Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gramps posted:

Save yourself/other future techs some grief later and use a tiny drop of Elmers to secure your nuts. The strings hold em in place 99.999 percent of the time, the glue is just to keep the nut from flopping off if you take all the strings off. No need for super strong glue.

lol answered my question for me.

It's so surprising to me just how many hobby and craft recipes/fixes use elmer's glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy I sprung $100 for a set of stewmac files (in 10). It's let me really dial in and experiment on a couple of mine, and the times I've messed it up it's just $10 to try again (or a veneer shim, or a filler). It's good and fun to learn to do stuff so long as your brain will allow you to be happy with work you've done yourself.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

lol answered my question for me.

It's so surprising to me just how many hobby and craft recipes/fixes use elmer's glue.

Also, PVA is stronger than the wood in most cases. So the wood breaks before the glue.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i would try it myself actually because it seems pretty simple (and i’d get a pre-cut one) but on this telecaster it’s very very glued in, from the factory. probably going to require some heat and not just careful force.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I agree with Gramps - the nut barely needs held on if installed correctly. I had a guitar with an unglued nut for a while, never gave me trouble when strung and I change strings one at a time unless I'm oiling the fretboard so it was rarely disturbed.

On my noise issue, rebuilding my board is going well so far, getting some stuff moved to better spots in my chain and making sure the squealing is absent as I go. Building within the NS-2 loop and checking it bypassed and activated along the way. My god drat Morley switchless wah has a thump when it engages - I thought the switchless optical circuitry and buffer were supposed to prevent that but NO. However it is pretty low signal level, only noticeable when amplified by high gain really, so now it's in the NS-2 loop first to keep it from bothering me.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

I wouldn't use superglue for that, might damage the wood next time it needs to be removed and nuts don't last forever.

that's why you only use two little drops.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

I'm happy I sprung $100 for a set of stewmac files (in 10). It's let me really dial in and experiment on a couple of mine, and the times I've messed it up it's just $10 to try again (or a veneer shim, or a filler). It's good and fun to learn to do stuff so long as your brain will allow you to be happy with work you've done yourself.

i could eventually be happy with work done myself i think, i mean, i’ve gotten there with music after long enough, it’s more that i don’t really have anyone to actually teach me the stuff, or answer questions, or provide the experience/wisdom that makes everything go smoother from the beginning.

i will eventually try soldering again but i’m going to do the smart thing and get a soldering iron where i can actually control the temperature, so i don’t cook parts before i figure out how to melt the solder.

and it’s all kinda low priority for me compared to “write great music”, “practice singing, “practice piano”, and “move out” and “transition further” so like the wiring just kind of has to take a back seat for now

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Lumpy posted:

that's why you only use two little drops.

Better to use something else water soluble and still also use very little. Superglue isn't a good choice there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Super glue is good for when you knock out a strip of the headstock trying to get the previously super glued nut out though

And for when you file the new nut down too much and need to refill the slot a bit

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

superglue on nuts can take chunks of wood with it when you knock the nut loose to reshape or replace it, elmers pops off clean. Ask me if I learned the hard way (on a customer's guitar no less).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I only ever put white glue on my nuts, personally

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Some of them are set up for a smaller radius and you need to file the bottom a bit to make it fit your neck, fyi

muike posted:

I only ever put white glue on my nuts, personally

Just use wax next time, friend

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

Better to use something else water soluble and still also use very little. Superglue isn't a good choice there.

Guess that Dan Erlewine must not know what he's doing then.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Lumpy posted:

That's why he's no longer our huckleberry.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lumpy posted:

They use titebond here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7LtmdOrFw

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Do whatever you want to your guitars, man. I think it's a swell idea not to damage the wood under the nut for no reason. Maybe that doesn't happen with a really super small amount, but I'm not personally going to be finding out.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 19, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
He doesn't recommend super glue for wood. Usually he will use titebond or something like hide glue or fish glue as adhesives.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

After watching that video it seems pretty clear to me that Dan is a smart fella, and I'm taking a break from rebuilding my pedal board to get rid of noise and had a minute. Turns out Google Books has his 1994 guitar repair guide "Guitar Player Repair Guide." Here's what he wrote there, page 224:

quote:

"If the final fitting meets your approval, glue the nut into place using a couple light dabs of hide glue or white glue. I don't use super glue here, because its instant setting time won't allow you to move the nut from side to side when lining it up."

