Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I caught up a bit this morning on Alex Jones/Sandy Hook trial shenanigans.

For a timeline/background:
Jones gets sued by Sandy Hook families in both Connecticut and in Texas. In both cases, Jones has done everything possible to act in bad faith and delay things.

Both cases awarded death penalty sanctions against Jones, granting full defaults on liability. The only remaining issue is damages.

I can't speak to the Connecticut case, but the Texas case was defaulted, in large part, because Jones refused to actually provide anyone at deposition who could answer any questions. Three of five depositions, Jones sent the same guy who knows nothing and could not answer any questions. After each deposition, Jones was ordered to pay for the plaintiffs' attorneys' fees because of his tactics. In one of the other depositions, they sent a different completely unprepared person who could not answer any questions, and in the other they sent their high school grad bookkeeper. Immediately after the deposition, Jones said that the bookkeeper's testimony was unreliable because she is not a CPA and is only a high school grad that punches things into quickbooks for Jones.

Because of these repeat discovery sanctions the judge sanctioned Jones $1m.

On the eve of trial in April in the Texas case, Jones filed for bankruptcy using three shell companies that had no assets. The Texas plaintiffs' dropped the bankrupt entities from the suit, but nevertheless the trial was canceled and the cases dragged into bankruptcy court. Ultimately, Jones stipulated to letting the Sandy Hook plaintiffs out of the bankruptcy (because it would have been worse/more sanctionable otherwise) and withdrew the bankruptcy petition.

Following the return to Texas, Jones sought to modify the $1m in discovery sanctions saying that they only apply to Free Speech Systems, LLC and not him personally, because he is a natural person and cannot have a corporate rep. They also submitted an affidavit of the same person they called an uneducated bookkeeper before with the new title of FSS Comptroller to say that FSS doesn't have the money to pay the $1m and keep operating.

During the hearing on this motion, Jones' lawyer admitted that Jones had more than enough money to pay the sanction, and the judge told him to pay the sanction, then. He appealed this order and was swiftly denied. Jury selection for the damages trial is set to begin on the 25th with the trial starting on July 26.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I caught up a bit this morning on Alex Jones/Sandy Hook trial shenanigans.

For a timeline/background:
Jones gets sued by Sandy Hook families in both Connecticut and in Texas. In both cases, Jones has done everything possible to act in bad faith and delay things.

Both cases awarded death penalty sanctions against Jones, granting full defaults on liability. The only remaining issue is damages.

I can't speak to the Connecticut case, but the Texas case was defaulted, in large part, because Jones refused to actually provide anyone at deposition who could answer any questions. Three of five depositions, Jones sent the same guy who knows nothing and could not answer any questions. After each deposition, Jones was ordered to pay for the plaintiffs' attorneys' fees because of his tactics. In one of the other depositions, they sent a different completely unprepared person who could not answer any questions, and in the other they sent their high school grad bookkeeper. Immediately after the deposition, Jones said that the bookkeeper's testimony was unreliable because she is not a CPA and is only a high school grad that punches things into quickbooks for Jones.

Because of these repeat discovery sanctions the judge sanctioned Jones $1m.

On the eve of trial in April in the Texas case, Jones filed for bankruptcy using three shell companies that had no assets. The Texas plaintiffs' dropped the bankrupt entities from the suit, but nevertheless the trial was canceled and the cases dragged into bankruptcy court. Ultimately, Jones stipulated to letting the Sandy Hook plaintiffs out of the bankruptcy (because it would have been worse/more sanctionable otherwise) and withdrew the bankruptcy petition.

Following the return to Texas, Jones sought to modify the $1m in discovery sanctions saying that they only apply to Free Speech Systems, LLC and not him personally, because he is a natural person and cannot have a corporate rep. They also submitted an affidavit of the same person they called an uneducated bookkeeper before with the new title of FSS Comptroller to say that FSS doesn't have the money to pay the $1m and keep operating.

During the hearing on this motion, Jones' lawyer admitted that Jones had more than enough money to pay the sanction, and the judge told him to pay the sanction, then. He appealed this order and was swiftly denied. Jury selection for the damages trial is set to begin on the 25th with the trial starting on July 26.

This is some good poo poo right here.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
there's a nice, warm seat in hell right next to Rush Limbaugh with Jones' name on it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is also a much more recently filed companion suit to the Texas defamation suit. They’ve tracked down a bunch of Jones’ transfers of money out of his LLCs and into various trusts for his parents, kids, and himself in an attempt to thwart the impending collection action against him after juries award the families $Texas in compensatory and punitive damages.

With luck, the court will be able to unwind those transfers and get the money to the victims of his more than a decade of abuse.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the most recent Behind The Bastards about Jones that was mostly deposition and trial clips was amazing, he's so incapable of turning it off that at one point he started pitching the judge on his supplement line in open court.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

facialimpediment posted:

very weird for something as wholesome as that to come out of tiktok

It's the 2020s. K-pop teens sabotage Trump rallies and furries bash the fash.

Chaotic good is for real.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Everyone who wants to hear Jones turbo gently caress himself in court while doing completely insane poo poo owes it to themselves to listen to Knowledge Fight deposition episodes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990450&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

That thread curates them in the OP I believe. Jones is a deeply sick individual and if he wasn't hurting so many others with his troubles he would be pitiable. Instead, gently caress him I want him to die cold, alone, and bankrupt.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1549037049243508736?t=an9lhKdKf5muqw9LrDaiqQ&s=19

I... don't really know how exactly you fix that problem

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soak the tarmac. Use evaporative cooling.

It takes a crap load of water and you have to keep applying it. If you don't have the water supply and the trucks/sprayers for it it's basically impossible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Send a crew with a saw to cut more expansion joints so it doesn't buckle up next time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Turn the AC on.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Reset the clock.

https://apnews.com/article/greenwood-indiana-mall-shooting-updates-01ae7fb09e48aebf0058a90907c0c26d

Mall shooting in Indiana

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Melting my heart is more like it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A.o.D. posted:

Soak the tarmac. Use evaporative cooling.

It takes a crap load of water and you have to keep applying it. If you don't have the water supply and the trucks/sprayers for it it's basically impossible.

Submerge terf island

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've actually looked at the numbers, and I can tell you that Musk is an idiot. I trust Twitter's mdau numbers short of actual fraud on their end.

In statistics, there's a formula you can use to determine a sample size needed to meet desired statistical constraints. Twitter has about 229m users per quarter after all of the bots/spam accounts detected by the automated system have been removed. If I want to build a statistical test with a 99% confidence level, 1% margin of error, and start with the default assumption that 10% of the population is a bot, I'll need a sample size of 5991. With my randomly sampled 6k accounts, the proportion of those that are bots will be with 1% of the true population. If I want 99.9% confidence, the sample size increases to 9742.

Twitter samples 9k per quarter of 229m active users that get past the automated systems. Of that, they find that fewer than 5% are bots. Assuming their sample is random and the human classifiers are correct all of the time, the methods are statistically sound and the numbers are trustworthy.

Brain genius Musk thinks that he could build a better sample by exporting his follower list, skipping the first 1000, and reviewing each 10th account after that. Musk does not understand enter level college statistics.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If Musk isn't as smart as he actually is, as you posit, then how would he have been revolutionizing multiple industries, to include the perception that stalking and harassing a woman until they go out with you is not acceptable, as his first divorce shows us is the case. Furthermore, by building single child submergible floatationary device and ketamine administration vessels

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Killer was shot and killed by a bystander with a concealed weapon.

Expect this to not get much attention in the news past a day.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, there will be another one tomorrow I'm sure.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Police were shooting the crowd in Denver

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/police-id-suspect-shot-by-officers-during-downtown-denver-disturbance

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

I hope the PD is civil sued like crazy but this is probably totally legal for cops to do and we're just going to get more of it going forward

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

maffew buildings posted:

I hope the PD is civil sued like crazy but this is probably totally legal for cops to do and we're just going to get more of it going forward

do you see a law saying specifically that cops _aren't_ allowed to shoot randomly into crowds? qualified immunity!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

.....Am I to understand they made an Air Force runway using asphalt

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know we have a lot of shitheads in Pennsylvania, but I do like my state.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh wow, we are way too industry adjacent

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

.....Am I to understand they made an Air Force runway using asphalt

Yes you are.

loving stupid as hell, but it's easier to smooth out and repair asphalt than concrete.

They should be able to run rollers over it like, literally right now to smooth it back out. Once the high has been hit for the day, send out the steamrollers so it's smooth when it cools down again at night.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh wow, we are way too industry adjacent

Haha just getting a new photo card taken care of. :)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yes you are.

loving stupid as hell, but it's easier to smooth out and repair asphalt than concrete.

They should be able to run rollers over it like, literally right now to smooth it back out. Once the high has been hit for the day, send out the steamrollers so it's smooth when it cools down again at night.

So basically it's a non-story. "We wanted to save some money, so we used a flexible pavement and spent a few grand on a vibratory roller instead. We figured wed just have to roll her out every few years"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I always like how Fetterman's photo just screams I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SHIRT, THIS IS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS STATE WHERE IS MY loving HOODIE energy

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Conversely:

https://twitter.com/giselefetterman/status/1549108257238687745?s=21&t=Zh4UI-qVUp3f2MtLRl2XWA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So basically it's a non-story. "We wanted to save some money, so we used a flexible pavement and spent a few grand on a vibratory roller instead. We figured wed just have to roll her out every few years"

That's kind of how I feel about it. They'll have to prep a batch to fill deeper tracks and roll over it, but mostly it's an economic story in the sense that "oh no planes can't land how on earth will the airport make up revenue" because of the heat wave.

The heat wave is the real story, the runways melting are just ancillary.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's kind of how I feel about it. They'll have to prep a batch to fill deeper tracks and roll over it, but mostly it's an economic story in the sense that "oh no planes can't land how on earth will the airport make up revenue" because of the heat wave.

The heat wave is the real story, the runways melting are just ancillary.

It's a military base, you would assume readiness outweighs cost cutting.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's a military base, you would assume readiness outweighs cost cutting.

Ahahaha, have you ever been to Britain.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

Musk does not understand enter level college statistics.

musk does not understand anything, much less how absolutely hosed he is right now.

well, maybe he's starting to understand that one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tweetermeyer/status/1549105274287403008?s=21&t=HXnOu7wjQ-yj1YQmqzAfoA

That is the pastiest person I've ever seen.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

One of the main reasons why police forces are so well equipped is so that there is a ready at hand force that is loyal to their paymasters that can be used to shoot at crowds of unruly citizens.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A.o.D. posted:

One of the main reasons why police forces are so well equipped is so that there is a ready at hand force that is loyal to their paymasters that can be used to shoot at crowds of unruly citizens.

It's just about the only thing you can bet on them gleefully doing

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Only now do I finally realize who he has reminded me for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQEG9IZpc8

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe we shouldn't have tolerated a police culture of demeaning "civilians".

Hm. Oh well

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Oh hey I didn't know Musk was a relative of Ted Cruz.

The family resemblance is striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I loving hate Central PA and want to move back to NH or Maine soon now. Apparently a customer at my husbands work filed an official complaint because he had a satanic temple sticker on his car. And complained that he wasn't a straight Christian man.
Which makes me want to arm up and wait for one of these fudds to follow him home someday, but I'm probably being paranoid. Not really a current event, sorry.