Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

I sort of understand your point but I'm not sure how you can make a logical argument for banning one part while condoning the rest. Animals are injured in more than just the chuckwagon races, this is only the most visible or spectacular. A poster further up argued that steer wrestling is probably ok but animals get their necks broken in that event. You can minimize accidents but not avoid them. The rodeo is one degree of separation away from bullfighting. Then you look at the broader industry, how many animals are euthanized or shipped off to Japan live export for food. It's an incredible amount of suffering for entertainment.

As for halal, unfortunately the regulations are pretty lax. Generally it means the animals throat is cut without being stunned. There was a fight between the Canadian Vetrinary Medical association and the Muslim society of PEI recently around this. They argued they did not have to stun animals and used a charter religious freedoms argument. If you care about animals being stunned before getting their throat cut, avoid halal.

In the end tradition and culture are hard to get past. People are taught from a young age that food animals are different than companion animals and so we have to carry on the way it is. This is not true and we can simply stop eating animals. Better for them and better for us for all sorts of reasons such as climate change, workers mental health, and of course moral consistency.

Mr. Mercury posted:

What if I just don't want to see Alberta have anything nice/they enjoy?

Is that kosher or...?
Albertans are basically animals so I think the consensus is they don't matter.

Cat Wings posted:

animal rights activist vegans are the most annoying type of vegan because they want to evangelize their beliefs onto everyone else. If all they wanted to do was push for higher standards at slaughterhouses and better practices on farms, then that'd be ok, but they have to go off about how no one should eat meat ever, no matter what, and we should abolish all zoos, and on and on.

Well yeah if you actually care about some harm in the world you should probably try to enact some kind of change. Are you annoyed at militant dog lovers trying to shut down puppy mills?

apatheticman posted:

Every day we live in a society that reaps untold suffering unto the world.

Militant vegans just picked a lane.
I like this.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DrBox posted:

I sort of understand your point but I'm not sure how you can make a logical argument for banning one part while condoning the rest.

Choosing not to pick two fights at the same time isn't condoning one, it's just grabbing the other one because I can fit the whole thing in my mouth :)

I'm no fan of steer wrestling or roping events either, because they involve tackling and wrestling an animal that would prefer to do neither of these things. The people who do it competitively probably won't injure an animal during the competition, so my reaction's limited to some mild tutting and refusal to ever go see it myself, but ascending to that skill level absolutely involves accidents and injuries on both sides that I actively abhor. The fact that these animals also happen to be food turns this into a variation of the "cruelty in the abattoir" scenario, which I also have a problem with.

My deeper dive into Canadian interpretations of zabiha regs was buried at the end of the last page, but I am buoyed slightly by the regulatory agencies' agreement that stunning is mubah, because that's a sticking point in a lot of other places that lets them out of the duty to prevent a cruelty that I personally take issue with. That it includes the example you cited drives me to dig deeper into it.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 18, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DrBox posted:

In the end tradition and culture are hard to get past. People are taught from a young age that food animals are different than companion animals and so we have to carry on the way it is.

To your edit: I agree that food animals are not the same as companion animals, in that forming attachments and bonds with them is not a great idea emotionally. I still insist that it is absolutely wrong to mistreat an animal, "food animal" or otherwise, by doing the things we see done in the candid videos of slaughterhouses and battery farms - wrestling, beating, kicking, gaffing, boiling alive, and so on. That we need to tell these people NOT to do these things is a giant loving problem, and that the industry refuses to implement meaningful controls to prevent it absolutely is a sign that their right to exist should be called into question.

Yes yes "we have terminated our contract with TortureCorp after the video of their practices was shown on 60 Minutes" is a limbo bar in hell; tell me about the proactive look you chose to take into Definitely Not Cruel Farms Inc. and the 9 people you had keelhauled as a result of what you yourselves saw. Impress me by being proactive instead of needing to be spurred into action by two vegans with boltcutters and a gopro.

I think it should be possible to have a meat industry where these things don't happen, and reading the regs I'm clearly not alone.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 18, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I think meat eating should be licensed, and to get the license you should have to slaughter and butcher the kind of animal you want to be allowed to eat at least once.

It's totally unmanageable in reality obviously, but it feels just to me.

e: I should add I came to this position after working with livestock on a farm.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^I like this. Know where your food comes from.

