Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t hate Scream 3 but it’s easily the worst one and I’ve only ever seen it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If we're being really honest..after the first one they all get progressively worse as you keep going.

Scream 6, coming soon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Naw Scream 2 is on par with the first, possibly a bit better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timothy Olyphant doing the worst stu impression really tanks that movie.

There’s one specific shot where he’s talking while tensing up his neck and it’s the goofiest goddamn thing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve watched all three seasons of Scream.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I actually quite liked the first couple seasons. Then I didn’t make it ten minutes into the rebooted third season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Naw Scream 2 is on par with the first, possibly a bit better.

And it has David Warner AND Laurie Metcalf.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ruddiger posted:

Timothy Olyphant doing the worst stu impression really tanks that movie.

There’s one specific shot where he’s talking while tensing up his neck and it’s the goofiest goddamn thing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve watched all three seasons of Scream.

I'm with you. The reveals in that one are pretty cartoonish.

But solid intro sequence, just not as iconic as Drew...and I for sure owned the scream 2 soundtrack and played it often.

also, don't kill randy, drat

the jam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2xV6xWRus

to bring it full circle, lost highway had an insane soundtrack too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFxMXlZYbo

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 19, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, and it never got an R1 release. Pretty sure the last time Cure had a physical release in the US is an oop disc from 20 years ago.

Ehhhhh technically

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cure-Blu-ray/276905/

:smugbert:

Sorry, yeah, I know what you're getting at.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zer0spunk posted:

If we're being really honest..after the first one they all get progressively worse as you keep going.

Scream 6, coming soon.

4 and 5 were def better than 3.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

Scream 6, coming soon.

2’s great, 4 and 5 and the first two show seasons vary from outright fun to merely having fun parts

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Scream 2 UHD announced! Steelbook as well. I assume the plot of that one it lots of sequel tropes?

There's a couple of meta sequal conversations, but not as much as you'd expect.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
hey folks, thought this thread might be interested - I am downsizing my movie collection by a fair amount (both because I've been less interested in collecting over the past year or two and also find myself with some unexpected costs) and have a bunch of stuff for sale in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007669

I know like every label has had a sale recently but if anyone has any cash left over you'd be doing me a favor

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Most obscure disc I own is probably The Roots of Japan Were Ancient Israel? which I got years ago for free off a weirdo Japanese evangelical's site. It's just a home-brew disc compiling the dude's tv appearances explaining how - get ready - the roots of Japan were ancient Israel. It's buried in a binder somewhere or I'd pull it out and see if his website's still up.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gey muckle mowser posted:

hey folks, thought this thread might be interested - I am downsizing my movie collection by a fair amount (both because I've been less interested in collecting over the past year or two and also find myself with some unexpected costs) and have a bunch of stuff for sale in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007669

I know like every label has had a sale recently but if anyone has any cash left over you'd be doing me a favor

Just poked my head over there and messaged you about two discs. Thanks - I hope whatever fate’s thrown your way passes soon enough.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
pythons meaning of life is officially up for pre-order, which lends more credibility to the rest of the films getting releases too

since it's universal i ended up trying gruv which worked out nicely. they have some uhds up at 2 for 27 and i still needed vertigo and psycho, then they have a 20% off discount (signup20) making all three 13 each shipped. i'm going to assume it won't ship out until meaning of life drops in sept though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

zer0spunk posted:

pythons meaning of life is officially up for pre-order, which lends more credibility to the rest of the films getting releases too

since it's universal i ended up trying gruv which worked out nicely. they have some uhds up at 2 for 27 and i still needed vertigo and psycho, then they have a 20% off discount (signup20) making all three 13 each shipped. i'm going to assume it won't ship out until meaning of life drops in sept though.

gruv has split up my orders when i've ordered in stock and pre-orders in the past

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I decided to give that Andy Milligan box set I was sent by mistake a chance. I watched most of The Rats Are Coming, The Werewolves Are Here. Did not care for it. I can see that there is an appeal, it's very unique and unpolished and joyously gross. But it's not for me.

I guess if anyone wants a good deal on a like new copy of Severin's Andy Milligan box set, DM me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/L0u13/status/1549516093420494848?s=20&t=_KjlQHNWuEWMZDtdDFSKAA

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm not familiar with the third title, but I assume it also revolves around burgers of some sort, yes?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
God told me to get a burger, so that's what I'm gonna do.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

zer0spunk posted:

Those are the same folks who are cool sitting in the first rows of a theater. For some reason, they've convinced themselves that having to move your head around to follow the action for two hours is immersive or something.

I used to have a list of the row/seat number in different theaters that got you dead center middle row so I'm a total dick about this.

