Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

chippy posted:

Maybe a router in the same room will sort it out.

It’s this. I find line of site to be more important than any setting in either airlink or virtual desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I've been playing Into The Radius and enjoying it but I'm wondering since I couldn't find a clear answer on my brief search: how complete is this game? Early access stuff is always a crapshoot so I just need to find out if like half the game is missing or something

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glagha posted:

So I've been playing Into The Radius and enjoying it but I'm wondering since I couldn't find a clear answer on my brief search: how complete is this game? Early access stuff is always a crapshoot so I just need to find out if like half the game is missing or something

The story is complete, the EA is working on bugs and expanded content. I've been playing it for weeks and can't put it down.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So what would a midtier desktop look like if i wanted a machine to do pcvr? How portable could it be too? I like to bring the quest out to the garage for a bigger play area.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Soonmot posted:

So what would a midtier desktop look like if i wanted a machine to do pcvr? How portable could it be too? I like to bring the quest out to the garage for a bigger play area.

I use a $1200 laptop and it works perfectly. Not super helpful I know, just saying it doesn't take a hell of a lot of juice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Soonmot posted:

My 4790/980 rig gets away with VRing just fine. I have to turn newer games down. But it works alright knowing the expectations and me not expecting to play alex in anything other than low detail.

I personally wouldn't pick up anything slower than a 2070/8700k these days.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
To be fair, Alyx on low settings still looks fuckin incredible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a 4 year old work laptop that runs my Oculus Rift S as well as my desktop.

I brought the Rist in for a work party and was surprised to see it running fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

My 4790/980 rig gets away with VRing just fine. I have to turn newer games down. But it works alright knowing the expectations and me not expecting to play alex in anything other than low detail.

So here's the thing, I've been a console gamer for so long i don't know what that means lol. If I wanted to search amazon for a computer what would I be looking for. Last time I bought a gaming PC was I was making enough money to buy through falcon nw.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Soonmot posted:

So here's the thing, I've been a console gamer for so long i don't know what that means lol. If I wanted to search amazon for a computer what would I be looking for. Last time I bought a gaming PC was I was making enough money to buy through falcon nw.

Whats your budget? If you're not against prebuilts just pick a vendor and throw your budget at it? You really can't "go wrong" these days even with something like the corsair prebuilts (have a friend with one, she loves it).

Falcon NW was crazy money back in the day, so if thats your expectations give us a budget XD

Hell 5950x/3070-3080 builds are like 2000-2500 bucks.

All depends on that budget baby.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd rather get a 3080/12900KS than 3080/5950x if we're talking about that price range.

e: Or 3080/5800X3D for that matter, 5950x is too many cores for gaming.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 18, 2022

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Private Speech posted:

I'd get a 3080/12900KS rather than 3080/5950x if we're talking about that price range.

I'd probably drop the S and just go K personally but yeah I don't disagree in general. I was just slapping prices up based on some decent prebuilts.

I never jumped on the KS bandwagon. I've had great luck with normal K processors for overclocking tbh.

But they both have the same cores. Its thread count thats higher on the AMD side here. :)

There also isn't such a thing as too many cores. You are crazy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Soonmot posted:

hop on https://pcpartpicker.com/. a good starting point if you're not too computer savvy is https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ (or destination if you can't be bothered tweaking stuff)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just gotta say that the latest Blade and Sorcery update is bananas. I'm so impressed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Soonmot posted:

Instead of portable you could always stretch a cable out and add an access point in the garage leaving the pc where it is.
Extra money though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I'm on a 2070 myself, and while it does work nicely for just about everything out of the box, I do notice slowdowns when I try stuff like maxing out the custom settings on Skyrim VR or put a billion characters into a B&S arena.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

habie147 did a video on the new B&S update and it’s kinda got me wanting to try it finally

https://youtu.be/Q_ZDQnOCTVI

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm not making that falcon nw money anymore, so my budget is about 1000 bucks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

habie147 did a video on the new B&S update and it’s kinda got me wanting to try it finally

https://youtu.be/Q_ZDQnOCTVI

Oh hey, I didn't know anyone else here watched Habie. I love his videos.
I spent abut four hours with the new update and it's so good. The new magic abilities alone are worth checking out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

habie rules.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's a good vid and almost has me buying it again after refunding it like 5 days ago but the point he makes later about how this is just begging for a game is how I feel about it and prob why I'm going to wait before buying it (again). These systems are all great and the weapons and magic is all very fun to gently caress around with but I need more motivation to play it other than messing around in a sandbox/wave defense thing. As soon as they add some progression I'm totally back in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I just re-bought into the radius after refunding it like last year some time, so I should probably hold off on B&S, a game I previously refused to buy because it was just a sandbox

Maybe by the time I'm done with Into the radius, another update will come out for B&S

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

That's a good vid and almost has me buying it again after refunding it like 5 days ago but the point he makes later about how this is just begging for a game is how I feel about it and prob why I'm going to wait before buying it (again). These systems are all great and the weapons and magic is all very fun to gently caress around with but I need more motivation to play it other than messing around in a sandbox/wave defense thing. As soon as they add some progression I'm totally back in.

