Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I rode my bike yesterday! I even wore a helmet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yo link to that front rack, that might be good for mine, I don't like the basket ones.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yo link to that front rack, that might be good for mine, I don't like the basket ones.

That's an ancient rack that came on a thrift store bike I got ages ago. I just used a bunch of zip ties to attach one of the plain Wald 137 baskets that doesn't have any mounting hardware.

I did spend way too much money on a pre-order for one of these though https://wearestuntdoubles.com/product/ratking-rip-rack It's supposed to be ready around the end of the month.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

tildes posted:

Can anyone suggest where to look for ebike buying guides? Having to accept that my knees will not allow me to ride an acoustic bike in San Francisco as much as I’d like to.
If you value your time or or not particularly handy, I would suggest you start by asking local shops what ebikes they are willing/know how to work on.

I can't say I've been impressed by ebike review sites because they are almost universally incapable of critiquing physical build quality.

They suck at reviewing ride quality too.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2022

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Vando posted:

Please read my goddamn posts and understand that maybe not everyone rides bikes the same way you do and calling them 'dumb' and 'brain damaged' is dickhead behaviour. This topic doesn't need to be talked about as much as it does but the outright hostility to people needs to be clamped down on hard because it makes a bunch of you look like massive jerks.

I actually didn’t say any of that but you do seem really mad lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sure those welds are nice but no... That's too much

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm sure those welds are nice but no... That's too much

I fully admit that I paid way more than I otherwise would have because I stumbled across the pre-order right when I was frustrated that all the other similar racks I wanted to buy were out of stock everywhere

This thing seems to be sold under a bunch of different brand names and I've never touched one so I can't vouch for quality, but it's cheap and as long as the bracket for the crown bolt cleared your straddle cable it would probably work for the basket+zip tie thing. Maybe just don't load it up with a bunch of heavy stuff. https://a.co/7BVVjUF

Unfortunately most of the better front racks are "handmade in Japan" type stuff and are really expensive compared to all the more common rear racks you can find everywhere.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 17, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

my idiot friend got concussion from cycling at like 5 mph and falling off without a helmet and i had to sit with his idiot arse for like an hour to make sure he was alright and wasn't going to hurt himself

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dog Case posted:

I rode my bike yesterday! I even wore a helmet

Great photo! How are you liking that State? I've been eyeing one, they seem like a great value.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Here's the free bike I got, looks like I probably just need to clean it up

Edit: seems like there's a slight bend in the rear rim, rubs on the brake pad periodically

drat, another cool bike! I wonder who made those for LL Bean. It looks a little bit like a similar vintage Stumpjumper.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

frogbs posted:

Great photo! How are you liking that State? I've been eyeing one, they seem like a great value.

I like it a lot! It's a little heavy but I don't mind. It works well with the geometry to make it really stable and good for relaxed cruising.
The only thing on it that turned out to be actual junk was the Sunshine cassette. The cogs bent/got loose/something?? pretty quickly to where it would randomly jump up or down a gear briefly in the larger cogs. I replaced it with a Sun Race with a few extra teeth on the low end to help with hills and the shifting has been perfect since.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CopperHound posted:

If you value your time or or not particularly handy, I would suggest you start by asking local shops what ebikes they are willing/know how to work on.

I can't say I've been impressed by ebike review sites because they are almost universally incapable of critiquing physical build quality.

They suck at reviewing ride quality too.

The ‘good’ ebike review sites are just usually just restating the press release and spec sheet. Even if they went to the trouble of getting a demo/press bike, bad reviews don’t get referral commissions and mfrs stop sending bikes to you.

The bad ones are just gpt-3 rewrites of the good ones.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My bike come in tomorrow. Looking forward to riding it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

in a well actually posted:

The ‘good’ ebike review sites are just usually just restating the press release and spec sheet. Even if they went to the trouble of getting a demo/press bike, bad reviews don’t get referral commissions and mfrs stop sending bikes to you.

The bad ones are just gpt-3 rewrites of the good ones.

I hate this. The only genuine reviews for anything anymore are posts on forums or A Guy on YouTube that just likes to make videos about his new thing he got and isn't sponsored by anybody

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I think electricbikereview is generally pretty good :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-4F7E7Fx8

In any case, the main concern with ebikes is going to be getting replacement parts a few years down the track when the battery or motor dies, not really something you can review.

In real bike news i've purchased yet another set of tyres because 28mm GP5000 S TRs were finally restocked.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've had my eye on this kickstarter front rack for a bit. fits onto your handlebars with just leverage, no tools

https://off.road.cc/content/review/racks/jack-the-bike-rack-review-9117

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

God Hole posted:

I've had my eye on this kickstarter front rack for a bit. fits onto your handlebars with just leverage, no tools

https://off.road.cc/content/review/racks/jack-the-bike-rack-review-9117

That's kind of neat. Nitto makes a handlebar bag support that hangs on the bars the same way but they've only ever made it in a size that only works on narrower quill stems

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

went on a bike ride yesterday

a good biek ride

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

See, it's stuff like this that makes me think I'll never be Captain Bicycle Champion King America Number One. That's one hell of a ride.

