Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/XQ2N9EP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd2nTXsivHs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'll have you know that Crab Style is a very powerful fighting art.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I know posting Vinesauce is cheating, but these get loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7oattcy8Ig

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Do not unmute, unless you like mariachi music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOpgfl9zSvA

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/____potion/status/1547255292483756033

https://twitter.com/____potion/status/1547256029599055877

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat cabbies

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mondays, amirite?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

You get what you pay for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

make fragments non hitscan?

That's actually a very good idea I hadn't thought of. It'd look cooler, too.

The annoying part is that hitscan fragments are very easy to implement, since A_Explode() has a "fire a ring of hitscan shots in addition to, or instead of, the explosion" mode; there's no equivalent for firing a ring of projectiles, so you need to loop around A_SpawnProjectile() (and twiddle the fields of each spawned projectile as needed) instead, in addition to needing sprites for it. It's honestly the sprites that are the hardest part; I've just been using FreeDOOM assets when I can't get away with particle effects, but freedoom doesn't have an appropriate sprite for this.

I think I want to implement this, but I'll defer it to a later version rather than trying to stuff this into v0.7 along with everything else.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hey hey hey it's time for some craaaaazzzzzzzy taxi

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

As funny as this gif is, I'm pretty sure this is just somebody spamming the speed boost key in GTA IV's trainer at just the right moment to make the cab take off like a rocket while Niko's still hanging on to the side. Looks like he's got godmode on too since he doesn't die from impact despite having basically no health. GTA IV did have one of the best easily reproducable glitches of all time in the swing sets thanks to complicated physics modeling somehow failing in the best way possible which this definitely reminds me of.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Idk what this is supposed to be it just looks like a typical day in New York to me? :confused:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ruflux posted:

As funny as this gif is, I'm pretty sure this is just somebody spamming the speed boost key in GTA IV's trainer at just the right moment to make the cab take off like a rocket while Niko's still hanging on to the side. Looks like he's got godmode on too since he doesn't die from impact despite having basically no health. GTA IV did have one of the best easily reproducable glitches of all time in the swing sets thanks to complicated physics modeling somehow failing in the best way possible which this definitely reminds me of.

My friend and I spent hours launching car off of that swing set.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I watched this woman spin for like 6 minutes. I might have a brain problem

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

To be fair it is strangely mesmerizing

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

So that's why this is always blacked out.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ruflux posted:

It's probably the mod/settings file edit that screws with cars grip/friction where they just accelerate out of control all the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTIuA8Dq58

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Slickdrac posted:

It's probably the mod/settings file edit that screws with cars grip/friction where they just accelerate out of control all the time

Lol, there was a cheat for the first Driver game that did something like that, I think it turned NPC vehicle mass and maybe friction way down. I spent so many hours just driving around town creating whole piles of cars tumbling through the air around me, it was a blast.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The gtaIV trainer was the greatest mod ever to grace a pc game

I got it to the point where I could feather the boost button and turn every motorcycle into a fully-controllable jetbike, and it worked online even if the other players didn't have it installed on theirs. I would pick up a friend and go look for passing jumbo jets to land on for hours

For some reason, the saints row games letting you do that out of the box made them a lot less fun

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

flavor.flv posted:

I got it to the point where I could feather the boost button and turn every motorcycle into a fully-controllable jetbike, and it worked online even if the other players didn't have it installed on theirs. I would pick up a friend and go look for passing jumbo jets to land on for hours

For some reason, the saints row games letting you do that out of the box made them a lot less fun

i never played gta4 cause i didn't have a console at the time that it would play on and by the time it came out for PC everyone was talking about how poo poo the story was so i never bothered, but the saints row games fuckin ruled.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

this is also an amazing mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECGWqg85J7s

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I know there's more going on with mods here but honestly the change in the physics from GTA4 to 5 was a huge step down. Is 5 "easier to control"? Sure. But it's not nearly as funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was a net loss either way because gta5 controls for poo poo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Crowbcat did a good video that showed how many corners were cut in 5 compared to 4. I wish they kept the physics of 4.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I remember everything feeling really "heavy" in GTAIV in a way I never felt in other games.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

GTA IV was harder to learn but much more satisfying in my opinion.
Except Romans lovely loving taxi can go gently caress itself, drove that poo poo around way too much.