Zabiha Halal Foods posted:

Good afternoon Mr Loaf,

Thank you for contacting Maple Lodge Farms/Zabiha Halal in regards to the stunning methods that we utilize. In both Halal and non-Halal slaughter, Maple Lodge Farms first makes the birds insensible to pain by stunning them using a Controlled Atmospheric Stunning system, or CAS. In CAS, birds remain in transport containers and are conveyed through an enclosed chamber where they are exposed to increasing amounts of carbon dioxide, which slowly puts them to sleep. Stunning the birds while still in transport containers eliminates stress on the birds caused by the unloading and handling process. Once the birds are stunned, they are then placed unconscious on the processing line where they are slaughtered using an automatic precision blade. In addition, other benefits of the CAS process include an improved work environment for our employees and improved meat quality.

:unsmith:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 18, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

flakeloaf posted:

Choosing not to pick two fights at the same time isn't condoning one, it's just grabbing the other one because I can fit the whole thing in my mouth :)

I think it comes down to the argument you're using in the fight you pick. I'm arguing animal exploitation for entertainment whether it's "tastes good" or "fun to watch" is unjustified so I'd look incoherent trying to argue against chuckwagons without taking issue with the rest. That's where the diversity of tactics comes in. I'll argue my side and some single issue animal welfare folks can argue the chuckwagons. Hopefully the combined pressure will do something.

flakeloaf posted:

To your edit: I agree that food animals are not the same as companion animals, in that forming attachments and bonds with them is not a great idea emotionally. I still insist that it is absolutely wrong to mistreat an animal, "food animal" or otherwise, by doing the things we see done in the candid videos of slaughterhouses and battery farms - wrestling, beating, kicking, gaffing, boiling alive, and so on. That we need to tell these people NOT to do these things is a giant loving problem, and that the industry refuses to implement meaningful controls to prevent it absolutely is a sign that their right to exist should be called into question.

Yes yes "we have terminated our contract with TortureCorp after the video of their practices was shown on 60 Minutes" is a limbo bar in hell; tell me about the proactive look you chose to take into Definitely Not Cruel Farms Inc. and the 9 people you had keelhauled as a result of what you yourselves saw. Impress me by being proactive instead of needing to be spurred into action by two vegans with boltcutters and a gopro.

I think it should be possible to have a meat industry where these things don't happen, and reading the regs I'm clearly not alone.
I appreciate where your coming from although for me a minimally harmful system is still a rights violation to be avoided. Either way unfortunately human nature makes me think we'll never get to a minimal harm system. The issue is systemic. If animals are seen as a product and a means to an end people will continue to mistreat them. If you're in that industry too long kicking or beating a cow out of frustration is as inevitable. They don't view these animals as sentient beings in the moment but just some thing not acting like it should and slowing down your day. No different than hitting your desk in frustration or kicking your car when you get a flat tire. Sure some people are malevolant or sadistic but I would argue these industries create the conditions to push more people into those states of mind. Even under the ideal conditions a slaughterhouse worker must be at risk of mental issues by the very nature of the work.

Another Bill posted:

I think meat eating should be licensed, and to get the license you should have to slaughter and butcher the kind of animal you want to be allowed to eat at least once.

I think this system would certainly make my advocacy easier. There's that expression about if slaughter house walls were windows...

I'll just point out the amount of euphemisms and downplaying of the process is something I get really annoyed with. There is plenty of footage to show the gas chamber is not as calm and pleasant as they make it sound. Ever notice that burning sensation you can get up your nose or in your eyes after drinking pop? That's CO2. Dial up that feeling to 11 and that's what the animals are feeling when the oxygen is displaced by CO2 to stun them. (Sorry, put them to sleep).

Anyway thanks for having a conversation without name calling. I'll leave it here for now unless I get some more spicy replies.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Drbox, I agree that we can both be facing the same direction without the need to agree on distance. Respect.

DrBox posted:

I think it comes down to the argument you're using in the fight you pick. I'm arguing animal exploitation for entertainment whether it's "tastes good" or "fun to watch" is unjustified so I'd look incoherent trying to argue against chuckwagons without taking issue with the rest. That's where the diversity of tactics comes in. I'll argue my side and some single issue animal welfare folks can argue the chuckwagons. Hopefully the combined pressure will do something.

I agree that stressing animals by grabbing or wrestling them for entertainment is usually wrong. That argument gets a lot easier to mount for events that regularly and routinely involve catastrophic, life-changing injuries to the animal that lead straight to euthanasia.

quote:

I appreciate where your coming from although for me a minimally harmful system is still a rights violation to be avoided. Either way unfortunately human nature makes me think we'll never get to a minimal harm system. The issue is systemic. If animals are seen as a product and a means to an end people will continue to mistreat them. If you're in that industry too long kicking or beating a cow out of frustration is as inevitable. They don't view these animals as sentient beings in the moment but just some thing not acting like it should and slowing down your day. No different than hitting your desk in frustration or kicking your car when you get a flat tire. Sure some people are malevolant or sadistic but I would argue these industries create the conditions to push more people into those states of mind. Even under the ideal conditions a slaughterhouse worker must be at risk of mental issues by the very nature of the work.

The same accusation is also correctly leveled against prison guards and cops, and regulating the poo poo out of those professions to prevent abuses would be fantastic ideas too. "Don't do that" alone is insufficient; the people need concrete reasons not to, and ways to deal with their situation to avoid becoming monsters.

quote:

I'll just point out the amount of euphemisms and downplaying of the process is something I get really annoyed with. There is plenty of footage to show the gas chamber is not as calm and pleasant as they make it sound. Ever notice that burning sensation you can get up your nose or in your eyes after drinking pop? That's CO2. Dial up that feeling to 11 and that's what the animals are feeling when the oxygen is displaced by CO2 to stun them. (Sorry, put them to sleep).

Yeah, carbon dioxide narcosis is not "sleep". Being unconscious during handling is something I hadn't thought of, and I'd agree that's much better on the birds. They do say CO2 levels are dialed up though, it doesn't sound like the sudden jolt you describe. What I don't understand is why they don't displace oxygen with nitrogen; nitrogen narcosis is painless and looks rather pleasant and i can't make it a clicky link cause this loving website so here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

e: The first youtube hit on CAS is a PETA video, endorsing the process.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 18, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DrBox posted:

Ever notice that burning sensation you can get up your nose or in your eyes after drinking pop? That's CO2. Dial up that feeling to 11 and that's what the animals are feeling when the oxygen is displaced by CO2 to stun them. (Sorry, put them to sleep).

There always has to be weird tidbits like this huh. Like you have decent points but throwing in stuff like this just hijacks the entire thing. Do you have proof that animals are feeling pain because of CO2? Do you have proof that the CO2 actually causes pain like this and that feeling just isn't you know... carbonic acid from C02 being suspended in water?

Quit shooting your own foot with this weird shaming.

Also its the weed page.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I feel like this notion probably could stand to be applied to a lot of things.

In all honesty I seriously doubt I'd be comfortable doing it / being involved. I fully admit to being a coward, but in the face of having to upend my entire diet and lifestyle I think I might just shrivel up and die otherwise. I do hope lab grown meat / meat substitutes become more affordable soon. Would curious to see what would happen if they were to become cheaper then the real stuff.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There is evidence that slaughterhouses are terrible places to work:

Abstract of The Psychological Impact of Slaughterhouse Employment: A Systematic Literature Review posted:

The role of a slaughterhouse worker (SHW) involves the authorized killing of living beings, yet there is limited understanding of the consequences this behavior has on their well-being. The purpose of this systematic review is to collate and evaluate the current literature on the psychological impact of slaughterhouse employment. Fourteen studies met the specific a priori inclusion criteria. The findings from this review were demarcated by the focus of studies: (1) the prevalence of mental health disorders, (2) the types of coping mechanisms used, and (3) the link between slaughterhouse employment and crime perpetration. It was found that SHWs have a higher prevalence rate of mental health issues, in particular depression and anxiety, in addition to violence-supportive attitudes. Furthermore, the workers employ a variety of both adaptive and maladaptive strategies to cope with the workplace environment and associated stressors. Finally, there is some evidence that slaughterhouse work is associated with increased crime levels. The research reviewed has shown a link between slaughterhouse work and antisocial behavior generally and sexual offending specifically. There was no support for such an association with violent crimes, however. Based on existing research, we suggest future directions for research (i.e., applying more methodological rigor) but highlight key findings for practitioners and policymakers that warrant attention.

