Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm probably gonna catch a sixer or worse for this, but I'm kinda ok with the Danny storyline. Everywhere humanity goes it brings its inner darkness along, it's kinda part of the deal. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea I'm fine with the Danny story line too. It mirrors his dads in some ways and we'll get to see a moment of redemption at some point, whatever/whenever that is. Curious how his brothers story line is gonna play out. If my earlier theory of Danny saving the crew or some parts of by sacrificing himself, similar to his parents plays out, I expect a season 4 arc for the brother. Stretching a bit but if he loses his brother to NASA, after he lost his parents to it, he could do something really, really dumb in retribution.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the failbrother will gently caress ed next to balance things out

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Or will Ed gently caress failbrother after he learns Danny hosed Karen?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

For those of you missing Gordo this season you really owe it to yourself to catch Patriot if you haven't yet. Imagine a spy thriller except everyone is very open and honest with each other about their thoughts and feelings.

Seconding. One of the most stressful shows I’ve seen and he pulls it off very well.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Danny is lucky Ed pulled up

Ed is lucky Danny pulled out

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Madurai posted:

Point of order: exposure to radiation does not equal radioactive contamination, unless it was a massive neutron flux that would have killed the crew instantly.

If they had time to transfer all the fuel, they might have had time to move some other consumables, as well.

They had to have been thinking about food too because originally they would've been like +4 if some of them didn't die in the accident, and that would be a pretty obvious problem.

isaboo posted:

Danny is lucky Ed pulled up

Ed is lucky Danny pulled out

And we are lucky we got to witness all that

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm probably gonna catch a sixer or worse for this, but I'm kinda ok with the Danny storyline. Everywhere humanity goes it brings its inner darkness along, it's kinda part of the deal. :hmmyes:

It’s way better this season imo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They would've brought consumables from the Soviet ship. It's pretty unlikely there was induced radiation in the food supplies (which were already irradiated before leaving Earth) and even if there were they could've let them hang out in the airlock for a few days. The food wouldn't be any more radioactive than the cosmonauts themselves or their suits or anything.

NASA probably sent more food and water than they need, plus three cosmonauts came over - two dead astronauts = only one more mouth to feed, but still. You wouldn't waste the Soviet supplies unless you had no choice. They brought over vodka so I'm sure food came too.

Soviet space food was notoriously terrible though, I wouldn't want any.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd imagine space food is like airline food but worse, so everyone's would be terrible

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sivart13 posted:

I don't think a gay Republican president inventing Don't Ask Don't Tell basically on-time was meant to be read as a triumph. More of a "dang, you could've done a thing but..."

it's interesting from our current perspective of complete political gridlock that their reason for acting as they did was "but my jobs bill!". how good could that jobs bill be, really?

i would ordinarily agree but both characters in the scene marvel at it being "the perfect compromise," a "small step" that would "stop the harassment"

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 18, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd imagine space food is like airline food but worse, so everyone's would be terrible

It looked like Helios had some pretty good poo poo.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TIP posted:

It looked like Helios had some pretty good poo poo.

They were rocking Lays and Shiner. Must be nice.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

anyways, im excited for danny to re-enact the hit 2007 movie sunshine next episode

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wafflecopper posted:

The NASA/ESA/JSA/etc stuff on the ISS isn't too bad. Shuttle era was okay, Apollo food sucked. Russia's never really improved their food much by all accounts.

Part of the problem is that you're just congested 24/7 when in null g so flavor is muted like you have a cold.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

QuoProQuid posted:

anyways, im excited for danny to re-enact the hit 2007 movie sunshine next episode

I would like this, but I would also like to see Danny get Event Horizoned

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ED, watching as Danny threatens and attacks other members of the crew, interrogates him about his ex-wife, nearly kills him in a martian lander, suffers a serious hand injury, and becomes clearly addicted to pain killers: screw protocol, dany DESERVES to be on the martian surface

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
When Ed and his daughter were talking about oxygen levels and C02 scrubbers my wife was yelling "COHAAGEN GIVE THOSE PEOPLE AIR!"

Also, Kuato Danny when?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

QuoProQuid posted:

ED, watching as Danny threatens and attacks other members of the crew, interrogates him about his ex-wife, nearly kills him in a martian lander, suffers a serious hand injury, and becomes clearly addicted to pain killers: screw protocol, dany DESERVES to be on the martian surface

I think Ed is keeping Danny where he can see him. You want to send him up the gravity well just to crash the space hotel into Mars?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

For those of you missing Gordo this season you really owe it to yourself to catch Patriot if you haven't yet. Imagine a spy thriller except everyone is very open and honest with each other about their thoughts and feelings.

“He sings folk songs about his time as an intelligence agent. They’re…getting increasingly honest”

Cut to Gordo singing
“Last year in Tehran…I killed a guy….”

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

TIP posted:

ehhh, I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt that we eventually get to fully automated luxury gay space communism for all

they're going for some level of believability so the fact that they have pushed it towards the left but not all the way already is understandable

we'll see where it goes over the next couple seasons

I think the helium-3 stuff is the perfect gateway to space communism. If we find a cheap, clean, near limitless source of energy, why should we worry about everyone having jobs anymore? It seems silly that a huge leap for mankind would cause an economic disaster.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tequila25 posted:

It seems silly that a huge leap for mankind would cause an economic disaster.

That is a thing that actually happens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

How did message get out about the dude being gay? Isn't there like a 20 minute delay? There'd obviously be no way to have a live interview so even on a "live" stream of some guy just talking from Mars I feel like that would've just been censored.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

How did message get out about the dude being gay? Isn't there like a 20 minute delay? There'd obviously be no way to have a live interview so even on a "live" stream of some guy just talking from Mars I feel like that would've just been censored.

