Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

quote:

Chee Land wasn’t so bad. That’s where I stayed now, mostly. They had TV. They had Oreos.

David absolutely malding right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mazerunner posted:

When did they switch over from "don't call us, we'll call you" to "your friendly extraterrestrial witness protection program"?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mazerunner posted:

Do you really think David likes dogs?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

disaster pastor posted:

Anyway, yes, excellent book, though I'm still on the "Marco did nothing wrong and couldn't reasonably have saved Nora" side. And the next book is wild. (Plus, Ax finally gets his own spot in the rotation instead of sharing with Tobias, though there are barely enough books left for it to matter.)

The only thing I'd disagree with is that it's super hosed to tell his dad that she was just a honey pot and never loved him, especially since they'd already done some surveillance that suggested she was free.

Fuschia tude posted:

When did they switch over from "don't call us, we'll call you" to "your friendly extraterrestrial witness protection program"?

It does feel like they're starting to take the Chee for granted a bit, but I suppose it depends on how invested the Chee are in helping the war effort. Now that they are hosting Marco, at least it's one less Chee that has to be on doppelganger duty when they get stuck in their... fourth(?) spacetime wedgie.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Being pushovers is the Chees' defining trait

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

The only thing I'd disagree with is that it's super hosed to tell his dad that she was just a honey pot and never loved him, especially since they'd already done some surveillance that suggested she was free.

OK, this is a fair point. It's a very middle-school-kid way of trying to tie up that loose end for his father and make the most traumatic couple of days of his life a tiny bit easier, but, yeah, Marco doesn't understand love the way he thinks he does and this was legit wrong.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
It is selfish and condemns a woman to slavery but also makes sense as Marco strategic compromise to get what he ultimately wants. Plus it would be easy to convince himself that saving Nora would now raise red flags for the Yeerks.

But yes, Jake would have to act very well to maintain opsec around Tom. His best friend just got suddenly killed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Book 46-The Deception

Chapter 1

quote:

“This is the resistance.”

I had never heard more pride in Prince Jake’s voice. I know I had never been more proud of him.

<Yes, and what is it you want? How is it you are communicating with us?>

Clearly, the Andalite officer on the other end of our interplanetary connection was not similarly impressed.

Rachel snorted. Jake shot a look at her before speaking. “Look,” he said, “we don’t have much time here. This transmission could be tracked. And we have a lot to talk about. First, the Anati world situation, it’s a trap. The Yeerks have constructed huge Dracon cannon sites on all the moons. Your fleet goes there, it’s obliterated.”

There was a moment of silence. An understandable delay, given the enormous distance over which we were transmitting and the primitiveness of our transmitting device.

But I suspected the silence meant something else.

<We know of your situation on Earth, human.> The voice belonged to another Andalite. Its tone suggested an officer superior to the one with whom Jake had just spoken.

“Yes,” Jake began, “but things have changed. We -”

<We know that you are in need of our assistance.>

“Rude,” Marco mumbled. “Let a guy finish a sentence.”

The voice went on, cold and imperious. An Andalite’s voice. <And we must consider the possibility that you would lie to us in an effort to become our top priority.>

“What the … ?”

Cassie grabbed Rachel’s arm, motioned for her to be silent.

“Look,” Jake said, controlled anger making his voice tense. “We’ve got the information on good authority. And you have no reason to suspect us of double-dealing.”

“Yes, he does.” Marco again. “We’re puny, backward humans. Not great, honorable Andalites.”

<Prince Jake, if I may?>

Jake nodded and I stepped forward, closer to the still unperfected device.

Since coming to this faraway planet, I have spoken to my people on several occasions.

Once, via adjustments I made to a primitive human radio telescope. Adjustments that allowed me to break into Zero-space.

Once, on an Andalite ship commanded by the traitor, Samilin-Corrath-Gahar.

On two other occasions, I have conversed with Andalites who had also come to Earth.

But this - this was different. Everything was different. The war was escalating. The Andalites, my people, had to listen to us. They had to be made to listen.

<This is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill,> I said. <What my prince says is correct. Our source for the information regarding the Anati planet comes from none other than Visser One, originator of the Yeerk invasion on this planet. Visser One was sent to build the Anati defenses and to draw the Andalite
fleet. Recently the visser returned to Earth. We eliminated the Yeerk and liberated the host. This is the truth.>

<That’ll show them,> Tobias said. Tobias - my shorm, a nothlit. Our lookout.

What came next I had not expected. Later, I wondered why, with my varied experience of Andalite character, I had not entertained the possibility of my own people’s suspicion and neglect.

<The high command will consider your words,> the officer replied. <The brother of War Prince Elfangor always deserves to be heard. However … in our opinion, and given his record to date, it is also possible that Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill has confused his loyalties.>

<I …>

But it was too late to protest.

<Bug fighters!> Tobias. <Get out of there, now!>

“Everybody, morph! Go, go, go!”

Our transmission had gone on too long. The Yeerks were now coming in for the capture. Or the kill.

I should have paid more attention to the time.

TSSEEEWWW!

“Ax!” Jake shouted. “I said, run! Grab the transponder and haul butt!”

<Cop cars coming, guys! We got human-Controllers with gun permits on the way!> Tobias shouted. <Hurry!>

TSSEEEWWW! TSSEEEWWW!

The sand around us turned to glass under the awful heat and pressure of Dracon fire the midnight surf boiled and coughed up dead sea life.

And in the long, coarse beach grass, under cover of the dim crescent moon, Rachel, Cassie, Marco, and Jake rapidly morphed to their standard bird-of-prey morphs.

For the usual security reasons they could not be identified by the Yeerks as human. In Marco’s case, he could not be identified by the Yeerks as alive.

<Out of here.> Rachel flapped massive bald eagle wings in the cool night air and struggled off the ground.

Cassie and Marco, each gone osprey, followed.

<Ax? Tobias?> Jake yelled. <Don’t let them get the transponder!>

A peregrine falcon rose into the night.

TSSEEEWWW! TSSEEEWWW!

I tucked the transponder to my chest, bent as low as I could and still be stable, and ran. In the direction of the dunes, not the parking lot …

<Who! Ax-man, look out!>

Over the damp sand two policemen came slipping and sliding, handheld Dracon beams aimed - at me.“

Andalite scum! Halt!”

“Tsseeer!”

“Aaargh!”

One human-Controller down, raked across the eyes by a red-tailed hawk.

And before the other could blink …

Fwap!

I lifted my tail over my shoulder and hit him with the flat of the blade. He was definitely down. And out.

So this book starts right after the last one.. And ,they got to talk to the ever trusting Andalite military.

Chapter 2

quote:

]My name is Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill. I am an Andalite. Son of Noorlin-Sirinial-Coorat and Forlay-Esgarrouth-Maheen. Younger brother of celebrated War Prince Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul. An aristh, a cadet, a warrior in training.

But my existence in the group of humans that calls itself the Animorphs has, I believe, qualified me as a full warrior. An experienced fighter.

Why do I fight for and with a people not my own? Because, in many ways, these humans have become my own.

And the central, most important reason is that the humans are fighting off an invasion of an evil, parasitic alien species known as the Yeerks. The Yeerks must be stopped.