Caveats are that I skimmed it and didn't see discussion of whether the method of slaughter matters (subsequent butchery seems inevitable regardless), and there was discussion on confounding variables/control groups so it's not completely clear how much worse slaughterhouse work is than roughly equivalent unpleasant jobs not involving animals and their carcasses. Soybeans are presumably less psychologically taxing, but I'm thinking of that industrial bakery in Toronto (Fiera Foods) that keeps killing its workers, for example.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

flakeloaf posted:

The same accusation is also correctly leveled against prison guards and cops, and regulating the poo poo out of those professions to prevent abuses would be fantastic ideas too. "Don't do that" alone is insufficient; the people need concrete reasons not to, and ways to deal with their situation to avoid becoming monsters.
Yeah but the difference is necessity of the institution. We still need cops and prisons to some degree. We could actually lower land use and total crops required going to a plant based food system.

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah, carbon dioxide narcosis is not "sleep". Being unconscious during handling is something I hadn't thought of, and I'd agree that's much better on the birds. They do say CO2 levels are dialed up though, it doesn't sound like the sudden jolt you describe. What I don't understand is why they don't displace oxygen with nitrogen; nitrogen narcosis is painless and looks rather pleasant and i can't make it a clicky link cause this loving website so here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

e: The first youtube hit on CAS is a PETA video, endorsing the process.
PETA is endorsing the process over the alternative of electrified water bath as a method of stunning in a welfare argument. The ultimate goal is still abolishing the industry.

Nitrogen has been proven better because it does not burn the eyes and mucous membranes but it costs more so they don't use it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao remember when weed wasn't legal

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

apatheticman posted:

There always has to be weird tidbits like this huh. Like you have decent points but throwing in stuff like this just hijacks the entire thing. Do you have proof that animals are feeling pain because of CO2? Do you have proof that the CO2 actually causes pain like this and that feeling just isn't you know... carbonic acid from C02 being suspended in water?

Quit shooting your own foot with this weird shaming.
Why do you consider a statement of the facts to be shaming. The animals are distressed in the gas chamber. Here is a video that shows both electric bath and gas chamber methods.
https://youtu.be/uJXSYMhtwvU

It's a short video. Tell me if you think they are in pain or distressed.
Pigs are much more expressive though so if you find this one inconclusive you can watch this one.
https://youtu.be/-7hAELEBjX4

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Seeing as how we're somehow back onto the "Meat is evil" topic, I have a question primarily for DrBox but other vegans can answer as well.

Let's say that overnight, legislation goes into effect that bans all animal products. Meat, eggs, milk, cheese, you name it. What happens to all the animals on the farms?

Honest question, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DrBox posted:

Why do you consider a statement of the facts to be shaming. The animals are distressed in the gas chamber. Here is a video that shows both electric bath and gas chamber methods.
https://youtu.be/uJXSYMhtwvU

It's a short video. Tell me if you think they are in pain or distressed.
Pigs are much more expressive though so if you find this one inconclusive you can watch this one.
https://youtu.be/-7hAELEBjX4

I said proof, not a video anecdote.

You made 2 assertations, 1) the animals feel pain during this process 2) the pain is similar to the feeling you get while drinking pop "dialed up to 11".

To prove this you provided a video of a point in time, zero scientific evidence or even beginning to attempt such.

You are talking to presumably media literate adults not high schoolers.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 18, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So in actual Canadian news King has been granted bail. Hospitals in small communities are closing down. Some other stuff I am sure is happening.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

posting on the weed page about canada, and a hospital in Kingston - not a small community - limiting procedures because they have nobody around to do them

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/kingston-health-sciences-centre-capping-patients-at-urgent-care-centre-due-to-staffing-shortage-1.5991880

quote:

"With ongoing physician and staff shortages and growing patient volumes through the pandemic, hospitals across the country including KHSC, have been forced to make difficult decisions," Chief of Staff, Dr. Michael Fitzpatrick said.

“We have exhausted all other options and recognize the inconvenience this will cause for some people in our community. We ask everyone to help us preserve care for those who need it most and only come to the UCC if your health concern is indeed urgent.”

The Urgent Care Centre provides care for cuts needing stitches, sprains, strains, deep bruises, mild to moderate asthma attacks, minor broken bones, insect bites and rashes. It's open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The Kingston Health Sciences Centre says the decision to limit the daily number of patients in the Urgent Care Clinic was made, "to ensure the urgent care team can continue to provide the highest-quality of care to each person who walks through the door."

Each day, staff will determine daily how many patients it can safely care for depending on the complexity of conditions needing to be addressed, the number of doctors and nurses available and the status of the Emergency Department at the Kingston General Hospital.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, if we agree that chuckwagons are gone because they're unsafe and stupid (I believe that's a good idea), and steer wrestling and roping are gone because it can (rarely) cause injury to the animal (this I don't agree with, but I understand why people hold that opinion*), can we have rough-stock events and wild pony races and herding-dog competitions, or is it not about the potential of harm to the animal, but about the idea of being entertained by an animal in any context? The animals in those competitions are clearly willing participants (when they are unwilling, they simply will not participate, and there's no way to force them).

And, if that is indeed the line, then can any form of working animal be justified for any reason? What about companion animals, who are still inherently forced to do things they might not be willing to do at a specific time?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

Seeing as how we're somehow back onto the "Meat is evil" topic, I have a question primarily for DrBox but other vegans can answer as well.

Let's say that overnight, legislation goes into effect that bans all animal products. Meat, eggs, milk, cheese, you name it. What happens to all the animals on the farms?

I suspect that the sensible approach is planning a gradual sunset/phase out because shutting it all down overnight would be catastrophic in so many ways, even ethically as there wouldn't be accommodations for all those animals.

That said, I am curious what happens to livestock animals in a post meat world / what would be the plan for them?

Madkal posted:

So in actual Canadian news King has been granted bail.
Didn't he break previous bail conditions?

e: New bail conditions

quote:

He will be required to abide by a number of conditions including leaving the city of Ottawa within 24 hours, residing with a surety in Alberta, and not too contact other organizers of the "Freedom Convoy." He will also have a curfew from 10 pm to 6 am, unless working, and will be required to stay off social media.
countdown until he's in violation....

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 18, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

posting on the weed page about canada, and a hospital in Kingston - not a small community - limiting procedures because they have nobody around to do them

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/kingston-health-sciences-centre-capping-patients-at-urgent-care-centre-due-to-staffing-shortage-1.5991880
Same up here, though we're nowhere near as large.

https://cabinradio.ca/99365/news/health/stanton-service-reduction-will-extend-well-beyond-july/

quote:

Health minister Julie Green had on Wednesday stated the Stanton operating room would be staffed only for emergencies from July 18-22. A day later, the health authority said service reductions would last for months.

From July 25 until September 30, the authority stated in a press release, Stanton will mostly rely on one operating room rather than two, effectively halving capacity for regularly scheduled surgeries.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm starting to think the plan of "allow contagious disease to run rampant, and underfund healthcare," was not the stunning plan that our governments presented it to us as.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Randalor posted:

Depends on the reason they banned it. If it was some environmental reason they would probably kill and process the animals they have left and stop breeding any more and the industry would shut down.

If aliens came down and gave an ultimatum of ban animal products or perish, we would see government subsidies shift from animal agriculture to creating sanctuaries to allow the animals to live out their days while not breeding any more. 20 years later species like dairy cows would be extinct unless a few people keep some around as pets like we do with horses now.

apatheticman posted:

I said proof, not a video anecdote.

You made 2 assertations, 1) the animals feel pain during this process 2) the pain is similar to the feeling you get while drinking pop "dialed up to 11".

To prove this you provided a video of a point in time, zero scientific evidence or even beginning to attempt such.

You are talking to presumably media literate adults not high schoolers.

Oh they are not suffering, they are just thrashing around with joy! Show me a study! Checkmate! If you me to prove subjective experience of pain beyond a shadow of a doubt I can't but you could say the same when I kick a dog and it yelps. We can only infer from their behaviour.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10774072/

Study posted:

Stunning of poultry is still not solved satisfactorily. This concerns the requirements of animal welfare, meat quality and working conditions in the lairage, stunning and debleeding area. In an investigation of combined CO2-/O2-stunning in a new gas stunning system stress reactions of the animals during the induction phase and stunning effectivity were recorded in 7,000 chicken and 3.825 turkeys. During the induction phase (here: chicken 41 sek./turkeys 25-65 sec.) the animals first staid calm and then showed beak-opening as a consequence of the breathing stimulating effect of CO2. As a further sign of the aversiveness against CO2 the animals showed head shaking and wing flapping. The used settings of gas concentrations and stunning time in the system investigated lead to a very deep stunning resp. Killing of the animals.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

So, if we agree that chuckwagons are gone because they're unsafe and stupid (I believe that's a good idea), and steer wrestling and roping are gone because it can (rarely) cause injury to the animal (this I don't agree with, but I understand why people hold that opinion*), can we have rough-stock events and wild pony races and herding-dog competitions, or is it not about the potential of harm to the animal, but about the idea of being entertained by an animal in any context? The animals in those competitions are clearly willing participants (when they are unwilling, they simply will not participate, and there's no way to force them).