I murdered my legs Friday (cardio at the gym) and Saturday morning (a long, grueling [toward the end] ride that felt a lot longer than 30 miles thanks to the gravel, heat, and lack of shade), so my biking itch is scratched for now. And that's good, because I won't be on a bike for a little bit.

I did conquer one of my fears this weekend. See, I'm pretty severely acrophobic. So, bridges have been an issue for me over the years. They can be high-octane nightmare fuel for me. We went over one in Florida several years back, somewhere around St. Augustine, and I was petrified. (Mrs. T was driving, thank Christ.) Having to go over bridges that are way above rivers featured in some of my worst nightmares for most of my life.

This weekend, I decided to give the Old Chain Of Rocks bridge a try. There is a 15 mile ride to get to it (from my starting point), but it's open to pedestrians and cyclists. This is an old Route 66 bridge, notable for having a 20° bend just shy of the Missouri landing. Thankfully, there are enough fences and structures that I was only mildly triggered for the entire trip over the bridge, and I was able to carefully go up to the fences and railings to get some pictures of the river without having a full-on panic attack, which is something that nearly happened at the Not Sears Tower and the Confluence Tower. I was thinking about riding further south into northern St. Louis, but it was getting really hot and I was more than 15 miles from my vehicle. If I'd brought one more bottle of water, though...

Anyway, enjoy some pictures.

Information sign on the Illinois side at Chouteau Island landing (free song if you push the button!):

Old St. Louis water intake towers, just upstream from the "rapids" that make navigation on this stretch of the river nigh impossible (barge traffic goes through the canal on the other side of Chouteau Island):

A boring shot of the entrance of the bridge from Missouri, taken specifically so I can prove to myself that I rode bike over a big scary bridge:

I did get a picture looking downstream toward St. Louis, too. It took all I had to take that picture because as I looked out there to compose the shot, I started to feel really uncomfortable. Acrophobia can be a hell of a thing sometimes.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Hell yeah! Looks like a nice ride and good work on confronting your fear. That's what bikes can do for us

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I rode my mountain bike around a firefighter training ground and now I’m going to take a hacksaw to a carbon steerer. Bikes are good.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Specialized recently released a great collab with Fjallraven that has a front-rack/handlebar bag combo. Looks well built and the bag itself looks very practical/useful.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/specialized-fjllrven-handlebar-rack/p/220837?color=361880-220837&searchText=41123-6700

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/specialized-fjllrven-handlebar-bag/p/220838?color=361901-220838&searchText=41123-6830

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dog Case posted:

I fully admit that I paid way more than I otherwise would have because I stumbled across the pre-order right when I was frustrated that all the other similar racks I wanted to buy were out of stock everywhere

This thing seems to be sold under a bunch of different brand names and I've never touched one so I can't vouch for quality, but it's cheap and as long as the bracket for the crown bolt cleared your straddle cable it would probably work for the basket+zip tie thing. Maybe just don't load it up with a bunch of heavy stuff. https://a.co/7BVVjUF

Unfortunately most of the better front racks are "handmade in Japan" type stuff and are really expensive compared to all the more common rear racks you can find everywhere.

I hate that the stupid nitto racks have idiotically low max weight specs, because they're so pretty but I just cant justify an expensive, relatively heavy rack that isn't good at being a rack.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:nice:

i just finished the 2 day. the 40 miles of highway in oregon sure does suck

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:nice:

i just finished the 2 day. the 40 miles of highway in oregon sure does suck

At least the shoulder was mostly wide, unlike the bridge’s shoulder. Did the 2 day raiders get the bridge closed for their crossing?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah they closed a lane and we went in groups

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah they closed a lane and we went in groups

Didn’t for us, which was probably the worst part of my day. That shoulder is really gross, tiny, and there are metal slabs that will pinch flat you if you hit them hard enough

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tildes posted:

Can anyone suggest where to look for ebike buying guides? Having to accept that my knees will not allow me to ride an acoustic bike in San Francisco as much as I’d like to.

There's a thread where you could ask for recs based on your parameters. Mostly budget.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thinking about installing Strava to track my bike rides better. How much does the free plan offer nowadays? If it's extremely limited then I'll stick to Bikeometer for now.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Strava free is good for tracking rides and fitness, you mostly pay for social functions and such. See here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917657-Strava-Subscription-Features

Also, you can just use multiple sites. From strava (and loads of other apps) you can manually or automatically export your rides.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Megathread 5:

FogHelmut posted:

It's better in a crash if your brain is thrown clear of the wreckage.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My just turning 2 year old is really into bicycles all of a sudden so I'm looking to take her with me on my bike and maybe get a balance bike for her to start learning. A friend has an old balance bike we can use, but for having her on my bike not sure the best approach and wanted to check. Thinking I'd get a Thule Yepp Next Maxi rack mount to put on my Midnight Special, and then if she likes it maybe pick up a cargo bike so I can keep the midnight special more commuter-y for me. Buuut, I notice that Tubus, who makes my rack, adamantly recommend against putting child seats on it. Thule makes a Yepp rack that gets middling reviews, are there any other suggested options? I've also noticed that the Yuba Kombi is "only" $1200 ha.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I see quite a few people carrying little humans (also small doggies) in those pull-behind bicycle trailers when I'm out and about.

