Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

biceps crimes posted:

london is going to spontaneously combust tomorrow

Is it possible to make London bust on purpose before the heat hits to avoid the worst of the worst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The country will build population-level immunity against the next wave, if you know what they mean.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Freezer towels are great.

:yeah:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I gave my cat a freezer towel once and he did NOT appreciate it

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

air conditioning is a great trick while it lasts
everyone just needs to lose enough weight that 85 with zero humidity doesn't make us sweat

Yep. In Texas and every day is gambling whether or not the grid will poo poo itself that day. We are basically on track to have either the hottest or maybe second hottest summer on record (hottest so far was 2011). It used to not generally get this hot this early in the year. We were hitting 100+°F in June when historically it’s more likely to make it til End of July maybe even early August before you see that. It’s basically the deep August heat we would normally experience for maybe a week in August, except it’s been like that every day for month and a half. Of course to all the chuds here this is just how hot it’s always been.

I will say that is part of my current motivation to exercise and loose weight. It’s too hot to have the body of a goon!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah but nothing worse than exercising in the southern heat

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

biceps crimes posted:

im okay with this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah but nothing worse than exercising in the southern heat

That why everyone is so fat?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SirPablo posted:

That why everyone is so fat?

That and Southern food.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Relevant Tangent posted:

air conditioning is a great trick while it lasts
everyone just needs to lose enough weight that 85 with zero humidity doesn't make us sweat

This is a dirty rotten lie

I was told I'd stop hating the heat after losing weight and 90 lbs later and technically underweight I was more of a sweat golem than ever before in my life :mad:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd rather just live in a cave. Subterranean caves are always a little cold, summer or winter.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Basement life 5ever, sorry if you have to be above ground in the summer or winter.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

it's going to be awful to be in London tomorrow, also there's a heatwave

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

biceps crimes posted:

London Calling to Sears Tomorrow

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd rather just live in a cave. Subterranean caves are always a little cold, summer or winter.

I'm honestly waiting for all the people unwilling to surrender their equity in their McMansions in places like Arizona to earth shelter. Just thousands and thousands of 5000sqft houses covered in bespoke dirt/soil trucked in from places where things will grow, using what water is left to insulate and grow greenery on said mounds for additional cooling.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Jul 18, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Best nights sleep I ever had was in a motel in Coober Pedy that was in an old opal mine.
Pitch black, silent and an ambient temp of 18c all year round.
Loads of people there live underground in old mines.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
https://twitter.com/Big_Red_Mikey/status/1547582571529138176

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm honestly waiting for all the people unwilling to surrender their equity in their McMansions in places like Arizona to earth shelter. Just thousands and thousands of 5000sqft houses covered in bespoke dirt/soil trucked in from places where things will grow, using what water is left to insulate and grow greenery on said mounds for additional cooling.

Arizona actually has a lot of fertile areas. it's the lack of water that holds it back

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
up yours, woke gardeners! we'll see who cultivates who!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Helith posted:

Best nights sleep I ever had was in a motel in Coober Pedy that was in an old opal mine.
Pitch black, silent and an ambient temp of 18c all year round.
Loads of people there live underground in old mines.

Carry on.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

green means good

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hey, that's only ~88x the maximum safe level. Nothing to worry about!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
With AC humans can live anywhere.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Eh a radon level of 13 is gently caress all, you only need to worry when it gets over 100
Cornwall in England is much worse for Radon as some areas reach 200 Bq/m3

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Helith posted:

Eh a radon level of 13 is gently caress all, you only need to worry when it gets over 100
Cornwall in England is much worse for Radon as some areas reach 200 Bq/m3

Maybe they should truck dirt in from arizona instead

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hifi posted:

Maybe they should truck dirt in from arizona instead

truck dirt from Arizona to England? lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Spergin Morlock posted:

truck dirt from Arizona to England? lol

Or New Mexico

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
wahoo oo

heatwaves in london

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's on!
The UK Guardian has opened it's heatwave liveblog

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The roasting of the gammons has commenced

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe this will finally be what does in Lizzie

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nature is showing all of England

roasting is the way, not boiling

learn or perish

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paradoxish posted:

I was told I'd stop hating the heat after losing weight and 90 lbs later and technically underweight I was more of a sweat golem than ever before in my life :mad:

I'm sorry if this comes across as me making fun of you - but this post made me laugh out loud

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

nature is showing all of England

roasting is the way, not boiling

learn or perish

Oh just wait couple of decades and England'll be boiling alright

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mola Yam posted:

up yours, woke gardeners! we'll see who cultivates who!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

It's a bit of a pickle. You have less fat so you have less insulation and you should run cooler. But if you're skinny that's because you're maintaining a higher metabolism; skinny people sweat a lot like fat people and for the same reason, high metabolism! Add to this the heat generating effects of any muscle gain and yeah it's a wash.

Edit: congratulations on dropping the weight. Great work, you should be proud

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

London Calling *now*

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

linked the guardian’s uk live feed in the img link above, I liked the statistics about ridership (down 18% on the metro from a week ago), and all the people in power having a monday

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Stay safe, health ghost boss

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

There is a boomer retiree down the street from me who currently has the only green lawn in the entire neighborhood. You are only allowed to use sprinklers two days a week and only at night/before sunrise (and even then most people are basically abandoning watering their lawns right now). You can, however, hand water with a hose as much as you want. So he’s out there 2 hours every day baking his brain in the Texas heat hand watering his yard. Pure boomer ideology *sniff*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Unless posted:

linked the guardian’s uk live feed in the img link above, I liked the statistics about ridership (down 18% on the metro from a week ago), and all the people in power having a monday

But that would exceed the most extreme forecasts and Notorious RIM assured me that would be impossible and asinine?