Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I know the viva las vegas guide says not to use ENBs, but say I was going to use one anyway, ya'll got any recommendations?

none of us remember how to mod this game on our own anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ones built to work with the Realistic Wasteland Lighting mod are rather nice. I think it's called Onix? Not Oxide, that one just cranks up the contrast and saturation too far.

Other people like the 47 ENB because it comes with its own weather mod but that one, regardless of filters, has this weird blue tinge to it and it consistently breaks the sky box in Honest Hearts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone needs to make mod with accurate Lake Mead water: there is now more water in New Vegas than in real life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't that just the DUST mod where Lake Mead has been completely drained and the Courier is a psychotic ghoul living in a booby trapped cave?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arc Hammer posted:

Isn't that just the DUST mod where Lake Mead has been completely drained and the Courier is a psychotic ghoul living in a booby trapped cave?

We're getting there!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone needs to make mod with accurate Lake Mead water: there is now more water in New Vegas than in real life.

That would make sense, since the nuclear war in Fallout happened hundreds of years ago and there hasn't been a functional automobile or much of any other industry since then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You have a car in 2

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That would make sense, since the nuclear war in Fallout happened hundreds of years ago and there hasn't been a functional automobile or much of any other industry since then.

I think that could be due to that Brahmin pulling your cart is just too convenient compared to scavenging or making the parts to make a car. Especially 'now' with the Brahmin Barons running the show, brahmins are practically subsidised.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just want to thank this thread for existing, otherwise I'd have never gotten NV to work

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

You have a car in 2

Nuclear powered though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jamie Faith posted:

I know the viva las vegas guide says not to use ENBs, but say I was going to use one anyway, ya'll got any recommendations?

Yeah: Don't.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

You have a car in 2

I think the military trucks that appear around NCR bases are supposed to be functional lorewise they just aren’t in game bc lmao a functional gamebryo vehicle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey the Frontier made it work lol

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I think the military trucks that appear around NCR bases are supposed to be functional lorewise they just aren’t in game bc lmao a functional gamebryo vehicle

there were horses in Oblivion for fucks sake. 4 modern Fallouts and 0 motorcycles. Such wasted potential for 1.99 bike armor DLC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

Hey the Frontier made it work lol

Did Xilandro ever release the standalone version of the Dune buggy mod?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arc Hammer posted:

Did Xilandro ever release the standalone version of the Dune buggy mod?

He lives in Ukraine so I think he's been busy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say so. He's probably building those technicals that are mounting rocket tubes in the back.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I sincerely don't get it. :confused:

I think ENBs are dumb and far more effort than they're worth.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Isn't the version of ENB for New Vegas specifically undercooked, or has Boris given it some more attention in the last six years or so? I remember that for a long time the download page came with a specific disclaimer that it was feature-light because he didn't really care about the game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

I sincerely don't get it. :confused:

I think ENBs are dumb and far more effort than they're worth.

yea its more so the way u phrased it more than anything lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Isn't the version of ENB for New Vegas specifically undercooked, or has Boris given it some more attention in the last six years or so? I remember that for a long time the download page came with a specific disclaimer that it was feature-light because he didn't really care about the game.

I don't get ENBs, why is there just one guy on Earth who can do them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can do some similar stuff with ReShade. Idk if it's been fixed yet, but one of the newer versions screwed up compatibility with NV, however.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The main appeal for me with ENBs is that they make the game sky much brighter and the terrain looks like the sun is illuminating it. The base game and even weather mods that change the sky box still can't simulate cascading light effects, so the ENB shaders are a decent workaround for the flat lighting of the vanilla game.

The visual mod I'm most interested in is that one called Redone (or Reloaded, I think) which is working on simulating light and shadows as well as improved water effects. Something like that would go a long way to giving new vegas better image depth.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dongicus posted:

yea its more so the way u phrased it more than anything lol

I understood the intent, I didn't get the reference. I figured the picture was something like :goonsay:, I just don't know where it's from. :shobon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some wojack Reddit le epic meme bullshit. Not worth knowing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
for nv I always just used uhh...I forget the name. imaginator or something? it lets you mess with color saturation and such in game, it's nice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every ENB I've ever used had the exact same effect - make half the scenes pitch black and the other half eye searingly overexposed.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The main appeal for me with ENBs is that they make the game sky much brighter and the terrain looks like the sun is illuminating it. The base game and even weather mods that change the sky box still can't simulate cascading light effects, so the ENB shaders are a decent workaround for the flat lighting of the vanilla game.

The visual mod I'm most interested in is that one called Redone (or Reloaded, I think) which is working on simulating light and shadows as well as improved water effects. Something like that would go a long way to giving new vegas better image depth.

enb doesn’t work properly in new vegas, not as in it just looks like blurry dogshit which most skyrim presets do, as in it’s literally unfinished technically and doesn’t work properly. it’s not nice to play with.

nonetheless, i agree that the vanilla lighting looks flat, especially with mods that remove the piss-tint (personally i think it’s under appreciated how much the tint adds to the visual cohesion of the game).

therefore, use this reshade preset: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71772

see: visual mods to avoid in this link https://vivanewvegas.github.io/avoid-mods.html

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 25, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also enb completely breaks all overlays which means that the game can never fade to black and things like nightvision just doesn’t work

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

There's also new Vegas reloaded, which is supposed to be better enb. Dunno if it's been updated recently at all or not though.

Really though I'd recommend reshade

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bogart posted:

lmfao

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bogart posted:

Time to button mash!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A very cool and not deranged thing to reply.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I don't get ENBs, why is there just one guy on Earth who can do them?
I think it's not that only one person can create them, it's that the tool is a one-man project.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
ENB isn't the only post-processing injection tool out there. SweetFX or Reshade do similar things for example. ENB is sort of unique in that other tools are generic and work for multiple games, while each ENB binary is custom tailored to a specific game. To do that you have to be a batshit insane Russian, I guess. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

isn’t boris also a whackjob who at least used to believe that there was no reason to use a 64 bit operating system and therefore refused to support it among other things?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
To quote myself from this very thread, too many years ago:
He exemplifies Russia's institutionalized racism and bigotry every time he talks about something other than ENB, and oftentimes when also talking about ENB.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Apparently he's enormously homophobic, too. An all around piece of poo poo.

TBH I sometimes think the only reason anyone still uses ENBs is that they were one of the earliest kinds of postprocessing injector, so a lot of people cut their teeth on them and never wanted to transition to something else. These days, I would strongly suggest people just use ReShade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Anyone out there have experience with both of these? Can't use both, and the only way I'd know who did a better job with placement would be to look it up and spoil myself.

Rewarding Exploring - Unique Places for Unique Weapons
GRA Unique Weapons Relocated