Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i imagine it'll fill up a bit in the second half as more mexico fans file in for their match against jamaica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

defenders look switched off atm

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
THAT ONE COUNTS, LET'S GO PURCE!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ArtButSports/status/1544127265314840577

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lmao

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Fun stat from here: https://theathletic.com/news/uswnt-haiti-concacaf-w-championship/pIUC3Mj0Qpjq/

With the victory, USWNT has now won 27 consecutive matches in CONCACAF tournaments dating back to 2010, outscoring opponents 139-0 in those matches.

Well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hey, now there's a match to point at when people say the USWNT gets every call.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Anyone itt fancy making a thread for the women's euros? Be nice to try and make a fuss about the only international tournament this summer

I saw the Portugal WNT bus parked outside the old Debenhams in Liverpool the other day. The bus was empty so maybe they went to the chippy over the road idk

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the sex ghost posted:

Anyone itt fancy making a thread for the women's euros? Be nice to try and make a fuss about the only international tournament this summer

I saw the Portugal WNT bus parked outside the old Debenhams in Liverpool the other day. The bus was empty so maybe they went to the chippy over the road idk

The concacaf W championship is on right now!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Concacaf? Never heard of it mate

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You can't have Concacaf without a little caca.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

ruh roh

https://www.espn.com/soccer/spain-espw/story/4695056/euro-2022-spains-alexia-putellas-a-doubt-after-suffering-knee-injury-in-training

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Confirmed ACL tear, brutal

Mr. Mambold posted:

You can't have Concacaf without a little caca.

:hmmyes:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

christine sinclair still scoring goals

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I made a thread for the euros: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006446

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sophia Smith just went HAM on Jamaica, god drat

e: Twice now, but I'm pretty sure they ref just made a wild-rear end guess as to whether that ball actually went in

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 8, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Dang, two goals lost to offsides already.

Also, watching the replays of the second actual goal, the arc of the Jamaican defender's leg seemed to be entirely inside the goal, so I have to imagine the ball did cross the line before she kicked it out.

edit: ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 8, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a rather ho-hum 5-0 win

e: Holy hell, Mexico lost 3-0 to Haiti. They need to beat the US (lifetime record: 1W 29L 1D) and Haiti-Jamaica needs to not end in a draw in order to even have a prayer of making next year's World Cup. Looking forward to stadiums being even emptier after the host country crashes out of the tournament scoring 0 goals.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 8, 2022

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm a season ticket holder for Gotham, but I got to see Angel City play a home match against San Diego tonight. That was unbelievably cool. Announced attendance was 22k. Crazy atmosphere and really good match as well.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

what the hell is ViX and why is mexico vs. the u.s. on it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Streaming service from Univision.

It is also on Paramount+ like the rest of the games in this competition.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a super unconvincing win

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mexico last in the group while playing on home soil is a big oof

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Quite a bit of NWSL news dropped today

*Final reported to be played at Audi Field on Oct 28 (maybe not make it at goddamn noon EST this time?)
*Investment into fixing reffing (yes please) and broadcast quality (see tweet below)
*Competitive bidding process for 2 expansion teams

https://twitter.com/EqualizerSoccer/status/1546266593449152514

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

CONCACAF W final will be US vs. Canada (Monday, 10PM EST), as most expected. Both teams had a perfect group stage, scoring 9 and conceding 0, and won their semifinal matchup 3-0 <insert Spiderman pointing meme here>. Winner qualifies directly for the 2024 Olympics.

Third place match will be Jamaica vs. Costa Rica (Monday, 7PM EST), with the winner of that match playing the loser of the final next year for the other CONCACAF spot in the Olympics.

All 4 of these teams have qualified directly for next year's World Cup in Australia/New Zealand, while Panama and Haiti (3rd place group finishers) will go to a intra-confederation playoff for the three outstanding spots.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

It does not feel like the USWNT is going to beat Canada. C'mon team, prove me wrong.

edit: goddamn that was a sick breakaway, too bad we couldn't convert it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dunno, seems like the US has had much better moments thus far and has been doing a decent job on the counter.

Certainly more exciting than the 3rd place game for sure (Jamaica won 1-0 scoring at 102' with the only SOG that wasn't travelling 2MPH straight at the keeper).

edit: Pugh should've buried that ffs

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 19, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, whole lotta tough misses so far but eventually one of the dang things has gotta connect, there’ve been so many

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Rose Lavelle is my favorite player, but I feel like she's botched multiple scoring opportunities in this game. :(

edit: SMITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Oh goddamnit smith

Edit: TWICE

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US definitely deserved a goal, even if it came from a PK.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

ALEX loving MORGAN

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pretty cool for Paramount+ to poo poo the bed during ET.

edit: :toot::911::toot:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 19, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Goddamn, glad Naeher caught that clean to end it.

Not an amazing tournament, but the USWNT did what it needed to. Personally, I'd like to see Rodman and Purce get a little more time going forward.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

For as underwhelming as the US looked during that match, they made Canada look even worse. Canada pretty much nothing going forward and they were forced into quite a few midfield turnovers that led to counters that should've led to some goddamn goals.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Considering her age, Canada is still frighteningly reliant on Christine Sinclair to make them look good in attack against decent teams. What the hell are they going to do when she actually retires?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1554258603904737280?s=20&t=BWULUscTGAG-ekq0GZfN2w

:ughh:

As a palate cleanser, watch these highlights and the absolute bangers in the second half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6IumHHmAA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

*pretends to be shocked*

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson posted:

The eternal geniuses at the football federation decided to change the way the Norwegian women's league, Toppserien, works. The new system was postponed for two years due to corona, but it was finally implemented this year and it's a mess.

Instead of having a normal winner and relegation playoff at the end of the season it's now split into a "regular season" where the ten teams play a regular set of matches against each other until the table is sorted and then divided into a Top Four group and a Bottom Six. The Top Four start the playoff with 6, 4, 2 and 0 points depending on where they ended up, and then they play two games against each other and the winner and runner-up gets the Champions League spots for next year. Meanwhile the Bottom Six gets joined by the Top Two from the 1st Division and they play to avoid relegation, with the #7 and #8 team getting relegated, while the #6 team plays a qualifier against the winner of the Bottom Eight in the 1st Division.

Now that leaves 5 teams at least with not much to gain or lose from playing a new round of games as they're pretty safe from relegation and originally the thought was to give the best team in the Bottom Six the 2nd Champions League spot, so they have something to play for. But that was changed... uhhh... a week before the season started. Which kinda tracks with the intention of this change being to increase the co-efficiency of the Norwegian league in the UEFA rankings, by having the best teams in the league play more games against each other and thus get more practice against tougher teams. But there's so many downsides to this change and I think one of the coaches for one of the Top Four teams proposed just doing a playoff league with two best Swedish and Danish teams, which sounds infinitely better and more practical.

NRK sent out a questionnaire to every team and player in the league and one (1) player was positive towards the new system.

We're entering the final stage of the "regular season" and the supporter groups for five clubs (including three of the top clubs) are refusing to acknowledge the system. Which in effect means that they're boycotting all the matches in the Top Four-playoff and are calling it quits after August 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/AVWFCOfficial/status/1557033835996618753

Bolded as per the transfer thread tradition. She spent 6 years in Houston.