Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’ve been assured this isn’t happen…lol

Obviously he was a bad apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Obviously he was a bad apple

Sounds right to me.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

About the only thing they can do is drop roles, leave the alliance, and close Jabber forever.

quote:

Name: Cryo Huren (23052)(BANNED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

o7 m8s

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it is 2022 and there are people who still believe that a member of the GSF directorate has any power other than over the extremely narrow slice of responsibilities they have been given

illum isn't even a particularly secure channel, it's treated as only slightly better than elysium lol

Seriously, though, asking "the directorate" to enact bans or any other kind of widespread sea change is wasting your time. About the only thing they can do is drop roles, leave the alliance, and close Jabber forever.

Seems dysfunctional.

Ironic how no one has the power to do good things. Seems... familiar...

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

WorkerThread posted:

lmao you guys are serious with the gifted kid stuff
lol no im good at a thing but it hosed me up because for a very long time, I never learned how to not be good at things, or how to get better. i didn't believe I could

when like every adult tells you that 'you're so smart wow you're a genius you know everything wow!" the whole time you're a kid, smart smart so smart, and you sail through school academically without really trying, it makes success seem equivalent to being smart

which is great until there's that first thing that you don't get, or have to work at something to figure it out; now you're suddenly not smart.

you're scared to let anyone know, because everything around you has connected your sense of self worth to your intelligence, and failure means you're stupid

i never had to ask for help with stuff, so i never learned how to ask for help

in my case i just didn't turn stuff in unless i knew id 100 it.

because demonstrating non-perfection would let let everyone know i wasn't smart, which would mean I'm not valuable in my mind

majority of adults/teachers would attribute any difficulty id have with with a task to laziness, people barely me if I needed help, they just said to do it. I had "just do your loving homework" screamed at me more times than I can count

i'd try to make excuses to avoid it, I was really quick at throwing out reasons because 'smart' but it just kind of helped me rationalize myself into a corner where I'd be stuck
my mom/teachers would think that I was refusing just to be lazy and get mad at me

so then i thought that I was stupid and lazy and that everyone would get mad at me when I couldn't do something
but I actually just needed to ask someone for help

it gave me severe self esteem issues

i'd have finished stuff just didn't turn it in.
eventually I got to where if i fell behind in a class at all, id sleep in the bathroom during it instead of going, everything was succeed / stupid

I would retreat to things that I was good at and only do those and anything that I wasn't good at I would decide that I hated it and that was my reason for not doing it because i was so afraid of 'being dumb

also thinking i was imposter-syndrome smart, combined with my increasing academic failure, made me conclude i was also unattractive and unfunny, because if the one compliment isn't true, all the other ones probably aren't either.

then, I stopped going to school altogether, and started playing EVE-ONLINE.

DO NOT tell 'smart' kids they are smart if you care about them
it will make them play eve

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

PhilippAchtel posted:

Seems dysfunctional.

Ironic how no one has the power to do good things. Seems... familiar...

That's not completely true. There's a level above illum where there is a better chance. People in that channel aren't expected to stay in their box.

Still, it all smacks very highly of "trying to reform the spoiled organization from the inside," which has a... we'll call it a poor track record. Also, naturally, there is no established process for deposing the CEO.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I had all that poo poo too fnln and I actually AM fat and ugly and I turned out.... oh noo... no I didn't... I PLAY EVE TOOO.... AAAAAAGH!

WastelandTraveler
Sep 8, 2009

When you’ve been here this long, nothing and everything makes sense.
I throw my honks towards GooseFleet and look forward to the great migration of the flock.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

so this is what the "goodposting" meme phrase i keep hearing repeated by goonwaffe members means

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I am sitting on my main in Jita for the first time in almost a decade and this is weird

:honk:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

WorkerThread posted:

so this is what the "goodposting" meme phrase i keep hearing repeated by goonwaffe members means

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I got to Jita 4-4 and it had all its own custom background and PA announcements about watching out for scammers it was :perfect:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You should undock and check out the space elevator.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SHISHKABOB posted:

You should undock and check out the space elevator.

And get instagibbed by a RIOT legion if you're still in Waffe.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the previous thread should be archived/goldmined because that poo poo is useful to point back to. I don't know how it works if a thread is deleted after some period of time or not. :shrug:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mekchu posted:

I think the previous thread should be archived/goldmined because that poo poo is useful to point back to. I don't know how it works if a thread is deleted after some period of time or not. :shrug:

It was goldmined.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

there are 0 people posting on this site that weren't young gifteds that turned into abject parental disappointments tbh

Quoting this to trigger another page of readers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

DO NOT tell 'smart' kids they are smart if you care about them
it will make them play eve

This is a good post.

Also recognise a lot of that from growing up. Bombed out of uni once, wound up enlisting, then nearly bombed out again a few years later, but thankfully made it through :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It was goldmined.

neat

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's not completely true. There's a level above illum where there is a better chance. People in that channel aren't expected to stay in their box.

Still, it all smacks very highly of "trying to reform the spoiled organization from the inside," which has a... we'll call it a poor track record. Also, naturally, there is no established process for deposing the CEO.

Arrest by US federal authorities worked at least once.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I had all that poo poo too fnln and I actually AM fat and ugly and I turned out.... oh noo... no I didn't... I PLAY EVE TOOO.... AAAAAAGH!

In games, you can be whoever you want to be

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Problem is that there has to be, like, someone who cares for it to have an effect. If there's one thing I've learned, no one on that side of the aisle cares.

You had people posting in the last thread with ties to PL saying they cared and would raise a ruckus when given evidence.

Mandozer went onto OG Discord (which is entirely separate from PL these days) to try and get FNLN on so he/she/they could contact Hedliner directly. OG, being entirely free of EVE and BFM declined but Jeff pinged Hedliner to let him know Mandozer/FNLN was trying to contact him about BFM.

So no, people do care and are trying to do something about it.

Going after people in Horde, which afaik still is a fairly different entity from PL, is sort of pointless and just seems pointless.

Get all your evidence, go to PL people (Hedliner is an rear end, I'd recommend Oh Takashawa or possibly Dacil if he still plays) with all the evidence and not screaming at them like they're Satan because frankly put, they probably don't know wtf the BFM stuff is in general other than vague insinuations.

Edit - I spoke to people I know in PL. They passed on all the info they had or were given to those in more direct control of things recently. :shrugs:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 19, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mekchu posted:

You had people posting in the last thread with ties to PL saying they cared and would raise a ruckus.

Well, if so, then good. Hopefully it gets something done.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
So the OP's kind of vague, what all exactly is locked behind a subscription in terms of skills and all? Or, if it's the shorter answer, what isn't?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ablative posted:

So the OP's kind of vague, what all exactly is locked behind a subscription in terms of skills and all? Or, if it's the shorter answer, what isn't?

With an Alpha Clone (f2p) you can fly Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battlecruisers, and Battleships, albeit none of the fancy versions, and you can train all of the basic skills you need to use those but not optimally.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Skills also train at 0.5x speed as alpha

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ablative posted:

No advanced or higher tiered modules, either.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

As long as you can fly a t1 frigate fit with garbage you can have fun in this game. If you look at skillpoint accumulation as adding on to that baseline it isn't so dire to start from scratch.

Edit: incursus gang whattup https://i.imgur.com/QOxJBp5.mp4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ablative posted:

From last recollection, basically you can only use Tier 1 items and ships in certain classes

Eg. Frigate = Tier 1

Interceptor = Tier 2

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i just remembered that i never actually played the goose game

it's good and fun and chill

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ablative posted:

Consider an 'alpha' account as a sort of an extended trial. You can dip your toes into things and do newbie-type stuff but any further than that is locked, you won't be able to undock in any ship that requires omega-locked skills, you won't be able to use any omega-locked modules, there's extra fees and limitations on industry stuff (in addition to the locked skills), you train slower and there's some other limitations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ablative posted:

Most of the ships that you’d be able to fly within the first few months are available. Almost all “Tech 1” (basic) modules, with the exception of cloaking and interdiction nullifiers (just off the top of my head). Some T2 modules are available as well but aren’t as effective without Omega-level skills.

Basic mining, trading, and production is also open to Alphas but game-wide base sales tax is 8% right now and the only way to reduce it is skills so it doesn’t scale.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Clone_states#Alpha_skill_set

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

hailthefish posted:

Consider an 'alpha' account as a sort of an extended trial. You can dip your toes into things and do newbie-type stuff but any further than that is locked, you won't be able to undock in any ship that requires omega-locked skills, you won't be able to use any omega-locked modules, there's extra fees and limitations on industry stuff (in addition to the locked skills), you train slower and there's some other limitations.

I have played Runescape before, I am acquainted with the concept. I was just wondering what the actual barriers were.

e: I should note I have played Eve before as well, but it was a decade ago and only for a few months. Like, I know how it works in the basic terms.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool new thread.

Jesus christ this week has been like professional bullriding in a tilt-a-whirl. Started out with blowing the lid off mismanagement of sexual harrassment, ended up with accounts of pedophilia, murder, and gang rape. And there's gotta be more out there.

I need to lay down. For, like, a decade.

When they said "EVE is real" this isn't the real I wanted. :smith:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So true

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
i wrote hamlet when i was 5

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the people that are friends with right wing pieces of poo poo like brisc rubal aren't going to want to actually make any positive change

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

single page digit posting to remind you to play another game.

this one is terrible. it's not awful, it's just terrible.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solus posted:

Update: I have been blacklisted from GSF lmao

joining the cool kids club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
you know what the r/eve subreddit has this thread should consider including?