Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Inner Light posted:

I am in a condo so no outdoor spout unfortunately! Some condo units in my building apparently do not have a master shutoff at all (heard this from a plumber but not sure how true it is), or that a master valve will control water to other units as well. But mine does have one only for my unit.

Then your next best bet is to run the tub spout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Inner Light posted:

I am in a condo so no outdoor spout unfortunately! Some condo units in my building apparently do not have a master shutoff at all (heard this from a plumber but not sure how true it is), or that a master valve will control water to other units as well. But mine does have one only for my unit.

They're supposed to have a shutoff for each unit, but buildings are converted and code inspectors are paid off. The worst condo water losses I've done that weren't fire suppression system failures or triggers (don't use the sprinkler head to hang plants, people) were because no one could find the shutoff & no one had a wrench big enough to turn the building main.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Hey thread! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I bought our first house in 2018, and while I've never been handy, I'm very motivated to take care of this house.

For the last couple years, I've been mostly focused on getting to know the house, landscaping, and basic maintenance. Any work I've had done we hired out for.

But now I'd like to start doing some work on the house myself, where safe and feasible.

First up, the tiniest question possible: I took down some curtain hangers, and they took some of the drywall paper with them. Do I need to do anything to these other than a few coats of paint? (I have an extra gallon of the paint we had our interior painted with, for touch ups like this.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PainterofCrap posted:

They're supposed to have a shutoff for each unit, but buildings are converted and code inspectors are paid off. The worst condo water losses I've done that weren't fire suppression system failures or triggers (don't use the sprinkler head to hang plants, people) were because no one could find the shutoff & no one had a wrench big enough to turn the building main.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf2MGoLDMpG/?hl=en (not my content, from a few days ago)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

CitizenKeen posted:

Hey thread! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife and I bought our first house in 2018, and while I've never been handy, I'm very motivated to take care of this house.

For the last couple years, I've been mostly focused on getting to know the house, landscaping, and basic maintenance. Any work I've had done we hired out for.

But now I'd like to start doing some work on the house myself, where safe and feasible.

First up, the tiniest question possible: I took down some curtain hangers, and they took some of the drywall paper with them. Do I need to do anything to these other than a few coats of paint? (I have an extra gallon of the paint we had our interior painted with, for touch ups like this.)

Depends. If you want to just paint it and leave it you'll probably never notice.

If you want it perfect:
Use a knife to cut off the loose paper.
Mask off the window frame.
Get a can of zinnser shellac primer. Spray the exposed paper. This will seal it and prevent it from possibly bubbling up when you put the wet drywall mud on it.

Use a knife to cut away any loose or crumbling bits around the anchor holes.
Use drywall mud to fill in the anchor holes. Wait for it to set or dry, depending on if you use premix or quick set.

Coat the entire area with mud. Build the mud up enough so that it's level with the wall. Put more pressure on the outside edge of the drywall knife so that the coat of mud is as thin as possible towards the edge.

Sand it flat. Make sure there's no ridges where it meets the rest of the wall. Not sure? Turn off the lights and shine a flashlight at an angle.

Get a spray can of drywall texture. Test it on a piece of cardboard until you're satisfied it matches the wall texture. Spray the texture on.

Prime the wall. Paint the wall. If the paint job is sufficiently old the new paint will never exactly match. If that bothers you, well... paint the whole wall.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 17, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CitizenKeen posted:

How nice is your house, and how finicky are you and the wife? You certainly *could* just paint over them, and a lot of folks would be just fine living with that solution, but it won't look good. None of that's a judgement btw - I wouldn't leave something like that myself, but I definitely don't insist on my walls being absolutely flawless before I paint like some folks. Everyone is gonna have different standards of what bothers them when they're walking through the room.

The correct solution is to take a utility knife and cut off any of the loose paper there, then patch the spots with drywall mud, then find a spray can of texture that approximately matches the texture on that wall, and then paint. You're not likely to perfectly match the texture, but you can get close enough for a couple of small spots.

Edit: I may have been beaten while posting, but at least I offered absolutely no additional helpful information while I was at it]

bred
Oct 24, 2008

loquacius posted:

No luck here -- changed out all three screws on the door side of the hinge for 2.5-inchers (longest the store had), and it's a LITTLE better now, but not 100%. Gonna start googling "how to sand down a door" to see whether it's beyond my pay grade.

Before changing the shape of the door, close it and check the gaps all around. I have some sticky doors that are sagging from bent hinges. I can see in the gaps that the entire door is tilted down and touching at the corner above the latch. The solution is to bend the hinges back. If you pull a pin from one hinge, close the door, and shim it to position for good gaps, then you'll see the hinge lobes are misaligned. Bend them into alignment and install the pin. Check each hinge one at a time. It takes me a few tries. The door probably fit at some point and it is pretty rare that the door or frame moved a lot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was going to suggest using a fresh blade (from your 100 pack) to carefully cut off anything loose. Slap some spackle on there, inch+ off into undamaged paint. Staple some sandpaper to a scrap of 2x4 and knock down the egregious parts. Prime and paint.

Never would I ever bother with texture for something that small and with that much masking to do. gently caress it.

I wouldn't do anything without cutting off the loose paper though. That's step 1 regardless of how half-assed you want to do it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're staying in an under-renovation condo (managed by parents, visiting for 2 weeks) that has all-new fixtures.
The water is cloudy in some places:

Kitchen - hot clear cold clear
Master shower - hot clear cold clear
Master toilet - clear
Master sink - hot cloudy cold clearish
Hall shower - hot clear cold clear
Hall sink - hot cloudy cold clearish
Hall toilet - clear

The new hot water heater was turned on and it's still the same.
What curse is this?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

peanut posted:

We're staying in an under-renovation condo (managed by parents, visiting for 2 weeks) that has all-new fixtures.
The water is cloudy in some places:

Kitchen - hot clear cold clear
Master shower - hot clear cold clear
Master toilet - clear
Master sink - hot cloudy cold clearish
Hall shower - hot clear cold clear
Hall sink - hot cloudy cold clearish
Hall toilet - clear

The new hot water heater was turned on and it's still the same.
What curse is this?
Just to be safe, I'd stick to drinking from the toilets.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is it possible there's just some kind of aerator on the ends of those faucets that is making it look cloudy?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah, does the water stay cloudy if you let it sit in a glass for a while?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been a while, thread!

I just installed a bathroom sink and faucet for the first time. It's a vessel so it was pretty easy.

The hard part was that the "handyman" that owned this house before decided that when installing the old sink between every layer (between each coupling/gasket) needed silicone caulk.
He even put about two inches of it around the portion of the drain that went through the counter. I had to dig it out with needlenose pliers.
But before that was a tasteful smattering of expanding foam.

I'm no expert but the more of this garbage I have to fix, the better I feel about my general intelligence.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes, the water is beige. What kind of aerator would affect hot but not cold?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Could it be that the hot water is dissolving built up solids on the aerator and cold water isn't ?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Last October we bought a "cabin" in the middle of nowhere. I put quotes around it because it isn't exactly a deer camp cabin (even though that's what the PO used it for). It was a modular built in 2005 and has power, well, and septic, none of which are guarantees for cabins around here. It is on 40 acres and surrounded by private and state land.

The house seemed to be solid and in his repair but definitely had the "used as a deer camp" vibe.

List of things we have done so far:
-Repainted the entire interior (so many deer heads on the wall that has leaked their 'juices' onto said wall)
-Installed tile backsplash in the kitchen (it had been painted particle board)
-Installed another 220 breaker and circuit
-Installed vent and dryer (weirdly, there was a washer in the bathroom already with enough room for a dryer but no 220 for one and no vent, but their was an existing dryer was out in a shed, with power and vent)
-New curtains and blinds
-Installed water filter tap
-New kitchen faucet
-installed garbage disposal and 18" dishwasher
-Dug new fire pit (that's what part of that 10 cy pile of gravel in the picture is for, the rest is to patch some holes in the "road" to the house)
-A couple new light fixtures

Future plans:
-Install wood stove
-Convert the former dryer shed into a sauna
-Finish the closets

Kitchen as it stands now:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

nadmonk posted:

Last October we bought a "cabin" in the middle of nowhere. I put quotes around it because it isn't exactly a deer camp cabin (even though that's what the PO used it for). It was a modular built in 2005 and has power, well, and septic, none of which are guarantees for cabins around here. It is on 40 acres and surrounded by private and state land.

The house seemed to be solid and in his repair but definitely had the "used as a deer camp" vibe.

-Repainted the entire interior (so many deer heads on the wall that has leaked their 'juices' onto said wall)
-Installed vent and dryer (weirdly, there was a washer in the bathroom already with enough room for a dryer but no 220 for one and no vent, but their was an existing dryer was out in a shed, with power and vent)
-New curtains and blinds
-New kitchen faucet
-Dug new fire pit (that's what part of that 10 cy pile of gravel in the picture is for, the rest is to patch some holes in the "road" to the house)

Future plans:
-Install wood stove
-Finish the closets

Start a thread please, I need to see some before pictures

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

peanut posted:

Yes, the water is beige. What kind of aerator would affect hot but not cold?

If you have iron in the water it will show up when warm and agitated / aerated.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That could be it.

I let a cup settle and it looked clear but still tastes chalky.
Feeling kinda weird about mircobubbles rn.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

nadmonk posted:

Very jealous of the comfortable working height on that peninsula.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nadmonk posted:

-New curtains and blinds
-New kitchen faucet

Future plans:
-Install wood stove
-Finish the closets

It's very cute. I really like that accent wall, is it paper or tile? And where did you get those standing mats, I only ever see the ugly solid colored ones.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I saw one or two replies here but to drive this home - microwave guts will not hesitate to kill you even if unplugged for a month.

Warranty, repair shop, or replacement. If it's freestanding skip repair, they make replacement microwaves for almost no money. Even doubling or triple the no money ones will get you something very nice. Repair is going to cost you $150 just to get someone to look at it.

There's a lot of ways microwave door switches can fail and cause funky behavior (in my case, tripping the breaker or running endlessly) and you can often fix those for a few bucks without getting anywhere near the capacitor. On my microwave I just had to take the front panel off.

I also had a failure like the OP described and fixed it by unplugging the microwave for a few minutes and plugging it back in.

In my case my microwave was part of a matching set and not really available to purchase so I was highly motivated to fix it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's a lot of ways microwave door switches can fail and cause funky behavior (in my case, tripping the breaker or running endlessly) and you can often fix those for a few bucks without getting anywhere near the capacitor. On my microwave I just had to take the front panel off.

I also had a failure like the OP described and fixed it by unplugging the microwave for a few minutes and plugging it back in.

In my case my microwave was part of a matching set and not really available to purchase so I was highly motivated to fix it.

I think it's mostly a matter of, if you were comfortable enough doing that level of fix on your microwave you're probably not asking for advice here. If someone is looking for pointers here on their microwave they probably don't know what a capacitor looks like etc. Not trying to poo poo on anyone.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Vim Fuego posted:

Good words

Slugworth posted:

Ninja'd good words

H110Hawk posted:

Simple solution
Thank you all! This is why I come to this thread. The scrapes in question are above doorless closets in a dimly lit hallway, so I'll skip the texture.

Our house has pretty good bones, but every aesthetic is either untouched since the house was built in '79, or was DIY'd poorly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, the control board sounded failed or failing (no light no clock) and that's going to have a direct wire to the hv transformer relay. If you are competent at repairing those things knock yourself out. If our intrepid poster wants to go deeper we can look at it but I won't be walking someone through how to mess with that much power. Like loving with utility service lines or crt caps. Just gonna be a no from me.

