Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hated it in Skyrim. Limited gold so I'd have to fast travel to multiple merchants to unload my loot which is a waste of time in of itself, but then it becomes and even bigger waste of time because fast traveling gives you a bigger chance of some vampires or a dragon spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It makes sense for the Pig Merchant of Bumfuck Woods to not have enough money to buy the Amazing Gem of World Conquest for 1 billion gold but not so much in a game that lets you carry 1 billion wood daggers that sell for 1 gold.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

playing sc1 now that i'm better enough at rts games to do the campaign without cheating and gently caress enemy arbiters. they're so perfect at doing stasis traps and it's really irritating.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Playing No More Heroes 2, and I appreciate that they changed grinding the same fights with faux-retro 8bit minigames.

The thing that gets me, though, is that they're a perfect imitation of bad 8bit games. Like something left over in the budget bin. Forgotten in the video store. Published by Jaleco.

The same four levels. The janky controls. I kind of admire the joke, but then I realize the game still expects me to grind these.

Honestly, it might be an element of the game that just didn't age well. When it came out in 2010, the whole retro revival wasn't in full swing yet. I could totally see this being original and quirky, enough to overlook the jank.

But since then, we've had games like Shovel Knight leading the charge of an 8bit revival, we've had plenty of rereleases and remasters, and we've seen how you can take these old games and make them feel incredibly tight on modern hardware.

The pizza delivery game is okay, but it looses a lit of its shine if I have M2's re-release of OutRun sitting right next to it on my Switch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Playing No More Heroes 2, and I appreciate that they changed grinding the same fights with faux-retro 8bit minigames.

The thing that gets me, though, is that they're a perfect imitation of bad 8bit games. Like something left over in the budget bin. Forgotten in the video store. Published by Jaleco.

The same four levels. The janky controls. I kind of admire the joke, but then I realize the game still expects me to grind these.

Honestly, it might be an element of the game that just didn't age well. When it came out in 2010, the whole retro revival wasn't in full swing yet. I could totally see this being original and quirky, enough to overlook the jank.

But since then, we've had games like Shovel Knight leading the charge of an 8bit revival, we've had plenty of rereleases and remasters, and we've seen how you can take these old games and make them feel incredibly tight on modern hardware.

The pizza delivery game is okay, but it looses a lit of its shine if I have M2's re-release of OutRun sitting right next to it on my Switch.

It's weirdly similar to the problem various mini-consoles face. An accurate representation of a console's library should rightly include some -why-the-fucks that nobody really remembers, because to get a grasp of how good Castlevania is you should learn how lovely the games around it were... but those games suck, and nobody actually wants to play them anymore.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Jul 17, 2022

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It's weirdly similar to the problem various mini-consoles face. An accurate representation of a console's library should rightly include some -why-the-fucks that nobody really remembers, because to get a grasp of how good Castlevania is you should learn how lovely the games around it were... but those games suck, and nobody actually wants to play them anymore.

I feel like the dev tools of today also help create this false memory of the past. Try playing one of the lesser games and then recreating it in something like GameMaker; it's very hard nit to end up with something feeling tighter without even trying.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My gf and I are 2 chapters into It Takes Two and while I adore the game I fully agree with May's decision to divorce Cody

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Playing the Dishonored Definitive Edition after not playing it since the original came out, and it really drives home that as great as Arkane is at making games, they are a) dogshit at achievements b) dogshit at challenge rooms and c) absolute top tier dogshit at challenge room achievements.
A couple of the Dunwall Trials are neat, but they're all pretty brutal and there's no way I'm three starring everything. I don't miss that era when everything had to have a challenge room dlc

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hated it in Skyrim. Limited gold so I'd have to fast travel to multiple merchants to unload my loot which is a waste of time in of itself, but then it becomes and even bigger waste of time because fast traveling gives you a bigger chance of some vampires or a dragon spawning.

Also as I've complained about ITT before, the better at mercantile you get (and I guess indirectly the more carry capacity you obtain), the bigger pain in the rear end it becomes to actually sell everything because your items are worth more money so exhaust merchants faster. Feels completely backwards.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah and the skills that can help you are pretty far into a very useless skill tree.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm having another go at Dishonored 2, and I'm finding myself running out of steam in the same place I did last time: Jindosh Mansion. Basically, it's a mansion built by a mad clockwork genius with no sense of restraint. With the pull of a lever, almost every room can be reconfigured to take another shape, with walls moving about, furniture being switched around, even stairs growing out of the ground, with an expansive network of back rooms containing pieces that get switched in and out in a way that actually obeys physical space. It's loving beautiful, easily belongs in the hall of fame of level design and architecture.

