Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fun hater posted:

this is such weird timing but they may be compelled to explain how they calculate bots in court over the musk thing lol

We know at this point. They automate deletion of the blatantly obvious bots. Of the users that remain, they take ~9000 random ones every quarter and hire people to manually judge if they're real or not, and then they extrapolate the percentages from that. Like most statistical science it sounds like it shouldn't work but it ends up being surprisingly accurate. Of course, Musk's response to this has been tweeting "💩" and telling them they should be using an AI to do it, since obviously it's so easy to automate bot detection, it's not like that has been a constant struggle since the invention of the internet or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maybe they should just hire people to dress up as an AI and tell investors that it's coming soon.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

I kinda dipped into watching medieval history and weaponry channels and I wish I had searched this thread for talk of Shadiversity before I started watching his channel after seeing it listed in the first post. That dude is an insufferable shithead.

Another channel I stumbled on - Wristwatch Revival - is great, however.
Yeah unfortunately history youtubesmen are a pretty mixed bag. Most people qualified to do it don't have time to make edited youtube videos and just put up podcasts or text blogs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skallagrim and Scholagladiatoria are enough for me with medieval stuff. Lindybeige when he gets on an entertaining tangent. Otherwise steer clear.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lindybeige is a joke in the MilHistory thread, dude don't know poo poo

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Skallagrim and Scholagladiatoria are enough for me with medieval stuff. Lindybeige when he gets on an entertaining tangent. Otherwise steer clear.

Yeah, I'm really liking Scholagladiatoria a lot. There are some videos where he is looking at museum pieces (on the museum's website) and talking about them that are really cool. An example of that was his video on poleaxes.

Skallagrim is alright but a lot of his videos are 2 hour long Q&As which aren't really what I'm looking for.

I also enjoy Jason Kingsley's content at ModernHistoryTV. The subject of one of his recent videos is a medieval hand cart he had made and he just seemed so enamored and smitten with it and the sound it made as it trundled along. :3:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 19, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unperson_47 posted:

I kinda dipped into watching medieval history and weaponry channels and I wish I had searched this thread for talk of Shadiversity before I started watching his channel after seeing it listed in the first post. That dude is an insufferable shithead.

Another channel I stumbled on - Wristwatch Revival - is great, however.

yea I don't think Shadiversity is, like, the bad kind of lovely but boy is he just an insufferable bore. If you want fun sword/middle ages poo poo Skallagrim does his bit way better, and yea like said Scholagladitoria is good for actual analysis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Lindybeige is a joke in the MilHistory thread, dude don't know poo poo

I didn't say he was accurate, I said he was entertaining. And he is. He's a guy who's clearly enthusiastic about the stuff he likes, to the point where he gets caught up in it even when his reading is completely off.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't think Shadiversity is, like, the bad kind of lovely but boy is he just an insufferable bore. If you want fun sword/middle ages poo poo Skallagrim does his bit way better, and yea like said Scholagladitoria is good for actual analysis.

The dude's latest video is him complaining about the Youtube algorithm "censoring" him because of his political leanings and Christian beliefs while he has launched a second Youtube channel all about him buying a huge plot of land and building literal castles for himself.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't say he was accurate, I said he was entertaining. And he is. He's a guy who's clearly enthusiastic about the stuff he likes, to the point where he gets caught up in it even when his reading is completely off.

being entertaining but wrong is a problem lol it doesnt matter how "enthusiastic" he is, that's such a bare minimum requirement for a hobbyist

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

The dude's latest video is him complaining about the Youtube algorithm "censoring" him because of his political leanings and Christian beliefs while he has launched a second Youtube channel all about him buying a huge plot of land and building literal castles for himself.

i would like to learn more about this insane man

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like isn't Shadiversity kinda racist. And by that I mean a huge loving racist who does not like people who aren't white? I seem to recall this dude (and his hangers on) don't like people who aren't white.

E:

Like going on an hour-long rant with his buddy about how a person of colour being cast in a fantasy TV show makes him big mad kinda racist.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 19, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've been getting recommended northernlion videos, probably because i watched a jerma stream vod where he did sporcle quizzes, i forget if he's one of the badmen or if he's nice

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

i've been getting recommended northernlion videos, probably because i watched a jerma stream vod where he did sporcle quizzes, i forget if he's one of the badmen or if he's nice

Looking at his YouTube channel there doesn't seem to be any obvious red flags, like poo poo that pops out these days that you can immediately tell someone is a prick and not worth your time at all, so yeah it seems fine to me.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Like isn't Shadiversity kinda racist. And by that I mean a huge loving racist who does not like people who aren't white? I seem to recall this dude (and his hangers on) don't like people who aren't white.

E:

Like going on an hour-long rant with his buddy about how a person of colour being cast in a fantasy TV show makes him big mad kinda racist.

He made some comments in a video about a Bollywood action movie with actors essentially wearing blackface to appear like wild barbarians or somesuch, praising them for not having a problem with it and saying how everyone is so sensitive about it elsewhere.

Dude is either racist or incredibly ignorant. Probably both.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Isn't shad an Ozzie? Racism is kind of part of the parcel there.

I'll also throw out a very mixed rec for Metatron, with the caveat that the dude gets incredibly worked up about historically inaccurate black people and women in historical dramas.

