Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Question for people who understand Japanese better than me. I'm learning my hiragana so I noticed that Natto's videos have the wrestler names in it above the kanji.

For Endo, there is a う at the end that I wouldn't have expected

Is that a half voiced kind of sound that I'm not picking up when Japanese speakers say his name? A written character but not something actually pronounced? Is his shikona more properly romanized to 'Enhou' like I've seen Endo/Endou written?

It is pronounced, by extending the vowel sound for an additional beat. I think it's pretty common for learners find long vowels in japanese hard to hear at first, especially in fast natural speech, but it's surprisingly noticeable once your ear is trained to listen for it. Think about the word "home" in english, it has a similar long vowel sound built in and sounds wrong if you say it with a very short ho sound.

People are just really inconsistent about how they romanize the long sounds, hence eg tokyo, actually とうきょう, sumo, actually すもう, among countless other examples

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Liquid Communism posted:

Imagine any yokozuna today's reaction to knowing that any special tournament they enter they may end up facing a Hakuho who's had a couple years to get proper medical treatment and rehab. :allears:

This guy ruled he was only 5'7" and is still the lightest yokozuna of all time at 104kg. He won 9 yusho with 6 zensho-yusho.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the way my kids are taught in school to show long vowels ending in う or otherwise in rômaji is to write the vowel with that hat diacritic on top. so Enho would be Enhô, Endo is Endô, Tokyo is Tôkyô etc

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Thanks for the language explanations. I'm just at the stage of learning and writing my basic kana so I haven't gotten into more complication pronunciation stuff at all.

My current level of practice though sumo is helping me learn a few more than these.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
SHODAI

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Second week Shodai best Shodai.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

S H O D A I

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So I originally traded Onosho for Ichiyamamoto, I take it now that Ichiyamamoto is out from COVID I auto-trade to my other pick from that bracket, Nishikifuji? Or do I wind up with Onosho again, because that would also be funny. :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I love that people can post SHODAI in this thread and I'm never spoiled on the outcome of his match either way.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Teru vs Endo was great!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kenning posted:

I am unaware of any circumstance where a basho that was not cancelled wasn't fought to completion, but this would be the one if any, jfc. I'm going to have to reread the autotrading rules to determine whether Ichiyamamoto gets traded out for Day 9 or Day 10, I can't remember atm.

This tournament has big Brawl for All energy. We've already had a couple stables pull out with rank protection so how is that going to affect the banzuke moving forward? Also, how are wrestlers going to feel when they fight 15 days and lose rank while somebody withdrawing after day 7 will not fall? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Question for people who understand Japanese better than me. I'm learning my hiragana so I noticed that Natto's videos have the wrestler names in it above the kanji.

For Endo, there is a う at the end that I wouldn't have expected

Is that a half voiced kind of sound that I'm not picking up when Japanese speakers say his name? A written character but not something actually pronounced? Is his shikona more properly romanized to 'Enhou' like I've seen Endo/Endou written?

already answered but fyi that's enho/えんほう/炎鵬  and not  endo/えんどう/遠藤。guessing it was just a typo but wanted to point that out. and yeah both nhk and abema have furigana (little hiragana characters) above the kanji explaining how to pronounce their names. from what i gather a lot of shikona kanji are kinda archaic/obscure to native japanese people and there's plenty of kanji in shikona like 山 that can use either the on'yomi reading (san/zan) and the kun'yomi reading (yama). idk how obvious it would be to a japanese person who doesn't follow sumo which reading would be used in a random shikona without them.

you can also see names like that romanized "oh" in non sumo contexts. the pro wrestler keiji muto for example i've seen written as muto, mutoh, and mutö but never mutou

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 18, 2022

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
god sumo is so fuckin sick

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

This tournament has big Brawl for All energy. We've already had a couple stables pull out with rank protection so how is that going to affect the banzuke moving forward? Also, how are wrestlers going to feel when they fight 15 days and lose rank while somebody withdrawing after day 7 will not fall? Doesn't make much sense to me.

