Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ok so no regrets with Balthus. Catching up on paralogues etc and I’ve found that Trickster Shez + Despoil + Golden Fists = stupid amounts of money. I’ve not even tried other classes and it’s hilarious how much I’m making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Amppelix posted:

it is? i usually get like 3000 gold max from all my despoils and balthus. do you have to be soloing the map with them or what

Correct, solo the map and just do it on that unit, those are just the caps. The best map for farming is Zahras on the good path.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Why does the Fetters of Dromi have to be a Hero’s Relic :negative:?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jimmydalad posted:

Why does the Fetters of Dromi have to be a Hero’s Relic :negative:?

Sol mitigates it entirely from my experience fwiw.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Getting Felix's whistle ability is another option for high mobility without the "literally only one person can use it per map and they might take damage too" requirement, depending on if it's someone you care about ability overrides on

(Also it stacks with calvary speed which is hilarous and I think just a hair slower than Shez's ZR but without the recharge)

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
In case anyone else shares my unique stupidity, I went for 50 hours thinking Shez's ZR was basically an enhanced dodge that did a fixed-length 'jump', and was just hammering on it as fast as possible over and over to move longer distances. Finally realized that you can just hold the button down and you'll go fast until you hit a wall or run out of juice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I finished the black eagles route and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with what a game did at the end since Morrowind (where the ashlander trials made me want to die)

It just ends. Your war isn't even finished. No slides. A letter from the person you romanced with barely anything in it. Holy poo poo I've just got no motivation AT ALL to play again now and am just going to sell it on. Before I was raring to go and try Blue Lions now I just don't see the point

It's funny that the game never explains crests at all, at least in Black Eagles. And the deaths of characters who you've LITERALLY met for the first time are funny too. I mean I care that say Ingrid died because I know her from Three Houses but if I didn't it'd be like "what".

Really nice to get the chance to "know" Jeralt, Byleth and Monica though. That's what I'll take away from the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So Randolph and Judith will probably be patched in at some point, right? Cause it's weird that Only AG let Byleth kill a playable character

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

So Randolph and Judith will probably be patched in at some point, right? Cause it's weird that Only AG let Byleth kill a playable character

I would buy a dlc that gets us Ladislava, Randolph, Judith, and Nader. No idea who AG people would want but I mean that's a solid roster of characters people like. Or at least the first two I really like. I have this strange affection for the two poor doomed Imperial generals who seem to never get a break in any timeline.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

I would buy a dlc that gets us Ladislava, Randolph, Judith, and Nader. No idea who AG people would want but I mean that's a solid roster of characters people like. Or at least the first two I really like. I have this strange affection for the two poor doomed Imperial generals who seem to never get a break in any timeline.

And Fleche surely!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

AG's gonna get Gilbert and Cyril at some point and SB will get Hanneman with Alois presumably being tacked on to Jeralt/Byleth once they finally do the free update. That should help balance it out a bit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
AG: Gilbert, Cyril, maybe Sylvain's dad.
GW: Judith, Nadar, Lorenz's dad.
SB: Ladislava, Randolph, Caspar or Linhardt's dad.

My guess is since you can unlock all the named slither's weapons as postgame stuff that we'll probably eventually get them too for record battles.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Taear posted:

And Fleche surely!

I'm torn on if she's too young to fight, especially with only the two year timeskip, but gently caress it. Of course her preferred class should be assassin. :v:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Eimi posted:

I'm torn on if she's too young to fight, especially with only the two year timeskip, but gently caress it. Of course her preferred class should be assassin. :v:

It's what she uses as a unit when trying to kill Claude in GW

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

It's what she uses as a unit when trying to kill Claude in GW

AG too. And of course AM.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

I mean she's in the battles a few times, not controllable of course

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

About as old as Lysithea pretimeskip so arguably if she's too young to fight now Lysithea shouldn't have been a unit for the first half of 3 Houses :v:

Sydin posted:

AG: Gilbert, Cyril, maybe Sylvain's dad.
GW: Judith, Nadar, Lorenz's dad.
SB: Ladislava, Randolph, Caspar or Linhardt's dad.

My guess is since you can unlock all the named slither's weapons as postgame stuff that we'll probably eventually get them too for record battles.

that said yeah I think "3H units that didn't show up" > "new faces that were voiced but weren't playable" would be prioritized over Fleche, so Caspar and Lindhardt's dads are probably 2 shoe-ins, and then Ladislava is probably more likely for a third

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Child soldiers are a time-honoured war crime in the fire emblem series

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

About as old as Lysithea pretimeskip so arguably if she's too young to fight now Lysithea shouldn't have been a unit for the first half of 3 Houses :v:

No, no she should not have been.

War school is hosed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nobility as a concept is fundamentally underpinned by violence, even moreso than the crests. Proving you can kill on behalf of the status quo before you can inherit your title speaks to the sort of "natural order" that Rhea wants to maintain in Fodlan.

An interesting facet of Edelgard's revolution is the desire to rationalize and equalize society by replacing nobility and crests with meritocracy, but not replacing a top-down hierarchical structure where power is held and projected downward by force (literally an empire, after all).

Claude seems to have more of a commitment to collaboration and power-sharing over the raw use of power, but it was interesting that his reform from the Alliance to the Federation was mainly about centralizing power for himself to bypass long roundtable debates, and Claude's actual commitment to a less violent world that runs on consent of the governed is a fun thread they play with. It's a fun scene when Claude decides to open up his planning process to include his friends and allies, that they find they're just as prone to scheming as he was (I think Hilda says they're all turning into "mini-Claudes").

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dolash posted:

Nobility as a concept is fundamentally underpinned by violence, even moreso than the crests. Proving you can kill on behalf of the status quo before you can inherit your title speaks to the sort of "natural order" that Rhea wants to maintain in Fodlan.

An interesting facet of Edelgard's revolution is the desire to rationalize and equalize society by replacing nobility and crests with meritocracy, but not replacing a top-down hierarchical structure where power is held and projected downward by force (literally an empire, after all).

Claude seems to have more of a commitment to collaboration and power-sharing over the raw use of power, but it was interesting that his reform from the Alliance to the Federation was mainly about centralizing power for himself to bypass long roundtable debates, and Claude's actual commitment to a less violent world that runs on consent of the governed is a fun thread they play with. It's a fun scene when Claude decides to open up his planning process to include his friends and allies, that they find they're just as prone to scheming as he was (I think Hilda says they're all turning into "mini-Claudes").

Claude von Riegen 1182: I love democracy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tired Moritz posted:

Doubt it. Judith is already a Mercenary clone moveset-wise, and I don't think she was meant to be anything other than a major story NPC.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Do we know for sure there will be DLC or are we just assuming because most musous have it and 3Houses itself had DLC?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Epi Lepi posted:

Do we know for sure there will be DLC or are we just assuming because most musous have it and 3Houses itself had DLC?

We know there's at least a free update to make Cyril/Gilbert/Hanneman/Anna/Alois playable planned. And indications in the data of placeholders for future DLC characters beyond them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

We know there's at least a free update to make Cyril/Gilbert/Hanneman/Anna/Alois playable planned. And indications in the data of placeholders for future DLC characters beyond them.

I'm surprised!
I wonder how well it's sold, I've not heard anyone talking about it and it seems to have vanished from shops here now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Taear posted:

I'm surprised!
I wonder how well it's sold, I've not heard anyone talking about it and it seems to have vanished from shops here now

I can't find US figures, but

quote:

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes debuted at the top of the weekly UK physical charts, having released on June 24 on Switch.

This second entry in the Fire Emblem Warriors series easily surpassed its predecessor, selling 45.3% more copies on its debut week. Fire Emblem Warriors launched in October 2017 on 3DS and Nintendo Switch.

However, Three Hopes didn't quite reach the level of its sister franchise, Hyrule Warriors. It sold roughly 1% less on its debut weekend than 2018's Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition on Switch, and 76% fewer copies than 2020's Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I can't find US figures, but

When you're getting compared to Zelda numbers that's pretty good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's probably easily enough to justify DLC, and "first month" figures would probably be better to go off once it's been, you know, a month. FE:W was something I was told "it's bad, just get HW Definitive instead" so it wouldn't surprise me if some people who would have snagged it held off until reviews were in, too

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anecdotally I didn't notice any slowdown in the fandom (as far as fanart/fictions being created) for Three Houses until right before Three Hopes was announced so the audience was still there. I'd imagine there's a significant amount of people like me who've had brainworms for these characters since 2019 and were thrilled to get more of them, even in a different style of game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Finishing Three Hopes just makes me want to start up another Houses playthrough. The opening third of the game set up a lot of expectations that the rest of the game completely failed to deliver on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Anecdotally I didn't notice any slowdown in the fandom (as far as fanart/fictions being created) for Three Houses until right before Three Hopes was announced so the audience was still there. I'd imagine there's a significant amount of people like me who've had brainworms for these characters since 2019 and were thrilled to get more of them, even in a different style of game.

Oh yeah Fodlan and Edeleth in particular has lived in my head rent loving free since I played the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Three Houses blew Awakening out of the water sales wise and hugely beloved, mostly on the back of fans loving the cast. So a game that's unapologetically "here's an excuse to hang out with these characters again" also doing gangbusters doesn't surprise me. Also probably helps that the demo made it clear if you aren't a musou fan you can set the game to easy/casual and blast through it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Well I got to the end of the Black Eagles route.

What a nothingburger of an ending.

Time to go chill with Claude and Holst and then never touch the Blue Lions cause holy poo poo some of the plot points I’ve heard make me never want to touch that path.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Time to go chill with Claude and Holst and then never touch the Blue Lions cause holy poo poo some of the plot points I’ve heard make me never want to touch that path.

That is the right choice. While I found the Lions subcast fine in Houses (since I never did AM) I powered through AG mostly to steal their relics and by 'fixing' the Lions they are just so loving boring and worse characters. Let alone Kaga orb

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jimmydalad posted:

Doing AG is required so you can get Thunderbrand for Lysithea, also I guess all the other heroes relics that they're hoarding up in Fargheus

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If it makes you feel "better", every route ends in a similar fashion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

Three Houses blew Awakening out of the water sales wise and hugely beloved, mostly on the back of fans loving the cast. So a game that's unapologetically "here's an excuse to hang out with these characters again" also doing gangbusters doesn't surprise me. Also probably helps that the demo made it clear if you aren't a musou fan you can set the game to easy/casual and blast through it.

Three Houses sold the best in the series, but "out of the water" feels like an exaggeration. Looking at sales charts by system, Awakening was the 30th best selling 3DS game, and Three Houses is the 29th best selling Switch game at the moment. Three Houses sold a million and a third more copies, which is a respectable improvement keeping with the general series trajectory (the three versions of Fates sold a couple hundred thousand less than Three Houses), but they're still in the same "Over two million, under five million" territory.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just want Randolph to get out of npc fodder hell

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Doing AG is required so you can get Thunderbrand for Lysithea, also I guess all the other heroes relics that they're hoarding up in Fargheus

Nah you can get that from GW when you kill Catherine.

edit:
I ended up sandwiching AG between GW and SB which worked out for me. I very much did not like some of the stuff from AG but I'm still glad I played it because I do like all the kids and most of the lions aren't recruitable. Seeing more of the kingdom politics was neat, too.

I treated it kind of like a bad end and then immediately started up SB afterwards. Definitely don't blame anyone for skipping it though.

GW is my favorite. And its camp music is so good, especially the part 1 version.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Genovera posted:

Nah you can get that from GW when you kill Catherine.

ah drat really? I could have sworn that SB has a Catherine kill as well that I didn't get Thunderstrike from, why does Claude get preferential treatment :colbert: