Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Serious Sam RTX looks pretty good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

grack posted:

What's up fellow "I strapped a pair of 120mm Noctua fans to my 2080's heatsink so it would run quieter" Goon
I did the same, but with Asus (Vega 56) Strix. They have handy 4-pin fan connectors at the end of the card so it's stupid easy.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

grack posted:

Instead of trying to run the fans off of the card, I went the much more expedient route and plugged them in to an unused motherboard header. I then used Fan Control to set a custom curve based on GPU temps.

:hmmyes:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

shrike82 posted:

Depends on the type of game, I couldn’t get into the original Deus Ex game because of how clunky it is

And I played it when it released back in the day

Glad I’m not alone there. I loved hearing my friends talking about it but the game always felt to me like a professional-looking but unwieldy set of mechanics bolted into the Unreal engine. That’s not intended as disrespect - I just missed the boat, and doubt I’ll ever make the time to experience it, now. I will say that this enhanced renderer for Unreal engine 1.x titles makes a night and day difference for Deus Ex.

And I’d love to grab an Intel graphics card in around six months. Based on past experience the Linux drivers should be resolutely good by then, and Intel’s devs have made some cheerful noise about ensuring the cards will work on non-x86 architectures. A lower end one could be just the thing for the Power9 system I’m finally building this week… until then I’ll make do with a Radeon Pro W5500.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I mean, it was unwieldly. Anyone ever try the multiplayer they patched in? Hoo boy. I rebound my keys from WASD to TFGH because I needed so many drat aug hotkeys handy.

What was impressive was that they tried to do a jack of all trades game with fairly open levels, good writing, multiple viable approaches to objectives, stealth/shooter/rpg mechanics in an fps, etc. and managed to get enough right that it still came out really good.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 18, 2022

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

pofcorn posted:

Drivers matter much less for dx12/vulkan right ? And for lesser known dx11 stuff, could they do some kind of dxvk, like in linux?

It's just anecdotal, but I've seen as many if not more driver patch notes involving dx12 as there is dx11 stuff.
And a lot of the times it's really bad, too like frame pacing from hell, missing textures, hosed up or no lighting, hard crashes (ugh the new Hitmans) etc.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

on paper dx12 drivers have far fewer responsibilities than dx11 drivers did, but they still have to contend with games simply using dx12 incorrectly, requiring driver side workarounds for stability or performance

it's especially a problem for intel as there's probably a huge backlog of bugs in dx12 games that were never caught because they don't manifest on AMD or NVs hardware

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

repiv posted:

it's especially a problem for intel as there's probably a huge backlog of bugs in dx12 games that were never caught because they don't manifest on AMD or NVs hardware

Or, more likely, they do manifest but the driver teams squashed it with a release day driver update. That happens constantly.

Intel at least seems conscious of the fact that they're way behind the 8 ball with this, I think they're fully aware that this release is a public beta at best.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The FF7:R DX12 out of the box experience is horrendous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how long do you all think it'll take for intel to give up and just use dxvk for everything? i'm sitting here with a debian desktop with an almost 2 year old kernel and libmesa, and when poo poo don't work i just have to update the proton/dxvk combo lol

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Phone posted:

I've been playing it with the texture improvement pack in DX11 (which doesn't permit some of the improvements, but still has most of them) because I heard so much about DX12 sucking with it. Awesome game though, can't wait for the rest. I still feel like if FF7 had come out like this all piecemeal back in the day it wouldn't have been the smash hit that it was, but nobody asked me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Or, more likely, they do manifest but the driver teams squashed it with a release day driver update. That happens constantly.

that too, but intel engineers have literally been complaining on twitter about things like games hard-coding shaders for 32-wide or 64-wide SIMD, which then blows up on their 8-wide architecture

dx12 and vulkan have a lot of ceremony that's required according to the spec, but isn't relevant to all architectures so making a mistake won't necessarily cause any visible bugs (until intel comes along with a ground-up brand new architecture with different quirks)

both APIs have validation layers that are supposed to catch mistakes even if they don't cause any immediately obvious problems, but they're not perfect and you can't actually force developers to fix all the validation errors that come up anyway

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 18, 2022

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

that too, but intel engineers have literally been complaining on twitter about things like games hard-coding shaders for 32-wide or 64-wide SIMD, which then blows up on their 8-wide architecture

haha, link?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:ssh: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=3113&perpage=40#post522665319

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Phone posted:

Unreal engine games have been doing very very very poorly on the DX12 side of things lately. Stray is the latest example of a horrible stuttery mess.

