Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Screaming Idiot posted:

Only when they're shot out of the sky. Before that they were flew beasts, and before that they were rose beasts, and before that they were stood or walked beasts.

This is a solid 9/10 post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:drat:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

YES

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

ive been saying for years that hubble is suck rear end garbage for idiots but no one believed me

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the other hand, the Hubble telescope images never gave a photo-sensitive epileptic seizure. 2 of the 4 images from the JWST have.
Something about the way the post process the images is just oversaturating my brain and knocking me the gently caress around for some 3-5 hours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hubble has been suckass since Perkin-Elmer hosed up the mirror grinding. The corrected optics were never as good as they could have been.

Besides which, the National Reconnaissance Office alone has dozens of scopes that are individually better than HST, and they have for decades.

HST is an enduring monument to the shoestring budget with which science is conducted.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

SerthVarnee posted:

On the other hand, the Hubble telescope images never gave a photo-sensitive epileptic seizure. 2 of the 4 images from the JWST have.
Something about the way the post process the images is just oversaturating my brain and knocking me the gently caress around for some 3-5 hours.

I had no idea that could happen with still images, so thanks for enlightening me. And I'm sorry that you don't get to enjoy the cool space shots.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh don't worry I'm not taking this lying down. Already reached out to the contact link on the JWST site and I can tell you right now that getting a mail back saying that they've logged my mail as INCIDENT - PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY and will be getting back to me as soon as they can is a goddamn trip.
I mean, loving NASA is mailing me back saying that they actually give a poo poo about this and want to communicate with me about it. Goddamn that makes the 4 hours of feeling mega hungover kinda worth it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh don't worry I'm not taking this lying down. Already reached out to the contact link on the JWST site and I can tell you right now that getting a mail back saying that they've logged my mail as INCIDENT - PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY and will be getting back to me as soon as they can is a goddamn trip.
I mean, loving NASA is mailing me back saying that they actually give a poo poo about this and want to communicate with me about it. Goddamn that makes the 4 hours of feeling mega hungover kinda worth it.

The DOJ just sends me emails saying they're not gonna investigate ADA compliance issues, having a govt org actually care? Wow. That's super cool.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SerthVarnee posted:

You’re just more sensitive than the rest of us. The next generation space telescope will show us the full eldritch horror of it and we will all be reduced to gibbering idiots. Iä Cthulhu fhtagn!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JWST, like HST before it, is a reflector.

We will never see space vampires. :smith:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SerthVarnee posted:

maybe you're able to perceive the terrible secret of space

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

dark matter is just millions of space vampires

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

Do they use silver? Modern mirrors usually use aluminum and if so should reflect them.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Wait, is that supposed to be the explanation for why vampires don't have reflections ? I guess it got lost by the time there were films showing vampires not reflecting in windows and puddles and whatnot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Do they use silver? Modern mirrors usually use aluminum and if so should reflect them.

Aluminum has imperfect reflectivity in the infrared range. JWST uses beryllium.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7DU70UTI3Q

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lady Disdain posted:

Wait, is that supposed to be the explanation for why vampires don't have reflections ? I guess it got lost by the time there were films showing vampires not reflecting in windows and puddles and whatnot.

All the things that work against vampires are things that can prevent disease irl. Silver, raw garlic, direct sunlight, running water, not letting strangers in your house, the power of Christ, etc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

All the things that work against vampires are things that can prevent disease irl. Silver, raw garlic, direct sunlight, running water, not letting strangers in your house, the power of Christ, etc

Stake through the heart,

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You are not catching a cold if you do that, that's for drat sure

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cardio-trepanation is a great way to balance the humors

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Jul 17, 2022

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Stake through the heart,

That's just to make sure they don't get back up again. But who's to say if exovampires are allergic to beryllium or not.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lady Disdain posted:

Silver is either has magic properties because it's noble or because Judas was paid in silver. It would make sense that vampires and Jesus have that in common.

Jesus hated money.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow I DO have something in common with jesus

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Old old mirrors weren’t even coated in silver. They were coated in lead or tin, sometimes via an amalgam of quicksilver, i.e. what we now recognize as the element mercury.

Silvering with actual silver took off in the nineteenth century.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Silver is either has magic properties because it's noble or because Judas was paid in silver. It would make sense that vampires and Jesus have that in common.

Wait, is that why Jesus came back after 3 days ? They failed to stake him through the heart ?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Lady Disdain posted:

Wait, is that why Jesus came back after 3 days ? They failed to stake him through the heart ?

He got knocked down, but he got up again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Bloop posted:

Stake through the heart,

and you're to blame

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dracula is a dumb name

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mister Speaker posted:

Dracula is a dumb name

Oh, my name is Dracula, and you know it's Dracula. It means dragon, dragon of God!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuwZ_WS_3bA

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The traditional (pre-Dracula) vampire stake has no mystical anti-vampire properties and does not prevent them from reanimating. It works by being a huge loving spike that physically anchors them to the ground and stops them from standing up.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Yes and according to my vampires class there are several other reasons why Jesus is a vampire

We had to memorize them for a test too

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Xun posted:

Yes and according to my vampires class there are several other reasons why Jesus is a vampire

We had to memorize them for a test too

Praise be to magic Woody Allen zombie superhero komodo dragon telepathic vampire quantum hovercraft Tim Minchin Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1jSWy4Eck

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dracula, being a little bitch, was killed by being stabbed with a Bowie knife.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm not taking the advice of some 13th-century dirt farmer about whether or not I can grease a dracula with an AR-15.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm not taking the advice of some 13th-century dirt farmer about whether or not I can grease a dracula with an AR-15.

They did that joke on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"No weapon forged can stop me"
*pulls out rocket launcher*
"Whats that do?"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I can't make out what's happening here. Help please.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Beachcomber posted:

I can't make out what's happening here. Help please.

A Buddhist monk is doing a "return to sender" with tear gas at some sort of protest that turned ugly

pik_d has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pik_d posted:

A Buddhist monk is doing a "return to sender" with tear gas at some sort of protest that turned ugly

Oooo-kay. There is one fewer person in the picture than I thought. There is not a separate gas mask person who the monk is half hug-tackling.