Lumpy, does that clear the air? Are we cool on the topic of nut glues now? Use what you prefer, in the end, if you've had good luck with superglue that's cool man but I'm gonna keep not using it personally.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

guess i'll be the one to jump on the grenade here... ugh, i hate this.

my nut glue started coming out clear around week 2. significantly weaker, huge relief.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You should read that book cover to cover imo. Actually everyone should. There's a bunch of really useful little tricks and tips.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

^^^^ check it out, it's a bass cock

Rebuild killed the squeals! Nice and quiet in my pedals prior to the amp. I was able to rearrange them to get things to flow better as far as stacking goes, way cleaner as far as routing cables and power now. I was able to simplify the power situation and reduce the number of power supplies in use while fixing the noise! :holy:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

After watching that video it seems pretty clear to me that Dan is a smart fella, and I'm taking a break from rebuilding my pedal board to get rid of noise and had a minute. Turns out Google Books has his 1994 guitar repair guide "Guitar Player Repair Guide." Here's what he wrote there, page 224:

Lumpy, does that clear the air? Are we cool on the topic of nut glues now? Use what you prefer, in the end, if you've had good luck with superglue that's cool man but I'm gonna keep not using it personally.

Yeah, use whatever you want. Note that he doesn't mention damaging the wood as the reason not to use it though, but the longer working time is definitely a point in favor of using Elmer's / titebond, etc. But from now on I solemnly swear to never recommend two tiny drops of superglue to anyone else.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's all I could ever ask, thank you Lumpy, thank you

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 19, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So, I've recently moved on to improvising to backing tracks to put the scales I've practiced to use, and it sounds cool and musical, but there's an element of "random bullshit go!" to it. How do I move towards a bit more intentionality when improvising over just loving around in that key?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Follow the chord progression modally? Instead of just sitting in a box like a rowdy hockey player you'll hop around the board more.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Follow the chord progression modally? Instead of just sitting in a box like a rowdy hockey player you'll hop around the board more.

Sorry if I sound dumb (or should take this to the theory thread), you mean if the progression was say Dm, F, Am, I'd play notes from each of those scales rather than just D minor? Or I should think about what notes spell those chords within D minor and base any riffing off of that?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Disco Pope posted:

Sorry if I sound dumb (or should take this to the theory thread), you mean if the progression was say Dm, F, Am, I'd play notes from each of those scales rather than just D minor?

Pretty much, just a little more involved.

So you'd play the relative mode of each chord, so Dm is your root mode which you'll play D aeolian, then F you can play F major (Ionian) and Am you can play A Phrygian.

Literally it's as if you took Dm and filled out every note on the board that's in Dm, and just solo'd in d minor the whole time, but actually you're accenting the root of the chord. It's a fun technique to teach the whole board and get out of the boxes.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pretty much, just a little more involved.

So you'd play the relative mode of each chord, so Dm is your root mode which you'll play D aeolian, then F you can play F major (Ionian) and Am you can play A Phrygian.

Literally it's as if you took Dm and filled out every note on the board that's in Dm, and just solo'd in d minor the whole time, but actually you're accenting the root of the chord. It's a fun technique to teach the whole board and get out of the boxes.

Awesome! I'm not quite there yet, but a dim light bulb flickered for me. The anxiety about settling into blues dad riffing is real. Thanks!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/uk-retailers-told-200-stolen-prs-guitars/

quote:

UK retailers told to be on the lookout for more than 200 stolen PRS guitars

Musical instrument retailers in the UK have been told to be on the lookout for 222 stolen PRS guitars, which were taken from a vehicle on its way to retailers in Germany.
The stolen guitars’ value totals over £300,000. They include a range of PRS models, which were being shipped from the brand’s Europe headquarters located in Cambridge, UK, to Germany.

According to MI Trade news, some of the stolen guitars have apparently been offered to retailers in the UK, and one has also appeared for sale on Facebook Marketplace.

PRS’ Gavin Mortimer told MI Trade News that the alleged thief had knowledge of the different models, and focused on the most valuable – including a number of the high-end Private Stock guitars. A UK retailer has also reportedly told PRS that a “suspicious character” has tried to sell them two PRS guitars, which they declined.

Mortimer added: “Naturally, the police are involved and we would really appreciate a call to Essex Police from anyone offered a late 2021 or 2022 PRS that appears on [the list of stolen instruments].”

That full list of guitars that were stolen can be found here. Those with any information regarding the crime have been encouraged to contact Essex Police at resolution.centre@essex.police.uk, citing the reference “42/181904/22”.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

So, I've recently moved on to improvising to backing tracks to put the scales I've practiced to use, and it sounds cool and musical, but there's an element of "random bullshit go!" to it. How do I move towards a bit more intentionality when improvising over just loving around in that key?

I'm also very much at this stage, but aside from the very good advice about following the chords, the thing that has made my noodling sound more like real music is repetition. Just playing the same thing twice or more, either just right after each other or with some other stuff between. You can even do variations on your little motif. It makes it sound a lot more planned and cool and less like you're just playing more or less random notes in a scale (which we are).

I even had some luck combining it with chord changes, take your motif and play the same scale degrees in the relative scale. For example, in A minor, I'll play something like "A C E F" over am, but when it goes to dm, I'll play "D F A B", which is kind of the same, but because of the mode change, the minor six becomes a major six.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BonHair posted:

I'm also very much at this stage, but aside from the very good advice about following the chords, the thing that has made my noodling sound more like real music is repetition. Just playing the same thing twice or more, either just right after each other or with some other stuff between. You can even do variations on your little motif. It makes it sound a lot more planned and cool and less like you're just playing more or less random notes in a scale (which we are).

I even had some luck combining it with chord changes, take your motif and play the same scale degrees in the relative scale. For example, in A minor, I'll play something like "A C E F" over am, but when it goes to dm, I'll play "D F A B", which is kind of the same, but because of the mode change, the minor six becomes a major six.

Cool! This is quite exciting. I've gone from "Man, I'll never master this instrument" to "Wow! I'll never master this instrument!"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Agreed posted:

That's all I could ever ask, thank you Lumpy, thank you

:black101::respek::black101:

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

some thoughts:
  • as the chords change, emphasize the chord tones of each chord - this means playing them on strong beats, or with longer notes
  • sing what you play. ideally you should be hearing what you're going to play in your mind before you play it. this helps develop that skill
  • singing will also help you play more melodically
  • avoid playing too many chord roots - other chord and tones have a richer sound than the root, which will usually be played by the bass or piano
  • vary your rhythm as much as possible
  • place accents in different spots - first on strong beats, then on 8th note offbeats. mix and match as much as possible. try playing a single pitch, and use rhythm and accents to keep it interesting
lots more you could try, but that's a start. singing what you play is extremely important for developing more melodic improvising

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

some thoughts:
  • as the chords change, emphasize the chord tones of each chord - this means playing them on strong beats, or with longer notes
  • sing what you play. ideally you should be hearing what you're going to play in your mind before you play it. this helps develop that skill
  • singing will also help you play more melodically
  • avoid playing too many chord roots - other chord and tones have a richer sound than the root, which will usually be played by the bass or piano
  • vary your rhythm as much as possible
  • place accents in different spots - first on strong beats, then on 8th note offbeats. mix and match as much as possible. try playing a single pitch, and use rhythm and accents to keep it interesting
lots more you could try, but that's a start. singing what you play is extremely important for developing more melodic improvising
This is some great advice! Things that have helped me the most have been:
- singing a line out to get at least a small idea that sounds good, even if it's surrounded by more noodley stuff
- emphasizing the chord tones to really clarify that you're following the harmony. This can also mean stepping outside the pentatonic, even just for a note or two, which keeps it sounding more interesting
- avoid starting on the 1 - you definitely don't always have to do this, but starting phrases on other beats can really liven things up
- repetition! If you land on something that sounds cool, keep using it. I always think of the Purple Rain solo (9:55 in this video if it doesn't embed right) where it almost seems like he realizes in real time how cool this little lick is and just keeps driving it home. If you go back around 30 seconds in the video, you hear parts of it start to appear, then it all comes together and works perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbVVDAyJ1w&t=595s