It is, however, also an enormous pain in the rear end to actually play. To get around you basically have to memorize two levels at once as well as the location for the configuration levers, and regularly end up waiting for the somewhat lengthy reconfiguration animations to get on with it. And for all the fun mechanical tidbits and devices, the one thing that actually blocks my progress are a couple of mundane locked doors with absolutely no indication of where to actually go looking for their respective keys.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stick with it. There are some fantastic levels later in the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Perestroika posted:

I'm having another go at Dishonored 2, and I'm finding myself running out of steam in the same place I did last time: Jindosh Mansion. Basically, it's a mansion built by a mad clockwork genius with no sense of restraint. With the pull of a lever, almost every room can be reconfigured to take another shape, with walls moving about, furniture being switched around, even stairs growing out of the ground, with an expansive network of back rooms containing pieces that get switched in and out in a way that actually obeys physical space. It's loving beautiful, easily belongs in the hall of fame of level design and architecture.

It is, however, also an enormous pain in the rear end to actually play. To get around you basically have to memorize two levels at once as well as the location for the configuration levers, and regularly end up waiting for the somewhat lengthy reconfiguration animations to get on with it. And for all the fun mechanical tidbits and devices, the one thing that actually blocks my progress are a couple of mundane locked doors with absolutely no indication of where to actually go looking for their respective keys.

That sounds cool as hell.

Soul Reaver was kind of like that back in the day and I thought it was pretty awesome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

stick with it. There are some fantastic levels later in the game.

I'm not sure I could recommend that, given that most players would say the clockwork mansion is the best level in the series. Although the Time travel level is cool, even if Titanfall 2 did it better

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

That sounds cool as hell.

Soul Reaver was kind of like that back in the day and I thought it was pretty awesome.

There's a great level later in the game where you switch back and forth from the present to the past that is very reminiscent of Soul Reaver.

It's too bad it's behind one of the worst puzzles in any game ever. Apparently Arkane hated speed runners just memorizing safe combos , so they made a puzzle that changes every time you play. It's a terrible " the lady in a red dress orddred 2 plates of spaghetti, and gave one to the lady wearing a duck hat. What color were the socks of the first lady" puzzles. I love Dishonored 1& 2, but will never play past that level. Too bad, because there are some great levels after thst.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Perestroika posted:

The extra fun fact is that Jindosh becomes alerted to the fact that you're in the level either when you get spotted, or whenever you interact with the mechanical contraptions. Breaking things doesn't count.

This means that (and there's an achievement for it) you can complete the entire level up to killing/dealing with him without ever actually reconfiguring a room or alerting him to the fact that you're around.

(At the start of the level, instead of pushing the obvious button, break a glass ceiling and jump through it; the rest is just an exercise in proceeding from there)

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There's a great level later in the game where you switch back and forth from the present to the past that is very reminiscent of Soul Reaver.

It's too bad it's behind one of the worst puzzles in any game ever. Apparently Arkane hated speed runners just memorizing safe combos , so they made a puzzle that changes every time you play. It's a terrible " the lady in a red dress orddred 2 plates of spaghetti, and gave one to the lady wearing a duck hat. What color were the socks of the first lady" puzzles. I love Dishonored 1& 2, but will never play past that level. Too bad, because there are some great levels after thst.

The entire rest of that level exists to do a bunch of sneaking around and stabbing people in order to get given the answer though. You're never forced to actually do the puzzle unless you want to skip it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quite literally think outside the box. Jindosh made the box and screw him, get behind the walls while they're moving like a rat in the maze. That's how I managed to get around, minimal wall jiggling but I do recall having to do so to get some rafters to be reachable with my powers. Getting to the basement iirc kind of requires squeezing under the floor because you really aren't supposed to be there!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The cheevo is nice but what's more rewarding is Jindosh's confusion as you progress through the level

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Opopanax posted:

I'm not sure I could recommend that, given that most players would say the clockwork mansion is the best level in the series. Although the Time travel level is cool, even if Titanfall 2 did it better

Same. I think the Mansion is the peak of that game. Didnt reach same heights as first game imo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

are you actually serious

you don't have to do the puzzle, the whole level next to the door is there to get you through it without having to solve it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Difficulty settings tend to be modular these days, so having a switch for static puzzle solutions/randomized puzzle solutions would be a novel idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also that is my favorite puzzle in dishonored 2 because it's a logic grid puzzle and I do that sort of thing for fun. I solve the puzzle and then do the level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Difficulty settings tend to be modular these days, so having a switch for static puzzle solutions/randomized puzzle solutions would be a novel idea.

Silent Hill had puzzle difficulty settings and more he's should do the same.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

marshmallow creep posted:

Silent Hill had puzzle difficulty settings and more he's should do the same.

The problem is then you have to design like four different puzzles for every puzzle in the game, and then sequence them correctly in difficulty. And half the time developers can't even design one good puzzle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cleretic posted:

The problem is then you have to design like four different puzzles for every puzzle in the game, and then sequence them correctly in difficulty. And half the time developers can't even design one good puzzle.

The Silent Hill 3 hospital keypad puzzle on hard is legendary if you ask me.

ofc I never played it, I have just seen other people suffer through it for the better part of an hour before they look up the solution :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I forget what game it was but I remember a puzzle where you were hiding and watching a goon punch in a key code through a mirror. I entered that fucker like 5 times, certain I saw it correctly, before I finally figured out that it would be backwards from the reflection. I thought that was genuinely clever.

Might have been Splinter Cell.

Most puzzles in video games in general are pretty lame now that I think about it. Slide objects onto pressure plates and match up symbols on a dial or some poo poo. I'm hard pressed to remember many really interesting ones over the years.

I liked the RE7 shadow/rotation one with the slide projector.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was a splinter cell keypad where you can look at it with thermal vision and the keys are shown slightly less warm in the order they were pressed, that was pretty novel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also on the note of the Dishonored 2 puzzle, while the right answer changes the correct format of the answers and the layout of the puzzle doesn't, so the online solutions just read weird of "take the first name given, put it in the fourth answer slot" etc.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

I get unreasonably happy whenever the first pass code in a game is 0451.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I get unreasonably happy whenever the first pass code in a game is 0451.

Guardians of the Galaxy does this and its such a weird moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget what game it was but I remember a puzzle where you were hiding and watching a goon punch in a key code through a mirror. I entered that fucker like 5 times, certain I saw it correctly, before I finally figured out that it would be backwards from the reflection. I thought that was genuinely clever.

You do that in Arkham Knight so that's probably what you're thinking of.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If you suck at the puzzle Batman just gives up after a few attempts and punches the lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswnxuZoHhM&t=6s

The code of course is the date of Batman's debut.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you suck at the puzzle Batman just gives up after a few attempts and punches the lock.

Honestly this should be a mechanic for every non-puzzle game that includes puzzles

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly this should be a mechanic for every non-puzzle game that includes puzzles

I think it’s getting to be a growing trend, I remember the remake of the first Ratchet and Clank game just having an option to auto-solve puzzles, along with I think A Crack in Time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game Trover Saves the Universe has something similar where at the start of the game you run into a puzzle that keeps getting more complex before you just break it and move on.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Deathloop randomly generates its key codes and the first one is not 0451 (or maybe it is if you’re extremely lucky), but you do get an achievement for trying it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Last Celebration posted:

I think it’s getting to be a growing trend, I remember the remake of the first Ratchet and Clank game just having an option to auto-solve puzzles, along with I think A Crack in Time

Yep, I used it once or twice in Crack in Time. I don't want to skip through whole games, but it's nice to have for every once in a while (or for any slide puzzle ever).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

We can't trust people to be able to do puzzles, we can't even trust people to fish in the right place in Nier. Including me, I was one of those people. I still maintain that was a deliberate troll maneuver by Yoko Taro.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jul 19, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i loving hate puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even as someone who generally likes puzzles, I feel like fairly often I end up waylaid by one for no greater reason than I'm in brain-off mode and don't have the capacity to solve one at that exact moment.

Or I get misled and go down a total red herring of a rabbit hole because in actuality the puzzle is way simpler or way more complicated than I estimated.

Or I just say to hell with it because some puzzles go way too far and involve inputting a hundred different steps after you already know the answer.