Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If you're playing each level one time in hitman you gotta be missing like, 90% of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

juicefest posted:

Edit: in context you were talking about map unlocks and yes, your point stands since I don't think you can unlock map stuff through the special missions.
you can you just can't do any of the challenges that specifically refer to story targets, which is often the bulk of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I too enjoy doing the same thing over and over again to get a new way to do that same thing slightly differently.

grinding in rpgs to unlock new skills or whatever can be fun!
metaprogression is basically the same thing

the trouble is when you combine a "numbers go up" grind-to-get-stronger game with a "gitgud" game
those two philosphies aren't very compatible and having high amounts of metaprogression in a game that feels like it's supposed to be skill based kinda sucks, depending on implementation

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Foul Fowl posted:

it is the most popular and beloved soulsgame you son of a bitch
I didn't like Dark Souls 2, but I also played it on release, pre-patch, pre-Scholar of the First Sin, which is apparently the version everyone talks about these days; and while it's possible that game fixed all my problems (doubtful), that ship has sailed and I've already moved on.

The best Souls sequels aren't numbered.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
your loss tbh, the DS2 DLCs are the best souls content ever made and the rest of the game is at least better than 1.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Usually an enemy type doesn’t follow the exact same scripted path and does nothing against you at all. I like Hitman don’t get me wrong, but each level is a one and done for me and it blows that the fun toys are held back for the 50th time through.

I don't understand one and done with Hitman. Learning the intricacies of the levels and taking the targets down in different ways using that knowledge IS that game IMO. That first hit is just the warmup.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phigs posted:

. Learning the intricacies of the levels and taking the targets down in different ways using that knowledge IS that game IMO. That first hit is just the warmup.

Now the Hitman and Dark Souls discussions are merging.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the adaptability stat alone in dark souls 2 immediately drops that game into dead last when ranked amongst from's other souls games. then you add the lackluster bosses, horrible level design and extremely inconsistent visuals which only further drop it down below to terrible souls-like wannabe tier.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dark Souls 2 is directed by two directors that have never done anything of note before that game and it clearly shows.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm just glad it wasn't Dark Souls 3. Luckily they got better after pushing that one out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

my favorite part in dark souls 2 is the bonfire that is directly next to several ranged enemies that aggro every time you leave the bonfire

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Now the Hitman and Dark Souls discussions are merging.

It's true though. If you kill a target once and move on there is SO MUCH stuff you're missing. It's like if in Dark Souls you could just go down into the cauldron and kill the end boss right from when you first land in Firelink. Like yeah, you beat the game, but you only experienced a tiny fraction of it. Go off and explore the other places and the other things you can do in the game because there's still most of the game out there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

my favorite part in dark souls 2 is the bonfire that is directly next to several ranged enemies that aggro every time you leave the bonfire
I've always been partial to the vendor NPC stranded in a room full of enemies that explode.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is Dead Cells still exclusively being developed for its hardcore audience? I remember enjoying it when it just came out of EA, and when I picked it up a couple years later it felt waaaaaay more difficult. Like they tuned it for the most hardcore of fans.

They did some stuff to make the game more accessible recently.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ShadowMar posted:

the adaptability stat alone in dark souls 2 immediately drops that game into dead last when ranked amongst from's other souls games.

Tell me you can't time your rolls without telling me you can't time your rolls.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The only Souls game I played was 1 and I thought that was fine enough. No one's made a convincing enough case for or against to continue with the others aside from Bloodborne, and that one took me several attempts to get into it until my friend stuck with me and then I ended up getting the platinum for it (it was pretty fun, aside from a few situations).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ShadowMar posted:

the adaptability stat alone in dark souls 2 immediately drops that game into dead last when ranked amongst from's other souls games. then you add the lackluster bosses, horrible level design and extremely inconsistent visuals which only further drop it down below to terrible souls-like wannabe tier.

things real gamers would never say

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood not very good or just makes a bad first impression? After escaping your cell, you have to deactivate a dozen or more supersoldiers one by one. There's no skill involved, you just turn off their power supply when no one's looking and then move on to the next one or to the nearest gate. It's slow and plain boring.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naw it's fairly ploddy all the way through.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Actually it owns but that part is rough.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Dark Souls 2 is probably my favorite Souls game (that just got overtaken by Elden Ring this year) and while the DLCs had some amazing highs they also had some all-time series lows IMO. FromSoft always likes to go more hardcore in the DLC and while I overall enjoyed Dark Souls 1 and 2 DLC, Ringed City was just too sadistic for me to enjoy and finish :shrug: A shame because I really wanted to fight Gael.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

You really don't understand what Hitman games are about. It's not a stealth action game where you shoot a guy in the face and then run away.
It's a puzzle game about manipulating a clockwork mechanism to make different things happen. That's what the unlock system is trying to encourage you to do, because you can only get item progression by triggering different events.

