Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

luchadornado posted:

This is like the worst possible combo.. why?

A lot of lefties learn on their older siblings guitar or whatever is sitting around and just never relearn once they've got into it. My drummer plays guitar lefty-righty like that, and he also drums open handed on a righty kit (hat on left and snare on right).

It's mostly just a combination of 'self taught' and 'not many lefty guitars around' inertia. Plus people hate it when you rearrange a shared drum kit to lefty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

luchadornado posted:

This is like the worst possible combo.. why?

For some reason I didn't really talk to the guy (I played bass and bonded with the bass player over his Rick copy (very cool, but also felt instantly bad and wrong in my hands)), so I didn't really ask him. But the way I see it, he would be able to play most guitars straight away while still keeping his dominant hand picking, so not a bad deal. I don't know how hard the shapes are, but I don't think they're intrinsically harder, just different.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Clarence posted:

The Yamaha mentioned a couple of pages ago seems like something that might suit me. I pretty much want to be able to pick up guitar, push button and play. No faffing about with wires and cables. Bluetooth input and being able to output to a PC is a bonus.

Similar things seem to be the Katana Air and Vox Adio Air.

All these seem to be a few years old now - how often do they release new models? It'd be just typical for me to pick one up and then something better comes out a month later.

The first generation of the Yamaha THR10 apparently came out in 2013, and the second generation (THR10II) came out near the end of 2019. It will probably be a while before they release a new model. Besides, if you get one of the current models and it has all of the features and sounds that you want, I don't see any reason to not stick with it even if a new model comes out. I'm still using a first gen THR10 and it completely fits my needs, haven't felt the need to upgrade even after the second gen came out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I have a THR10x and my only real issue versus the ii is that I'm limited with cab options , and overall I wish it had a loop I could put most of my pedalboard through. Usually I'm using it without a board though, so not a huge issue.

BonHair posted:

Rick copy (very cool, but also felt instantly bad and wrong in my hands)

Yeah, that was my experience as well. Rick basses look sick as gently caress but I bounced extremely hard off them after trying one.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
hey if i bought a guitar from a thrift store and it cuts out sometimes, and i can wiggle the cable to get it to come back sometimes, but i can't get the pattern to repeat consistently, how do i repair that?

i took the back panel off and i pulled the plug hole (?) out and nothing looked immediately suspect, all the solder joints were solid, the plug seats firmly and none of the wires seemed like they were crossing that weren't supposed to.

the only complication i can think of is that there's some kind of onboard preamp circuit, the guitar has a 9 volt battery that powers its own lil baby distortion. is there an easy sort of troubleshooting path or should i just take it to a guy? i can solder and do basic component replacement without any fear.

this is the guitar, I've got the onboard synth coming and I'm excited to get as stupid as possible

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Have you tried multiple cables? Bending the contact part of the plug of the guitar in very slightly to ensure contact?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
multiple cables yes, bending the part of the guitar where the plug goes is was tricky because it's shrouded and the wires are all real short

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

pretty sure a lot of this dry frine is in places that are hard to clean because the frets are so high and weird. ugh!

i am such a clown i spent so much money on this stupid guitar

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What is "frine?" i've never used that word before but it sounds very explanatory for what you're describing

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

What is "frine?" i've never used that word before but it sounds very explanatory for what you're describing

fret polish

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Like on the playing surface or on the sides where the fret ends are visible on the neck?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

Like on the playing surface or on the sides where the fret ends are visible on the neck?

not where fret ends are visible but like the sides of the frets themselves.

i was trying to use toothpicks lightly to clean it all up, idk

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

LG that is rough and I hope you get it somewhere that makes you feel happier with it soon. I have definitely been in the position of feeling regret for an attempted DIY fix, even fairly recently. In related news I would not recommend using nail polish as a method of finish repair as some luthiers will actually hang up on you when you mention it once you are trying to get someone to unfuck your gently caress (but you might find one eventually who is cool about it, and does not begrudge a dumbass for dumbassery, thank goodness)

On the positive side I did make a new luthier pal who is real good at fixing guitar poo poo in general and I'm sending my guitars to him in a gradual parade to get them all in good shape now :3: I've been setting up my guitars since the 2000s and never got in my way of recording but he put one in such shape as I have never had any of mine, not even close really, superb intonation and perfect action with great nut alignment and height, frets feel awesome all around - and now I look forward to getting all of 'em like that. Might never have met the dude if I didn't gently caress up fixing a guitar I hosed up keeping in good shape to begin with, sometimes all it takes is a series of fuckups to get on the right track.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh no the toothpicks did a good job of cleaning some of it out... was just worreid it'd scratch the frets (though toothpicks are pretty soft).

