Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Tomberforce posted:

Allow me sing you the song of my people

https://youtu.be/GQO1qZD5lek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm really disappointed. I thought you could help yourselves and not use the word "oval office," it's actually an extremely offensive gendered insult and unacceptable.

When anidav gets off their probation in a few hours he is welcome to comment but I think it's best this thread be closed.

I would encourage you to post elsewhere, maybe in the GBS or CSPAM Australian politics threads.

No problem. See you next tuesday.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's ok everyone the American deadshit's prescription opioids or whatever have kicked in, we can talk about footy again now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Carn the hawkers gently caress Essendon

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Periphery posted:

No problem. See you next tuesday.

what's up their arse?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

carn the bombers gently caress hawthorne

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

fukkit, tonight is HSP night

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You apparently need a GP referral to get a PCR test now, at least in Victoria.

bane of goodpostin
Jul 13, 2022

Animal Friend posted:

sounds like a great way to make sure people can't be hosed getting tested

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bane of goodpostin posted:

"what new wave? look how low confirmed cases are!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Scott Morrison has said he and his fellow worshippers “don’t trust in governments”

lmao

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Fair call after the clown show we've all been treated to since 2013 imo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm dead, this has killed me

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Animal Friend posted:

lol are you supposed to do this by telehealth or just rock up?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Animal Friend posted:

Where was this reported I can't find it on abc?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bane of goodpostin posted:

Also a really good use of already overstretched primary care networks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
For a former health minister Dan sure is a dumb oval office sometimes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eediot Jedi posted:

Victoria’s mass PCR testing program for COVID-19 has been scaled back from 1 July 2022.

Rapid antigen tests remain the preferred means of testing for COVID-19 for most Victorians.

PCR testing will continue to be used for clinically vulnerable individuals and other at-risk groups. This may include testing for other respiratory pathogens if clinically appropriate, and a GP referral may be required.

This targeted testing approach ensures that appropriate treatment is provided early to those in most need.

The Call to Test Program is available for people who are eligible for a PCR test at home. Information on eligibility for the Call-to-Test service can be found on this page.

Early treatment medicines are now available for eligible Victorians who have COVID-19 to prevent them from getting so sick that they need hospital care. To see if you may be eligible and for more information, visit COVID-19 medicines.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/get-pcr-test-covid-19

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

bluey is inaccurate because if young cattledogs could talk they'd say oval office a lot

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

bluey is inaccurate because if young cattledogs could talk they'd say oval office a lot

It was the bit in Faceytalk where the audio cuts out.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Called a doctor today because I came down with something on the weekend and was too sick to go to work plus I feel I needed to isolate. Gave my symptoms and mentioned I had done 2 RATs that returned a negative, one Saturday night and one this morning right before the call.

He told me "go get a PCR test and we'll go from there." When I called the closest test centre (don't have a car at the moment and had to hoof it in the cold with maybe the worst fever I have ever had) they told me I needed a referral. Had to call the GP back to ask for one.

This was in Balaclava so fairly dense population area and the place was empty when I got there. Good for me but confusing.

How does needing a referral make sense? Basically half my office at any given time has been away sick for the last 3 weeks. Public service so we're all covid and flu vaccinated as well.

E:

JBP posted:

Victoria’s mass PCR testing program for COVID-19 has been scaled back from 1 July 2022.

real galaxy brain move putting a gate on PCR tests in the middle of winter in Victoria.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 18, 2022

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hooman posted:

"what new wave? look how low confirmed cases are!"

bane of goodpostin
Jul 13, 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also a really good use of already overstretched primary care networks

its just mr andrews way of creating more jobs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v86VmUBTKg

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Animal Friend posted:

Called a doctor today because I came down with something on the weekend and was too sick to go to work plus I feel I needed to isolate. Gave my symptoms and mentioned I had done 2 RATs that returned a negative, one Saturday night and one this morning right before the call.

He told me "go get a PCR test and we'll go from there." When I called the closest test centre (don't have a car at the moment and had to hoof it in the cold with maybe the worst fever I have ever had) they told me I needed a referral. Had to call the GP back to ask for one.

This was in Balaclava so fairly dense population area and the place was empty when I got there. Good for me but confusing.

How does needing a referral make sense? Basically half my office at any given time has been away sick for the last 3 weeks. Public service so we're all covid and flu vaccinated as well.

E:

real galaxy brain move putting a gate on PCR tests in the middle of winter in Victoria.

Maybe it's about assuming that it's Covid (or something else that's bad) and just going through the normal iso rules with a normal doc's cert?

My question is: what benefit is PCR testing a bunch of randos for a virus which is now ripping through a country? It's not like before where we were trying to pinpoint one of less than 100 potential cases?

e: it is a huge galaxy brain because you want people not lining up but isolating

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you get sick again and test positive your boss will probably sack you for lying.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Thankfully since 2020 people have only been able to get sick from COVID, all other diseases have been eradicated

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

realistic bluey posted:

*sniffs a fence* lotta cunts around here *sees a bus* whoa that's a big oval office *sees another dog* lmao fucken fight ya oval office

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

Maybe it's about assuming that it's Covid (or something else that's bad) and just going through the normal iso rules with a normal doc's cert?