Knight errant was good, had a few videos comparing replicas to historical armor, but I haventnwatched much there for ages

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Alaois posted:

Anyone who is still on good terms with Slowbeef I'd assume is unproblematic

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

northernlion's decent people. he's got deranged opinions on completely mundane things like how you shouldn't be allowed to order more than two kinds of meat at a deli counter but he's not a bigot or a shithead

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ivypls posted:

northernlion's decent people. he's got deranged opinions on completely mundane things like how you shouldn't be allowed to order more than two kinds of meat at a deli counter but he's not a bigot or a shithead

Now hold on just a minute there. What the gently caress. There is nothing wrong with, within moderation, taking all sorts of meat like some sort of deranged meatman at a deli counter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ivypls posted:

idk that sounds reasonable to me, don't want people clogging up the queue by asking the delicatessen to slice up 8 different meats at the same time

fun hater
May 24, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Now hold on just a minute there. What the gently caress. There is nothing wrong with, within moderation, taking all sorts of meat like some sort of deranged meatman at a deli counter.

i love this

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Alaois posted:

idk that sounds reasonable to me, don't want people clogging up the queue by asking the delicatessen to slice up 8 different meats at the same time

As a former deli worker, if there is not a crowd of people, sure, order as many meats as you want you hosed up meat guy

NOW that being SAID--people who order "just one or two slices" of 8 different meats and or cheeses? can gently caress all the way off no matter how busy or not it is. :fuckoff:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 19, 2022

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

As a former deli worker, if there is not a crowd of people, sure, order as many meats as you want you hosed up meat guy

NOW that being SAID--people who order "just one or two slices" of 8 different meats and or cheeses? can gently caress all the way off no matter how busy or not it is. :fuckoff:

For a platter of different meats and cheese would I be better off buying a variety deli meat and cheese plate prepackaged? Just asking to not be a bother during grocery shopping.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Annointed posted:

For a platter of different meats and cheese would I be better off buying a variety deli meat and cheese plate prepackaged? Just asking to not be a bother during grocery shopping.

All customers are a bother. Retail is a special kind of hell.

Serious answer, most delis will let you special order platters a day or so in advance for pick-up. And honestly, I don't think I've ever had a bad pre-packaged platter.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The big question really is if this is better or worse than a patron at a bar only giving 1 or 2 drinks of their round at a time and then finishing off with "...and a pint of Guinness please".

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

E:

doughy bearded white guys complaining about diversity and inclusion in media?

what a novel idea! how might i cash in on this new field of media analysis

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't think Shadiversity is, like, the bad kind of lovely

Are you sure about that? Because these are some massive red flags, so big they're visible from space.

nine-gear crow posted:

E:

Unperson_47 posted:

He made some comments in a video about a Bollywood action movie with actors essentially wearing blackface to appear like wild barbarians or somesuch, praising them for not having a problem with it and saying how everyone is so sensitive about it elsewhere.

Dude is either racist or incredibly ignorant. Probably both.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm always surprised when a YouTube channel, with a pretty singular focus, is surprised when people get tired of their videos after a few years. Like, of course you'll probably find your views diminishing... there's only some many videos about cooking with bacon/which sword is best/etc. people want to watch before they get bored and want something else.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Shadiversity wrote some insanely terrible sounding fantasy book where the main character is some edgy conqueror who raped a lot of women but now he's reformed.

(I think. Have not read it, I just enjoyed browsing the 1 star goodreads reviews.)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Don't eat deli meat, it's nothing but nitrates and fat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

Don't eat deli meat, it's nothing but nitrates and fat

nitrates and fat are delicious

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gabagool? Ova heah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unperson_47 posted:

lol uh oh!!!!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Are you sure about that? Because these are some massive red flags, so big they're visible from space.

I haven't watched his poo poo in a while so I obviously forgot he is indeed the lovely kind of bad

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

lol uh oh!!!!!!

Lmao yeah good to know, I'll be avoiding him from now on.

Not medieval but the WW2 Every Week (or w/ev it's called) channel by Indy Neidell is cool as far as history goes. Their subseries charting every atrocity in the war in exacting detail is pretty loving miserable to watch (in a good way).

This is of course the part where posters inform me that Indy Neidell is actual the titular Proud Boy himself or something.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Haha maybe someone should edit the recommendation for the Australian history racist out of the OP so nobody else accidentally poisons their youtube browsing history?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

E:

I can't help but just laugh at these losers. Captain Keyes in the Halo show being changed to a black man also caused some people to have a racist meltdown. Oh no, a show being updated to reflect the times! This is the worst thing to happen to humanity since the Holocaust! Except now it's the white race being exterminated!!!

Characters literally the same, except they have a darker skin tone. It's gonna be a sight to behold if the show removes the more gross and lovely aspects of the books.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

fun hater posted:

this is such weird timing but they may be compelled to explain how they calculate bots in court over the musk thing lol

It’s because it’s a hit piece, op. The digital edition of zsjl releases today and this article came out yesterday because there’s still one or two people at WB who are upset snyder got their favorite sex pest duo blacklisted from the industry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jimbot posted:

I can't help but just laugh at these losers. Captain Keyes in the Halo show being changed to a black man also caused some people to have a racist meltdown. Oh no, a show being updated to reflect the times! This is the worst thing to happen to humanity since the Holocaust! Except now it's the white race being exterminated!!!

This goes way back, too. On Star Trek Voyager, there were similar things of people saying "A BLACK Vulcan?" in exactly the same tone people in Blazing Saddles would go "A BLACK Sheriff?" Of course then the racist Trekkies would then try to science at you why somebody from a desert planet couldn't have dark skin.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nine-gear crow posted:

E:

While I don't doubt the dude is racist, its funny that yet again a red haired woman is replaced with a black woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

This goes way back, too. On Star Trek Voyager, there were similar things of people saying "A BLACK Vulcan?" in exactly the same tone people in Blazing Saddles would go "A BLACK Sheriff?" Of course then the racist Trekkies would then try to science at you why somebody from a desert planet couldn't have dark skin.

That just reminds me of when the live action remake of The Little Mermaid was announced and a bunch of CHUDs were bending over backwards about how a mermaid having dark skin was scientifically inaccurate...