there's just some of it i can't even get out with such a fine little point, though, which makes it feel like the frets should've maybe been glued in better idk!!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
well i took it all apart again and inspected all the bits and pried the cable retention guy in a little closer and it was still crapping out, so i replaced the battery and of course now everything works the way it's supposed to

partially related: holy poo poo everybody go out and buy an Ibanez with an active pickup and shred your face off, this thing rules so hard

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

oh no the toothpicks did a good job of cleaning some of it out... was just worreid it'd scratch the frets (though toothpicks are pretty soft).

there's just some of it i can't even get out with such a fine little point, though, which makes it feel like the frets should've maybe been glued in better idk!!
god if you were near my tech all of this would get fixed under normal rates

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

muike posted:

god if you were near my tech all of this would get fixed under normal rates

honestly already working on it.

i have some other stuff that i've been putting off getting fixed (goofy wiring, poor shielding, non-matching back plate thing lol, goofy pots) so next time i have some money i'm going to get all the stuff and then find a good capital L Luthier in my nearest Metro Area and see if they can do everything.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you bought a new Fender from 2013-2019 you might be able to get involved in a class action law suit due to price fixing.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-class-action-lawsuit

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang. That's some right hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ338FMxvRI

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
*laughs in hetfield (also adds a yea-huh)*

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTo1B7ceIWo

Funk rhythm is so crazy. I can't do it save my life.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

*laughs in hetfield (also adds a yea-huh)*

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I heard hetfield doesent do the yeahhhs so much these days cause he got self conscious about people making fun of it which is v sad if true

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sad if truuuuueeee

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

fuuuuuck I gotta chase a noise problem and troubleshoot my pedal board noooooooo

rebuild it one by one til something starts squealing, this is gonna blow big time

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If the issue's just that something's not working somewhere in there, divide it in half. If you've got 8 pedals, plug into the first and run from the 4th one to your amp. If that checks out, plug in to the 5th and run the 8th to your amp. If those both work try swapping the patch cable between the 4th and 5th.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It all works, there's just a high pitched noise that works its way into anything with gain. Not, like, expected "white noise that increases in audibility as gain is applied," rather distinct high pitched tones that are obnoxious at lower gain and ruinous at higher gain. Just showed up after making some changes that should not have caused any problems, but undoing those changes doesn't seem to fix it. Ooooh yeaaaahh!!!

And an NS-2 doesn't help, actually it becomes its own dramatically squealing noise source. The pitch changes as pedals are engaged. Power? Could be, got some daisy chains going on, going to have to troubleshoot that. Cables? Could be, maybe there's a ground issue happening, going to have to troubleshoot that. Impedance relationships between pedals? Who knows, gonna find out though. Going back to nothing then putting them in one by one until the bad thing happens, and then going from there to try to figure out a solution.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 18, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of the time I've found that comes from a lovely patch cable, usually a bad connection between plug and jack.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Definitely possible, might have had one fail moving stuff on and off. If it is internal to a pedal though gonna be trial and error to find it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

telecaster nut worn to poo poo. still playable but needs to be replaced.

how easy/expensive is that to have done?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A graphtech TUSQ slotted nut is like $15 and an upgrade. Install should be fairly cheap if you don't want to do it yourself, you could probably have it done with a setup for a nominal fee.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

A graphtech TUSQ slotted nut is like $15 and an upgrade. Install should be fairly cheap if you don't want to do it yourself, you could probably have it done with a setup for a nominal fee.

oh sick.

thinking of that + a not-lovely input jack + a better string tree (the one on it atm is this awful vintage style one that always comes loose with every re-string and it’s infuriating) for the holy trinity of “cheap mods that drastically improve your life”

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did you get straplocks?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you get straplocks?

i've always just used the cheap rubber blocks actually

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
eh close enough.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

telecaster nut worn to poo poo. still playable but needs to be replaced.

how easy/expensive is that to have done?

As has been stated, the slot in replacement is cheap. As for how easy: Can you put two drops of superglue roughly where you want?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

As has been stated, the slot in replacement is cheap. As for how easy: Can you put two drops of superglue roughly where you want?

Eh she might have to position the nut properly and file some of the slots and that's a whole nother afternoon of e/n

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I wouldn't use superglue for that, might damage the wood next time it needs to be removed and nuts don't last forever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Would cheap, schoolyard PVA be good enough to hold the nut in place or would you need the fancier wood oriented PVA for it to hold well and still be easily replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Save yourself/other future techs some grief later and use a tiny drop of Elmers to secure your nuts. The strings hold em in place 99.999 percent of the time, the glue is just to keep the nut from flopping off if you take all the strings off. No need for super strong glue.