It doesn’t matter who stops them, or why. Maybe, just maybe, it doesn’t even matter how.

But that is a dangerous question to ponder.

Better to concentrate on the present. And the most important thing we needed to do was to stop Visser Three from being promoted to the powerful position of Visser One.

Because as Visser One, nothing would stop him from an all-out invasion of planet Earth.

And now, after the frustrating communication with the Andalite officer, it looked as if our task would be a much more difficult one than we’d already anticipated.

This fact, along with the fact that in the eyes of the human world he was dead, made Marco somewhat - cranky.

He, Tobias, and I were relaxing in my scoop the morning following the disaster at the beach. My advanced technical ability had provided me with a full variety of cable packages, free of charge. Marco was in possession of the wonderful invention Tobias had found for me - a remote.

“Freakin’ nothing on! Hundreds of stations and nothing - nothing! - worth watching.”

<Marco?> Tobias sat perched on the arm of a chair Marco had dragged to the scoop from what he described as “some dump.”

“What?”

<Give me the remote.>

Marco stood and tossed the device onto the seat of the chair. “You know what really gets me?” he said.

I did not reply. I have long ago learned that humans often ask what are known as “rhetorical questions.” When they ask such questions, they do not really want or need you to answer. They are prepared to answer for you.

“I’ll tell you what really gets me,” Marco said, pacing. “Here we are, six semi-freaks busting our butts trying to prevent a full-scale alien invasion of Earth and I bet you dollars to donuts …”

Tobias cocked his head. <Something your grandmother used to say?>

Marco glared. “I’d bet a million bucks if I had it that if the average guy on the street was told he’d better get ready, there was going to be a major war, he’d just laugh. He wouldn’t even believe a full-scale war was possible anymore! The average person is too content.”

<Would you prefer a general state of panic?> I said. It was a rhetorical question.

“My point is just that people are complacent. All-out, global warfare is a thing of the past. That’s what people think, anyway. No one wants it, no one’s ready for it. And who’s going to believe Earth is about to be attacked by aliens from outer space? They’d think a call to arms was just a publicity stunt for that show Roswell.”

<Marco has a point,> Tobias said. <Particularly Americans. I mean, we’ve got no enemies at sea, not many on land, and those aren’t exactly real scary. The country’s just not ready for war. Maybe it’s arrogance, maybe a combination of things, but the average person on the street just doesn’t think another World War is possible.>

<So if we were to go public with our information or alert certain authorities …>

Marco snorted and flopped into his chair. “We’d be seriously deep in it.”

” … the Council suggests … bzzsmmm …”

I swung my stalk eyes toward the small laptop in one corner of my scoop. A new model Apple computer I had acquired at Computer City. With the help of several months of Rachel’s credit card allowance.

She informed me that I owed her “big time” for her assistance.

“What the heck was that?”

I raised a hand to silence Marco. Nothing further came from the computer.

<I believe that was a snippet of a Yeerk dialogue,> I explained finally. <I have applied a computer program of my own making to the Zero-space transponder I created - with help from your father, Marco.>

I have always believed in giving credit where credit is due. Even if it was to a human.

<And?> Tobias stared at me with his intense hawk gaze.

<And,> I continued, <this program attempts to decode locally originated Z-space transmissions. Unfortunately, and through no possible fault of my own,> I admitted, <the success rate of the program is less than thirty percent. Human computer technology is simply too slow to overcome advanced Yeerk encoding in a reliable and consistent way.>

“But the success part, Ax,” Marco pressed. “The fifteen or twenty percent of the time something does get through, that’s something. Or could be.”

I nodded. Another human gesture I have acquired.

<Yes.>

“… again the Council of Thirteen commends Visser Two on his proposed plan, which we have designated Operation 9466: Phase One. Pending final approval from Visser One, the Council orders Visser Two to proceed as … bzzmss … gerubzz …”

There was silence. Andalite, human, and nothlit - each of us was, I believe it is fair to say, stunned.

Remember when the U thought we didn't have any enemies anymore? Man.

Also, we finally get to deal with the enigmatic Visser Two (Or maybe enigmatic Visser One. I'm also going to say, I like the Ax-Marco-Tobias group.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 17, 2022

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm so glad I found this thread. I loved these books as a child. 6th grade to be exact. The school librarian was so thrilled that I was regularly reading that when I ran through what we had, she put in special order to get more of the series so I could keep on going. She filled in when I told her there was a gap. Like we had 24 and 26, but not 25 or something like that. I'll never forget that. I didn't finish the series and would later just read about all the stuff I'd missed. I don't think I ever got around to the side books. But Animorphs is a firm childhood memory.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 3

quote:

<Okay, I’m not the only one who heard that, am I?>

Tobias continued to stare at the now silent computer.

Marco sank back into his chair.

“You know what I love about this life? There’s never a dull moment. Freakin’ never.”

<I believe the important question now is: Who has become Visser One? We are responsible for the death of the Yeerk that was in that position. Not Visser Three. He can’t have been promoted after botching a Council-ordered execution!>

<Not even to the rank of Visser Two?> Tobias said. <Why not? I don’t understand Yeerk politics. Do you?>

Marco stood up again. “Look, let’s assume our old buddy is now either Visser One or Two. Who’s left? And what’s Operation 9466?”

Suddenly, I felt angry and frustrated.

<If only I had access to a more advanced technology! Then I would be able to intercept the entire Yeerk communication. I would …>

Marco laughed. It sounded somewhat like a dog’s bark.

“Hey, Ax-man, ease up on us dopey humans, okay? Besides, that machine you’ve got there is, like, a toy. For the lay person. What an intellectual Andalite giant like you wants is to hack into some major government computer system.”

<Even though it’s illegal,> Tobias added. <Not sure I’d advise it.>

It was a very good idea. Illegal. But, we were at war. We didn’t have a choice.

<Yes, excellent,> I said. <We need information. We must do whatever we can to get it.>

“Whoa. Just, whoa.” Marco. “I wasn’t actually suggesting we break into the U.S. government’s personal stash. That’s the kind of invasion of privacy that gets you life. In jail.”

<What are you saying?>

Marco rolled his eyes. An unfortunate and unattractive expression.

“I’m saying it’s illegal. Dangerous. I’m saying it’s wrong. Not right.”

Humans are an odd species. They will proclaim a particular ethical and moral stance one day. And the next, they will proclaim an opposite stance with equal passion.

When pressed, they explain such behavior as caused by “different circumstances.” Also, depending on “the situation.”

<Marco,> I said, <I seem to recall your telling your father recently that nothing is “right” anymore. That stealing in the name of the cause is one of your specialties. That when the war is over and there is a “right” again, you will make amends.>

“Do you know how seriously annoying it is to quote someone’s words back at them?” he shouted. “Do you?”

<Does that mean you agree with my plan?>

“It means I’ll go along with it. Maybe we can figure out a deal, give the government boys something in return for what we’re taking. Hey, Bird-boy? Are you with us?”

<If I said no, would it really make a difference? Would it stop you, Ax?>

Not a rhetorical question. <No,> I said, <it would not.>

In spite of Marco’s earlier protests, he was the one who suggested we attempt to infiltrate the National Security Agency’s code-breaking computer system.

And it was Marco who suggested that we should also install a program able to crack any possible security code conceived by humans.

Needless to say, I would be the one to devise such a program. Which, in the next few moments, I did.

Now we were ready.

Tobias kept careful watch from above. Marco hung over my shoulder.

And with the aid of Cassie’s cell phone and my new lime green iMac, I proceeded to reroute the Yeerk Z-space transmissions through the NSA’s central computer.

“Federal prison,” Marco said, “here we come.”

<What’s happening, Ax?>

<The NSA is trying to block my transmission. Now they are receiving my decoding program.>

A few keystrokes. A moment of tension. More waiting.

“Ax, what’s going on!”

<The NSA has stopped blocking me. Now, let’s see what we have here.>

<One thing, Ax-man,> Tobias called. <Uh, are you sure the program you sent these guys can’t be used to decipher your own stuff? Or the Yeerks’?>

Slowly, I swung one eye stalk around and up to look at Tobias, perched on the branch of a tree.

<Okay, okay, sorry I asked.>

And then, suddenly, it happened.

This bigger, faster, more powerful machine, combined with my superior Andalite technical knowledge and skills …

” … The newly appointed Visser One, recently Visser Three, current leader of the Yeerk mission on planet Earth … has approved Operation 9466. Visser Two has undertaken a journey to Earth to assist in the execution of this long-anticipated military action… .”

“Bingo,” Marco whispered.

Remember last book, we discussed the morality of theft in the Animorph worldview? Turns out Ax is just as confused about it as we are.

Chapter 4

quote:

<Visser One. Formerly Visser Three. Esplin 9466.>

It had come to me in a flash on our rapid trip to Cassie’s barn. The Animorphs’ traditional meeting place.

“Of course.” Jake.” So, this mission is major. If it’s being named after the reigning visser.”

“And if the second in command, whoever he or she is, will be coming along for the ride,”

Rachel added.

“But what’s the point?” Cassie asked.

“I’ll give you one guess. Yes, that’s right, boys and girls.” Marco paced. “We know from my mother that our old nemesis has been pushing for all-out assault on Earth. No more sneaky, middle-of-the-night stuff. Now we’re gonna see major population ‘cleansing.’ You want to be one of us, a Yeerk? Fine. You don’t? You’re dead. The Yeerks don’t need everyone. One billion people? More than enough.”

<What are the Yeerks afraid of?> I asked.

Marco looked at me. “Two things. The Andalite fleet. And humanity’s own resources. I’m talking weapons, but also ingenuity. Flexibility. Hope. All those traits the former Visser One acknowledged and respected and feared about us human beings. The traits the former Visser Three has always ignored.”

“No way hope is going to conquer a huge alien force,” Rachel said grimly. “At least not before being massacred.”

Marco sighed. “I know.”

“But the Yeerks don’t,” Jake added. “They also don’t know for sure we aren’t equipped weapon-wise to annihilate them if they attack. And they don’t know for sure the chances of the Andalite fleet coming to Earth’s rescue are less than good.”

“I keep remembering those Yeerk forces we saw in for repair,” Cassie said. “When we rescued Marco’s mom. It’s … it’s beginning to feel overwhelming.”

<Look. Whether or not the Yeerks know it, the truth is we have no space-based weapons.> Tobias, his voice flat. <We’ll be slaughtered. Remember what we saw of open warfare? Henry Five and the French. Washington on the Delaware. Normandy Beach. Okay, those events were slightly distorted, but the blood was the same as when they really happened. The death was the same.>

“Both World Wars and the Black Plague all rolled into one. That’s what we’re facing.” Marco’s eyes were dark. “That kind of massive destruction.”

Silence. The situation was not good.

Jake looked at me. “Ax. I want your honest opinion. Since that one transmission on the beach, we’ve heard nothing from the Andalites. Should we assume the fleet isn’t coming? Should we go ahead on our own?”

What could I say? To answer such a question - with a “yes” or a “no” - would cast suspicion on my loyalty to my people.

The Andalites. And the humans.

If the Andalite fleet had chosen to ignore our warning and had moved to the Anati system, one of the new Visser One’s conditions for all-out war had been met. We were in a situation of maximum danger.

One of my peoples had betrayed the other.

In spite of my admiration - and yes, affection - for humans, I have always hoped my future would be on the home planet. With my parents. Perhaps even Estrid-Corill-Darrath and a family of my own. And yet - my experience with my birth people since being stranded on planet Earth has been … complex. Less than one hundred percent satisfactory.

Now - the chance of ever returning and being welcomed with open arms seemed even smaller.

Particularly after the stinging words of doubt spoken by the anonymous Andalite officer.

“Ax?”

But it was not as if my experience with humans and their culture had been without disappointment. I had been saddened by human behavior, disgusted even. By their incomprehensible violence toward one another.

Once we had been forced to chase Visser Four through history in order to retrieve the Time matrix. To prevent the dawning of a world even more frightening than any horrible time that had come before.

Before that strange journey through centuries past, I thought I had come to understand humans.

But as horrible scenes of carnage and terror unfolded before my eyes, I realized that I knew very little about human beings.

They could be insane, hate-filled creatures. I could make no sense of the outrageous violence, of the mindless killing. And it frightened me.

But I had made friends. We were our own family. And this was still our fight.

I was Andalite. And, in a way, I was human.

“Ax. Do you think the Andalites are coming?”

<I do not know, Prince Jake,> I said, my eyes solemn. <I honestly do not know.>

The Andalites would probably say that Ax has "gone native" to use the old term. But I think it's more complicated than that. I've argued since the beginning that one of the big themes of the series is about growing up...leaving childhood behind and becoming an adult, and that's what Ax has to do here. He has to abandon his old certainties, Ax had said in a previous book that his people are those who fight for freedom, whoever they might be, and he's being tested here, because he's come to realize that the Andalites aren't the paragons of virtue they believe themselves to be. But at the same time, he realizes that the humans also aren't the saints he supposed....that humanity is capable of cruelty and violence. So he has to determine for himself, with the help of his friends, what it means to be moral. He's got to find his own path forward. And if that isn't the definition of maturing, I don't know what is.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The plot is finally on the move again! This is great.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Hey, a Megamorphs reference! Remember those?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Epicurius posted:

quote:

<Marco,> I said, <I seem to recall your telling your father recently that nothing is “right” anymore. That stealing in the name of the cause is one of your specialties. That when the war is over and there is a “right” again, you will make amends.>

“Do you know how seriously annoying it is to quote someone’s words back at them?” he shouted. “Do you?”

quote:

<One thing, Ax-man,> Tobias called. <Uh, are you sure the program you sent these guys can’t be used to decipher your own stuff? Or the Yeerks’?>

Slowly, I swung one eye stalk around and up to look at Tobias, perched on the branch of a tree.

Even if I didn't know which book we were in, I could tell poo poo's getting real by how many of these moments stuck in my head.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just cutting back to the last book for a sec - it's a minor thing, but I liked that it was Rachel who was with Marco on the pier rescuing his mum. They've had a weird sort of bond over his situation, particularly that in two instances (15 and 35) Marco thinks she's died and it's Rachel who tells him that there was a last minute rescue/no body, and I think that stems from Rachel being the only other character who had a regular family but then "lost" a parent ans therefore personally understands his situation; in her case through divorce and moving away, which isn't the same thing, but still. I just thought it was a nice, appropriate moment that she's the one who helps him rescue Eva.

quote:

<We know of your situation on Earth, human.> The voice belonged to another Andalite. Its tone suggested an officer superior to the one with whom Jake had just spoken.

“Yes,” Jake began, “but things have changed. We -”

<We know that you are in need of our assistance.>

“Rude,” Marco mumbled. “Let a guy finish a sentence.”

The voice went on, cold and imperious. An Andalite’s voice. <And we must consider the possibility that you would lie to us in an effort to become our top priority.>

“What the … ?”

Cassie grabbed Rachel’s arm, motioned for her to be silent.

“Look,” Jake said, controlled anger making his voice tense. “We’ve got the information on good authority. And you have no reason to suspect us of double-dealing.”

“Yes, he does.” Marco again. “We’re puny, backward humans. Not great, honorable Andalites.”

This is actually a completely reasonable suspicion for the Andalites to have, no matter how much the ghostwriter puts their thumb on the scale with "cold, imperious" and "puny, backwards/great honorable". (Probably less reasonable for the Andalite on the other end to immediately accuse them of such, but I guess they got some bored radio operator and his supervisor rather than an intel operative.)

quote:

“Ax?”

But it was not as if my experience with humans and their culture had been without disappointment. I had been saddened by human behavior, disgusted even. By their incomprehensible violence toward one another.

Once we had been forced to chase Visser Four through history in order to retrieve the Time matrix. To prevent the dawning of a world even more frightening than any horrible time that had come before.

Before that strange journey through centuries past, I thought I had come to understand humans.

But as horrible scenes of carnage and terror unfolded before my eyes, I realized that I knew very little about human beings.

They could be insane, hate-filled creatures. I could make no sense of the outrageous violence, of the mindless killing. And it frightened me.

But I had made friends. We were our own family. And this was still our fight.

I was Andalite. And, in a way, I was human.

“Ax. Do you think the Andalites are coming?”

<I do not know, Prince Jake,> I said, my eyes solemn. <I honestly do not know.>

This, I really like. Ax is always a fun character because he's the fish out of water alien, but - especially in his own books - you can see that he's just a genuinely good and honourable dude. In this case, he's genuinely torn about his loyalties and doesn't know what to think, but he's upfront about that in the sense of being honest in his advice. Compare and contrast with Marco talking to his dad about Nora in the last book, where IMO he lies to his dad for his own happy family benefit, but tells himself it was for his dad's benefit; lying to himself and possibly not even realising it. (I don't think Marco deserves censure for that - his situation was way more personal, plus they're all traumatised! - but I do think Ax deserves recognition for rising above it.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh also: I was on holiday in New Zealand this week and watched a bird of prey at dawn, flapping its wings away above a foggy valley at the crack of dawn, and sagely thought to myself: "The air is too cool this early in the morning... the poor fellow has no thermals." Thank you, Animorphs

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
…Did Tobias seriously refer to Henry V as “Henry Five”?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

bravesword posted:

Near as I can tell. I have pdfs of what seem to be transcriptions or OCR of the books, but the only actual errors I've found seem to be obvious text errors, which wouldn't include something like that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Let's not forget the kid dropped out of middle school

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Also that's something that could absolutely have been written in the 90s as "it'll sound cooler if he says it like this."

Wrong, obviously. But that was the 90s.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They also spend a lot of time obsessing over Vissers I and III. Could make a difference

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

bravesword posted:

English kings had such weird last names.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tree Bucket posted:

The plot is finally on the move again! This is great.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember loving the last part of the series for (not sure this is really a spoiler but:) finally becoming a fully serialized narrative. It provides exactly the kick in the pants the series needed, sending everything into high gear by utterly demolishing the status quo, raising the stakes, and pushing more pressure on the team than ever before. This book in particular is a great example of that, with an ending that still sticks in my mind over two decades later. Honestly, the biggest shame is that the rest of the series wasn't written like this.

Looking forward to the rest of this roller coaster ride! Now I just have to jump back and catch up with all the books I missed :negative:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 4

quote:

“Okay. The Yeerks want Earth.” Jake looked at each of us in turn. “Well, they can’t have it.”

“Look.” Marco, musing. “Maybe the situation isn’t as desperate as we think. Yet. Maybe the Yeerks are just seeing what they can get away with. They push, we push back. They don’t try that particular move again. They shove, we don’t shove back, they shove again, but this time, harder. And eventually, we fall on our butts.”

Rachel nodded. “Right. We don’t wait around for the cavalry. We fight with everything we’ve got, with or without the Andalites. Self-defense is always justified. We’ve known that from the beginning. End of story.”

“Even when the odds are abysmal?” Cassie said, half to herself. “Maybe especially then.”

<War is irrational,> I murmured, weary from so much talk. From the thought of what lay ahead. <Though it is sometimes necessary.>

<Ax,> Tobias said, <show Jake those two sets of numbers we got from the transmission just before we left the scoop.>

<Of course.> I handed Jake the piece of paper on which Marco had written several bits of information.

Jake shook his head. “Longitude? Latitude? That’s my guess.”

“Mine, too.” Marco retrieved an atlas he’d stashed in the hayloft. “And … let’s see … this is strange. We’re talking to both sites a thousand miles out to sea … but each site only twenty miles apart.”

Rachel peered over Jake’s shoulder. “Dates and times. Today.” She checked her watch. “It’s nine o’clock A.M. Okay, these times are … seven, then nine hours from now. Four o’clock this afternoon, then six this evening.”

Rachel stared in disbelief at me, Tobias, and Marco. “Could you have shown us this any later?! Let’s go!”

“Calm down,” Jake said. “We can’t do anything until we have some idea of what this information means. The middle of the ocean. Why? And what’s going to happen? No clue.”

“Except that it’s got to be huge.” Marco sighed dramatically. “And we’ve got to be there. The fate of the world and all.”

“How do we get that far out to sea in less than seven hours?” Cassie said. “No morph is going to make it.”
There was another heavy silence. I turned my main eyes toward Jake.

It is a huge responsibility for a young person, human or Andalite, to be a leader. Finally, Jake spoke. His eyes were dull but his voice was firm.

“Things are different,” he said. “From now on, we take what we need. We do what we have to do. No matter what the consequences.”

“Jake …” Cassie began.

“There’s only one morph that will get us thousands of miles out to sea in the time we have left,” he added. “Human.”

“Yes!” Rachel thrust a fist in the air. Her face gleamed with pleasure. “Finally. Extreme-Yeerk-butt-kicking!”

I did not express my opinion on the matter.

Cassie spoke again. “Jake. Everyone. Come on. We’ve gotten this far without totally losing it. By following the rules of basic humanity. No one can deny that.”

“I’m not denying it,” Marco said coldly. “But Jake’s right. Things have changed. We can’t be asking anymore whether something’s right or wrong. We really need to start asking whether it’s expedient.”

“Whoa.” Rachel grinned. “Big word.”

You see what I mean by humans being an odd species? Self-contradictory, yet successful. Able to advance their civilization while engaging in continuous ethical debate.

Jake took Cassie’s hands in his own. I noticed Tobias turn slightly away.

“Cassie, I’d never ask you to do something you don’t want to,” Jake said softly. “Or can’t. But here’s the thing. I think our assumptions are right. I think Visser One is about to launch open war. Entire cities might be incinerated. Whole countries. Maybe, just maybe, if we strike now, if we do everything we possibly can, maybe we can keep that form happening.” He smiled sadly. “I’m not sure I could live with myself if we didn’t do all that we could.”

Billions of lives weighed against the ethics of six “kids …”

“And I’m not sure I could live with myself if we did,” Cassie answered softly. “Jake, there’s always a reason to abandon morality. We’ve been through this so many times. Someone’s always saying, ‘forget about right or wrong, we’ve got to win.’”

“I know, I know.” Jake squeezed Cassie’s hands. “But … doesn’t it always come down to each one of us, all alone, asking ourselves: Am I right in doing whatever it takes for the greater good? And,do I trust myself enough to know I won’t become evil in the process? It always comes down to something that personal.”

Or the situation, I thought. Or the special circumstances. A morality of convenience. Not unlike Andalite morality… .
The thought was troubling.

Cassie smiled. It was not a happy smile, but it seemed to portray a genuine emotion. “If there’s one person I trust to keep his decency, it’s you, Jake.”

Marco folded his arms. Nodded at Rachel. “You, we’re not so sure of.”

Rachel made a rude gesture with her hand.

A rustling of feathers. <Moving on.how exactly do we travel a thousand miles in a few short hours?>

“Easy, Bird-boy. Military jet. A half hour to the air force base, maybe a bit more to snag a plane. Then, full speed ahead.”

Jake pulled away from Cassie. “Okay,” he said, clearing his throat. “Let’s go.”

Another one of the recurring themes in Animorphs is, what's the role of ethics in war? What moral lines do you draw for yourself so that you can maintain your humanity. One of the recurring things they've stuck to is that they don't morph other human beings without permission, and I think they've stuck to that throughout the course of the series. So to give this up now means they're losing some of themselves....they're saying "Well, we can cross this line, given the circumstances. I know a bunch don't like Cassie, but there's the famous Nietzsche line "“He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you.”. One of the things Cassie has been is a countervoice against those nihilistic impulses, the idea that anything goes.

We're also seeing a really mentally exhausted Ax. He's mentally lost, he doesn't know who to trust, he's tired of all this debate and not knowing what to do. All these kids have been fighting for way too long.

Chapter 6

quote:

“My financial advisor suggested I put at least some money into something safe and slow and steady. The rest is going into something riskier. I mean, my kids aren’t going to college for another sixteen years.”

“That sounds reasonable. I gotta talk to my accountant though about that SEP plan for my wife…. What the … ?”

Clop-clop. Clop-clop.

I appeared from behind a row of metal lockers.

<Remain calm,> I said.

The male opened his mouth wide. A clear indication he was about to scream.

FWAP!

He slumped to the floor, unconscious. No longer a problem.

The woman, however …

“ANDALITE!”

<Yeerk.>

WHAM!

Marco - in gorilla morph - caught her as she crumpled to the ground.

<A little tap on the head never hurt anyone,> he said. <Not much, anyway.>

<Prince Jake, you and the others can demorph now. Marco and I have secured the room.>

One by one, four fleas began to grow and shift into three humans and a hawk.

We were in a locker room belonging to the Air National Guard. Clearly, an organization the Yeerks had succeeded in penetrating.

“Gross.” Rachel. “Those pressure suits are hideous.”

Jake raised an eyebrow. Not all humans can raise just one at a time.

“Are you saying you’d rather Cassie go in your place? Or maybe that you’d rather explode out of your skin at fifty-thousand feet? Or freeze to death?”

Rachel scowled. Then she bent over the unconscious female Controller.

It had been decided that I would acquire the male.

Also, that I would act as pilot. Without a doubt, I was the one with most experience flying aircraft - Andalite, Yeerk, and human.

Rachel was to be my copilot. I assumed this was because of an attribute Marco calls her “nerves of steel.” Rachel would take over as pilot if something should happen to me.

“Come on, people,” Jake said. “Let’s just get this done.”

For a moment, I hesitated.

It isn’t that I don’t enjoy certain elements of being human. There is taste. There is speech. There is the ability to go to a movie at the Cineplex. As long as the running time is less than two hours. It is just that … there is something too compelling about being a human, even for a short time. It makes me uncomfortable.

It makes it seem as if I fit in here.

It is a temptation.

One of the first morphs I acquired on this planet was that of a human male, approximately the same age as my friends.

In order to create that morph, I took DNA from Jake, Rachel, Cassie, and Marco - with their permission, of course - and combined it.

So when I am in human morph, I am an odd composite of four people, the exact DNA replica of no one in particular.

This is a compromise. A way around the Animorphs’ reluctance to acquire and morph other sentient creatures without their permission. And, given the secrecy of our mission, permission cannot freely be requested.

But now …

Now, we were committed to doing whatever it took to stop Visser One’s aggressive invasion of my adopted home, I was, though not for the first time, acquiring the DNA of a human.

SCHLOOP!

Morphing is a strange and unpredictable process. It never happens in quite the same way twice. And it never fails to be somewhat - disconcerting.

My eye stalks were sucked back into my head. A head that was remolding to the rounder skull of a human. A head that was sprouting dark brown human hair.

<Ax, don’t you know blonds have more fun?> Marco smirked.

I ignored him.

Concentrated on staying upright as my two front legs dissolved into my broadening chest. Now I was standing on two human legs. I was pleased to discover they were relatively sturdy.

One Andalite heart disappeared into Z-space. The other re-formed to a human heart and began its distinctive beat.

Blue fur faded into skin slightly lighter than Marco’s. it was sprinkled with dark, coarse hair in a variety of places. Including the knuckles of my now powerful, five-fingered human hands. I began to attempt to put on the pilot’s uniform.

<Marco, come on, man.> Prince Jake, already remorphed to flea.

Marco slammed the door on a locker which now contained the female copilot and began to demorph.

Rachel, now in the body of a slightly stocky red-haired woman, secured the pilot - gently - in another locker.

I felt the tiniest tickle on the back of my neck as two fleas jumped on board.

“Ready?” I said.

Captain Felitti’s voice was unsteady, betraying my own excitement. My own discomfort.

Rachel grinned. “Let’s do it.”

First off, the Yeerk and human pilots are right here. If you're young, invest in a growth plan, keep putting money in it. but that being said, I understand the impulse, especially if you're young to invest in riskier stuff.. The Yeerk's kids aren't going to college for 16 years. She has time to invest in their future. (Their future will be that of servitude to the Great Yeerk Empire as hosts for loyal Yeerks, but that's not important right now).

This chapter also has some of Ax's confusion about who exactly he is and where he fits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey Marco is way wrong about knocks on the head. Even Archer knows that!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I always stick to my wartime morality. Maiming the enemy, killing non combatants, chemical warfare? A-ok

Stealing?? Hacking the NSA? Whoah step back you absolute monster.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aside from the fact that acquiring and morphing other humans is, as has been pointed out, a lesser crime than many others they've already committed - I'm pretty sure all of them have morphed other humans without their consent before? The boys morphed those Secret Service agents in the David trilogy, Ax has morphed Jake, Marco morphed that office worker and Cassie morphed Rachel in the alligator book. (Though I guess you can argue morphing a fellow Animorph is different.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

freebooter posted:

Aside from the fact that acquiring and morphing other humans is, as has been pointed out, a lesser crime than many others they've already committed - I'm pretty sure all of them have morphed other humans without their consent before? The boys morphed those Secret Service agents in the David trilogy, Ax has morphed Jake, Marco morphed that office worker and Cassie morphed Rachel in the alligator book. (Though I guess you can argue morphing a fellow Animorph is different.)

TBF they just acquired the Secret Service guys, I don't think they ever actually morphed them. Marco morphing the office worker is the first real time any of them actually broke the taboo (and he did so secretly) except for morphing each other in situations where consent was inferred.

And I think they're so hung up on it because its one of the big redlines they set for themselves at the beginning and they've been holding onto it like an anchor up until now. Strictly speaking they've definitely done a lot worse, but they've built this up as a taboo and stuck to it for a couple years now. Taking the step is a much bigger symbolic deal than anything else. I think it also matters that most of the worse things they've done have been in the heat of battle and usually aren't pre-meditated. Its probably part of why they're so hung up on not stealing and not morphing other people, a sort of divide they can put up where they don't do 'bad' things if they're not in life-threatening danger which has been slowly eroding away.

Their experience with David probably also helped reinforce that. By breaking a lot of their taboos he cemented their importance as a way to keep some semblance of normalcy.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 19, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, fair, I think all of that makes sense. Especially the David part.

Though it's been so long now I can't remember exactly what the conversation/circumstances were that led to them drawing a red line on the idea of morphing other humans.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

freebooter posted:

Yeah, fair, I think all of that makes sense. Especially the David part.

Though it's been so long now I can't remember exactly what the conversation/circumstances were that led to them drawing a red line on the idea of morphing other humans.

Its basically the first thing they decide on back in book 1. They also keep bringing up parallels to how its similar to what the Yeerks do in terms of 'stealing' someone's identity and autonomy, but I always thought that was a weird argument.

Honestly the big reason to have it be taboo for them is because there are a lot of unsavory things they could get up to if they started casually morphing other people. And I think Applegate/Grant realized it would open up a lot of uncomfortable doors and take the focus off of the 'kids turning into animals' hook of the series and built it up from that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the fundamental thing is that morphing a human or anything else involves running a copy of its mind on the morph's meat brain, and essentially killing that copy when you demorph. Does the human copy have enough thought process to be conscious, or is it just pure instinct? Who knows!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Strategic Tea posted:

I think the fundamental thing is that morphing a human or anything else involves running a copy of its mind on the morph's meat brain, and essentially killing that copy when you demorph. Does the human copy have enough thought process to be conscious, or is it just pure instinct? Who knows!

You're not killing it, just exiling it to the uttermost void of z-space.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Strategic Tea posted:

Horrifying idea: what if you become a human nothlit and realize that the body you're controlling is gradually becoming self aware?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 7

quote:

We strode boldly across the airfield.

“Rachel,” I said softly, “that is the plane these humans are supposed to take for a test flight.”

“What gave it away?” she hissed. “The maintenance crew saluting us?”

“An F-16D, two-seater fighter-bomber. Computer control, I believe. Are you prepared to commandeer the aircraft?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah.”

We walked swiftly up to the two-person maintenance crew.

Smiled. Saluted.

And then subdued the crew.

“Come on, come on!”

Rachel climbed up into the cockpit’s copilot seat. I vaulted up into the pilot’s place.

The jet’s capacity for extreme acceleration required each of us to be in an almost fully reclining position.

Quickly, we strapped and buckled ourselves into restraining belts and harnesses. Pulled on helmets complete with oxygen masks.

Tested the radio mikes that would allow us to communicate with each other once the jet was off the ground.

I rested my right arm on a special armrest and took hold of the short handgrip that would transmit my orders to the jet’s computers.

And without the immediate interference of other Air National Guard personnel or the ground control tower, I started the engines. Taxied. And took off. It was not very difficult.

“Well, that was lucky,” Rachel said. Her voice sounded far away through the microphone though she was not more than several inches from me.

“Too lucky. I am afraid the rest of the mission will not go as smoothly.”

“Pessimist.”

“No. Realist.”

We had less than two hours to reach the destination described in the Yeerk transmission.

First: I could not demorph inside the pressure suit without its ripping apart. Which would probably cause my unfortunate and untimely death. And require Rachel, who could possibly demorph within the confines of her pressure suit, to fly a computer-controlled aircraft at the speed in shocking excess of anything she might have experienced.

Something I was not sure she could do, in spite of her nerves of steel.

At the moment she was grinning. The features of her face were those of Michele Leary. But the maniacal joy was clearly Rachel’s.

Second: According to the information we had intercepted from the Yeerks, we were running out of time. There were now less than five hours until the event that would instigate Phase One of Operation 9466.

Suddenly …

“This is ground control. Captain Felitti, you took off without clearance and five minutes ahead of schedule. You are off the course set for the test flight. Return immediately to the coordinates. We repeat, return to the flight pattern… .”

“You nervous, Ax?”

“I have been in less stressful situations,” I admitted.

And then.

“This is Ground Control. Whoever you are, return to base immediately. If you do not reverse course you will be shot down. Repeat, you will be shot down.”

Suddenly, on the radar screen - two jets pursuing us.

“Guess they found the real pilots,” Rachel said. “And the maintenance team.”

No choice.

The F-16 fighter-bomber can reach a maximum speed of approximately one thousand three hundred and fifty miles per hour.

Achieving that speed was not necessary.

Yet.

I increased speed to slightly exceed Mach 1.

“Prepare yourself, Rachel.”

And shortly, we lost the pursuit planes.

“Woo-hoo! Nice work, Ax. Even though my eyeballs are now stuck to the back of my head.”

I checked in with Jake and the others.

The flea morph had protected them from the physical effects of the jet’s massive speed.

This seemed to disappoint Marco. Recently, he had claimed to be “bummed” about not being able to ride the new Monster Coaster at The Gardens.

In his words: “What with being officially dead and all now, I’m actually in an F-16D. and I can’t feel a thing. My life is great. Isn’t my life great?”

We continued to fly. The F-16D handled well for an Earth-built aircraft.

Finally …

“Rachel, we are approaching the coordinates. Keep an eye on …”

“I see something, Ax!”

“You have a visual?”

“I just said I can see it. It’s … it’s huge. Even I know that’s an aircraft carrier.”

“I see it. The USS George Washington,” I read.

“What are those other ships around it?”

“Maybe we should ask Prince Jake.”

<The USS George Washington.> Marco interrupted. <There’s a sick twist on the concept of piracy. The man’s namesake aircraft carrier hijacked by the Yeerks.>

<We don’t know what’s happening,> Jake said. <Those other ships are part of the carrier battle group, Ax. Probably some destroyers. Some guided-missile cruisers and frigates.>

<Nuclear-attack subs, too, right?> Tobias.

<And at least one combat support ship. For supplies.> Marco.

<Cassie>, Rachel said. <Are you feeling a little, I don’t know, left out?>

<Yeah.> She laughed. <And somehow it doesn’t bother me.>

The USS George Washington has been in the news recently, unfortunately because of an outbreak of suicides among sailors on board. Part of the problem, they think, is that the ship is currently undergoing maintenance in Norfolk, and sailors are doing routine maintenance, while at the same time, sleeping (or more likely not being able to sleep) on the ship.

Chapter 8

quote:

“Ax! Look at the radar. They’ve spotted us”

“Yes. I assumed the carrier’s surveillance systems are sophisticated enough to spot an air-force owned F-16D in its airspace.”

<Ax, what’s going on?> Jake. <Flea “ears” are not, you know, the best.>

<We have been located by the USS George Washington,> I told him. <And we were the target of two air force jets attempting to intercept us.>

<To shoot us down, Jake!> Rachel shouted. <We lost them, but the air force probably contacted the GW with a warning.>

<Options?> Jake asked.

<None that I can see,> Rachel said. <Jake, you know the carrier’s gonna send some people after us, too. This plane is a liability!>

A split second of silence. Then …

<Ax! Get out in front of the carrier. Get in its course and drop the plane. If we make it out of here alive, we’ll pick up the ship as it comes by.>

<Maybe if we start demorphing a second or two before impact,> Cassie said, <we’ll make it.>

<Or not,> Marco said grimly. <Well, I can’t say it’s been fun… .>

No choice.

I blocked out the voices of my friends.

Took the plane to maximum speed and concentrated on overtaking the carrier.

And staying ahead of the airforce jets I assumed would reappear momentarily.

I was being asked to take an enormous risk.

Rachel and I - carrying Prince and the others - could not simply eject.

Because we could not chance being seen and captured in these human morphs. Morphs identical to the two pilots found back at the Air National Guard locker room.

We had to go down with the plane.

But how to “drop” the plane with us on board and survive?

A nosedive would kill us instantaneously.

Okay. The plane had to hit on its belly. In effect, I had to perform a controlled crash landing. The drag undoubtedly would tear the aircraft apart.

But Rachel and I would have some chance of surviving. And with us, our friends.

We were several miles ahead of the carrier when I began to cut back our speed.

“Ax, why are you slowing down?!”

“If the plane hits the water at top speed, we will be dead within seconds. It it hits with the engines stalled …”

“We’ll be dead within seconds!”

I braced myself. The impact would be brutal.

I am the servant of the people …

The noise … horrifying …

I am the servant of my prince …

And then …

I am the servant of honor …

We were down!

The bubble immediately shattered. The jet broke apart.

Cold ocean water roared into the cockpit, swamping Rachel and me.

Blinding me to anything but my own terrible fear.

Desperately, I tried to demorph within the pilot’s now-useless pressure suit.

And in my panic, with the powerful rush of water slamming into me, while trying with freezing fingers to unleash myself from belts and harnesses meant to save my life … I began to suffocate!

Andalites do not enjoy confined spaces. Neither do humans when it seems the confinement is about to kill them.

If only my tail would appear, if only the blade would sprout and slice me out of this binding garment..

I thrashed. Gasped for air. Swallowed salty water.

Slowly - too slowly! - began to demorph in the cold, dark ocean.

Riiip! Slaaash!

Yes!

I was free!

I was Andalite.

I kicked my way to the surface. Scanned madly for my friends amid the wreckage of the jet.

They had been on Joseph Felitti’s body. On Michele Leary’s body. Where were they now?!

Rachel! Already on her way to seagull.

Clasped under her still-human arm, Tobias was almost fully hawk.

<Prince Jake!>

From a few yards away …

“Ax! Nice work. I see Marco.”

“Ax-man! The ride of the century!”

“Jake, I’m to your left.” Cassie.

We were all alive!

Another too-lucky event.

“Seagulls!” Jake called. “Before some guy up on the island spots us with a pair of binoculars. Then get to the carrier!”

That was....lucky,.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Epicurius posted:

Chapter 8

That was....lucky,.

When I posted this video last year, I didn't know a future book would anticipate it even more closely :stare:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Family stuff going on today. More cool Yeerk naval adventures tomorrow.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It is a little weird that they fixate on the plane being an F-16D. Like, the D model is just the two-seater version, there's nothing special about it. You'd think the kids would just call it an F-16.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is a little weird that they fixate on the plane being an F-16D. Like, the D model is just the two-seater version, there's nothing special about it. You'd think the kids would just call it an F-16.

Maybe the writer just likes planes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As a guy who just finished seven Let's Plays all about fighter jet minutia interwoven with random batshit crazy like Animorphs whips out on the reg, I cal tell you with confidence that people would and will crawl out of the woodwork to blow whole aircraft carriers' worth of gaskets if/when you don't get details about military hardware exactly right.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

IIRC the Applegates got given a tour of an aircraft carrier for this book and I remember the feeling that they really wanted to make full use of that. Like, it's a good book, but I remember points where I was like "OK I don't need the ship's life story." (Or I thought it was weird that the Animorphs seemed to know all about how an aircraft carrier works, I forget.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 9

quote:

<This thing is massive,> Cassie said. <It’s … it’s too big to be real.>

<It’s a Nimitz class. Biggest warships in the world. Built by Newport News Shipbuilding Company, out of Virginia.>

<Jake?> Rachel cocked the seagull’s head. <Do you have a life?>

We had landed, six seagulls, near a radar mast protruding from the island of the USS George Washington.

Below us, on the flight deck, approximately thirty planes were parked and tied down.

Marco strutted closer to Rachel. She strutted away.

<Rachel, Rachel, Rachel. There’s no such thing as a useless fact. Every tiny, seemingly arcane bit of information our boy Jake spews about aircraft carriers or fighter planes just might be the thing that saves our butts.>

<Marco is correct,> I added. <Prince Jake, what else can you recall regarding this craft?>

<I wasn’t expecting to have to recite from memory but … okay, the first Nimitz class carrier was deployed in 1975.>

If Marco were in his human form, he would have raised his eyebrows at Rachel. This is how well I have come to know the meanings and uses of human physical gestures.

<Length - about one thousand and ninety-two feet. Overall width, two hundred and fifty-two feet. Area of flight deck - um, four and a half acres. I think.>

<That’s my boy,> Marco encouraged. <What else?>

<Speed, thirty-plus knots. That’s a little over thirty-four and a half miles per hour.>

<More aircraft below,> Marco prompted. <On the hangar deck.>

<Yeah. Eighty-five or ninety, total. I can’t remember.>

<Types?>

<Just look down there. A variety. Depends on what the GW‘s out here for, I guess. Probably some F/A-18C Hornets. E-2C Hawkeyes, maybe some EA-6B Prowlers. F-14D Tomcats. Four catapults for launching. Four aircraft elevators.>

<Crew?> Tobias asked.

