Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I went to Texas Tech, one of my "friends" liked to carry his grandfather's gun. ND'd at a party that got busted and that was that.

Same dude learned my grandfather was a nazi soldier and his first thought was if I had any of his guns. Of course, that's what you do with prisoners of war, let them keep their guns. Lemme just go grab my ancestral K98k with a reichsadler and hakenkreuz on it, my most favouritest gun.

I mean I get it, when you get out of the POW camp you get all your gear back in a big bag at the end of a hallway. I learned that in the historical documentary Call Of Duty: World At War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Local hero defending themselves with historical handgun inspires wave of Americans to take to carrying historical handguns as well, coincidentally all Walther P38s.
Hilariously, yes, it is a Walther P38. Old military guy knew older military guy, bought it off him. I'm never selling because I know the kind of fucks who'd want it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I went to Texas Tech, one of my "friends" liked to carry his grandfather's gun. ND'd at a party that got busted and that was that.

Same dude learned my grandfather was a nazi soldier and his first thought was if I had any of his guns. Of course, that's what you do with prisoners of war, let them keep their guns. Lemme just go grab my ancestral K98k with a reichsadler and hakenkreuz on it, my most favouritest gun.
Yeah all the profit was obviously made off of the ones stealing the weapons. I could be very wrong here, but I think Japanese katanas stolen off of generals in WWII are worth quite a lot now.
Edit: not quite a lot, but still pretty decent

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 19, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yeah..?

One that only makes sense if you believe "they want to tax those with too much to help those with too little" is just terrible without exception I guess.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah..?

One that only makes sense if you believe "they want to tax those with too much to help those with too little" is just terrible without exception I guess.

Also, the same people who live in rural areas want the wealth that cities generate. Also quite frankly anyone who pushes that cities and rural folks ARE JUST SO OPPOSED is generally racist. It's basically black people live here be scared.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whats the weird black spot under "want to tax"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PhazonLink posted:

whats the weird black spot under "want to tax"?

Looks like someone wanted to reuse a screencap of a drone video that probably already had text or other markings on it and didn't know a better way?

This is the original, there is nothing objectionable there.

https://www.shutterstock.com/fi/video/clip-1070697625-american-midwestern-countryside-springtime-aerial-view-drone

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't be a rugged individualist if there's a second farm within view, looking at your stuff.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anyone who posts that picture should have to read the 1991 novel A Thousand Acres.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

If you own a farm you are rich as gently caress, and at the direction of farmers and rural states the entire western US is in danger of running out of water. Farming is an industry like any other and not particularly environmentally friendly.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Posted by this guy:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/12/fbi-cincinnati-ricky-shiffer/

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ratoslov posted:

If you own a farm you are rich as gently caress, and at the direction of farmers and rural states the entire western US is in danger of running out of water. Farming is an industry like any other and not particularly environmentally friendly.

This absolutely depends on your definition of farm. There are bunch of "hobby" farmers that are definitely not rich but still rely on their farm for income.

But yes generally when politically farmers are brought up they are the rich, don't work the land, own thousands of acres variety.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

PneumonicBook posted:

This absolutely depends on your definition of farm. There are bunch of "hobby" farmers that are definitely not rich but still rely on their farm for income.

But yes generally when politically farmers are brought up they are the rich, don't work the land, own thousands of acres variety.

Correct re: actual small farmers.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My cousin is very upset about the 87,000 new jackboot IRS agents coming after innocent Americans, and the Mar-A-Lago raid:

quote:

I’m old enough to remember left wing threats and an attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice, a few weeks ago. Seems like left wing nuts don’t care about that, only threats against the FBI from “irresponsible republicans.”
Both “sides” are guilty. Stop thinking the “side” you think you’re on is innocent.

I think he's referring to that "threat" to Kavanaugh or Alito where the guy turned himself in...you know, as attempted assassins of SCOTUS justices do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My cousin is very upset about the 87,000 new jackboot IRS agents coming after innocent Americans, and the Mar-A-Lago raid:

I think he's referring to that "threat" to Kavanaugh or Alito where the guy turned himself in...you know, as attempted assassins of SCOTUS justices do.

Yeah it's big in the MAGA circles right now that Democrats will only sic the new IRS agents on the common people. Funny how the "if you didn't do anything wrong why aren't you just complying" crew is aghast at this.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All right gas prices are down where's all the Joe Biden stickers?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Now it's the chuds who are scraping them off.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
At one of the gas stations I go to, there's a list of tips about keeping your credit card info safe at the pump next to the gas price readouts, and they've been covered up by "I did that" stickers. It's all simple obvious stuff, and I'm not sure why they're advising you to enter your ZIP code for security when the machine would give that prompt automatically, but it's pretty on-the-nose that the stickers are covering real, useful instructions.

On the subject of annoying propaganda stickers, while getting lunch at a drive thru, I noticed someone put anti-Fauci and COVID denial things on the outside of the sliding window frame.

I had a Sensible Chuckle at the fact that, sirs, it was a Wendy's.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not even sure chuds need to scrape them off because gas is still a decent bit over 3 dollars a gallon here, I filled up at 3.35 the other day but around 3.50 is the average and I still see places around 3.75. Like, yeah, it's down from when it was nearly five dollars, but these are still much higher gas prices than they've been historically. All they need to do is keep saying "Gas was half this when Trump was president!" They're ignoring a lot of context (like the pandemic) but gas prices are still high even if they're coming down. Chuds probably won't need to worry about gas prices being a losing issue unless it comes down to 2 bucks a gallon or so.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

In the chud mind there's no way it looks bad for them unless it gets lower than what it was under trump, and that was largely due to covid. Even if you could call it a win if it goes lower than pre office biden, we're still going to hear about how we need to get paid back for the period when it was high.

That's why it's such a good issue. You pin it on Biden with all the bad faith arguments and stir up the base as well as a few idiots from outside the party and call it a win, since it's never really possible to bring them back down to an acceptable amount just due to regular rear end inflation, not even the crazy post covid inflation.

e: basically the idea that chuds will be peeling off stickers out of embarrassment just isn't going to happen.

itskage fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 22, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

itskage posted:

In the chud mind there's no way it looks bad for them unless it gets lower than what it was under trump, and that was largely due to covid. Even if you could call it a win if it goes lower than pre office biden, we're still going to hear about how we need to get paid back for the period when it was high.

That's why it's such a good issue. You pin it on Biden with all the bad faith arguments and stir up the base as well as a few idiots from outside the party and call it a win, since it's never really possible to bring them back down to an acceptable amount just due to regular rear end inflation, not even the crazy post covid inflation.

e: basically the idea that chuds will be peeling off stickers out of embarrassment just isn't going to happen.

Embarrassment requires that one can feel shame and no Republican is capable of such a feat of humanity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, I am already seeing Mike Rowe posts saying that Biden is just doing this to help the “privileged elite” to make his “dwindling base” happy while ignoring HVAC people and other trades.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
law of projection says Rowe has some PPP poo poo.

Also he's literally a college degree haver in liberal arts and was a opera singer a long time ago before he hit it big with his fake persona from Dirty Jobs.?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe not PPP loans but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did. But yes to all the rest. At this point I just consider him a cartoon character like Larry the Cable Guy.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Having incidentally met both of them I can say Larry the Cable guy was far nicer than our Glorious Opera Singer

This is regarding close to 2 hours hanging with both, gently caress Mike Rowe!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On that same note:

quote:

My question is where is this money going? Is it going to the bank that made the student loan, or the fed program that picked it up when it went into default, or to the student his/her self who might just blow it elsewhere?

Cousins of mine don't understand how loans work.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Dave Ramsey has been shared today. He says congrats to the people who have been forgiven. Then he says everyone else has a right to be pissed off at those people and the government. He shits all over them about personal responsibility while ignoring his bankruptcies.

Also, I saw my first “underwater basket weaving” comment in the wild.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People mock basket weaving but everybody I know has baskets

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
even the basketcase people? seems unfair.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

At least at the end of the basket weaving you have a pretty good basket. They could be going after something truly for its own sake like a MBA

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Congrats to everyone who didn’t own a fighter jet that doesn’t work, cause now you do. This is fun.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Congrats to everyone who didn’t own a fighter jet that doesn’t work, cause now you do. This is fun.

Congrats to everyone who didn't own an abortion clinic, cause now you do.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

technically it's backwards, because previously they did own the college debt and they no longer do.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
All shared from a relative whose small company got $45,250 forgiven.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ha, can you imagine someone from the Bible supporting forgiveness of debts? What a ridiculous idea!

quote:

“Every seventh year you shall grant a remission of debts. 2 And this is the manner of the remission: every creditor shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbor, not exacting it, because the Lord’s remission has been proclaimed.

Well who cares what this idiot has to say? This squints YHWH guy probably isn't important anyway!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I really despise the "value" discussion when it comes to degrees because it reduces education to little more than an investment. An art degree doesn't have as much "value" in capitalism as an MBA, but beautiful art is infinitely more valuable to society in general than some useless prick in a suit.

I realize that throwing market logic at everything is part of the neoliberal project, but that poo poo's gotten far too normalized.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think it's kind of telling on itself wrt capitalism. Their complaint seems to be that colleges are engaging in rent seeking behavior by creating new degrees that don't necessarily have practical applications. They're creating these majors to juice up demand, if the colleges are getting a blank check from uncle Sam then they're going to come with more bullshit degrees to give to students.

But because it comes from the perspective of "personal responsibility" they focus their ire on the individuals choosing the degrees, not the colleges charging ridiculous sums of money for the privilege of earning them.

It's gotten me to look at that whole gripe more critically. Rough estimate, but when you look at the ratio of what they're consider "useful" degrees to "useless" ones barely one fifth of the degrees fall into their "underwater basket weaving" category. So not even a lot of potential loan forgiveness is "wasted" on degrees they don't like.

It also weaves into this aspect of anti intellectualism that is itself very uncreative in principle. If we have a glut of underwater basket weavers why not help foster an underwater basket weaving industry they can put their skills to use? There's also the difference between Applied skills, like learning to build a house, and Theoretical skills, like learning how to make the interior of a house look pretty. One has tangible outputs that can show for the effort put in learning the skill, while the other tends to be more abstract. They're both 'useful' but idiots on Facebook they have no object permanence so if you're not getting your hands covered in motor oil or making a company a billion dollars you aren't really creating anything of value with your knowledge.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It really shows that capitalism's greatest cheerleaders don't actually believe any of the bullshit they sell. If they were really into a "free" market, then they'd be happy about a market for underwater basket weavers opening up, as you said.

And of course, I think some of it is a generational gap that probably can't be crossed. When a lot of Boomers think of "useful work", they're thinking in terms of working with your hands. The idea that an artist labors to create a work of art, even if it isn't traditional labor, doesn't seem to ever cross their minds.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Also underwater basket weaving is a real thing and probably very hard to do (it's the basket that goes underwater, not the weaver; the water keeps the woven material pliable and then when the completed basket dries it shrinks slightly, producing a tighter and sturdier weave).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Underwater basket weaving is code for subjects like sociology or media studies. Ie subjects that involve detailed scrutiny of the societal impact of the neolib project and the media empire selling it.