Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sigher posted:

I'm honestly surprised that John Carpenter hasn't tried to get another game made with the property considering how big of a gamer, and pothead, he is.

Gone are the heyday where every movie had its own lovely platformer on the SNES that could be churned out in 8 months.
I would guess movie licenses are just horribly high and not worth it for game makers these days to invest in, especially if it takes 2+ years to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

happyhippy posted:

Gone are the heyday where every movie had its own lovely platformer on the SNES that could be churned out in 8 months.
I would guess movie licenses are just horribly high and not worth it for game makers these days to invest in, especially if it takes 2+ years to make.

Yeah no one's going to make a big $$$ single player game today that's both Actually Good and is also licensed. And think of the licensing if you're making an online/ongoing game.

The cash-in licensed game has moved on entirely to mobile gatcha/extreme ripoff trash games that get discontinued a few years after they come out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm aware, but I would think that John Carpenter has enough weight to get some poo poo moving but he probably doesn't give a gently caress either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The PS2 The Thing game was loving great except they somehow broke the very central mechanic of how it was supposed to actually work and the main thing that was supposed to be the hook and drive the gameplay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I'm aware, but I would think that John Carpenter has enough weight to get some poo poo moving but he probably doesn't give a gently caress either.

By the late 90s Carpenter didn't have enough weight to get movies made so I doubt he moves the needle in the video game world in 2022.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

The PS2 The Thing game was loving great except they somehow broke the very central mechanic of how it was supposed to actually work and the main thing that was supposed to be the hook and drive the gameplay.

It didn't hold up very well on replay, but many games also don't either. As a first time experience, it was a fun action-horror romp.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

He's said he has no real interest in working anymore too because working is hard and he has the option to just play video games and smoke weed instead all day which he'd much rather do. The golden path.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BiggerBoat posted:

"Anyone could be a Thing. You can't watch everyone all the time - you'll never know who might turn, or when!"
[NPC who has been in your sightline the entire time and who tested negative for Thinginess just ten seconds prior turns into a Thing the moment you take one step past an invisible line]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

"Anyone could be a Thing. You can't watch everyone all the time - you'll never know who might turn, or when!"
[NPC who has been in your sightline the entire time and who tested negative for Thinginess just ten seconds prior turns into a Thing the moment you take one step past an invisible line]

They covered their rear end by adding the "or when!" to the end of that tutorial tip. :D

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Payndz posted:

On top of that, he was chained to a chair and I'd just administered a blood test.

I get that the game needed a certain amount of scripted elements to keep it moving but there were probably 100 different ways to still do that without making the items in your inventory and the trust meter basically mean nothing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Am I opening a big can of worms by asking if the blood test in the original film was flawed? I'm due for a rewatch but I seem to remember it catches one Thing but completely misses another.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Am I opening a big can of worms by asking if the blood test in the original film was flawed? I'm due for a rewatch but I seem to remember it catches one Thing but completely misses another.

Also Kurt Russell visibly reacts to the thing popping out of the blood before it actually pops out. :D

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don’t they cut everyone with the same blade? I’m assuming anyone who was in line after the thing was hosed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

On top of that, he was chained to a chair and I'd just administered a blood test.

I get that the game needed a certain amount of scripted elements to keep it moving but there were probably 100 different ways to still do that without making the items in your inventory and the trust meter basically mean nothing.

The original concept for the game was that it would work as it was advertised, NPCs could be infected due to contact with Things, and NPCs would stop trusting you if you left them alone long enough. That incentivized the player to use blood tests on NPCs and themselves. The problem was twofold, however:

On a long enough time frame, every NPC either got infected and turned on you, or lost trust in you and turned on you, meaning the wise move for the player was to execute all NPCs on sight and not even risk it.

They couldn’t get the AI balanced right to make the system work, and with development time running out (as they wanted to get the game in stores for the movie’s 20th anniversary), they basically had to scrap it and go to the largely-scripted scheme we ended up with. The old code for the intended AI trust/infection system actually is present in the game and some intrepid PC modders figured out how to enable it with some hex editing, but apparently it renders the game unwinnable.

It’s really a case of the developers having a cool idea and just not having the tech or the time to fully realize it, which is unfortunate.

There was even a sequel planned, but it got scrapped early in development - all that remains are some Thing-out animations and concept art.

Mister Speaker posted:

Nope, Palmer was the only Thing at the time of the blood test. Childs, Macready, Windows, Garry, and Nauls were all genuinely human at the time of the test; Palmer-Thing kills Windows, Blair (a Thing) kills Garry and Nauls, and Mac and Childs are left at the end.

The Peter Watts short story that recontextualizes the movie from the perspective of the Thing retcons it so the test gives back false negatives (Childs, Copper, and Clark are all apparently Things) and it’s one of the main reasons I don’t care for the short story.

ruddiger posted:

Don’t they cut everyone with the same blade? I’m assuming anyone who was in line after the thing was hosed.

They do, but we see them wiping off the blade between cuts so they were at least cognizant of the risk.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 16, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

The Peter Watts short story that recontextualizes the movie from the perspective of the Thing retcons it so the test gives back false negatives (Childs, Copper, and Clark are all apparently Things) and it’s one of the main reasons I don’t care for the short story.

They do, but we see them wiping off the blade between cuts so they were at least cognizant of the risk.

Ah thank you, the short story was what I was conflating with detail from the movie. I do quite like that story, if only for the bone-chilling last line.

WRT sterilizing the knife, on one hand I wish the film had a bit more exposition than that single computer simulation, as to just how virulent the Thing cells are. Are we to believe that a couple of cells on an improperly-sterilized scalpel can take over a person completely, and if so on what sort of timeframe? We know that even a dog-Thing or Norris-Thing needs some time alone with a victim to fully assimilate them, and nobody gets symptomatic from the flu, for example, within seconds. On the other hand, it's definitely better left to the imagination and if the Thing cells truly are that insidious, the sheer horror is tenfold; what must that feel like to have a small clump of cells just assimilate your whole body and kill your mind within a few hours?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust_Polar_Survival/

A sort of modern version of the Thing game, but its more SCP anomalies than Thing alien.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

We only see Windows wiping it on his pants, so that would gently caress the testing up regardless, everything would have been contaminated. Also, the test doesn't even make sense in the first place, if Palmer's blood would react to the heat so should he when he's being cut,

happyhippy posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust_Polar_Survival/

A sort of modern version of the Thing game, but its more SCP anomalies than Thing alien.

This really is nothing like The Thing outside of the setting, it's also tedious as all hell because the RNG is complete horseshit and dealing with the anomalies is just miserable. It's less The Thing and more The Sims: Winter Survival.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

We only see Windows wiping it on his pants, so that would gently caress the testing up regardless, everything would have been contaminated. Also, the test doesn't even make sense in the first place, if Palmer's blood would react to the heat so should he when he's being cut,
I disagree, merely getting injured isn’t enough to make someone Thing-out, I’m guessing Palmer wouldn’t have lost his mind and turned into a tentacle-monster if he stubbed his toe or something (although it’s a funny image).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I disagree, merely getting injured isn’t enough to make someone Thing-out, I’m guessing Palmer wouldn’t have lost his mind and turned into a tentacle-monster if he stubbed his toe or something (although it’s a funny image).

This makes me want a comedy version of the movie where they learn about the blood test early on but everyone keeps tripping/falling in such a way that they get some huge cut so everyone's blood keeps getting on everyone else over and over again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/robag88/playlists

There's a lot of discussion about what it takes to turn you into a Thing, and the above channel is good. His The Shining is the best, he has some Alien ones too if you want to check it out.

For example, Dr Blair touches the Thing with his rubber tipped pencil. Then we see him touch the pencil to his mouth.
Now was that the start? It must be as he dug a tunnel and was building a space ship in that time still in human form, as we see him at the end.
Thats the great thing about the movie, so many questions.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

On the commentary track with Carpenter and Russell (which you should give a listen to if you’ve never heard it) I think I remember them saying that on set, they never really figured out entirely who was/wasn’t a thing, and order of infection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrMojok posted:

On the commentary track with Carpenter and Russell (which you should give a listen to if you’ve never heard it) I think I remember them saying that on set, they never really figured out entirely who was/wasn’t a thing, and order of infection.

They do yeah, a huge strength of the movie honestly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/robag88/playlists

There's a lot of discussion about what it takes to turn you into a Thing, and the above channel is good. His The Shining is the best, he has some Alien ones too if you want to check it out.

For example, Dr Blair touches the Thing with his rubber tipped pencil. Then we see him touch the pencil to his mouth.
Now was that the start? It must be as he dug a tunnel and was building a space ship in that time still in human form, as we see him at the end.
Thats the great thing about the movie, so many questions.
He was so isolated one of the other things could have infected him at any time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I’m of the opinion that the infamous shadow on the wall when the dog-Thing goes down the hall is Norris. I say this because Palmer and Childs share a room and we see them alone together watching TV and Childs doesn’t get mugged, implying Palmer is human at that point, and then when Palmer, Mac, and Norris fly out to the UFO Palmer and Norris don’t immediately mug Mac, which means either Palmer or Norris is human at that point.

Splicer posted:

He was so isolated one of the other things could have infected him at any time.