<Between five and six thousand, total, full complement. Which is rare these days. Cutbacks.>

<What makes this thing go?> Rachel asked.

Clearly, her interest was piqued. Anything large and capable of aiding in destruction had to be of interest to Rachel.

<Two nuclear reactors. Four main engines. That’s geared steam turbines, four shafts. Four propellers. Maybe more stuff, I don’t know.>

<Uh-huh.>

<Armament?>

<Generally, the NATO Sea Sparrow missile system. That’s two launchers, eight missiles each. I think the George Washington has four 20-mm Phalanx CIWS mounts.>

Cassie had been silent until now. <CIWS?>

<Close-In Weapon System. The whole point of the carriers is to provide what’s called a “forward presence.” They’re pretty much the most important part of the picture. In peacetime and during war.>

<Right,> Tobias said.

I suspected this information did not impress Cassie as it impressed the rest of us.

<The humans on board are wearing a variety of uniforms,> I noted.

<That’s right.> Tobias. <Navy - sailors and air wing. And marines.>

<What’s up with the different-colored jackets?> Rachel said. <The red ones aren’t so bad.>

Jake turned away from the wind. <Flight deck personnel. Different colors for different roles. Jackets are called float coats. You wear the same color jersey underneath. I’m pretty sure the guys in red are crash and salvage crews. Yeah, and explosive ordinance disposal.>

<No wonder Rachel likes the red,> Marco said.

<What about those in green?> I asked. <Or yellow?>

<It’ll come to me. Hmmm. Or maybe it won’t,> Jake admitted. <Look, we don’t know how this is going to play, but one thing: Keep your ears and eyes open. A carrier is a highly organized society. Anyone looking lost or out of place is going to get nailed. No sailors in the aviators’ squadron ready
rooms and no enlisted personnel hanging around the flag quarters.>

<Which means if any of us goes human, we’ve got to look and act the part.>

<Right. No calling attention to yourself, Ax-man. Stay away from the cafeterias.>

<Not a problem,> I replied stiffly.

<And stick with others who are dressed like you,> Jake went on. <You morph a guy who comes with a cranial helmet, you’d pretty much better stick with the other flight deck personnel.>

<But let’s try not to morph humans,> Cassie said. <If we can help it.>

<If we can help it,> Jake agreed.

<One thing we should consider,> I noted. <The air force will undoubtedly take responsibility for the crash of one of its jets within sight of the navy’s carrier. However, if the Yeerks are already on board, there will be suspicion and heightened security measure. In addition to the possible presence of the air force’s own investigative team.>

<So, you’re saying this mission is now more dangerous than ever?> Marco asked. Rhetorically.

I answered him anyway. <Yes. I am.>

There will be a test later on Nimitz Class aircraft carriers.

Chapter 10

quote:

<Jake, something’s definitely going on.>

Marco directed our attention to a particular area of the flight deck. Something was going on.

<Looks like preparations for a ceremony or something,> Cassie noted. <Lots of sailors in white uniforms. They look pretty spiffy… .>

<Maybe an inspection?> Jake wondered. <No. Look. They’re getting ready for a landing. Someone’s coming on board.>

<And I’m guessing his name is trouble,> Marco shouted over the loud THWOK THWOK THWOK of an approaching transport helicopter.

<Something to do with Operation 9466?> Tobias wondered.

We watched as a perfectly orchestrated GW flight deck crew helped the helicopter land.

A few moments later, several naval officers emerged from the aircraft.

According to Jake, one of the men was an admiral.

According to Marco, the “big cheese.”

And then I saw someone among the admiral’s entourage who, in a perfect world, should not have been there. He was wearing a navy officer’s uniform like his colleagues.

But I recognized him all the same.

<Prince Jake.>

<I seem him, Ax. Chapman.>

<You were right, Marco. The name is most definitely trouble.>

We watched as the captain, the admiral, and his entourage went belowdecks.

Chapman went with them.

<Okay,> Jake said. <We’re going below. Follow me.>

<Aye aye, Captain. Let’s go, me maties!>

<Marco. Please. Shut. Up,> Rachel said, lifting off after Jake.

<You know, I just can’t win with her. Tobias, you must be a saint.>

<Cut it out, you two,> Jake said quietly. <Everybody. Do the gull thing. Circle, swoop. Then, one right after the other, drop down the airshaft after me. And keep your eyes open.>

<Oh, goodie. Nothing a bird likes better than to drop down into a narrow, confined space,>

Tobias commented.

I took off after the others. The wind made it somewhat difficult to swoop and glide in the usual effortless seagull manner.

But the men and women on deck had far more important matters with which to be concerned than a few screaming, cawing seagulls being buffeted by powerful ocean breezes.

So no one noticed as, one by one, we dropped down through a sort of chute and onto the deck immediately below. The gallery or 03 deck.

Once inside the carrier and no longer in the open sky, six seagulls attracted quite a bit of attention.

“Crazy birds! Look out!”

A sailor ducked, covered his head with his arms.

<Follow me!> Jake ordered. <We’ve got to lose them and demorph!>

The chase was on!

WHOOOSH!

My left wing brushed the side of the narrow, low-ceilinged corridors.

<This is so fun!> Rachel.

<Yeah, you maniac. Crash-and-burn keep away.> Marco.

WHOOOSH!

I struggled to keep aloft. Pumped my wings hard through the artificial environment. No fresh air. No thermals. No lift! Down again!

Down a flight of stairs so steep it seemed more like a vertical ladder. No way to fly headfirst.

Feetfirst, wings awkwardly held aloft to resist smashing to the ground …

<Ow.>

Misjudged the distance between my body and the rapidly approaching floor. Struggled back to my feet. Struggled back into the air. Almost didn’t make it …

<Down again!> Jake shouted.

Down to the third deck, two decks below the main hangar deck.

Sailors! Behind us, coming at us from all directions, smacking at the air, pounding down the ladders! Alarms shrieking!

“Come on! We’ve got to get them before they do something stupid like fly into the air conditioning plant!”

“Or poop all over the place!”

This gave Rachel an idea.

“Ew! Ewewew!”

Fwooosh!

<In here!>

An open door! Maybe a place to land and demorph!

“Shut the door! Lock them in!”

<Out, out, out!>

Clearly the ship’s post office was not a safe place for seagulls.

<Jake, buddy, I’m wiped!>

We flapped past emergency diesel generators.

Past a bank of satellite phones.

Unfortunately, a number of personnel were using the phones. Several of them screamed.

Finally …

<The laundry. In here!>

Clumsily the six of us tore into the ship’s laundry. The room was very large and hot and steamy. And, except for one sailor intent upon stuffing dirty clothing into a massive machine at one end of the room, empty.

Prince Jake did not have to tell us what to do.

<Innis 226!>

"Yes, Visser?>

<I need you to dress as a sailor and travel to a human aircraft carrier to carry out certain tasks>

"Visser, you know my host is an educator. He has no experience in military matters. Besides, there's a meeting of The Sharing where we expect to get a US Senator....."

<I know all this, fool! Carry out my orders!>