Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Make an oleosaccharum. Take the peels and muddle them in sugar in a mason jar or whatever, let ‘em sit overnight, and then add water in equal amount to the sugar to dissolve. My two favorites are

orange peel, brown sugar, and then vanilla extract (like a half tsp per cup or so of syrup) to make delicious orange cream sodas

Orange peel, brown sugar, and then coffee instead of water for old fashioneds and stuff. Also good with soda water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I drink many cocktails at home, and my favorite cocktails all involve citrus. Like, I go through an enormous number of lemons and limes.

Also, we squirt limes on all of our food. Like, there's not really a meal without some limes on the table. We probably go through 2 dozen limes a week. Also, when I can get it, I use calamansi for the same purpose.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doom Rooster posted:

Sure, there are other citrus, I just don't go through enough of them to justify making a cello out of them. I tried grapefruitcello once, and it was.... Not good.

Please, hit me with some other citrus-focused recipes that I can OD on for a while though. Citrus in general is probably in my top 3 favorite flavors, so more is always, always welcome.
If you want an non-big-three citrus 'cello, kumquat.

If you want something other than grapefruitcello to do with grapefruit, grapefruit campari sorbet.

If you want a odd-in-the-US citrus to do random poo poo with, yuzu. Start out making your own ponzu, because you can in turn use ponzu in all kinds of poo poo. If you want to do infusions with the rinds that works too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I drink many cocktails at home, and my favorite cocktails all involve citrus. Like, I go through an enormous number of lemons and limes.

Also, we squirt limes on all of our food. Like, there's not really a meal without some limes on the table. We probably go through 2 dozen limes a week. Also, when I can get it, I use calamansi for the same purpose.

I can't get fresh calamansi here so I get the bottled stuff. So when we run out of lemons or limes and needs a squeeze of citrus, calamansi is what we end up using because we don't have bottled lemon or lime juice.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Can anyone recommend me their favorite toasted sesame oil? This little bottle from Kroger I’m about to finish isn’t bad but I suspect there’s much better out there, and I’ve been using it on so much recently. Bonus points if I can lazily buy it from Amazon or something but I do have a good Asian grocery nearby.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

speaking of sesame oil, are there specific ones to use in woks? I hear people talking about "wok sesame oil" but all the ones I see say nothing about woks. And the asian grocery stores near my house are all in languages I can't read so I don't know if they have them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would think you don’t want toasted sesame oil. Maybe that’s what they mean?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Toasted sesame oil is a delicious finishing oil - Kadoya is the brand I usually use. Don't cook with it though.

Untoasted sesame oil is also delicious, more delicate. It can be used for sautes, but would burn super fast in a wok - don't stir fry with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Toasted sesame oil is a delicious finishing oil - Kadoya is the brand I usually use. Don't cook with it though.

Untoasted sesame oil is also delicious, more delicate. It can be used for sautes, but would burn super fast in a wok - don't stir fry with it.

Maybe they're talking about a blend that has some sesame in it but also oil with a higher smoke point?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Toasted sesame oil is a delicious finishing oil - Kadoya is the brand I usually use.

Yeah I use it almost exclusively on foods after they’re done cooking with the exception of mixing a couple drops into scrambled eggs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe they're talking about a blend that has some sesame in it but also oil with a higher smoke point?

I've seen blends of soybean and sesame oil sold, but I think that's just a cheaper version of straight sesame. Soybean oil gets that weird fishy smell when used with high heat, so I wouldn't use it either.

My guess is that any recipe which says "use sesame oil for the stir fry step" is either mistranslated or is just a bad recipe.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Anno posted:

Yeah I use it almost exclusively on foods after they’re done cooking with the exception of mixing a couple drops into scrambled eggs.

Buy they biggest bottle you can and start rolling kimbap.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Food safety question. I bought some raw chicken wings last week with a sell by date of tomorrow. I only took them out to break them down and freeze them today but they smelled a bit off. There was some smell of bleach to them and one was a little slimy.

Safe to eat after rinsing and drying or throw out?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Buy they biggest bottle you can and start rolling kimbap.

I’d like to try! I’ve been on a big Korean kick recently since I discovered gochujang.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I make a big plate of various fillings (spinach, egg, carrot, pickled radish) and keep it in the fridge ready to be rolled whenever I feel like making up a batch of rice. Idk why but it seemed 900x easier to roll than the first time I tried making sushi even with no mat/cling wrap etc. It's really fun to get experimental with it. Last batch was practically a Vietnamese summer roll with all the herbs I stuck in there (delicious btw).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

nwin posted:

Food safety question. I bought some raw chicken wings last week with a sell by date of tomorrow. I only took them out to break them down and freeze them today but they smelled a bit off. There was some smell of bleach to them and one was a little slimy.

Safe to eat after rinsing and drying or throw out?

If it smells a bit off, not worth risking it imo especially for something you'd be freezing and then thawing again later.

Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, things often have a shorter shelf life during periods of high heat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, trust your nose with raw meat. Salmonella isn't worth trying to stretch a couple days out of it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat. I was hoping it was just the packaging since the sell by date was tomorrow. Oh well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Things under vacuum get a real funky smell, wet aging iirc. Slime probably seals the deal but check the smell not right after opening the package

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's just a little iffy, that could be just the packaging or the juices in the packaging and on the surface. I would pat them dry and make them that night. Wouldn't put them back in the fridge/freezer, though

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Smelling like bleach is one of those things where I'd err on the side of caution.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah they’re in the trash. Curious though-why would refreezing have been a bad idea?

