Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Haven't paid attention to warmahordes in years but I heard they were introducing the Orgoth as a faction and now that I've checked out the preview stuff they seem extremely underwhelming. The aesthetic niche they're trying to cover is already filled with Cryx and Skorne too well so everything they shown just feel super derivative of models already in their range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Haven't paid attention to warmahordes in years but I heard they were introducing the Orgoth as a faction and now that I've checked out the preview stuff they seem extremely underwhelming. The aesthetic niche they're trying to cover is already filled with Cryx and Skorne too well so everything they shown just feel super derivative of models already in their range.
This was largely me and my friends' reaction as well. We mostly just play Killteam now.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

They needed something new, and Orgoth was the thing folks clamoured for despite PP swearing up and down that would never happen for years.

Looks-wise they did kinda shoot themselves in the foot, their new look is kinda lacking compared to the old viking/oni crossover thing they had going on.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Well said, there are some parts of models I think look pretty neat, but the faction just doesn't seem to have a strong visual theme.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It also doesn't help that the new studio painter has such a busy style, I think the paint obscures the sculpt. Overall Orgoth feel underwhelming but the look of them seems particularly bad.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The hyper mega blown out overuse of NMM by the new studio painter was the only real turn off for me, aesthetically. Maybe I missed the overall thematic vision for the paint job, but it was just so off-putting and stark against the old studio paint schemes that I painted my Khador and Retribution armies to.

I check in every few months to the website and the subreddit hoping to see a Mk.IV announcement with some sort of return to the Mk.II style of list play, perhaps with some lessons learned from Mk.III, but either way, getting far away from the forced focus on theme lists.

One day….

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, the NMM kills it for me too. I genuinely had a difficult time picking out some details over it.

Apparently there's some big announcement they've advertised for later this month but who knows what it is.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
S.J., you’ve been probably the most keyed in to PP person in the thread, do you know if they’ve heard the negative sentiment toward the studio scheme at all, and/or if there’s any direction to tone it down or perhaps provide an alternative studio scheme that doesn’t lean so hard into it?

Honestly, with seemingly only the most rabid hangers-on still posting in the Reddit and Facebook groups that I was subscribed to, there isn’t a thing PP could do that the fanboys wouldn’t fall over themselves to fawn over, so I wonder if the echo chambering isn’t furthering the drive in that off-putting direction.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Every time this thread pops up, I'm reminded that I have a massive pile of Minis that I really need to work on.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

koreban posted:

The hyper mega blown out overuse of NMM by the new studio painter was the only real turn off for me, aesthetically. Maybe I missed the overall thematic vision for the paint job, but it was just so off-putting and stark against the old studio paint schemes that I painted my Khador and Retribution armies to.

I check in every few months to the website and the subreddit hoping to see a Mk.IV announcement with some sort of return to the Mk.II style of list play, perhaps with some lessons learned from Mk.III, but either way, getting far away from the forced focus on theme lists.

One day….

Without massive changes I can't see a MkIV succeeding at this point. Huge swaths of the range are outdated or flat out unavailable, and the SKU bloat combined with how PP treated retailers during the edition change will keep it off shelves.

I honestly think you'd need to squat multiple unit entries in each of the original factions to get this back to a healthy state.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn’t that basically what they did with Starmahordes?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well, it's a smaller line at the moment but they've had three kickstarters in less than two years; they're expanding it as fast as they can. I suppose making the 'Jacks customizable helps a little with SKU bloat.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It would not be that hard to collapse the roster bloat tbh. Just combine similar units and have the differences be cosmetic. There’s one type of shadowy thrall, one type of iron fang, one type of trencher, etc.

Maybe make jacks modular like warhammer dreadnoughts and collapse to a few chassis per faction.

Can’t un-blow up your world, though, good luck with that one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The setting changes they've made post-Oblivion are really cool and interesting but almost completely unrepresented in WM/H. Ios is turbohosed, the Protectorate no longer meaningfully exists, Rhul is becoming more involved than ever and integrating refugees from all over, it's really compelling stuff but I don't know how much if at all it can impact the wargame side.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What's goin' on with Cryx? How do you find this stuff out?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

No idea about Cryx yet, but that Kickstarter is ongoing. I've backed both of the IKRPG Kickstarters and just read Borderlands and Beyond a few weeks ago. I don't know if the mechanics are worth anything since I've never played 5e but the lore and settings stuff has been really, really good. Same with Warcaster, though at least with that I hold out some hope that someday I'll get to play it.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

rantmo posted:

No idea about Cryx yet, but that Kickstarter is ongoing. I've backed both of the IKRPG Kickstarters and just read Borderlands and Beyond a few weeks ago. I don't know if the mechanics are worth anything since I've never played 5e but the lore and settings stuff has been really, really good. Same with Warcaster, though at least with that I hold out some hope that someday I'll get to play it.