Something like this: InSTEP Quick and Eazy Bicycle Trailer - Orange/ Gray (Double)? Not the exact thing you're looking for, but I do see these out in the wild, and they seem to work.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

powderific posted:

My just turning 2 year old is really into bicycles all of a sudden so I'm looking to take her with me on my bike and maybe get a balance bike for her to start learning. A friend has an old balance bike we can use, but for having her on my bike not sure the best approach and wanted to check. Thinking I'd get a Thule Yepp Next Maxi rack mount to put on my Midnight Special, and then if she likes it maybe pick up a cargo bike so I can keep the midnight special more commuter-y for me. Buuut, I notice that Tubus, who makes my rack, adamantly recommend against putting child seats on it. Thule makes a Yepp rack that gets middling reviews, are there any other suggested options? I've also noticed that the Yuba Kombi is "only" $1200 ha.

I went with a Burley trailer for my just-turned-one-year-old. I had also originally though about seats, but a coworker pointed out how much of a pain in the rear end getting a kid in and out would be, as he had experienced. You’d need a solid kick/centerstand to be able to do it easily without a second person.

I’ve only done a few rides with the trailer but it’s surprisingly easy to ride with. The big downside is the kid’s obviously far behind you and you have to stop and dismount to help them with anything.

In my limited experience I’d say either go trailer or get a dedicated bike for it, likely cargo style with a great center stand.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I am often pulling around giant rear end bicycle trailers and am comfortable handling them. Still I would be nervous putting a my kid in one for anything other than recreational rides.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should clarify that I wouldn't be commuting with her, at least not at this point (maybe once she's in school but daycare is blessedly close enough for her to walk), though ideally I'd be OK doing street riding to the trails instead of loading everything onto a hitch rack to go 1 mile to the MUP. Either way seemed like a bike seat would be easier than a trailer but perhaps I'm wrong? Seems like a trailer would be more exclusively for MUPs. Also was thinking that it'd feel more like being on the bike for her and she might like it more. Does seem a lot easier to put the kid into a trailer though.

It's been a few years and being at the time kid-less I didn't pay total attention, but I seem to recall people ITT or it's previous iterations who did lots of kid+bike stuff preferred the on-bike seat for some reason so that's why I was leaning that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

powderific posted:

Thinking I'd get a Thule Yepp Next Maxi rack mount to put on my Midnight Special, and then if she likes it maybe pick up a cargo bike
Biggest limitation is whether you have enough chainstay to make things fit. Thule recommends you don't put the center of mass of the Maxi less than 100mm behind the rear axle, which means you're limited on how far away you can keep the kid from your saddler.
This is my then 1.5yo (tho pretty big) on a Maxi mounted to Trek FX with 450mm stays:

This is maybe 2" back from the axle, so easier handling but certainly pretttty tight fit.
I went the same progression -- toddler had no complaints about riding on the bike, so upgraded to a much more spacious cargo bike.
Actually, he kept trying to push me off the saddle, which was amusing and slightly annoying.

quote:

Buuut, I notice that Tubus, who makes my rack, adamantly recommend against putting child seats on it. Thule makes a Yepp rack that gets middling reviews, are there any other suggested options?
This is the super jank adapter I made:

It's the top part of a no-name front mini rack with the strut legs cut off. At the front, it's bolted through onto the existing Axiom rack's holes and brake bridge strut.
At the rear, metal zip tied down onto the rack. It's decently secure, and I'm relying on the weight of the seat+toddler to keep it down.
Knowing how it was made definitely dictated what risks I was taking on it. Depending on the width (the Maxi rack-mount seat can only squeeze in so much) and weight limit of your rack, you could get away with it, or maybe you could also use an adapter.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Instagram keeps showing me this thing despite having no children

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I bought a Thule Chariot because it converts between bike trailer and running buggy and saves a bit of money on buying both. I don't think I've done more than 2-3 miles with it on the back of my bike though. I've got a friend who's 3 year old refuses to get in the trailer but is happy enough in a rear seat. He says a dropper post is invaluable for getting on and off with a child on the back. He also recommended trying a Shotgun seat (https://kidsrideshotgun.co.uk/) but there's no way I can make that work with drop bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

tildes posted:

Go test some bikes at The New Wheel. It will give you an idea of what class/assist level you might want