Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/Ucm-bgsadhU

Mortar war wagons wrecking face against HoC

The title is wrong, that's a WH2 game. Still pretty neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The character I want to see most for DLC is the Monkey King. However, his base is in the Mountains of Heaven is juuust cut off from the RoC map, and it doesn’t seem to be in IE either. That CA Q&A from Thursday really seemed to want to tamp down hopes of map expansion happening any time soon. The eastern edge of the map has plenty of room for Yuan Bo or Li Dao, but they’d probably want to put another race there to shake things up. The sea dragon’s provinces are cut off from the RoC map, but maybe that’ll be an excuse to have her set up shop on the western edge of the map, where there’s actually water. I'm not super interested in them. We also already have two transforming dragons and could use some variety.

So I guess I think the Monkey King’s best hope is a far-flung expedition start. I do believe them when they say that they’ll leave those areas blank for a long time. Even if CA wanted to fill Ind and Khuresh with Old World human and elven colonists, raiders, and monster squatters, that would still require GW’s writers to come up with a bunch of places and their lore, as any official maps I see look pretty sparse. Ind and Khuresh together look to be as big as Lustria, but ME had a pretty big chunk that never got filled out either.

I feel like both Kislev and Cathay need a regular fighting human dude LL, and with Boris filling that role for Kislev, we are closer to getting Mother Ostankya! She’s based in the Duklys first to the northeast of Katarina. There’s lots of room, but again we want varied starting positions, so maybe she could go further into Chaos lands.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 18, 2022

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I'm with Loremaster here in that I think we're actually gonna get several massive map expansions across the lifecycle of game 3. There is a TON of wasted space on the north of the map, and the northeast in particular. I could very well see them extending out the steepes to bring in the Khanate, pulling the map north and Ind/Kursh westward on top of that to make room for Nippon and some of those other areas. Once the game drops we'll also be able to see how much of the hidden by fog but not the eternal outer edge part of the map exists that they used in game 2 to grow into. They were thinking far enough ahead back in game 2 to leave room to work with and expand on the ME map, they'll definitely be doing the same for IE. I can easily see 120 LLs at the end of the game, and wouldn't be surprised if it was working up towards 150. There are a lot of factions and named lords still out there just asking for updates and releases - if they go at a pace of 4 lords per DLC as we're getting in this first one, and 1 DLC per quarter, that's 16 LLs a year. Not even counting FLC and new race packs.

To be clear, they are going to be digging into that bag of obscurity as well, but if they bring in just one more never released faction (khanate, nippon, ind, etc) that's another 8 LLs in the bag right off the top. And we know we're getting Chaos Dwarves, which will be rich with LL potential. And all signs point to Cathay being a stunning success for them, so I would not be surprised to see them look to extend that into new potential markets for their IP.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Ind and Khuresh are 3+ years out, if they're coming at all. What's more likely in the near term is for provinces to get slowly added to their northern parts in IE, which would leave room for the Monkey King. In RoC they could put him almost anywhere in the east, nobody will really care very much. For other potential Cathay lords, I agree that the sea dragon of the eastern provinces is ironically likely to start on the western side of the RoC map... and there are currently a couple very obvious holes in Lustria waiting for her. The fire dragon... again, RoC doesn't matter much but I'm not sure what they'd do for IE. Assuming the Monkey King is also Cathayan, putting both of them in their expected spots would mean that you'd have the biggest rivalry in the area be Cathay vs. Cathay. I also think we might see the jade dragon, who'll slide a bit east towards the coast to fill in for his sister and be the anti-DE guy (and also to murder whoever ends up in Warhammer Korea once the map gets extended there). Anyway, the point is that Cathay could easily end up with six lords.

Kislev, on the other hand, is like Cathay in that they don't have much of a lore reason to be spread out, but unlike Cathay they don't have the room to just camp a bunch of lords back home. I guess there's space in the Eastern Oblast/Goromadny Mountains for someone, but that start is mostly a watered-down Boris campaign really (or, worse, it's watering down Katarin's campaign by distracting most of her immediate threats). I'm guessing they cap out at just four lords, although I'm excited to be proven wrong.

Ogres are getting at least two more lords. My understanding is that they're still missing a good part of their roster, plus the great thing about their lords is that they can be put down literally anywhere and nobody will complain much.

Chaos... who knows? They have a very deep well to draw from and if CA returns to the "X and the Y" format it'll be real easy to have a Daemon be the X every time.

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run? I'm trying to figure out some starts that won't be affected too much by future lord additions, so that I don't feel obliged to backfill later. Which basically means looking to the Southlands, Naggarond, Albion, and possibly Ulthuan and the northern/southern Chaos Wastes. Be'lakor seems like it'll be a good time murdering, Repanse is always a classic, Volkmar is her remix-as-a-throwback version, Teclis II: Southlands Boogaloo lets you get to the Eastern Colonies, Grombrindal gets to kill All The Elves, and the Sisters get to teleport to exotic lands and murder all the squatters in them that should have loving well known that all woods belong to the wood elves. I'm leaning towards Be'lakor to try out the new-model WoC, I think.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run? I'm trying to figure out some starts that won't be affected too much by future lord additions, so that I don't feel obliged to backfill later. Which basically means looking to the Southlands, Naggarond, Albion, and possibly Ulthuan and the northern/southern Chaos Wastes. Be'lakor seems like it'll be a good time murdering, Repanse is always a classic, Volkmar is her remix-as-a-throwback version, Teclis II: Southlands Boogaloo lets you get to the Eastern Colonies, Grombrindal gets to kill All The Elves, and the Sisters get to teleport to exotic lands and murder all the squatters in them that should have loving well known that all woods belong to the wood elves. I'm leaning towards Be'lakor to try out the new-model WoC, I think.

Either a Settra run or Eltharion to put N'kari and the other daemons in to elf jail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just had a thought, I wonder how the healing changes will affect revivification crystals, would be very funny if lizards turn into necrons.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Saurus are already terminators, if revivification gets better Gor-Rok will eat everything

As for first campaigns; I want to try Skrolk, Imrik or a WE

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Goddammit Eltharion you’re a loose bolt thrower. You can’t just knock down every minor settlement and toss anyone you find in jail. The Phoenix King has been bustin’ my chops all month long and now you’re throwing greater demons in the slammer? You son of a bitch one more incident and you get desk duty for the next 200 years!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TaintedBalance posted:

I'm with Loremaster here in that I think we're actually gonna get several massive map expansions across the lifecycle of game 3. There is a TON of wasted space on the north of the map, and the northeast in particular. I could very well see them extending out the steepes to bring in the Khanate, pulling the map north and Ind/Kursh westward on top of that to make room for Nippon and some of those other areas. Once the game drops we'll also be able to see how much of the hidden by fog but not the eternal outer edge part of the map exists that they used in game 2 to grow into. They were thinking far enough ahead back in game 2 to leave room to work with and expand on the ME map, they'll definitely be doing the same for IE. I can easily see 120 LLs at the end of the game, and wouldn't be surprised if it was working up towards 150. There are a lot of factions and named lords still out there just asking for updates and releases - if they go at a pace of 4 lords per DLC as we're getting in this first one, and 1 DLC per quarter, that's 16 LLs a year. Not even counting FLC and new race packs.

To be clear, they are going to be digging into that bag of obscurity as well, but if they bring in just one more never released faction (khanate, nippon, ind, etc) that's another 8 LLs in the bag right off the top. And we know we're getting Chaos Dwarves, which will be rich with LL potential. And all signs point to Cathay being a stunning success for them, so I would not be surprised to see them look to extend that into new potential markets for their IP.

Given that they have said, over and over, that new races are something they aren't even looking at, why do you think they'll magic up 3+ new factions? I don't get it at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Snikch and Lokhir will have a friend in Cathay then
DE with Skaven allies, sign me the gently caress up.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

The bigger question to me is what races won't see more new lords (if any).

Should never have been more than 6 Dino Lords, throws the whole thing off. Bust Nakai down to legendary hero status since no one likes his campaign anyway.

Lokhir sounds like a great time. Especially if it looks like those rivers near him can be navigated like the ones through the empire. That's a lot of Black Ark coverage.

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 18, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Who knows what form it takes, but if they can get back in the groove of DLC (and goodwill) they had in TWW2 I can’t imagine they won’t keep trying to find stuff to put out for a long rear end time to come. The next fantasy game is probably what like 2026/2027 or something? They were obviously making huge bank on DLC so sure I wouldn’t really be surprised by anything at this point. Like if you went back to 2016 and said hey the good guys in game three are Cathay and Kislev it’d sound like pure fantasy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I just had a thought, I wonder how the healing changes will affect revivification crystals, would be very funny if lizards turn into necrons.

Yeah, with all healing being percentage based now... Gor-rok is gonna feast.

Anno posted:

Who knows what form it takes, but if they can get back in the groove of DLC (and goodwill) they had in TWW2 I can’t imagine they won’t keep trying to find stuff to put out for a long rear end time to come. The next fantasy game is probably what like 2026/2027 or something? They were obviously making huge bank on DLC so sure I wouldn’t really be surprised by anything at this point. Like if you went back to 2016 and said hey the good guys in game three are Cathay and Kislev it’d sound like pure fantasy.

Yeah, I agree. They're almost assuredly planning to milk this particular cow for years. WH2 had a life cycle of 5 years, which is just DUMB, and they clearly understand that there's a market for this poo poo by now. I think/hope they're viewing IE as a sort of relaunch of the game, and assuming they stick the landing I suspect it'll erase a lot of the gripes once they iron it out a bit.

The fact that this game exists at all, let alone in this particular form, is absolutely loving insane to me. I remember daring CA to go for Cathay like 2 or 3 years ago, but I never thought they'd actually loving DO IT, and yet here we are.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 18, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
FFS, how did I just now realize that if I want high tier units I have to build their associated barracks in settlements that can actually reach that tier, and that only provincial capitals and the like can be upgraded past tier 3? I managed to bulldoze everything in Lustria south of Hexoatl as Skrolk before noticing I wasn't going to be able to build plague claw catapults the way I had set things up.

Learn something new every campaign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chemtrailologist posted:

Lokhir sounds like a great time. Especially if it looks like those rivers near him can be navigated like the ones through the empire. That's a lot of Black Ark coverage.
I'm excited to see how much of those rivers are navigable and look forward to 2023 when I can turn Cathay into a DE colony.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Given that they have said, over and over, that new races are something they aren't even looking at, why do you think they'll magic up 3+ new factions? I don't get it at all.

I feel like OP here was pretty explicit that this is his long-term hope. CA isn't looking at new races now, but who's to say what the plan is once we hit 2025 and beyond? Thinking that we'll see another race beyond Chaos Dwarfs seems reasonable, and thinking we'll see at third beyond that isn't a pipe dream in a world where Cathay exists.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Did they make Nurgle's start harder in this new patch?

I just restarted a legendary Nurgle campaign that I started a while back that wasn't going well at the end, and I am having a significantly harder time capturing the first province than usual. It seems like ogres are tougher and the dwarves are more aggressive, but maybe I'm doing something wrong now?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Covid is OVER, man

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grimgor or Settra

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm almost assuredly gonna go with Be'lakor, unless they make Archie REALLY cool. I want to try out WoC, and also Albion seems like it will be a really fun start for them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Eh reminder even with the streamers putting in work the first few months of IE are likely going to be really rough and i can forsee a few campaign restart level bugs cropping up. I'm likely going to wait a few days to see if mods like mixu's lord/hero pack gets released along with the recruit defeated LL's so if factions get wiped out due to weirdness at least they'll still be around.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just wanna have a good time with Skarbrand in the Thunderdome

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

S.J. posted:

I just wanna have a good time with Skarbrand in the Thunderdome

Is he in the Lustriadome? I finally get to test him vs Bwettonia

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The new thunderdome is in the Southlands.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
there's only one acceptable answer, and that's summon the elector counts

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

I feel like OP here was pretty explicit that this is his long-term hope. CA isn't looking at new races now, but who's to say what the plan is once we hit 2025 and beyond? Thinking that we'll see another race beyond Chaos Dwarfs seems reasonable, and thinking we'll see at third beyond that isn't a pipe dream in a world where Cathay exists.

I mean what do you put in "new races" because we know for sure there's a new race (as in, new to the game) coming with the Chaos Dwarfs. I also still think (though there's an element of hope as well) that Tilea/Southern Realms is pretty likely, coming alongside general mercenary/dogs of war mechanics* that will be available for all races, with the Tileans being a race that builds their armies almost exclusively from those mercenaries.

*It needs to be restated I think, because I feel like there's alot of confusion over it, but Dogs of War is not a "faction of wandering mercenaries". The army book (from 4th/5th edition) included lots of mercenary units (the regiments of renown) that could be fielded in most any army, but buildign an actual Dogs of War army is building a Tilean army, because those are, echoing 15-16th century Italy (and taking it to a fantasy extreme), overwhelmingly composed of mercenaries from all manner of races and nation that come there to sell their services.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RoyalScion posted:

I just want to start next to something that isn't 20 loving chaos factions

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RoyalScion posted:

This is exactly what I am going to do first because I am very basic

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alctel posted:

This is exactly what I am going to do first because I am very basic

The Empire is not basic. I am however likely going to wait a little bit to play Franz.

e: If the Champions DLC and Warriors rework drops with IE. That's probably gonna be my first run.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 18, 2022

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run?

Given that I'm probably preordering their new DLC the second they announce it, either the Nurgle guy or the Tzeentch guy.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

RoyalScion posted:

It's Franz or HE for me, maybe a bret in distant third. Been playing mostly co-op campaigns lately so it'll depend on what other people are playing. I want to start far enough away that we don't jam each other up, but not so far away that we can never interact/reinforce each other.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryL3al6pk4A

Teclis' voice actor updated his imdb page to state that he's voicing Prince Aravel in TWW3. Could be a new legendary lord for HElves? Something similar happened with Deathmaster Snikch in Mortal Empires.

Speculation is that he might go to the Eastern Colonies, which makes some sense. On the other hand, the Sea of Dread would have 3 HE LLs around it, which is a bit crowded imho.

orangelex44 posted:

I've narrowed it down to either Imrik crushing some Nurglings and then starting the great invasion of Cathay through the Ogre kingdoms, or the Sisters of Twilight playing world police. It depends on bit on whether Naestra and Arahan suffer from WH3's development apparently diverging from WH2 before their DLC was released or not.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder where the new Chaos Champion LLs are gonna end up and if their bios are hints maybe? Seems Vilitch is some kind of tribal from the steppes, so probably a Kurgan or something. So he might well end up on the Eastern Steppes north of Cathay's bastion, or possibly in the Wastes not far from Grimgor and Kholek.
Festus is originally a surgeon from Nordland, but also seems to have lived in the Altdorf sewers, so he seems likely to be either somewhere within or just bordering the Empire, though spawning him right by Franz might be too wild.
Valkia seems like she should be in Norsca someplace. I feel like maybe that interior province might be most appropriate, or even Daniel's old starting position. Though she also could start far afield from her origins, being a daemon prince.
Azazel is a daemon prince and is ancient, being originally of one of the pre-Empire tribes, so he has some connection to the Old World, and the Empire specifically, though being an ancient daemon prince, he seems like he could be just about anywhere if you wanted.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 18, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Unrelated: based off of what we know so far before the DLC drops, what's everyone going to do for their first IE run? I'm trying to figure out some starts that won't be affected too much by future lord additions, so that I don't feel obliged to backfill later.

World War Ghorst.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I tend to play old races with new enemies nearby and so I got a few choices to go through.

And if that fails I use the 4chan rng chart and see what I get.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm really divided on what to play first in IE. On one hand I have been a Vampire Counts fan for a while and they are looking to get a decent amount of new stuff, even just general buffs, that seem fun to play with. On the other hand Volkmar vs Ghorst is one of the DLCs I don't have and from the sounds of the multiplayer stuff I'm somewhat worried about how central the DLC cart will be as the backbone of the VC army, in particular in its role as a mount.

Also want to try Lokhir in Cathayland, and Grombrindal.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm really divided on what to play first in IE. On one hand I have been a Vampire Counts fan for a while and they are looking to get a decent amount of new stuff, even just general buffs, that seem fun to play with. On the other hand Volkmar vs Ghorst is one of the DLCs I don't have and from the sounds of the multiplayer stuff I'm somewhat worried about how central the DLC cart will be as the backbone of the VC army, in particular in its role as a mount.

Also want to try Lokhir in Cathayland, and Grombrindal.

I would say it's almost a guarantee that all the old DLC will go on sale when IE releases, so maybe you should complete your collection:)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I might, there really isn't anything else in the DLC I want though. I don't really play Empire so Volkmar's side of it would likely not see play. And as someone who played tabletop VCs during 6th edition exclusively, the inclusion of Ghorst as a LL over other vampires has felt like a personal insult since I picked the game up near the start of TWW2, so I probably won't play as him either.

E: Yes the above is an exaggerated joke, but also Ghorst is boring so I really will probably not play as him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I might, there really isn't anything else in the DLC I want though. I don't really play Empire so Volkmar's side of it would likely not see play. And as someone who played tabletop VCs during 6th edition exclusively, the inclusion of Ghorst as a LL over other vampires has felt like a personal insult since I picked the game up near the start of TWW2, so I probably won't play as him either.

E: Yes the above is an exaggerated joke, but also Ghorst is boring so I really will probably not play as him

Ghorst may be boring personally but his new start location looks like it might kick rear end. He is up there in my list potential first IE games for that reason.