I do it because I'm less likely to have anyone sitting next to me or behind me. Sometimes it backfires and some people late to the movie and are naturally distracting throughout sit up front.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just doing some preliminary math today, I have at least $300 worth of horror UHDs that I want for Halloween season :aaa:

Some difficult decisions will have to be made here...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Just doing some preliminary math today, I have at least $300 worth of horror UHDs that I want for Halloween season :aaa:

Some difficult decisions will have to be made here...

you did the math

you did the monster math

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

you did the math

you did the monster math

:golfclap:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cloks posted:

you did the math

you did the monster math
You madman.

Not sure if all the Blus I want for Spooky Season but it’s probably not more than $100, I hope. I for sure want The Fog UHD.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Sonja 4K steelbook from Zavvi came in the mail, steelbook looks good, gonna try and watch the movie this week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The volume of stuff I want this year is just over the top compared to last year. Last year I spent my usual amount of money on The Thing and a few of the Shout Factory Halloween UHDs and that was it. Really there was only one UHD I wanted but decided to pass on, which was Scream.

This year I have like 6 or 7 in the 100% MUST OWN category and then there's another 8 or 10 that I really would love to have but it's like drat I can't spend a month's rent on movies.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I havent really looked at the coming soon list, but my pre-order folder in my primary email is overstuffed with movies and vinyl releases. It's been a big year overall with lots of weird catalog titles coming around.

like who was clamoring for a Trancers UHD release?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I havent really looked at the coming soon list, but my pre-order folder in my primary email is overstuffed with movies and vinyl releases. It's been a big year overall with lots of weird catalog titles coming around.

like who was clamoring for a Trancers UHD release?

Helen Hunt fans aka Huntheads

Basebf555 posted:

The volume of stuff I want this year is just over the top compared to last year. Last year I spent my usual amount of money on The Thing and a few of the Shout Factory Halloween UHDs and that was it. Really there was only one UHD I wanted but decided to pass on, which was Scream.

This year I have like 6 or 7 in the 100% MUST OWN category and then there's another 8 or 10 that I really would love to have but it's like drat I can't spend a month's rent on movies.

unless these are LE things, you would probably do better just waiting for the inevitable sales on all of it. I basically doubled my UHDS when most of them hit 10 bucks in prime sales, and I'm sure i'll do it again in november

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 20, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are some that just don't really go on sale. Shout UHDs do not go down in price. They hover around $25-35.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the majority of the ones I want the most are Shout Factory. Child's Play 1/2, Dog Soldiers, Species, and The Fog.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im going to have to rethink everything next year when the VS subscription restarts. I'm really thinking about doing the year long sub so I dont miss a release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the majority of the ones I want the most are Shout Factory. Child's Play 1/2, Dog Soldiers, Species, and The Fog.

Same except for Species. Child's Play 2 and The Fog would be blind buys. But you guys are saying Child's Play 2 is p fun or whatever, and Carpenter has yet to leave me disappointed, although Escape from NY didn't hit the way I expected it to.

Best Buy's UHD pre-orders are at 72 as of this AM, and while some are double-ups (steelbook vs regular edition) or a re-release or whatever, it's still the highest number ive seen. And that doesn't have the Godfather standalones or others added yet. Definitely the highest numbers I've seen.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The Fog is a stone cold masterpiece. You will not regret that purchase. I bought the Studio Canal 4k back in 2018 when they put out their four Carpenter titles and thought it looked fantastic. I believe the Scream Factory 4ks are the same discs as Studio Canal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean unless you just are completely misunderstanding the type of movie you're buying, you can't be disappointed by The Fog. It's one the best "spooky ghost story told by the campire" movies ever made. Maybe the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean unless you just are completely misunderstanding the type of movie you're buying, you can't be disappointed by The Fog. It's one the best "spooky ghost story told by the campire" movies ever made. Maybe the best.

It's also John Carpenter's victory lap in the slasher genre before moving away from them completely.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
When it comes to shout stuff on UHD I'd probably wait until it comes out. They really poo poo the bed on The Craft, that thing hits single digits at times and looks blocky as poo poo, but the same transfer on the included blu doesn't have the same issues and holds a consistent bitrate. If I can't trust them to check the encoding I won't pre-order any of it anymore. At least pretend one person watches the film after the encoding process but before sending off the master, that's the majority of the point of being a film label

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=785&y=147&d1=17231&d2=17351&s1=192867&s2=192864&l=0&i=0&go=1

scroll down to the bitrate graph at the bottom for an easy visual of what this means

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 20, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Fog is one of Carpenter's movies that's just really fun. You can tell he loves this specific kind of ghost story and it's just dripping with atmosphere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maybe I need to rewatch The Fog because I just didn’t care for it when I watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

im going to have to rethink everything next year when the VS subscription restarts. I'm really thinking about doing the year long sub so I dont miss a release.

:yeshaha:

This really is the way to go. Sadly due to moving about that time I might have to wait for the half-way sale for the first time in 4 years :cry: