Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

No crises' between the fall of the Roman Empire and the start of the Renaissance? Clearly the answer is a return to serfdom.

Edit: Nevermind billionaires are already working on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Only one financial crisis prior to 1000 AD, clearly they had the right idea back then. E: Oop same original joke

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is this game still coming out this year? Some googling says 2022 but we’re already on the second half of it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

buglord posted:

Is this game still coming out this year? Some googling says 2022 but we’re already on the second half of it.

that was recently announced, so "probably", but I definitely think it's likelier to be "maybe"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Started thinking of a tech tree for the 2100AD collapse mod I mentioned before

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/19mFEiccy0Ae_YF_AwwEhPFtUHvQZiHo-clvEn7Icgzo/edit

If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Before more formalized banking systems like these, currency was also never not trying to poof out of use whenever a minor crisis rocked things. Bartering for everything is the only true economic system.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Koramei posted:

Before more formalized banking systems like these, currency was also never not trying to poof out of use whenever a minor crisis rocked things. Bartering for everything is the only true economic system.

Bartering is basically a constant state of liquidity crisis

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

now credit based temple complexes, now those puppies can fit a whole bunch of liquidity in them

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

Might want to read Debt: The First 5000 Years. Credit and trust is the only true economic system.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In the end it's all based on hope and faith (no matter how ill-placed) anyway, whether it's currencies or credits.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Hellioning posted:

I mean Vicky 2's economy will literally always collapse if the game goes on too long so I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened in V3.

Wow, I had no idea V2 was such an accurate sim

https://i.imgur.com/BtgZ6Ce.mp4

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Wow, I had no idea V2 was such an accurate sim

i'm not sure marx predicted that eventually a small class of chinese artisans would hold the entire world's money supply and cause the entire rest of the world to starve for lack of a medium of exchange but yes in the broad strokes it's surprisingly good for being so bad

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 15, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Jazerus posted:

i'm not sure marx predicted that eventually a small class of chinese artisans would hold the entire world's money supply and cause the entire rest of the world to starve for lack of a medium of exchange but yes in the broad strokes it's surprisingly good for being so bad

Marx never good understand human nature, and by human nature I mean the tendency of Nepal to own all currency in existence while attempting endlessly to enact and then repeal prohibition.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Asia was never his forte

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Asiatic mode of clipper production

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

fez_machine posted:

Might want to read Debt: The First 5000 Years. Credit and trust is the only true economic system.

Was about to mention Graeber, thank you. Barter only really happens after a currency-based market economy collapses like when the Roman Empire receded, and only for a little while.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

We all remember the liquidity crisis caused by gold miners richer than god completely fufilling all their needs and storing 10% of the worlds currency under their mattresses

vvv no one to blame but themselves for not adapting to live off automobiles and opium

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 15, 2022

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

We all remember the liquidity crisis caused by gold miners richer than god completely fufilling all their needs and storing 10% of the worlds currency under their mattresses

Well, we would remember it if they didn't all starve to death because they were too far down in the grain purchase order.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

vvv no one to blame but themselves for not adapting to live off automobiles and opium

So that's why they call it the Gilded Age.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I'm gonna break the economy in V3 by somehow reverting so much of the world back to subsistence farming that every single manufacturing industry goes out of business because there is no longer anybody who can afford their products.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Takanago posted:

I'm gonna break the economy in V3 by somehow reverting so much of the world back to subsistence farming that every single manufacturing industry goes out of business because there is no longer anybody who can afford their products.

:hmmyes: Bring on planet wide agrarianism

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Takanago posted:

Arrath posted:

:hmmyes: Bring on planet wide agrarianism

Victoria 3 confirmed to follow not just a Marxist labor theory of value but also Maoism Third Worldism

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

anarcho-liberals replaced by JDPON :getin:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Takanago posted:

Ah, a Jeffersonian.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Dictatorship of the Yeomanry five seconds after abolishing the city and creating Year Zero: poo poo, now what do I do with all this surplus produce?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Vic3 is going to be the most CSPAM loving game ever and it's gonna be great. I am so hype for it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also is anarchy/anarcho communism a valid “government” type in V3 or would that not work for glaring reasons

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

buglord posted:

Also is anarchy/anarcho communism a valid “government” type in V3 or would that not work for glaring reasons

I forget the details but I believe Anarchy is an option for the laws which determine political power is distributed/how democratic your country is. Where complete authoritarianism is on one end, landed/wealth/universal voting is in the middle, and anarchy is on the extreme democratic end. This is separate from the set of laws which allows you to declare a Council Republic (i.e. Soviet Republic). So this means you can have an authoritarian communist state with a strong govt to oppress the bourgeois or an anarchic state with very little/no oppressive authority.

Having a Command Economy also allows you to collectivize your industries in two different ways. You can either turn them into govt run industries where bureaucrats are in charge, or you can turn them into co-ops where the workers get the dividends from the industry's profits instead of their bosses.\

e: I suppose you could also combine anarchism with a lasseiz faire economy and just Go Galt if you want but I dont know if that would work out long term

Takanago fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 15, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Takanago posted:

e: I suppose you could also combine anarchism with a lasseiz faire economy and just Go Galt if you want but I dont know if that would work out long term

Curiously, it ends up handing political and economic power to Bear pops. That's actually how you spawn Jan Mayen in Vicky 3.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

Yes, in V3 an anarchist country is themed as a confederation of self-governing communes with a central council of sorts that has no real formal power. So it's not full balls to the walls anarchism and still kinda-works with the game's mechanics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FishBulbia posted:

Marx never good understand human nature, and by human nature I mean the tendency of Nepal to own all currency in existence while attempting endlessly to enact and then repeal prohibition.

Ugh, it's Bengal that corners the entire world's money supply, learn some history.
https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/njz0wc/victoria_2_3_and_lategame_liquidity_crises/

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
jesus, can we please change the title of this thread to "factroys" (I cant remember the actual typo, and googling it is surprisingly difficult)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mirello posted:

jesus, can we please change the title of this thread to "factroys" (I cant remember the actual typo, and googling it is surprisingly difficult)

capitalists builds a factroy

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can capitalists build feelings?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VostokProgram posted:

If corporations are people than so can factories

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

not until we get the service industry dlc

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gort posted:

capitalists builds a factroy

captialists iirc too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Love the idea of my countries' top generals and admirals seated around a big oaken table, smoking and muttering in the dimly-lit gloom, grimly informing the President that the Smith Brothers have opened a glass factory in Pasedena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I never played v1 but in v2 each state only has 8 building slots so capitalists building a bad factory in a specific state really could be a national emergency.