In my head I’m thinking: sell by date is tomorrow, so if I freeze them then I’m ok as long as I cook them the day I defrost. Is that not correct? Obviously this is all flawed since the smell they had.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's about total amount of time at an unsafe temperature. So its sell by date is tomorrow but it smells a little funky. After cooking it takes some time in the danger zone to cool down and freeze. Then you thaw it (maybe) and reheat it, even more danger zone time.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I just have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge. I usually use it in soups or couple drops in water to liven it up a bit. I think I'd only bother with fresh lemon for like a salad dressing or a very lemon-forward dish.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I freeze my fresh squeezed lemon juice, seems to work well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/alangdon17/status/1551252071185276928?s=21&t=uO6uzhzkKCZjmroteQXZug

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That tracks well for Halifax, really. It's what I expect of Haligonians.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Someone should look back to the explosion records and see if there was radioactive cargo maybe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Earlier this week I found $20 lying on the ground at Home Depot.

Today I found another $20 lying on the ground at a fast food restaurant.

#Winning

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Money is so weird

Why can you drop it and lose its value, and somebody else can pick it and gain its value, all without any economic activity beyond losing a piece of linen paper? It's bizarre.

There's been times I was scraping by and found a five dollar bill that let me have an unexpected lunch, and that's just surreal that a loose pocket filled my belly without me doing any extra work, while some other idiot just presumably lost some fraction of their paycheck to the wind.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Money is so weird

Why can you drop it and lose its value, and somebody else can pick it and gain its value, all without any economic activity beyond losing a piece of linen paper? It's bizarre.

There's been times I was scraping by and found a five dollar bill that let me have an unexpected lunch, and that's just surreal that a loose pocket filled my belly without me doing any extra work, while some other idiot just presumably lost some fraction of their paycheck to the wind.

It’s cuz money isn’t real and work is a trick.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sextro posted:

It’s cuz money isn’t real and work is a trick.

Yeah like, we live in a hell of own making on this island where making people like you determines the value of your labor, the hell you talking about specie for

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brawnfire posted:

Money is so weird

I feel like you might be overthinking the simple joys of "gently caress yeah found :20bux: twice in the same week"

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Not sure if this is the right thread for a dumb question from a newbie cook but: This dessert recipe I have wants birch syrup. And I swear to god, it doesn’t seem to exist in Australia? I even went to the bougie supermarket, I’ve looked around online and checked Amazon, nada. I can get maple, agave, golden, pomegranate and molasses, but I can’t find a birch. And googling substitutes just gives me “maple isn’t a suitable substitute.” What do I sub two tablespoons of Birch syrup with in an almond cream croissant recipe? Or where the heck is this syrup found?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

coolusername posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for a dumb question from a newbie cook but: This dessert recipe I have wants birch syrup. And I swear to god, it doesn’t seem to exist in Australia? I even went to the bougie supermarket, I’ve looked around online and checked Amazon, nada. I can get maple, agave, golden, pomegranate and molasses, but I can’t find a birch. And googling substitutes just gives me “maple isn’t a suitable substitute.” What do I sub two tablespoons of Birch syrup with in an almond cream croissant recipe? Or where the heck is this syrup found?

Can you post the recipe? It doesn't seem like a recipe which would rely on the flavor of birch syrup,

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

coolusername posted:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can you post the recipe? It doesn't seem like a recipe which would rely on the flavor of birch syrup,

Yeah I’d be interested too. Birch syrup is incredibly rare AFAIK, and beyond flavor, which as Wiggles points out is likely minimal in a recipe like that, I would expect maple syrup to be a pretty good sub.

The one time I have ever encountered birch syrup, it was a little less viscous than typical amber maple syrup. I’d expect that means a little more water, a little less sugar. I’d expect based on that experience, that watering down maple syrup by 1/3 would be a sub close enough that you’d be hard-pressed to notice a difference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I. M. Gei posted:

I feel like you might be overthinking the simple joys of "gently caress yeah found :20bux: twice in the same week"

If it helps I was deep in the bongs

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

coolusername posted:

The closest you can get, short of tapping a birch, is simple syrup with a tiny amount of wintergreen or teaberry extract. Both birch and wintergreen have methyl salicylate as their dominant flavor ingredient. Wintergreen extract is much easier to find, but needs to be significantly diluted to read more birch than wintergreen. Hope this helps!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

coolusername posted:

If you're doing the recipe that came up on Google when I search "almond cream croissant birch syrup" you should probably use a proper recipe and not one from a cookbook based on a videogame

And if you are doing that recipe, leave it out, it's in with a ton of sugar and amaretto, you can sub almost anything in and it will still taste fine, it looks like it's only in there because it's a resource in the game

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Has anyone else run into bad chicken breasts? Setting aside the “yes, every time I eat a chicken breast :v:” joke, every so often I get a breast with extreme rubbery texture issues even though it was cooked the same way and to the same internal temp as breasts that come out perfect.