PC versions of UE5 games will be no-go zones unless Epic pulls their finger out fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Unreal engine games have been doing very very very poorly on the DX12 side of things lately. Stray is the latest example of a horrible stuttery mess.

PC versions of UE5 games will be no-go zones unless Epic pulls their finger out fast.

Someone at Epic said during a recent Q&A and they're looking into a fix for shader compilation stutters, but I'll believe it when I see it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unreal tends to generate a bajillion shader variants so they can't really frontload all compilation, the compromise they said they're working on is to queue up shader compilation in the background when an asset is first streamed in, rather than when it first comes into view, so it will usually be compiled by the time you see it. results will probably depend on how much surplus CPU power you have though.

H:ZD had an extremely lengthy frontloaded compilation step originally and i think they switched to a similar compile-on-stream system in one of the updates

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

haha, I absolutely cannot be expected to remember some bullshit I posted three whole months ago!

and actually April was a terrible month for me personally lol, had two acutely sick pets and new feeding routines for everyone and a cat tearing off bandages multiple times per day, and medical issues of my own, I’m sure I’ve stress-forgotten even more.

Anyway the other thing that brings to mind is SVE… everyone is gung-ho on this idea that SVE solves vector width forever. But theres a fair amount of edge cases that do implicitly depend on wave size even in the general case, compilers and assembly programmers are gonna write code that is optimal for the hardware rather than generic and slow. Go too wide and you’re spilling registers to memory (and vector is frequently memory bottlenecked) or thrashing caches and wasting a ton of performance, go too narrow and you’re leaving performance on the table with idle lanes.

And of course the relative performance of different implementations is not guaranteed either. Processor A may implement some instruction slowly such that a workaround is worth it, and that might run badly on processor B. AVX2 is a generic standard too but that doesn’t mean you don’t emit different code on Zen1 and Haswell.

All the same “but programmers are supposed to look at the wave size and write generic code that works on any wave!” falls apart in practice the first time you want to unroll a loop or something (yes I know that’s less common on GPUs but w/e, also Duff’s Device does allow arbitrary unrolls like this) or some other thing that needs to know about the actual hardware, assuming your algorithm doesn’t make implicit assumptions about it somewhere like some of the ones mentioned in that article.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 18, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sick pets are the worst bud, i'm glad it sounds like things have improved a bit.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

All the same “but programmers are supposed to look at the wave size and write generic code that works on any wave!” falls apart in practice the first time you want to unroll a loop or something (yes I know that’s less common on GPUs but w/e, also Duff’s Device does allow arbitrary unrolls like this) or some other thing that needs to know about the actual hardware, assuming your algorithm doesn’t make implicit assumptions about it somewhere like some of the ones mentioned in that article.

https://github.com/google/highway - a library that developers can use to abstract away the specifics of the vector ops (it supports S-SSE3, SSE4, AVX2, AVX-512, AVX3_DL, NEON, SVE, SVE2, WASM SIMD, RISC-V V).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know if it was the latest optional drivers or the fact that I did a complete clean install of them but my game performance seems to gotten a lot better on a 5700x. Takes the bite out of waiting till the next generations come out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

https://github.com/google/highway - a library that developers can use to abstract away the specifics of the vector ops (it supports S-SSE3, SSE4, AVX2, AVX-512, AVX3_DL, NEON, SVE, SVE2, WASM SIMD, RISC-V V).

surely one more piece of middleware will result in fast and efficient code being as easy as 1-2-3!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

surely one more piece of middleware will result in fast and efficient code being as easy as 1-2-3!

Yeah, it’s too bad no CPU vendor ever had the idea of providing primitives for performance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know if it was the latest optional drivers or the fact that I did a complete clean install of them but my game performance seems to gotten a lot better on a 5700x. Takes the bite out of waiting till the next generations come out.

Clean installs on new hardware is always a good idea, if I get a new CPU or GPU I tend to do a reformat for this very reason

They managed to make new windows installs quick and painless nowadays, I reformatted late last year when I got a 5600X and was pleasantly surprised that it was all done, updates and all, in about an hour.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are prices declining because supply has caught up or because of crypto imploding and killing demand?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeston 3080 10GB for $850 after $250 coupon code, +$200 newegg gift card (so it's like it's $650 if you're buying other stuff on Newegg): https://www.newegg.com/yeston-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx3080-10g-d6x-ya/p/1FT-007N-00071

This previously had a $120 gift card attached, but now it's $200. Kinda, sorta, below-MSRP 3080?

edit: They changed it back to a $120 gift card. I wonder if that was a mistake

icantfindaname posted:

Are prices declining because supply has caught up or because of crypto imploding and killing demand?

The reasons are unclear, but probably a combination of both. Nvidia earlier in the year said they expect supply to improve for each successive quarter this year, and I believe some other companies have said the same. And you can tell by the ethereum hash rate trends that miners have stopped buying new cards. Some have even started selling, though the sell-off hasn't been as dramatic as some news stories will lead you to believe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 19, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Clean installs on new hardware is always a good idea, if I get a new CPU or GPU I tend to do a reformat for this very reason

They managed to make new windows installs quick and painless nowadays, I reformatted late last year when I got a 5600X and was pleasantly surprised that it was all done, updates and all, in about an hour.

In fairness, installing windows has never been a painful thing since I can remember. Even including setting it up. What's annoying is installing everything after that isn't just games. Like audio software where each software needs another weird license manager that you need to email the company because youve got the wrong password and so forth and so forth.

Or simulation games that lose all their settings because they don't recognize your devices as the same IDs anymore.

But yeah setting up after changing hardware is still a good idea if feasible. I remember that as late as 2019 windows would behave glitchy after new hardware before I nuked it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are just so many things i want to change for a daily driver Windows install. Theres at least 2 hours of just turning poo poo off, uninstalling, force disabling background garbage with PowerShell, etc.

I guess i should probably just use one of the debloat scripts... but I just have a pristine install on an old SSD i can clone now, lol. Makes mass benchmarking a lot easier.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why would this be helpful for a new CPU or GPU in 2022, especially if you’re upgrading in-family?

It seems like folk wisdom at this point, though I recognize that it could avoid problems in the early Windows era.

I’ll buy an argument that the improvement is unrelated to the new hardware and is more from having an excuse to wipe all the other background crud that accumulates in the time between upgrades.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 19, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

icantfindaname posted:

It seems to be the latter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

icantfindaname posted:

Both, but mostly demand dropping and not just because of Crypto.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ll buy an argument that the improvement is unrelated to the new hardware and is more from having an excuse to wipe all the other background crud that accumulates in the time between upgrades.

That's pretty much exactly it for me and I wager most others too. In-family it should be fine but I can imagine if you're changing sides there's a lot of stuff you just want to make sure it's gone. Especially if it's a new chipset for a new CPU.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cygni posted:

There are just so many things i want to change for a daily driver Windows install. Theres at least 2 hours of just turning poo poo off, uninstalling, force disabling background garbage with PowerShell, etc.

I guess i should probably just use one of the debloat scripts... but I just have a pristine install on an old SSD i can clone now, lol. Makes mass benchmarking a lot easier.

O&O Shutup 10 makes it real easy to turn off a bunch of annoying stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a reason I get such a bumpy 60 in Wolfenstein Old Blood (idTech5 so capped at 60)?

Compare this to a regular game at my frame cap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the engine probably has it's own FPS capping logic that isn't optimal

you should just remove the FPS cap anyway

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/849-id5-tweaker/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

the engine probably has it's own FPS capping logic that isn't optimal

you should just remove the FPS cap anyway

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/849-id5-tweaker/

This is the gamepass version, so I'm not sure if it's possible/a good idea.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's not much you can do about it without the mod

i suppose you could try setting a driver FPS cap at something like 58fps so the engine FPS limiter never kicks in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

there's not much you can do about it without the mod

i suppose you could try setting a driver FPS cap at something like 58fps so the engine FPS limiter never kicks in

smart, thanks.

it still doesn't feel good, but that might just be high frame rate withdrawal.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Games with inbuilt 60 fps caps are so annoying

Elden ring is a billion times better when the cap is modded out, honestly no need for it. They say its to do with the physics engine interactions but I've spent like a hundred hours and not seen a single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

anyone need 24 gigs of vram?

$1000 for a new zotac 3090 on woot

https://www.woot.com/offers/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3090-trinity-oc