Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It definitely throws the sliding timescale a bit for a loop. Are we supposed to imagine that they've colonized Mars for a whole year now? If we look at the actual stories that have been happening on that planet, it feels more like they barely just set foot there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, even when Claremont was trying to actually show that time has passed, he'd only do a Christmas issue every other year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I read the Gala issue as an intentionally-expository book meant to explain what's been going on the last year or so, instead of last year's "this is where we're going the next year" intent. And it came off as weak to me (boomer-rear end music references aside). I'd argue they wanted this to be a jumping-on point for new readers but LOL at new readers.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Finally decided on dropping Marauders. I just don't see the point of introducing an ancient mutant society that existed before humans evolved. Muddies the whole "next step in evolution' that's supposed to be the whole point of the mutants. And assuming the team is successful in rescuing them via time travel, do we really need another mutant sub-culture when the Arakki are still settling in? Also really tired of the book clearly explaining something in panels, only to then to repeat the same information in a data page.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the supposed great tragedy that the shi'ar were concealing is that they got fuckin' wrekt twice by prehistoric mutants and then when they came back for a third try the prehistoric mutant society had already died out. it's stupid. the shi'ar get their asses beat all the time!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

It definitely throws the sliding timescale a bit for a loop. Are we supposed to imagine that they've colonized Mars for a whole year now? If we look at the actual stories that have been happening on that planet, it feels more like they barely just set foot there.

Isn't the sliding timescale like 4 real years:1 Marvel year? Which would line up with it being a seasonal gala.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

Finally decided on dropping Marauders. I just don't see the point of introducing an ancient mutant society that existed before humans evolved. Muddies the whole "next step in evolution' that's supposed to be the whole point of the mutants. And assuming the team is successful in rescuing them via time travel, do we really need another mutant sub-culture when the Arakki are still settling in? Also really tired of the book clearly explaining something in panels, only to then to repeat the same information in a data page.
Maybe the next issue has it turn out this is just the Krakoan version of those guys that make maps insisting that half of asia was once under the sway of an ancient empire seated in korea.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ya it's strange reading Marauders because I still like the cast a lot but you can feel just how little this story will matter. I'd bet it won't even come up in Judgment Day.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I really like where the X-men Books are going overall. I couldn’t care less about marauders. There’s an ancient mutant race that we’re supposed to care about? It comes out of nowhere and doesn’t fit with anything else. And if it does fit then I don’t care

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the supposed great tragedy that the shi'ar were concealing is that they got fuckin' wrekt twice by prehistoric mutants and then when they came back for a third try the prehistoric mutant society had already died out. it's stupid. the shi'ar get their asses beat all the time!

They got thrashed by five dudes in this case. I wouldn't want anyone knowing that either.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mameluke posted:

Ya it's strange reading Marauders because I still like the cast a lot but you can feel just how little this story will matter. I'd bet it won't even come up in Judgment Day.

I'm kinda annoyed that we lost x-factor for this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Adder Moray posted:

They got thrashed by five dudes in this case. I wouldn't want anyone knowing that either.

it is cool that Mutant combos seem to scale to infinity, it opens up cosmic stories with relatively weak characters

also I just now came to terms with the Mutants = Deviants clusterfuck, because the resolution has to be that they are also part Eternals (because they function like parts of a mechanism, echoing the Eternal's Machine)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they once got taken out by a single mutant (who never died)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Drakyn posted:

those guys that make maps insisting that half of asia was once under the sway of an ancient empire seated in korea.

Wut

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/anglo_confucius/status/1459155106927190042?s=20&t=FPaZN0T0sD8rViEAdjhSWg
They are not common, but by god they are ambitious.

Next Shi'ar storyline reveals that once they were taken out just by imagining a mutant and dropping dead out of panic. Poor Shi'ar: thought of mutants and died.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I really like where the X-men Books are going overall. I couldn’t care less about marauders. There’s an ancient mutant race that we’re supposed to care about? It comes out of nowhere and doesn’t fit with anything else. And if it does fit then I don’t care

I think this idea of an ancient mutant splinter community would be a lot cooler if that isn’t literally the Arakii

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, there was also that other time they were taken down by a mutant when cassandra nova stole xavier's body. i think there might have been a time in the 90's when evil xavier took down the empire yet again, as well?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Marvel Intergalactic Community is generally stronger as a whole than the sum of it's individual parts, but the Shiar really don't have anything going for them other than cool hair and Gladiator being purple Superman

only perverts think erik the red is cool

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is there an in universe reason that Cyclops dressed up as Eric the Red before any of the X-Men had ever met him?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey since they tied Darkhawk to the Shiar that's one cool thing they have. Also the Imperial Guard has a bunch of cool members.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also I just now came to terms with the Mutants = Deviants clusterfuck, because the resolution has to be that they are also part Eternals (because they function like parts of a mechanism, echoing the Eternal's Machine)

They make it really clear in the Eternals books that Mutants aren't actually any more Deviant than most modern lifeforms on earth, as it seems Deviant DNA is a major key to evolution in general. Druig just picked them as a convenient boogie man for his own political machinations because it's technically true.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Man, it's so annoying that the Five got passed on for cool gala outfits again. You'd think Jumbo would go all out for the people he owes his second life to. I wanna see a tricked out Goldballs already, dammit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Hellions were never invited back. :(

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

And they pretend that never happened too.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

glitchwraith posted:

I'm more irritated that its the first X book I've read more than an issue of since Morrison run and the character I was reading it for is obviously Kitty who died quick and pointlessly and thus I'm left with a group of characters I do not give two single farts about as 2 of them I know of and the rest I don't nor do I really want to and the book doesn't really seem interested in giving me any time to get to know them outside of LOOK AT GROSS EVIL GRANNY.

I mean its obvious its gonna be time travel fixed within 2 issues or so given an entire page being about time travel and possibly the closest I get to knowing anything about any of these new to me knobheads are and all.

The question is if its worth another 4 to 8 bucks to find out. The art is nice enough I guess?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

I'm more irritated that its the first X book I've read more than an issue of since Morrison run and the character I was reading it for is obviously Kitty who died quick and pointlessly and thus I'm left with a group of characters I do not give two single farts about as 2 of them I know of and the rest I don't nor do I really want to and the book doesn't really seem interested in giving me any time to get to know them outside of LOOK AT GROSS EVIL GRANNY.

I mean its obvious its gonna be time travel fixed within 2 issues or so given an entire page being about time travel and possibly the closest I get to knowing anything about any of these new to me knobheads are and all.

The question is if its worth another 4 to 8 bucks to find out. The art is nice enough I guess?

Yeah, deaths in the Krakoan age are already not that big of a deal, so seeing it used here to write out Kitty temporarily is especially annoying given how big of a selling point she was for the previous run. Especially when they immediately bring up how Bishop probably would have survived the blast with a more interesting consequence as the worst case scenario. For me though, the cast was something I was eager to be sold on. Tempo seems like a severely underutilized character, I liked what was going on with Daken and Aurora in X-Factor and Psylock in Hellions, Somnus has a unique power set and background, and Cassandra Nova was a crazy enough addition to possibly work. But none of them have enough screen-time to justify their inclusion with the exception of Nova (who now that I think about it, is likely going to be the actual cause of the ancient mutants suddenly dying out.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Captain Rufus posted:

I'm more irritated that its the first X book I've read more than an issue of since Morrison run and the character I was reading it for

Wait, you picked this volume of Marauders for Kitty instead of the previous one (by Gerry Duggan) where she's front and center the main character and focus of the story? You probably should check that one first!

And Hellions by Zeb Wells.

And Immortal X-Men by Kieron Gillen.

And X-Factor by Leah Williams.

And SWORD + X-Men Red by Al Ewing.

And Sabertooth by LaValle.

And even New Mutants by Vita Ayala, which has had a bunch of great moments. Same for Way of X / Legion of X by Spurrier.

The point is, there's a ton of better current gen X-Men books than this bollocks by Steve Orlando.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 18, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men itself is great too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
After this week's books, I'm getting the feeling that the Krakoa era is, if not entering the end stage, going to have a major shake up.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Was the "everyone wants to play around with the new status quo in Krakoa" statement by Hickman a big fake out?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think the Krakoa Era is ending, but I do think we'll see the Quiet Council come to an end.

Here's Firestar's new costume:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think the Krakoa Era is ending, but I do think we'll see the Quiet Council come to an end.

I like it. Certainly better than the bland monochrome one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I personally, want it to keep going. But something is going make the status quo change. Too many storylines are all pointing at upheaval

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Honestly one of the strengths of Krakoa is that you can have a lot of upheaval without doing another tired rear end "Someone blew up the school" storyline

Replace the entire council
Abolish the council
Democratic Elections
Another fighting tournament to decide who gets to lead
The Five are in charge now
Interim government run by Arakko
Interim government run entirely by Sinister clones

etc etc

Expanding the premise of assorted mutant books to deal with mutant homeland shenannigans also gives the books that aren't classic "Mutant superheroes fighting to save a world that hates and fears them" more options, although I would argue they haven't been doing a great job with that lately (specifically Excalibur/Knights and Marauders 2nd run).

seriously who gives a poo poo about otherworld how many nexuses of reality does there need to be and can someone please give saturnyne some sort of visual trait to distinguish her from emma

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

OnimaruXLR posted:

seriously who gives a poo poo about otherworld how many nexuses of reality does there need to be and can someone please give saturnyne some sort of visual trait to distinguish her from emma

Thank you!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's okay, it I think I like her 90s redesign a hair bit better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's funny because they were pretty visually distinct back in the late 80s/early 90s comics. Mostly because Saturnyne wore slinky but full-cover dresses while Emma dressed like a dominatrix at all times. Saturnyne also had more of a wave in her hair.

The real secret was that they were not in the same books and at the time Excalibur and X-Men were way further apart.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Nessus posted:

It's funny because they were pretty visually distinct back in the late 80s/early 90s comics. Mostly because Saturnyne wore slinky but full-cover dresses while Emma dressed like a dominatrix at all times. Saturnyne also had more of a wave in her hair.

The real secret was that they were not in the same books and at the time Excalibur and X-Men were way further apart.

I've also heard that in her early appearances Saturnyne was depicted with more white-ish hair.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

glitchwraith posted:

I've also heard that in her early appearances Saturnyne was depicted with more white-ish hair.

She was absolutely more of a platinum blonde early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I don't like it without the mask. Like, I get that they're trying to make visual reference to it with the flaming mode or whatever, but I just don't care for it