Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sweet Charity had some fun dances and songs, especially first hour, and a lot of the comedy is still funny. But I don’t feel like the last 15 minutes worked. It’s just so tonally different and more cruel tragedy vs the early humorous tragedy of charity getting pushed off the bridge during her song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yeah McMartin is maybe too good at making Oscar very charming and winning at first so that the slow turn at the party and courthouse is more emotionally devastating than the otherwise plucky tone of the film can bear.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kind of weird vibes in the latest episode, they always seem nervous when they have a big guest on. Zegler seems nice though

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Haven’t listened yet, but yeah usually very different with famous guests compared to other writer/podcast friends.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zegler was on the george lucas talk show right before she got extremely famous, she's a good guest

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah they let Kevin Smith ramble too long out of deference when they had him on 😅 i remember him telling some kinda stupid narcissistic story

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Smith’s stories I thought were really nice Bc they were about the producer of A Simple Plan. He had a really close relationship with him before he passed so it was great context and history related to the film.
Honestly one of the most tolerable Smith appearances in recent memory lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I remember it being about the producer yeah, but by the end of the funeral story it all felt pointless.
Im sure it's one of his more tolerable appearances tho

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I didn’t mind the fact that he told the stories but he commandeered the show to tell them a bit too often and they went on way too long, he’s kind of a poo poo story teller

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seems normal for the show though. Griff often goes on these long tangents with extraneous details. Smith was alright for me at least, I liked hearing about this producer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

checkplease posted:

Seems normal for the show though. Griff often goes on these long tangents with extraneous details. Smith was alright for me at least, I liked hearing about this producer.

lol yeah the entirety of blank check is people interrupting each others' long tangents

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

having to smile and nod while pretending yet another disney live action remake is actually really cool and worthy of admiration

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I’m currently in Brand New Relationship mode and good god, the last 25 minutes of Sweet Charity did me so dirty, I never wanted a lame happy ending more in my life. If I ever see Oscar on the street I’m going to punch him in the balls until he dies. :argh:

Great movie tho.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the polygon guests are turning me off aggressively but ima push through the Ghosts of Mars episode cuz that is just such a fun stupid film of my childhood

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

they announce next week's guest at the end of this episode and boy if it doesn't make it an insta-skip, even for all that jazz

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

R. Guyovich posted:

they announce next week's guest at the end of this episode and boy if it doesn't make it an insta-skip, even for all that jazz
Whoa who is it (I'm many episodes behind)? How can an episode on one of the best movies they've covered be an insta-skip for anyone?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

R. Guyovich posted:

Lin Manuel Miranda will be a perfectly fine guest you loving weirdo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Whoa who is it (I'm many episodes behind)? How can an episode on one of the best movies they've covered be an insta-skip for anyone?

Lin Manuel

Won’t hesitate to turn it off but can also see it being good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lin is a moron

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Disliking Lin Manuel Miranda does not, in fact, make you a weirdo. Pretty corny guy. Might be less obnoxious than Kevin Smith though...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

Lin Manuel

Won’t hesitate to turn it off but can also see it being good
lol that guy does suck. I don't think a person who sucks is necessarily a bad podcast guest but we'll see, I guess!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

howe_sam posted:

Lin Manuel Miranda will be a perfectly fine guest you loving weirdo.

lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m no LMM fan but seeing as how he played Roy Scheider in Fosse/Verdon he makes a lot of sense.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lin is probably the biggest guest for the pod, so good for them.

Also as he’s written/composed multiple musicals, he should have lots of in-depth first hand knowledge of the process.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
For movie discussion, Cabaret was really good and the first time I think I’ve seen Liza Minelli act outside of arrested development. So yeah she kills all the songs and I can see why she’s a big name. I’ll have to watch the stage show someday.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've been watching Bob Fosse flicks and I'm totally in awe at young Eric Roberts with a mustache.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
He looks like Joel Kinnaman

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I bet Lin's a good guest, it's not like he's going to be making up cheesy political raps for the pod or anything. He's surely a connoisseur of context when it comes to musicals. He's got hyper-concentrated theater kid energy but I don't think he's gonna be telling stories about summer camp with Griff either, so it's probably a wash.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Lin-Manuel Miranda used to be an occasional guest of the McElroy brothers and I'm 99% sure he would absolutely make up insane songs in the middle of a podcast

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 20, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'd rather listen to Miranda talk about movies than another episode with, say, Chris Gethard or Kevin Smith

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

YggiDee posted:

Lin-Manuel Miranda used to be an occasional guest of the McElroy brothers and I'm 99% sure he would absolutely make up insane songs in the middle of a podcast

Didn't he do literally that on CBB once

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

YggiDee posted:

Lin-Manuel Miranda used to be an occasional guest of the McElroy brothers
When i go to hell it's just gonna be 10,000 hours of this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lin made me wish that Travis would've spoken more

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Haven't listened to this in ages, has Griffin done his humble brag about being an old friend of Ezra Miller recently?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Incidentally I really wish Griffin McElroy was freed from captivity in the McElroy mines and permanently added to the show. Blank Check with Griffin, David, and Griffin was a lot of fun. David gets to be in a Griffin sandwich & I think they actually played well off each other.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'd rather listen to Miranda talk about movies than another episode with, say, Chris Gethard or Kevin Smith

High praise indeed.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been watching Bob Fosse flicks and I'm totally in awe at young Eric Roberts with a mustache.

He looks like Howard Moon trying to look goth.

Gargamel Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 21, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

BigglesSWE posted:

Haven't listened to this in ages, has Griffin done his humble brag about being an old friend of Ezra Miller recently?

This is a weird post! Of course he hasn’t, because Ezra is a lovely person and Griffin isn’t responsible for their actions?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BigglesSWE posted:

no lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

BigglesSWE posted:

this is weird. you're weird