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Leck posted:

This is some great advice! Things that have helped me the most have been:
- singing a line out to get at least a small idea that sounds good, even if it's surrounded by more noodley stuff
- emphasizing the chord tones to really clarify that you're following the harmony. This can also mean stepping outside the pentatonic, even just for a note or two, which keeps it sounding more interesting
- avoid starting on the 1 - you definitely don't always have to do this, but starting phrases on other beats can really liven things up
- repetition! If you land on something that sounds cool, keep using it. I always think of the Purple Rain solo (9:55 in this video if it doesn't embed right) where it almost seems like he realizes in real time how cool this little lick is and just keeps driving it home. If you go back around 30 seconds in the video, you hear parts of it start to appear, then it all comes together and works perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbVVDAyJ1w&t=595s

All this talk is getting me super hyped. My guitar teacher is really into using funk like rhythms for general rhythm development and in one of our first lessons was like "don't worry, I won't teach you to play like Prince" and I was like "binch, what ?!" so I hopefully (and perhaps passive aggressively) wore a Prince shirt to my next lesson

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

for vocal melodies at least, it helps me to have a phrase i'm thinking of, like a song hook idea or something, and then based on poetic foot, or how the phrase is said, using that to kind of write the basic form of the melody. we have strong/weak notes in both rhythms and poetic foot, and we have consonant and dissonant notes with each chord. so lining those things up with each other tends to help, and often, you'll end up with interesting stuff that way.

like, let's use something really basic, that i would never in my life be able to live down the embarrassment of writing as an emo hook-- the phrase "i can't even try".

the way i would say that to express the mood i'm in, i would breeze past the "i can't", i'd emphasize the "E" and to a lesser extent the "ven", and i'd hang on the "try", not with strength but with duration, to indicate that something's coming after it.

so i already know that if i'm writing in 4/4, i might want to start on the 4th beat, with two eighth notes that i'll sing "i can't" to, so i can hit the 1st beat with a consonant quarter note to emphasize the "E", move by step to a dissonant note in the harmony on the 2, so you're aching for something on the "ven", and then on the 3, the "stronger but not strongest" beat in 4/4, i know that would be a good place for "try", because a) it's the only place it can go, but b) that third beat is a good place to kind of pause. it doesn't feel finished, but it feels like more of a stopping point that if you tried to resolve on the 2 or the 4. but since it's not exactly the strongest beat either, i have some options -- i could write eighth notes there, maybe even into the 4th beat, and make it a melismatic lyric. or i could just keep it as a quarter. and i could probably get away with a more dissonant note there, to preserve motion.

and that doesn't really get too into harmony, but... i already have my note placement and duration, and that's a lot of it. you can totally woodshed harmony, just trying different intervals and using your ears, but even then, there're basic guidelines that help.

as a general rule, what i've found is that the easiest way to write music is to first learn what decisions your core ideas have already made for you. each decision you make reduces the number of possible other things you can add, because the new things have to work well with an increasing amount of set in stone ideas.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 19, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway last night i tried re-stringing the peach strat and broke my high E before i got it in tune.

have another pack here so i'm gonna give it another go, but god, i do not like the "modern" fender tuner design atall (pretend i said that like a british person where you say "at all" quickly but with more emphasis on "all")

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh my god i hosed up this pack too, i am such a dumbass

thought the A string was a low E string

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
cool