If taking a piece of plastic off and regluing something also plastic solves it, sure.

Speaking of which my microwave door handle came clean off today. :suicide: Thankfully it looks like some e6000 will solve it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is kind of home ownership related but does anyone know of a short-term-rental/Airbnb thread on the forum that has pros and cons of them being in an area? My city is considering allowing them (they are technically not allowed currently but it's not enforced much) and I'm in the "gently caress em" camp but I honestly don't know much about them and would like to have a more informed opinion.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

This is kind of home ownership related but does anyone know of a short-term-rental/Airbnb thread on the forum that has pros and cons of them being in an area? My city is considering allowing them (they are technically not allowed currently but it's not enforced much) and I'm in the "gently caress em" camp but I honestly don't know much about them and would like to have a more informed opinion.
I can't see any upside to having 1-11 potentially very drunk strangers occasionally randomly staying next door. Maybe your neighbor makes some extra money and fixes up their house or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's mostly a matter of, if you were comfortable enough doing that level of fix on your microwave you're probably not asking for advice here. If someone is looking for pointers here on their microwave they probably don't know what a capacitor looks like etc. Not trying to poo poo on anyone.

Yeah, it's this. Sometimes just asking the question is enough for those who know how to do the thing to tell you you're much to far away from a level of understanding to be able to safely tackle "this one job".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Basically the only pros are increased tourism revenue through either people staying in those places spending dollars from out of town and occupancy taxes. The drawbacks are decreased housing stock in otherwise residential zoned neighborhoods driving up prices for individuals looking to purchase or rent a place to live. People being loud (etc) next door despite you not getting any tangible benefit, and a generally icky feeling of supporting companies that grew through ignoring or subverting laws.

Now if your town is going to refuse to enforce it regardless you might as well try to make the taxes as high as humanly possible and the barrier to entry insane. You can also show up to every single city counsel meeting and register to complain about AirBnB allowing rentals in side your town. Make sure to bring up to date listings per meeting.

This is more BFC or DND though. :v:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

H110Hawk posted:

This is more BFC or DND though. :v:

Define, please?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Define, please?

This is the diy forum, most of what I said is bfc (taxes, lack of direct compensation despite direct impact) or politics (housing policy, corporate structures that reward scoff laws, municipalities that reward scoff laws.) That's it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for all the microwave chat. I decided to just get a new one. Recommendations? I don’t need any features besides “turns on”

Standard dimensions (from what I can tell) - 30x16x15

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Harriet Carker posted:

Thanks for all the microwave chat. I decided to just get a new one. Recommendations? I don’t need any features besides “turns on”

Standard dimensions (from what I can tell) - 30x16x15

I buy microwaves 2nd hand for $10 or $20 and then don’t feel bad when they break. I can’t stand all the packaging that comes with small appliances

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

H110Hawk posted:

This is the diy forum, most of what I said is bfc (taxes, lack of direct compensation despite direct impact) or politics (housing policy, corporate structures that reward scoff laws, municipalities that reward scoff laws.) That's it.

Sorry, I’m just beginning to venture out beyond Trad Games despite being a goon for over a decade. What’s BFC and DND? Are they forums?

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Sorry, I’m just beginning to venture out beyond Trad Games despite being a goon for over a decade. What’s BFC and DND? Are they forums?

Yeah they are other SA forums. Business, Finance, Careers and Debate and Discussion.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

panasonic NE-1054F

You can turn off beeps, bunch of preset time buttons, no rotating plate makes it easier to clean.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tezer posted:

panasonic NE-1054F

You can turn off beeps, bunch of preset time buttons, no rotating plate makes it easier to clean.

Oh, you mean the IED maker?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

lol, going to have to explain that one to me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I thought that the I stands for improvised as in not made for that purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a thread or opinions here about home automation?

I'd love to have voice activated stuff that isn't connected to the internet and not always listening.

Like a little fob I could carry and was only active when you press a button.

Or even blinds you can schedule and poo poo like that.