They've gotten lucky so far in that the drops withdrawals won't really affect anyone else. Keeping Mita at Ozeki doesn't block anyone and 6 wins for Ichiyamamoto would have been enough to keep him in Makkuchi anyways. And with Ichinojo, they've already established that giving guys the promotion they deserve takes precedence over full rank protection.

And we've been talking about ways to not incentivize people for being idiots and fighting when they are clearly hurt so 'd rather them expand it and protect more people than letting people drop. But they are afraid people will abuse the system so it only applies to COVID where the wrestlers/stables are clearly not the ones making the decision to stay/kyujo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Thauros posted:

idk how obvious it would be to a japanese person who doesn't follow sumo which reading would be used in a random shikona without them.

Not very. Source: our 85 yo Japanese neighbour who we watch sumo with. Some of the obscure pronunciations make her shake her head.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shodai.

Silly Abi still going for Shodai’s head when that is by FAR the least important thing to Lord Shodai’s sumo

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Not very. Source: our 85 yo Japanese neighbour who we watch sumo with. Some of the obscure pronunciations make her shake her head.

Sumostew had a video about shikona where she tried to have a Japanese friend read/decipher what they mean and he had no idea.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Me: If I manage to get good enough at Japanese, I'll be able to read all of my sumo stuff!
Old Japanese People: lol no

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't know how Shodai keeps getting away with it but I'm glad he does.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

bessantj posted:

I don't know how Shodai keeps getting away with it but I'm glad he does.

I swear its because he just looks like he has no idea where he is or what he is doing 99% of the time. It owns and it is why he is the best rikishi.

This is the face of a man that says "Where the gently caress am I and how do I get home?"

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Shodai's greatest strength is Edge Bullshit. You'll see his head doggone near be pushed off, his heels on the tawara, his sad expression. Then he'll surge - the feet move forward while his head still points at the roof, wondering. Frozen in Shodai.

His feet keep moving, he's somehow now in the middle of the dohyo and his opponent is slowly falling over. Shodai wins. It could be his first win, his second, or his third. He's nearing 8 wins we know that much. His strengths may be unbecoming of an Ozeki but by the spirit of sumo does Shodai bring them when he really has to.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Not sure of the translation but:

Sumo Tournament Nagoya Tournament, Day 9 (August 18, Dolphins Arena) Shodai, who was 1-4 in the early rounds of the kadobanjo, finally got his fourth straight win, putting him ahead of the white star. He finally put a white star ahead of the rest of the field. He fought off a thrust from below by hitting Aflame in the throat with his left hand, and then pushed off with a left hand. Compared to his losing streak, I am gradually finding my pace," he said.

A few days ago, when Magaki (former yokozuna Hakuho) saw that his body was dry before a bout, he told him, "Sweat properly and warm yourself up before you go. If you do that, you will be able to crack your hips better than usual," he advised him. The ozeki's movement is improving, and he said positively, "If I can stop being pushed into sumo, the results will follow.

Yeah, he can roll out of bed and Ozeki. Hail Shodai.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I've been aroused from posting slumber after losing my boy Ichiyamamoto to COVID kyujo :(

Please replace him with either Oho or Chiyoshoma, as per my initial picks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Gotta say I was expecting a lot more out endo at m5

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Gotta say I was expecting a lot more out endo at m5

I said it either in this thread or the last, Endo at M8 and below= Good for 12+ wins, Endo above M8= Will get absolutely worked.

He is basically Shodai if Shodai didn't have that crazy run.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I swear its because he just looks like he has no idea where he is or what he is doing 99% of the time. It owns and it is why he is the best rikishi.

This is the face of a man that says "Where the gently caress am I and how do I get home?"

I don't know if it's still the case, but he used to never check who he'd be fighting that day.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but he used to never check who he'd be fighting that day.

Lmao, of course.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Shodai exists with the energy of the Edo guest ozeki. A man content with his life, willing to fight other guys if they come around, if he has to.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

This unironically owns. I’m ride or die Shodai in future now

Edit: imagine just showing up to the bout and seeing Hakuho. “Aw, gently caress, oh well”

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I don’t know how I have three guys on my team all tied for first, but I’m assuming something horrible is going to happen because my fantasy team is never a winning fantasy team.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
"shodai" is perhaps the most powerful statement about a fight you can make that makes no indication as to who won at all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Put this in perspective: he literally just shows up once every 4 (four) months, gets 8-7, refuses to elaborate & leaves.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
*nods wisely* shodai

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

God I love Shodai

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 19, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think daishoho’s nose got broken in tachi-ai. The ref paused the match and the yobi’s wiper up a good deal of blood, then had to salt and clean the doyo afterwards.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

heehee posted:

god sumo is so fuckin sick

Welcome to the thread, and to the glorious spectacle of grand sumo!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Due to COVID, am I allowed to trade Ichiyamamoto for Myogiryu or Oho?

I forget if it's too late to trade.

Since this happened after day 8, we're going with "second week kyujo protocol". You get a trade, but it follows the next day's fusen. You'll get Myogiryu for Day 10.

NuclearPotato posted:

I've been aroused from posting slumber after losing my boy Ichiyamamoto to COVID kyujo :(

Please replace him with either Oho or Chiyoshoma, as per my initial picks.

You will get Oho.

Mode 7 posted:

So I originally traded Onosho for Ichiyamamoto, I take it now that Ichiyamamoto is out from COVID I auto-trade to my other pick from that bracket, Nishikifuji? Or do I wind up with Onosho again, because that would also be funny. :v:

This is a very unusual circumstance, but I think I would tend to give you Nishikifuji, rather than the rikishi you had already traded away.

The other Ichiyamamoto auto-trades are as follows:

Takuan - Onosho
Flinger - Tsurugisho
Firebatgyro - Kotoshoho
Scythe - Kotoshoho

Day 9 standings

Makuuchi
code:
33	Kenning
30	EveryonesFavoritePoster
29	Charles Gnarwin
29	jmzero
29	Jobbo_Fett
28	Firebatgyro
28	Flinger
28	GoatSeeGuy
28	MyChemicalImbalance
28	NuclearPotato
28	pseuodragon
28	Vargatron
28	whats for dinner
27	Chinook
27	Eli949
27	Ice Phisherman
27	Marching Powder
27	scripterror
27	Takuan
27	Thauros
26	Iron Chef Nex
26	Tochiazuma
25.5	anakha
25	captainblastum
25	Crusty Nutsack
25	Pakled
25	sivad
25	Teddybear
24	Khizan
24	Neodoomium
24	Skjorte
24	Tiny Bug Child
24	ullerm
23	Banana Canada
23	Communist Thoughts
23	Netsky
22	bartolimu
19.5	bessantj
18.5	Robviously
17.5	Lid
16	some kinda jackal
Juryo
code:
31	Fluffdaddy
31	Maigius
30	Akiosan
28.5	Mode 7
28	Boogalo
28	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
26	Dead Goon
26	QuasiQuack
25	KungfuGrip
25	LlamaTrauma
25	Saturnine Aberrance
24	Helianthus Annuus
24	Liquid Communism
23	Kuros
23	rare Magic card l00k
23	ratmosphere
23	Xerzes
22	MalarkeyToboggan
21.5	Log082
21.5	Scythe
21	Brut
21	Gaghskull
20	Lexorin
19	ilmucche
12	Shiroc
Maybe this is my Tamawashi yusho moment.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 19, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kenning posted:

This is a very unusual circumstance, but I think I would tend to give you Nishikifuji, rather than the rikishi you had already traded away.

Thanks Kenning, works for me!

Appreciate your work more than ever this basho given the COVID dropouts coming fast and furious.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Second week Shodai best Shodai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spectacular hair pulling by Chiotairyu in today's match