Just take the lore and use it with 2d6 ikrpg, that game was legit good, but like all PP products eventually abandoned.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, I haven't played a TTRPG in 10 years now so the system is pretty irrelevant for me. I always heard that the old system was pretty janky to actually run, though it always looked like a pretty interesting system.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So the setting updates are basically only coming in through the RPG kickstarters? Ugh

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, ever since they stop publishing books for the wargames, the RPG is the only game in town.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Game is nearly impossible to get back into as well, if you have old models they are uniformly bad, the gameplay is very blowout-heavy (i dropped into a local event and killed 0 models in a day of brawlmachine), and special rule bloat is ridiculous.

when i made a list and realised that temple flameguard, my theoretical basic line infantry models, have 10 special abilities it kind of stood out.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Game seems very fun right now, but I suppose that can vary depending on who plays locally.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Maneck posted:

Game seems very fun right now, but I suppose that can vary depending on who plays locally.

Or the lack of anyone playing in many areas. In Florida the game went from the main focus of a convention in Orlando (Crucible), to appearing at that convention pretty much only on paper.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I have played 1 game since covid because like half the regulars here turned out to be either anti Vax or just incredible right wing chuds. Kinda killed my desire to play or interact with them at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty much just planning on painting up a bunch of the models I have and using them for some indie games at this point.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I played several matches on Wartable last year against one of my friends and I really liked the experience. There's definitely a little bit of a learning curve to start with but once you get comfortable with it, it's a good platform for games.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
A lot of the satisfaction of miniatures games for me comes from playing with figures I assembled and painted myself. I guess it's not really rational, but it just feels like somethings missing when I play online, or even with someone else's figs.

Sorry, don't mean to poo poo on anyone else's parade, I guess it's good to keep the game alive qny way you can.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

We had a pretty big competitive community here in Alberta during Mk2, a combination of Mk3's bad rollout and people moving on killed off about half of it.

A few months ago Asoiaf killed the rest of it, to where 4 people showing up to play warmahordes is rare.

We'll see what Mk4 brings

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's fascinating to me, I've never seen a single person play that game.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I know a couple people who have factions but they mostly play at home. never seen a game at a lgs

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I’ve seen some incredibly enthusiastic stuff about asoiaf on YouTube but yeah, I don’t know anyone who plays it

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It plays kinda like a smaller scale version of Warhammer Fantasy crossed with modern design, so rank and flank mixed with premeasuring and a card deck you play for extra abilities. It's really caught on locally with both our competitive folks and non-competitive folks.

Ever since the latest rules update it really seems to be picking up steam again, product issues aside.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah I've heard good things about the mechanics, too bad it's an IP/aesthetic I'll never be interested in though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

S.J. posted:

Yeah I've heard good things about the mechanics, too bad it's an IP/aesthetic I'll never be interested in though.

Seems like it'd be easy enough to file the serial numbers off and make a generic homebrew version...

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Warmachine MKIV just announced on Primecast+ dropping this fall. Thank gently caress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh poo poo. I haven't seen it yet, any details?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
All rules in an app, with fluff, for free.

Subscription to store rosters in the app and for extra content. I'd rather pay the one time fee but, yeah, that's a better business model for an ongoing service that will need updating.

EDIT: All models to be 3D printed going forward.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 26, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's not so bad honestly. I do hope they do some serious redrawing of the rules from the ground up though rather than just trying to refigure the existing system.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The video is scant on details other than a lot of renderings of new figs. They call out Orgoth Sea Raiders, Cygnar Storm Legion, and Khador Winter Korps too though the context of that is kind of unclear. They also announced a faction for 2023 which I presume is the Eldritch/Soulless masses from what's left of Ios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Maneck posted:

All rules in an app, with fluff, for free.

Subscription to store rosters in the app and for extra content. I'd rather pay the one time fee but, yeah, that's a better business model for an ongoing service that will need updating.

EDIT: All models to be 3D printed going forward.

Oh poo poo, where are you seeing all this?