IIRC they said they had to reduce the complexity of car deformation and physics in V because the additional graphical fidelity. Not a worthwhile trade in my opinion.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GTA IV was better due to this swingset:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Crazy taxi

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Slickdrac posted:

That's like the end of Watch_Dogs Legion with Bagley going berserk.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rockstar prioritizes character animation over player control which is why every Rockstar game looks better than it is and feels like absolute poo poo to play. Tapping a button to run was poo poo back in 2001 and they're still doing it because R* makes their games in a total vacuum and just throw money and human misery at their games to make them look good.

GTA4 had the best Euphoria character physics implementation by far, GTA5 and RDR 1&2 toned it down way too much because of ~*ReALiSm*~ god forbid you have fun playing one of their games the way they didn't intend you to. GTA5 has cheats that support messing around but they're time limited for absolutely no reason.

Rrrrrant over!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stare-Out posted:

Rockstar prioritizes character animation over player control which is why every Rockstar game looks better than it is and feels like absolute poo poo to play. Tapping a button to run was poo poo back in 2001 and they're still doing it because R* makes their games in a total vacuum and just throw money and human misery at their games to make them look good.

GTA4 had the best Euphoria character physics implementation by far, GTA5 and RDR 1&2 toned it down way too much because of ~*ReALiSm*~ god forbid you have fun playing one of their games the way they didn't intend you to. GTA5 has cheats that support messing around but they're time limited for absolutely no reason.

Rrrrrant over!

This is a major problem I have with GTA. You'll be on a mission to kill a guy, there'll be a car chase, but you'll fail the mission if the victim's car explodes. What's the point of a sandbox game that actively punishes creativity?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
The way I read it ages ago summed it up pretty well. When you're doing missions in a Rockstar game, you aren't playing a game. You're trying to play a part in a movie that they wrote and never gave you the script for, but whenever you go off script, they start the cut over.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is a major problem I have with GTA. You'll be on a mission to kill a guy, there'll be a car chase, but you'll fail the mission if the victim's car explodes. What's the point of a sandbox game that actively punishes creativity?

Rant back on: You didn't do it they way they wanted you to, in an open world sandbox game that prides itself on player freedom and is full of despicable characters no rational human being would ever identify with or care about except it's satirical if it was satire written by a 15 year-old. But it sure looks pretty, or did back in 2013 when it came out.

Your example is perfect and I agree with you completely, by the way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stare-Out posted:

Rant back on: You didn't do it they way they wanted you to, in an open world sandbox game that prides itself on player freedom and is full of despicable characters no rational human being would ever identify with or care about except it's satirical if it was satire written by a 15 year-old. But it sure looks pretty, or did back in 2013 when it came out.

Your example is perfect and I agree with you completely, by the way.

The satire has actually grown up and I think the games are worse for it. Not enough dick jokes these days.

(They say, as if there's even been a GTA released in "these days")

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's what the superior series, Saints Row, is for

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I felt great after playing saints row games, like what a ride. GTAV was fun at times but overall made me feel cheated. And I refuse to play the online game.

Rockstar is a company run by miserable bastards and it shows in their games.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I remember in one of the early Saints Row games, you have to chase a guy who drives through a parking garage and makes a jump off the roof. My friend and I were new at the game, so after a couple failed tries we just said gently caress it, stole a bunch of cars & parked them in front of the ramp so the guy we were supposed to chase crashed. That wouldn't fly in GTA lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Carthag Tuek posted:

I remember in one of the early Saints Row games, you have to chase a guy who drives through a parking garage and makes a jump off the roof. My friend and I were new at the game, so after a couple failed tries we just said gently caress it, stole a bunch of cars & parked them in front of the ramp so the guy we were supposed to chase crashed. That wouldn't fly in GTA lol

I was playing Watch Dogs 1 and there's this guy that's scripted to take a runner after you take out all his bodyguards and break into his office. He drives fast as hell and there was no way I was going to catch him with the janky driving in that game...so I stole every armored car in a six-block radius along with a bunch of box trucks and drove them all into the mission start zone, by driving up and diving out before I crossed the border so they would coast in. Then I ran inside the zone, and since I had just triggered the mission it would have normally respawned everything, but since they were already in the zone...I traffic jammed the poo poo of that guy so he had to try to make a break for it on foot because he car would not move.