You can have a livestream from Mars. It takes X minutes for the signal to get to Earth, but that doesn't mean there's a delay between its arrival at Earth and transmission on TV. There's not a delay because the signal gets to Earth and then you wait 20 minutes to broadcast where you can do editing, the delay is the speed of light as it travels through space.

Even if the NASA feed were additionally delayed to edit out all the times Danielle tells people to gently caress off, anyone with a proper antenna setup can get the direct signal from Mars. Lots of countries would be monitoring it and depending how strong the signal is, amateurs might be able to.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 18, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To put it another way, the astronaut's transmission from Mars wasn't encrypted, so anyone with a receiver listening on Earth can pick it up at the time it arrives.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
Didn't we see Ed's daughter doing multiple takes of her message? I think it's supposed to be a pre-recorded statement that the astronauts sent down, in which case its weird that it would go directly to some TV station and not be relayed via the NASA press office.

edit: in any case, I thought this was the weakest episode of the season yet. The Mars stuff felt surprisingly mundane and not awe-inspiring for being such a significant milestone, the cartoonishly evil Russians are getting a bit old at this point, the Danny plotline continues to be obnoxiously boring, and the invention of Don't Ask Don't Tell definitely came across as a centrist triumph the way it was presented, Ellen's inner turmoil notwithstanding. It's not even like it happened earlier than in our timeline, it just came about due to different circumstances. Although I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming Larrywinsky scandal.

Sch fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 18, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sch posted:

Didn't we see Ed's daughter doing multiple takes of her message? I think it's supposed to be a pre-recorded statement that the astronauts sent down, in which case its weird that it would go directly to some TV station and not be relayed via the NASA press office.
Again it's not an email sent to an individual receiver, it is a radio signal sent from another planet. The only way to ensure it goes to NASA and only NASA first is if it is encrypted.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bawfuls posted:

Again it's not an email sent to an individual receiver, it is a radio signal sent from another planet. The only way to ensure it goes to NASA and only NASA first is if it is encrypted.

Why would they be sending video of the bad takes that required reshoots?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

...do you think everything we see on the show is a broadcast from in-universe television?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Why would they be sending video of the bad takes that required reshoots?

Maybe they didn't bother sending a video editor to Mars.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
Why would they be sending unencrypted video? Presumably their private calls are sent encrypted (otherwise why would Danny need to hack into the mainframe to do his creepy staring?)

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

I hate the Danny storyline and think the show would be much better without it but I am enjoying the show making him go full out psycho, especially now that he can't harass Karen anymore. Getting my popcorn ready for when Ed spaces him out of an airlock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sch posted:

Why would they be sending unencrypted video? Presumably their private calls are sent encrypted (otherwise why would Danny need to hack into the mainframe to do his creepy staring?)

The space program has never used encrypted broadcasts. There's no reason to. Anyone who wanted to could follow the Apollo missions, the Shuttle, etc. Encryption is used for spy satellites and stuff, space exploration is public.

Whether Helios does it is immaterial. There are laws requiring NASA to release their information to the public, you can go look at raw feeds of data from Mars rovers and stuff if you want.

Also just because the video is going to a private mailbox with a password doesn't mean it's encrypted necessarily. I don't think anyone is spending a lot of time making sure astronauts can't hack each other's email while in deep space. Password protection for privacy is enough.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 18, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There was a big deal about the space program using encrypted signals in this very show!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Grand Fromage posted:

You can have a livestream from Mars. It takes X minutes for the signal to get to Earth, but that doesn't mean there's a delay between its arrival at Earth and transmission on TV. There's not a delay because the signal gets to Earth and then you wait 20 minutes to broadcast where you can do editing, the delay is the speed of light as it travels through space.

Even if the NASA feed were additionally delayed to edit out all the times Danielle tells people to gently caress off, anyone with a proper antenna setup can get the direct signal from Mars. Lots of countries would be monitoring it and depending how strong the signal is, amateurs might be able to.

I probably phrased that badly. I guess it just seemed weird to me that it wouldn't be additionally delayed enough in case someone homesick astronaut killed himself on stream or aliens attack them in middle of a livestream. I guess if it wasn't encrypted as others have said it's a moot point.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i personally cannot imagine a world where the videos wouldn’t be encrypted and run through like eight or nine bureaucrats at NASA to ensure they represented the agency in the best possible light

but, hey, that’s not dramatic

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

College Rockout posted:

I hate the Danny storyline and think the show would be much better without it but I am enjoying the show making him go full out psycho, especially now that he can't harass Karen anymore. Getting my popcorn ready for when Ed spaces him out of an airlock.

You make a very good point and made me realize why I don’t like the Karen/Danny sup-plot. It’s not particularly badly written (there is no question Danny is in the wrong) and I like both actors…but, holy poo poo, I am way past my personal threshold for storylines involving violence against women. Just done with them, no matter how conscientiously written and performed.

Now, Danny’s actor getting to go full American Psycho in space and Ed caving his head into his rib cage? That sounds like good television.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't even remember what the deal with Gordo's hosed up kids is. They went through a divorce and then their parents died under tragic circumstances. And Karen hosed Danny(for which she still has to suffer any consequences). Anything else?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Danny lost his best friend and had to go through that while his dad was off in space (and I want to say his mom was already an AsCan at that point?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also, Tracy, while remarrying an incredibly rich and successful man, also was ridiculously famous and constantly in the spotlight. Failbrother, after losing both parents to NASA, sees his closest remaining family member join the same agency that he lost his parents too. They also get to see their father go through alcoholism and ptsd.

Needless to say, it's pretty clear they are both hosed up individuals.