And, if that is indeed the line, then can any form of working animal be justified for any reason? What about companion animals, who are still inherently forced to do things they might not be willing to do at a specific time?
Can you explain to me the process of breaking a horse? Any guesses as to why they call it that? Do you think they start out wanting to be ridden? We do not allow them agency. They are subjugated and will comply eventually or they are killed.

How about just find something else to do? Plenty of fun to be had without forcing animals to entertain us. Do you have a problem with dancing bears at the circus?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DrBox posted:

Depends on the reason they banned it. If it was some environmental reason they would probably kill and process the animals they have left and stop breeding any more and the industry would shut down.

If aliens came down and gave an ultimatum of ban animal products or perish, we would see government subsidies shift from animal agriculture to creating sanctuaries to allow the animals to live out their days while not breeding any more. 20 years later species like dairy cows would be extinct unless a few people keep some around as pets like we do with horses now.

So best-case scenario you can present is "We mass-slaughter the animals and wipe out several species in one go"? I mean, I was kinda hoping for the "animal sanctuaries" to be your answer, but that would apparently require alien ultimatums? Or "The animals are let loose, most die from being domesricated and unable to adapt to the wild but enough survive that they propagate". After all, there's no money in slaughtering and processing them if the product is illegal.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

flakeloaf posted:

Oh cool just as I'm looking to move to Kingston.

Oh well, what can you do. Money for the OPP and suburban expansion has to come from somewhere, may as well be healthcare.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't eat much meat anymore for medical reasons but if they somehow banned it I'd be like welp I guess they'll have to find some other kind of crap to put in hot dogs

"meat people" are weird fuckers and should probably be put in camps and made to farm potatoes or something, along with people who drive pick up trucks and all libertarians

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DrBox posted:

Oh they are not suffering, they are just thrashing around with joy! Show me a study! Checkmate! If you me to prove subjective experience of pain beyond a shadow of a doubt I can't but you could say the same when I kick a dog and it yelps. We can only infer from their behaviour.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10774072/

And the rest of that paragraph says they found a better mixture.

Again you aren't talking to babies here.

You are doing the worst kind of proselytizing, moral high ground arguments puts people on the defensive, interjecting grandiose statements with shock videos puts people on the defensive, being combative and smarmy puts people on the defensive.

Who cares how people get to less meat or no meat/less animal suffering/no animal suffering. Take them on that journey, don't be a dick about it.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Randalor posted:

So best-case scenario you can present is "We mass-slaughter the animals and wipe out several species in one go"? I mean, I was kinda hoping for the "animal sanctuaries" to be your answer, but that would apparently require alien ultimatums? Or "The animals are let loose, most die from being domesricated and unable to adapt to the wild but enough survive that they propagate". After all, there's no money in slaughtering and processing them if the product is illegal.

Yeah sanctuaries and drop breeding until they go extinct is the best case scenario. It sounds sad but I always point to certain dog breeds as an analogy. Pugs have really hosed up genetics. They have a really hard time breathing and even need help breeding. In this case the most humane solution is to stop breeding them, give the ones still alive a great home and let the line die out. These animals will not have an existential crisis or find out they are the last of their kind. They can just chill on sanctuaries until they pass away and the land we needed for animal agriculture can be rewilded.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 18, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

I think the notion is that is the realistic outcome. There's no money in animal sanctuaries and it would take eventuating circumstances to force the best/right outcome.

Arguably, as unfortunate as slaughter/die-out would be, it's still more ethical then purposeful breeding for slaughter and consumption. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Randalor posted:

Well, there'd never be an overnight legislation that simply outright banned all animal products; that's simply not how legislation works.

It's an inherently dishonest question.

DrBox posted:

Can you explain to me the process of breaking a horse? Any guesses as to why they call it that? Do you think they start out wanting to be ridden? We do not allow them agency. They are subjugated and will comply eventually or they are killed.

How about just find something else to do? Plenty of fun to be had without forcing animals to entertain us. Do you have a problem with dancing bears at the circus?

Out of curiosity, by this logic, are you also against pet ownership? Honest question.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Meat could very easily be replaced by giving the lab grown stuff the same subsidies and tax breaks we already give the cattle barons and pig kings and chicken emperors.