I fully understand what it’s about. I don’t replay puzzle games. Once I can solve the puzzle, what’s the point of proving that I already know how to solve it? It’s not like I charge in and rush the targets either, I learn the map, pick a route, then make the kill. I just don’t do it again and again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ADP and soul memory are both real dumb designs but overall DS2 was a fun game and i liked it
it also had the best pvp of all the darksouls games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I fully understand what it’s about. I don’t replay puzzle games. Once I can solve the puzzle, what’s the point of proving that I already know how to solve it? It’s not like I charge in and rush the targets either, I learn the map, pick a route, then make the kill. I just don’t do it again and again.

It's not a single puzzle. It's a collection of puzzles and you solve the first one you see and call it a day.

"Why would I waste my time doing crossword puzzles when I have already solved one?"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you don't have any interest in interacting with the environments, objects, npc schedules and playing the levels to find out about all of these things to do next time, in the service of finding and executing various elaborate assassinations, then i don't understand why Hitman would be compelling at all. The games probably last like 3-4 hours as action-combat games and none of the "enemies" that will be the main content are designed to be engaging to that degree. It's like you're playing a kind of lovely game that looks pretty nice. Maybe sort of worth it if it's free

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

FishMcCool posted:

Tell me you can't time your rolls without telling me you can't time your rolls.

you can just say "git gud" next time you get mad that someone criticized a video game for having bad design choices

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The greatest video game of all time is of course I Wanna Be The Guy and anyone who disagrees needs to git gud.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

All the dark souls are very good

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/subsetgames/status/1549381443083816961

The patch just dropped. I liked ITB way more than FTL gameplay-wise, even though FTL has a better theme.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Someone make a Hitman Soulslike already, jeez.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Into the Breach is on mobile too now but ugh... its via Netflix

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rinkles posted:

Is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood not very good or just makes a bad first impression? After escaping your cell, you have to deactivate a dozen or more supersoldiers one by one. There's no skill involved, you just turn off their power supply when no one's looking and then move on to the next one or to the nearest gate. It's slow and plain boring.

Wolfenstein's 2014 remake was good but every entry since that was just worse and worse

It's a shame, since the first game proved they knew how to do it well, and then the quality eroded and eroded until we fell off a cliff into repeatable daily quests, microtransactions and having to constantly switch bullet types because this Nazi resists shotgun shells but not SMG rounds for no good reason

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Terminally Bored posted:

The patch just dropped. I liked ITB way more than FTL gameplay-wise, even though FTL has a better theme.

Couldnt get into FTL either, but ITB has some tight design with a "mintue-to-learn/lifetime-to-master" magic that similar games, like Fights in Tight Spaces, cant quite seem to capture. I dont think ive uninstalled the game since i bought it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

On one hand, neat!

On the other, my completion...

:negative:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Rinkles posted:

The first hour is pretty rough, but it picks up. Liked it more than the New Colossus.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

It's not a single puzzle. It's a collection of puzzles and you solve the first one you see and call it a day.

"Why would I waste my time doing crossword puzzles when I have already solved one?"

It’s a single puzzle with many solutions.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
agree to disagree

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hitman is insanely good

I barely ever actually go for the main targets, there's a ton more stuff to do instead. I'm only just getting around to doing SASO and Sniper Assassin challenges lol

ShadowMar posted:

This happened again in Elden Ring but they patched it lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some bloodborne chalice dungeons have bell ringing women that summon infinite spiders that aggro from clear across the dungeon layer. if you go afk by the lantern and the door to the layer has been opened then you’ll lose all your echoes as the spiders path to you from miles away lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Chalice Dungeons were uniformly awful. A lot of the bosses there sucked as well.