Also this, I figured Norris or Palmer got him when he was in the shack.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Best guesses at Blair-Thing's endgame with the little flying saucer? Do discrete, ambulatory Things communicate with one another, whether by meeting (I think the fanfic suggests this angle) or psychically? Assuming Blair-Thing finished its little ship, do the Things have a little huddle, turn into a bunch of biomass and get in the cockpit, to say "gently caress this cold world" and peace out? Somehow I don't think a tiny flying saucer made of helicopter parts is exactly spacefaring, and it's much more likely that the Thing's motivation at that point would be to spread to whatever civilization it deduced exists on this world and consume it all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Somehow I don't think a tiny flying saucer made of helicopter parts is exactly spacefaring
If I remember right, isn’t that how the Thing gets defeated in the original 1938 short story? I think it builds a UFO and the characters are like “OH gently caress” and then the Thing tries to fly it and it crashes and dies and the characters are like “well that was fortunate”.

Edit— fact-checked myself on Wikipedia, I was mistaken. I’m not sure what I was remembering.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always assumed there were some of the original ship parts involved somehow though there wasn't really a point where any of it was taken back with them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I love Windows' panicked "It's Bennings!" A line that would have just meant "something's going on with Bennings" in any other context, suddenly has this weight and immediacy to it.

And the whole crew standing around Bennings-Thing, looking perplexed - there are a few of these panning shots in the film actually, of the whole crew just pondering in fear these sights that nobody has ever witnessed.

Morricone's score rules too. No composer would have done it better in 1982.

This movie rules.

EDIT: I don't actually think that Blair was assimilated before Bennings, he's just legitimately acting out before they restrain him. He understands the Thing before anyone else, and he's strongly motivated to ensure it never gets out. Why would a Thing wearing his face be so thorough to destroy the dogs, the escape routes, the radio equipment? It's such a good plot turn, still so ambiguous but I don't think the Thing would need to operate on so many levels, if that makes sense.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 17, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i would play the lovely licensed Thing game on the SNES

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: I don't actually think that Blair was assimilated before Bennings, he's just legitimately acting out before they restrain him. He understands the Thing before anyone else, and he's strongly motivated to ensure it never gets out. Why would a Thing wearing his face be so thorough to destroy the dogs, the escape routes, the radio equipment? It's such a good plot turn, still so ambiguous but I don't think the Thing would need to operate on so many levels, if that makes sense.

i have always believed that blair's food was tampered with and he was assimilated that way

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I figured the saucer wasn’t for going to space, it was just a way to get out of Antarctica. Maybe get to port lockroy or something, go dog mode again and hitch a ride out of the ice, come back later after it assimilated enough people and repair the original ship.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, Bennings' actions are... if not entirely the actions I would have taken, perfectly logical if he's a human. The question is whether he assimilated after being confined or was it some kind of slow burn situation. Bennings had so many opportunities to be infected and so few to infect anyone else that it's unanswerable, and it's unusable as data for answering anything else.

Which is fine! Good, even! This is the kind of question that doesn't need to be answered, because there are so many internally consistent answers. Pick the one you like most for your internal narrative. Or least.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
On the topic of John Carpenter and video games, he contributed music for an old PS1 game called The Sentinel Returns that's great.

https://youtu.be/9I7p1ANu_j8

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 17, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

From the Horror Games thread, apparently there's a new Alien/s game rumored to be announced soon, apparently it'll support VR: https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23219360/aliens-game-survios-vr-announcement

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sigher posted:

From the Horror Games thread, apparently there's a new Alien/s game rumored to be announced soon, apparently it'll support VR: https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23219360/aliens-game-survios-vr-announcement
An "untold Aliens story" about a "battle-hardened veteran who has a vendetta against the Xenomorphs", set... before Aliens? :Brett: riiiiiight.

Still, based on the demos I've seen for Unreal Engine 5, at least it should look amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Payndz posted:

An "untold Aliens story" about a "battle-hardened veteran who has a vendetta against the Xenomorphs", set... before Aliens? :Brett: riiiiiight.

Still, based on the demos I've seen for Unreal Engine 5, at least it should look amazing.

What I want is another game explaining how Hicks actually survived in a way that could be set to Benny Hill.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sodomy Hussein posted:

What I want is another game explaining how Hicks actually survived in a way that could be set to Benny Hill.
I want games and movies where they just launch off Aliens and ignore 3.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Splicer posted:

I want games and movies where they just launch off Aliens and ignore 3.

It’s called colon marines. You can have that nonsense.

I’ll stick with them being dead as hell forever

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
First 30 seconds is a new ad for PREY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYr0lWvep0

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Concept: Aliens but the vietnam subtext is just text. Colonial marines go down to take back a planet from colonists who have been uprising. The ensuing chaos unleashes facehuggers from a Weyland-Yutani research site that the locals were steering clear of after it got abandoned during the uprising. The xenomorphs quickly convert all involved until the orbiting marine ship cuts their losses and leaves them all to die.