I still eat meat, if less than I used to, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend that there's a nice happy way to turn a cow and a pig into a Baconater. Nor am I going to deny that it would be better in literally every way to switch to B'conaters (I haven't had a Baconater in ten years, dunno if they're still a thing)

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

apatheticman posted:

And the rest of that paragraph says they found a better mixture.

Again you aren't talking to babies here.

You are doing the worst kind of proselytizing, moral high ground arguments puts people on the defensive, interjecting grandiose statements with shock videos puts people on the defensive, being combative and smarmy puts people on the defensive.

Who cares how people get to less meat or no meat/less animal suffering/no animal suffering. Take them on that journey, don't be a dick about it.

Don't treat people like babies but also don't show or talk about the process? I don't think I'm being a dick about it. I'm just not going to sugar coat it either.

The gas chamber is the best of a number of bad methods but it's still bad. There is a reason that nitrogen is recommended over CO2. I just can't fathom how you think they feel nothing in there. We know the effects of the gas.

TheCenturion posted:

Out of curiosity, by this logic, are you also against pet ownership? Honest question.

Not entirely against it. I'm against breeders and puppy mills but there are animals in shelters that need homes. If the choice is give them a home or kill them, we should adopt them. No different than providing sanctuaries for farm animals.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 18, 2022

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

All those animals are destined to die anyway, so they would die but the process wouldn't start anew. Some small number of them would probably find their way to sanctuaries and such.

I do find the question funny though as it comes up a lot in these types of conversations.

Counter question. Why would a person who's taking part in the wholesale slaughter of animals year in and year out care about the wellbeing of these animals anyway?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DrBox posted:

Don't treat people like babies but also don't show or talk about the process? I don't think I'm being a dick about it. I'm just not going to sugar coat it either.

The gas chamber is the best of a number of bad methods but it's still bad. There is a reason that nitrogen is recommended over CO2. I just can't fathom how you think they feel nothing in there. We know the effects of the gas.

You are providing a highly curated very selective look at the process for your own ethical gains. You are essentially using the exact same playbook as anti-abortion activists and are getting the exact same type of pushback.

This is why I was talking about people being on the defensive. If this was an actual thing you wanted to change people's minds on you'd pivot your rhetorical style to the thing that achieved your goals.

Has this ever worked for you?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DaysBefore posted:

Meat could very easily be replaced by giving the lab grown stuff the same subsidies and tax breaks we already give the cattle barons and pig kings and chicken emperors.

I still eat meat, if less than I used to, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend that there's a nice happy way to turn a cow and a pig into a Baconater. Nor am I going to deny that it would be better in literally every way to switch to B'conaters (I haven't had a Baconater in ten years, dunno if they're still a thing)

Health-wise I'm pretty dubious about fake meat. Beyond meat is absolutely better than actual meat from an ethical standpoint, but that's a lot less clear-cut from a nutritional standpoint.

I loving love the old school hippy vegan burgers that are filled with mushrooms and beans though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

You are providing a highly curated very selective look at the process for your own ethical gains.

What? The entire meat industry is a horror fueled nightmare. There are no happy cows (or whatever animal) being lead to slaughter. There is only fear, pain and death.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Health-wise I'm pretty dubious about fake meat. Beyond meat is absolutely better than actual meat from an ethical standpoint, but that's a lot less clear-cut from a nutritional standpoint.

I loving love the old school hippy vegan burgers that are filled with mushrooms and beans though.

I think lab-grown meat means actual meat created in a lab, rather than being grown inside an animal, not just the fake poo poo that sort of tastes like meat but is entirely different in most respects. I think it's a superb thing to work toward, absolutely.

I also love the old-school veggie burgers and stuff that don't try to be meat, they just try to be something that works in sort of the same way. I'd take a black-bean veggie burger over Beyond Meat/Impossible poo poo any day and it's a good product because you can enjoy it on its own merits, not simply to avoid meat.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Fights like this are pretty much just complete deadlock, which is why people enjoy them. Argument as entertainment.

The solution is to give animals the right to vote

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Counter question. Why would a person who's taking part in the wholesale slaughter of animals year in and year out care about the wellbeing of these animals anyway?

Just because I like meat doesn't mean I want the animal to suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I mean sure the two particular vegans in this thread (and I should stress this is not representative of all vegans, nor intended to be, I'd just like to make that point) are absolutely deranged and everyone is calling them out, but it's really my fault for having object permanence and remembering the last X times we've had this discussion and jumping straight to "they're insane."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)