My question is: what benefit is PCR testing a bunch of randos for a virus which is now ripping through a country? It's not like before where we were trying to pinpoint one of less than 100 potential cases?

e: it is a huge galaxy brain because you want people not lining up but isolating

If RATs are as accurate and can detect covid as early as a PCR can, yeah, it'd be equal. It's exchanging all movement to testing centres for some movement to gps and other health services, which aren't set up or as equipped to deal with limiting contact between people.

The burden of cost shifts more onto the person, can they afford RATs, do they have to ration testing because of cost, do they have a RAT at home or do they need to duck into a pharmacy to get one. Do they need to halt their life for a few days to potentially test negative and not see any financial compensation for doing it. Their close contacts might be out and about while the person with symptoms is at home, still not showing positive on a less accurate RAT.

Free, accurate and timely testing is still loving important.

But in Vic you can say you don't have access to RATs and they should still give you a PCR, and probably a box of RATs too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Modern day Banjo Paterson.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eediot Jedi posted:

Modern day Banjo Paterson.

The oval office from Snowy River

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Most likely PCR tests cost money so they want to limit how many they're giving away for free

Coming soon: means-tested PCRs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Thankfully since 2020 people have only been able to get sick from COVID, all other diseases have been eradicated

You only get $750 for covid tho and if ratty isn't working you get poo poo

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

It's gatekeeping healthcare. The point is to make it too hard for you to get a PCR test and so keep the cost down. See also: reduction in telehealth billing codes, despite them being massively popular with doctors and patients.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Recoome posted:

Apparently

JBP posted:

Not to mention the numbers for covid are soaring again but the most accurate form of testing is limited.

I think I heard Albanese say that all the new covid payouts would be covered 50/50 by Commonwealth and State governments. Which is fine if you're WA or maybe Queensland and SA.

JBP has been talking about this for months, but it's hard to overstate just how dire things are financially in Victoria at the moment. I don't think you need a particularly conspiratorial mind to come to this conclusion.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It's gatekeeping healthcare. The point is to make it too hard for you to get a PCR test and so keep the cost down. See also: reduction in telehealth billing codes, despite them being massively popular with doctors and patients.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

RATs are of dubious value for the current COVID strains

Animal Friend posted:

Apparently

Not to mention the numbers for covid are soaring again but the most accurate form of testing is limited.

I think I heard Albanese say that all the new covid payouts would be covered 50/50 by Commonwealth and State governments. Which is fine if you're WA or maybe Queensland and SA.

JBP has been talking about this for months, but it's hard to overstate just how dire things are financially in Victoria at the moment. I don't think you need a particularly conspiratorial mind to come to this conclusion.

maybe Victoria should pull itself up by it's bootstraps like excellent NSW, WA, or QLD. It worked for the other lifter states.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Anecdotally, when people I know have had RATs they haven't detected the covid until you were fully symptomatic and the PCR was able to detect it before then.

My mate also got locked down from a false pos from a RAT and then a negative from a follow up PCR. A RAT is just a rough guess, you don't actually know until you get a PCR.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We've got too many projects on the go but it's fine long term. Nobody budgeted for a worldwide pandemic which is honestly pretty stupid, but the metro tunnel and west gate tunnel are done soon which is a huge boon.

I hope the state government moves to land tax for flatter income rather than relying on house prices go up forever. I think Sydney moved to this model. Ultimately I think we are at 19% of the states revenue in debt so it's not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, but it will increase year on year for a bit and the coming recession will be a struggle.

E: I remain insanely mad having negotiated with them over support for state employees last year (they were exempt from jobkeeper) and it being like pulling loving teeth to get support for a few thousand precarious employees

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 19, 2022

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm keen for when Metro tunnel is done, driving past the new station at the Domain Interchange looks cooler every time I go by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

We've got too many projects on the go but it's fine long term. Nobody budgeted for a worldwide pandemic which is honestly pretty stupid, but the metro tunnel and west gate tunnel are done soon which is a huge boon.

I hope the state government moves to land tax for flatter income rather than relying on house prices go up forever. I think Sydney moved to this model. Ultimately I think we are at 19% of the states revenue in debt so it's not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, but it will increase year on year for a bit and the coming recession will be a struggle.

E: I remain insanely mad having negotiated with them over support for state employees last year (they were exempt from jobkeeper) and it being like pulling loving teeth to get support for a few thousand precarious employees

Long term will be fine for sure and I'm not criticising the Andrews government for where they were at the start of the pandemic. There's a lot I feel you can criticise Dan for but the infrastructure builds were overdue just had to be done. There was no way of predicting the pandemic much less how it would affect Victoria specifically. If it were raining palaces we'd be hit with the dunny door.

I was told to be prepared for a lot of state jobs to be offhanded to the councils to run with less staff and tighter budgets so that's going to be fun.

bell jar posted:

I'm keen for when Metro tunnel is done, driving past the new station at the Domain Interchange looks cooler every time I go by

It is really neat to have seen it go up over time and the areas it's changing. Where I was living in South Yarra last year was right where it went under by South Yarra station and it looks like they're going to put a huge walkable green space over what was originally just some grass next to the tracks. Domain Interchange station alone will fix a lot of connection issues.

Now reopen the St Kilda line as a real rail line again you cowards :argh: