Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeaaaah, like this is an official partnership with Paramount(I think Nick and Avatar studios stuff is Paramount anyway)

Backroom contract cancellation stuff already happened so just sever as Neutral and non offensive as possible and move on, in a way that Lawyers do not need to ever get involved with again.

Ify is dope tho(it's very funny they say he's from CR, but sure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Megazver posted:

What this merger doesn't do, unfortunately, is bring in any good webtech building expertise to either of the platforms, lol.

:drat:

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dexo posted:

That makes some sense, Roll20 probably realizes it's going to get squeezed hard when WotC releases 6/5.5e or whatever in '24, on D&D Beyond(which they just bought), which judging by surveys is probably going to be adding a VTT component that it currently doesn't have.

Mixed with DTRPG also probably realizing the same thing, as it'd be a pretty safe bet that Wizards is going to try to bring the DM's Guild marketplace that they teamed up with OneBookshelf for completely inhouse, on D&D Beyond.

It gives Roll20 a massive amount of DTRPG content that already exists, and also for them hopefully gets people who frequent DTRPG/DMsguild to buy PDF's to maybe move to Roll20 if they aren't already using it for online VTT play.

Who needs a functioning mobile site in 2022.

I mean honestly.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i mean they're not super obligated to comment on the satine phoenix stuff because they get to pretend nobody knew poo poo about her being a bad actor prior to twenty minutes ago when this started, so on the one hand from an external lens this is fine, they've done what they needed to do.

on the other hand, i'm still loving salty about some of the poo poo i got the last time they had a known bad actor working with them on a kickstarter so i honestly wouldn't be satisfied with anything else than throwing her under the bus. On the personal level.

anyway, i dont really watch APs but ive seen Ify in other stuff and hes incredibly funny so that owns

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Dexo posted:

Ify is dope tho(it's very funny they say he's from CR, but sure)

Honestly having Ify instead of Satine is an upgrade

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Extremely Ify owns

I watch too many APs probably and he's great in all of them.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Ify also comes for blood on quiz shows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Megazver posted:

What this merger doesn't do, unfortunately, is bring in any good webtech building expertise to either of the platforms, lol.

It's insane that roll20 is, for all its warts, still probably the best virtual tabletop solution.

(If you aren't willing to spend dozens of manhours creating your own personal boutique set of Forge plugins, I guess).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's insane that roll20 is, for all its warts, still probably the best virtual tabletop solution.

(If you aren't willing to spend dozens of manhours creating your own personal boutique set of Forge plugins, I guess).

Yeah, it doesn't feel like it has materially improved since I ran my first game on it in I wanna say 2016.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Huh, It takes literally zero hours to get more out of the box functionality than Roll20 offers in Foundry.

If you want to spend hours finding a perfect set of modules then you can, but yeah once I got Foundry I never looked back.

Like I run pathdinder2e with just the system, Drag Ruler and Dice Tray/Dice so Nice and it's far better and easier to use than the Roll20 sheet. Ditto with Lancer.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, it doesn't feel like it has materially improved since I ran my first game on it in I wanna say 2016.

Roll20 has been pushing out updates recently, but yeah it stagnated hard until like other companies started building VTTs and they were forced to start investing in their product again.

And still you have to pay a yearly sub to get stuff that other VTTs have included.

If you are just dicking around and doing a one shot or something then yeah free Roll20 will be fine, but yeah the moment you think about paying for any of their sub perks you'd be better off imo going to Foundry or any other one time purchase VTT.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 18, 2022

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you cant drag images off a web page into forge and then resize them at will

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The problem with Foundry is setting up hosting. You know not to open web ports on a desktop to the public internet, right? So you probably need a VPN set up as well.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It takes a little tech know-how but it's pretty easy and cheap to setup a cloud server these days. I'm sure there are loads of guides on doing it specifically for Foundry.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

admanb posted:

It takes a little tech know-how but it's pretty easy and cheap to setup a cloud server these days. I'm sure there are loads of guides on doing it specifically for Foundry.

They have guides for self-hosting on your machine, in the cloud on your own, or you can pay someone to host for you so you don't have to do all the server configuration.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would be very curious what your definition of "best" is.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I run Foundry inside a Docker container on my home server. Works pretty well, imo!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I mean, it’s also possible that it’s just because Roll20 has a free option.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Foundry is really, really easy to use and doesn't require dozens of modules. It is so far ahead of both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds, it's not even close. And you can play so many more games on it, and not pay a subscription.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hyphz posted:

The problem with Foundry is setting up hosting. You know not to open web ports on a desktop to the public internet, right? So you probably need a VPN set up as well.

Academically you are correct but like, Windows Firewall on it's default settings is a good enough software firewall.

And then it's a matter of someone finding the open port and then knowing specifically the application that is listening on that specific port, and then finding an exploit, if there is one, in that application that would allow someone access through the firewall, specifically while the server and game is up and running.

So like sure it's possible, but is not something I particularly worry about.

hyphz posted:

I mean, it’s also possible that it’s just because Roll20 has a free option.

Yeah Roll20's free option is great, I recommend using it if you are cool and happy with the feature set they offer for free. But like, if you want any scripting or advanced feature set. It seems better to just pay once for Foundry.

Farg posted:

you cant drag images off a web page into forge and then resize them at will

There's a Module that adds that functionality, if you want it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 18, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I just use owlbear rodeo because getting people to use the other automation features in the more sophisticated VTTs is difficult, especially if it's a system like GURPS.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

alg posted:

Foundry is really, really easy to use and doesn't require dozens of modules. It is so far ahead of both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds, it's not even close. And you can play so many more games on it, and not pay a subscription.

I mean, I like Foundry, but this is a straight up lie, Roll20 has support for many more games than Foundry does, it's why I still use both.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tsilkani posted:

I mean, I like Foundry, but this is a straight up lie, Roll20 has support for many more games than Foundry does, it's why I still use both.

Scroll these two pages and tell me which has more.

https://wiki.roll20.net/Category:Games

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/systems

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That wiki barely has 10% of the available character sheets on Roll20 on it. I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

nah I'm not being deliberately anything, I figured their official wiki was up to date...I do recall them having 5 or 6 character sheets for each system though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That Wiki is not reflective of what sheets Roll20 actually has. Since the actual list is just a drop-down menu when you pick a sheet for a game, it's a little hard to provide a proper list, but this does a better job than that wiki:

https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets

Either way, I personally use both on a system by system basis. Foundry is a no-brainer for PF2, for instance, but in my opinion either of the Roll20 CoC sheets is better than the Foundry's CoC implementation last time I tested it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Panzeh posted:

I just use owlbear rodeo because getting people to use the other automation features in the more sophisticated VTTs is difficult, especially if it's a system like GURPS.

I can barely get players to read their own spell descriptions, much less fix a typo in their character sheets attack effects script.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Dexo posted:

Yeah Roll20's free option is great, I recommend using it if you are cool and happy with the feature set they offer for free. But like, if you want any scripting or advanced feature set. It seems better to just pay once for Foundry.

I think that's pretty much where I fall on the roll20/foundry side of things. Roll20 is great if you want to pay nothing for a commonly supported system (5e), but if you want to get into something more niche or do any amount of customization you'll want to pick up Foundry.

Having knowledge of javascript/html/css is also nice if you want to make custom character sheets as well (or just take an existing character sheet and tailor it to your own needs).

piL posted:

I can barely get players to read their own spell descriptions, much less fix a typo in their character sheets attack effects script.

I think this is what convinced me to get Foundry in the first place. There is absolutely zero buy-in for players (they don't even need to make an account). Which means I don't need to walk five/six people through a troubleshooting process.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Megazver posted:

That Wiki is not reflective of what sheets Roll20 actually has. Since the actual list is just a drop-down menu when you pick a sheet for a game, it's a little hard to provide a proper list, but this does a better job than that wiki:

https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets

Either way, I personally use both on a system by system basis. Foundry is a no-brainer for PF2, for instance, but in my opinion either of the Roll20 CoC sheets is better than the Foundry's CoC implementation last time I tested it.

Yep you're right.

I do feel the same way about several systems... just in the opposite direction. FFG Star Wars can import from OggDudes and make your character sheet and compendiums totally fully featured, rather than just a sheet that you can click rolls on. DCC supports spell automation so you can roll spell results right in the chat window, rather than open your book to find the result.

And of course, not dealing with the ancient UI or paying a monthly subscription to have their dogshit performance is nice too. I say all this as someone who subscribed to Roll20 for 5+ years.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I use the browser addon that lets you host all maps and tokens on Imgur and stick to the Free tier of Roll20.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

alg posted:

DCC supports spell automation so you can roll spell results right in the chat window, rather than open your book to find the result.

... okay you have my attention now.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I don't use DCC, but with 13th Age, my Chaos Mage player just clicks "cast spell on all these targets", and it rolls for each of them, rolls on the weird subchart for that spell, puts the result into the chat window, and if it's a spell that targets 1d3 opponents and he rolled a 2, it'll only roll against the first two-of-three.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
All of this reminds me of an idea I had rolling in my head off and on for a decade or so--ive wondered how long it will be until a tabletop system emerges that is principle designed for online play, vice emulating an actual tabletop.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

piL posted:

All of this reminds me of an idea I had rolling in my head off and on for a decade or so--ive wondered how long it will be until a tabletop system emerges that is principle designed for online play, vice emulating an actual tabletop.

Roll 20 already tried with Burn Bryte, but from what I've heard of it (they killed it on release by making people buy it) "designed of online play" amounted to "oh yeah the rules are only available as handouts inside Roll20".

There probably will be something like that eventually, though. I see it as an integrated solution for a D&D-like game that, in a few clicks, will automatically generate a location and a battlemap for it, populate it with monsters and NPCs, generate unique tokens for them with a character creator editor, etc, all inside a VTT.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 18, 2022

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Megazver posted:

they killed it on release by making people buy it

Do you mean making customers pay money for what was clearly a proof-of-concept, or was there some sort of mandatory purchase with your subscription thing?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Loxbourne posted:

Do you mean making customers pay money for what was clearly a proof-of-concept, or was there some sort of mandatory purchase with your subscription thing?

The former.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

https://www.burnbryte.com/

It cost $30-$50 bucks to buy it in Roll20 Compendium form, basically. And no one bothered.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Megazver posted:

https://www.burnbryte.com/

It cost $30-$50 bucks to buy it in Roll20 Compendium form, basically. And no one bothered.

Goddamn, that's just a Roll20 feature list with NOTHING about what the game is actually about. No wonder no one bought it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CitizenKeen posted:

I would be very curious what your definition of "best" is.

"Free" figures in pretty heavily, admittedly, and the only thing that would trump free is "full rules automation" which basically doesn't exist.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Free" figures in pretty heavily, admittedly, and the only thing that would trump free is "full rules automation" which basically doesn't exist.

"Easily accessible by players" is also high up in there. No one I run games for is going to install a client to play a game, let alone connect to a self-hosted server.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

"Easily accessible by players" is also high up in there. No one I run games for is going to install a client to play a game, let alone connect to a self-hosted server.

For Foundry at least, connecting to a self-hosted server involves clicking a URL link that the GM posts in the game's Discord, which opens the game in the browser, just like Roll20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I tried connecting to a foundry session on my gaming laptop and it made my card chug harder than FFXIV and I still couldn't see anything on the map. It's possible the GM was doing something wrong since he was intending to show me, a non-campaign-player, some cool poo poo he'd set up on the map.