orb touched it. Then he finds the body of the guy that Jude killed in brief flashbacks, although it's never really explained why they were fighting or who the guy was. Then JK's suit starts to lose pressure, and he begins to pass out. Then Sissy comes outside without a spacesuit to help him, and it's revealed that the atmosphere there is breathable. Then they climb to the top of a hill, and they see a city, which looks like maybe a renaissance Italian city with a church and all. Not just one city, but multiple little enclaves across the landscape. Although, it's never really explained, as it cuts to black right there, and Amazon canceled the series.

It was an interesting premise, and I love anything with JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek... I mean they are just great on screen together and I could watch them act all day. But as much as I love sci-fi, the more I think about it... I think it would have just been kind of cheesy to watch them explore some distant planetary civilization. I think they could have just removed the secret cabal storyline and just left it a very personal story about them and then have it wrap up exactly like it did and call it a day.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What we do in the shadows is back and is on autopilot

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Upsidads posted:

What we do in the shadows is back and is on autopilot

It has gone full "Parks and Rec"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It has gone full "Parks and Rec"

parks and rec was good so i don't know what this means

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Parks and Rec disappeared so far up its own rear end I'm surprised the production didn't collapse into a superdense neutron star. It was so sickly sweet by the end I hated it so much.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I dunno whenever someone talks about a show disappearing "up its own rear end" (or the showrunner doing the same) that's usually when the show gets good.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Parks and rec peaked for me at the harvest festival and got more cartoonish after that. I don't know if it would be called up it's own rear end though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

parks and rec was good so i don't know what this means

The best way I can put it without going :words: is that it went from being a sitcom with fun characters to a fun character sitcom. The inward-focused zaniness of the characters gradually became the primary driver of the comedy, whereas it started as show where the comedy came from how the zany characters reacted to outward elements. This is exactly where What We Do In Shadows is now. Instead of how they deal with the outside Vampire Council, or how they deal with Werewolves, the primary driver of this season is "let's open a nightclub!"

BTW I've never said that either one of these things are "bad" as I don't think either are. They are fundamentally different tho.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I agree with all these posts. P&R became exhausting after Harvest and by the last season had gotten way too cute and the last season was not good, despite the flash-forward being a fun idea. That being said, still a step above most.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

is anyone else feeling more or less lukewarm on The Bear? it's a pretty good hangout show and I'm enjoying lounging while soaking in the show...but it's so nothing. Beyond a few sketchy outlines, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about any of the characters.

Chicago deserves a better show :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

is anyone else feeling more or less lukewarm on The Bear? it's a pretty good hangout show and I'm enjoying lounging while soaking in the show...but it's so nothing. Beyond a few sketchy outlines, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about any of the characters.

Chicago deserves a better show :colbert:

We've already been blessed with Southside.

But yeah, The Bear is just extremely okay. Too many cartoonish caricatures, it definitely feels like an outsider's perception of Chicago.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 20, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ruddiger posted:

We've already been blessed with Southside.

But yeah, The Bear is just extremely okay. Too many cartoonish caricatures, it definitely feels like an outsider's perception of Chicago.

I am getting a lot of entertainment thinking about having a sous chef at a italian beef joint

e. southside might be next. I'm living in the city itself and the vistas of chicago are still making me pine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

there's an entire episode of the bear that, as far as i know, is a genuine single shot take. i'm sure there are some tricks somewhere but i wasn't looking too hard for them. that was entertaining.

and the last episode is wholesome/sweet. i've only ever been to chicago once for less than a day so i don't have any ties to authenticity. i do think it's a nice touch that they added old footage real world footage in a few of the episode intros. the show isn't amazing, but better than a lot of stuff i've watched/tried to watch (which, admittedly, isn't much), and it at least felt like it had a lot of heart.

the dickhead cousin may be a caricature but the actor plays the hell out of his role being a deadbeat loser in denial in a way that, to me, made the acting more invisible than most characters like that.