There is a randomly generated dungeon that's been around for a while. You can dictate the length of the dungeon and the difficulty of the enemies.
Now that stealth is in, it's a lot of fun to be a creative assassin.

Plus, with the huge amount of mods available, you're never lacking in new toys.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Steam VR fest today through the morning of the 25th.
Not sure exactly what it entails other than some games are on sale.
https://store.steampowered.com/vr/
The index is, as always, not.

Into the Radius at $21

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone has any recommendations for anything good that came out in the last 6-12 months? Preferably stuff that aren't still in Early Access.

I can't keep playing nothing but Pistol Whip for ever.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I played the beta of ANCIENT DUNGEON way back and liked it a lot, its got 20% off in the sale if you like pixel art and dungeon crawlers

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1125240/Ancient_Dungeon/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Same interesting offers on Steam:

Pavlov is only 4,2€.
A Fisherman Tale is 5€.
Walking Dead S&S is 18€.
Superhot VR is 9€.
Walkabout Minigolf is 7,5€.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Spent about 5 hours playing Barbaria (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1984610/Barbaria/) last night and it's one of the most addictive and fun VR games I've played yet. You build a base and plant traps and minions spending currency - Violence instead of coins - to do so. You earn violence raiding other people's bases or defending your own. It's a mission selection system so you're never directly head-to-head vs. another player though. You're just trying to beat the challenge another player created by fighting the npc's and disabling or avoiding the traps they placed. The combat is fun and visceral with me chopping off heads with an axe or sending imps flying with a massive hammer or simply punching in heads with my massive fists. There's also a spellcasting system where you go into a god's eye view above the map, pick a spell out of your left hand, and drop it on an enemy or three. I also love the graphics and art style, very clean and sharp for a VR game and reminiscent of Orcs Must Die. It's very well polished for an early access title too. Definitely a game I recommend.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That does look neat, reminds me of that one game that came out from Ubisoft or something years ago that has pretty much the same "build up defenses/traps and attack other players' bases" concept except it wasn't VR

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb Question - I've got my computer desk on the north wall of my room. The light houses are on the south wall directly behind me, and I calibrated SteamVR while facing south / the lighthouses [duh :v:]

If I wanted to put a racing wheel stand next to my desk like this:

So I can turn 90º from my computer desk to the wheel setup, would this result in me basically just staring over my shoulder in game because I calibrated it facing south instead of west? Will I have to drag the whole wheel stand into the middle of the room "behind" me so I'm facing south while playing it? I'm guessing so, and that's supremely obnoxious :thunk:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Working on a new game mode for Gorilla Tag. Add slingshots, make it deathmatch, give everyone 3 lives. When you're dead you can stun people still alive to slow them down. It rules pretty hard already

https://twitter.com/LemmingVR/status/1549590958236368898?s=20&t=lTWe-Oqlxp30kfedFO65vQ

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Lemming posted:

Working on a new game mode for Gorilla Tag

That looks pretty great

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Anyone have any impressions on COMPOUND? It just came out of early access and I've had my eye on it for some time, but still was a bit worried that it might be a bit lacking compared to more recent contemporaries (mostly because I've only seen footage of early stuff which looks nice but pretty simple).

Also what is a typical play session of Into the Radius like? Is the gameplay similar to something like the story mode of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners? Because I'd love more of that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Gave Table of Tales a try.
Enjoyable so far and only $15 on the steam sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030310/Table_of_Tales_The_Crooked_Crown/

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

OgNar posted:

Picked up this one, Walkabout and the DLC, and Phasmaphobia. I better figure out what’s with all the drat stuttering that keeps me from wanting to put the Quest 2 on already :/

It’s not even real bad, just low frame rates and occasional “black borders while I turn my head while rendering catches up” while neither the GPU (2060 Super) or the cpu (3 something ryzen) aren’t doing all the work they could be doing. There’s so much to fiddle with it’s overwhelming—this is wireless with VD & steamvr. Dropping back down to 72hz seemed to help, but it’s just off enough feeling that it gives me a headache pretty quick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OgNar posted:

This is super charming looking

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Picked up this one, Walkabout and the DLC, and Phasmaphobia. I better figure out what’s with all the drat stuttering that keeps me from wanting to put the Quest 2 on already :/

It’s not even real bad, just low frame rates and occasional “black borders while I turn my head while rendering catches up” while neither the GPU (2060 Super) or the cpu (3 something ryzen) aren’t doing all the work they could be doing. There’s so much to fiddle with it’s overwhelming—this is wireless with VD & steamvr. Dropping back down to 72hz seemed to help, but it’s just off enough feeling that it gives me a headache pretty quick.

If I had to guess I'd say bandwidth is too high. If I turn mine up to 150 in virtual desktop I get that black edges when you turn thing. I turned mine back down to 100 and it's fine but it'll depend on your hardware/networking setup.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Got around to playing A Fisherman's Tale.
~$5 during the sale. Super short game, and the last level seemed like it forgot everything it taught me up to that point, but really liked it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/559330/A_Fishermans_Tale/

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I replaced my router got a wifi 6 one and the difference with wireless vr is pretty big. There's a lot of data, might be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a new VR Bundle on Fanatical, pretty meh selection but does have WW1 Warplanes in there for $8.99 if you were interested in that one.