Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Real hurthling! posted:

people keep saying you "buy flyscreens" are they temporary?
over here windows just have screens on them all the time everywhere i ever lived

window screens are extremely rare (I don't think I've ever seen any in a home or public building, though I wouldn't rule it out) because windows are designed to operate differently, so fitting a permanent screen would generally require fitting an entire new non-standard window

Enfys has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I just realized that we're technically in La Nina season.

Just how hotter is it gonna be when it's actually El Nino? Lmao

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

window screens are extremely rare (I don't think I've ever seen any in a home or public building, though I wouldn't rule it out) because windows are designed to operate differently, so fitting a permanent screen would generally require fitting an entire new non-standard window

from my experience of american windows (which is limited so don't shoot me if I don't have a comprehensive understanding of window design), the screens are on the outside, fitted as part of the window frame, and then the window slides either horizontally or vertically in a track in the frame so that two panes of a window will be doubled up

here, the most common design is for a window to be pushed open laterally in varying ways depending on the pane

I just went and pulled some pictures of window company websites to show what I mean:

You couldn't fit a screen on the outside of the vast majority of windows here because they are designed to open outward

This is pretty common for a big sitting room window, where a top bit opens out and then the tall sides can also be pushed out similar to the above kitchen window:

Fitting a permanent screen on the inside would require having a different opening mechanism for the window as you wouldn't be able to push them open or pull them closed from the inside

This would be typical of bedroom windows except maybe only one side or the other. My bedroom window is basically the left half only, and one of the other bedrooms has the right half design:

These types of windows are more common in offices and buildings like hospitals:

except a lot of hospital windows you cannot (or are not allowed to) open anyway, so for all the goons chuckling about enjoying a nice summer day please try to imagine working in full PPE gear in a crumbling ancient building with windows you cannot open and no air conditioning when you are acclimated to a mild climate where 20 is a hot day, then going home to an insulated sweat box.

Maybe I'm just a special snowflake, but it really sucks. I was suffering from heat exhaustion by the end of my last shift, and I'm still feeling utterly trashed. If I had to work today, I don't think I would physically be able to handle it.

Anyway, I bought some of these but they are a pain to try to fit and largely useless: https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/building-equipment-and-materials/material-accessories/mesh-insect-window-screen/#352851

Canada has all those windows and they can have screens. Hell I'm sitting in a room with your first example window opened and screened up.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Suplex Liberace posted:

Canada has all those windows and they can have screens. Hell I'm sitting in a room with your first example window opened and screened up.

genuinely curious how it works? I'm assuming yours don't have handles that you push to open or close them as I can't see how you could have a screen with those, but if there's a way to fit actual screens to my windows I am all for it because flies are the bane of my life

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549345259016142848

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549362223889481733

:toot:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

NeonPunk posted:

I just realized that we're technically in La Nina season.

Just how hotter is it gonna be when it's actually El Nino? Lmao

el lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Enfys posted:

from my experience of american windows (which is limited so don't shoot me if I don't have a comprehensive understanding of window design), the screens are on the outside, fitted as part of the window frame, and then the window slides either horizontally or vertically in a track in the frame so that two panes of a window will be doubled up

here, the most common design is for a window to be pushed open laterally in varying ways depending on the pane

I just went and pulled some pictures of window company websites to show what I mean:

You couldn't fit a screen on the outside of the vast majority of windows here because they are designed to open outward

This is pretty common for a big sitting room window, where a top bit opens out and then the tall sides can also be pushed out similar to the above kitchen window:

Fitting a permanent screen on the inside would require having a different opening mechanism for the window as you wouldn't be able to push them open or pull them closed from the inside

This would be typical of bedroom windows except maybe only one side or the other. My bedroom window is basically the left half only, and one of the other bedrooms has the right half design:

These types of windows are more common in offices and buildings like hospitals:

except a lot of hospital windows you cannot (or are not allowed to) open anyway, so for all the goons chuckling about enjoying a nice summer day please try to imagine working in full PPE gear in a crumbling ancient building with windows you cannot open and no air conditioning when you are acclimated to a mild climate where 20 is a hot day, then going home to an insulated sweat box.

Maybe I'm just a special snowflake, but it really sucks. I was suffering from heat exhaustion by the end of my last shift, and I'm still feeling utterly trashed. If I had to work today, I don't think I would physically be able to handle it.

Anyway, I bought some of these but they are a pain to try to fit and largely useless: https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/building-equipment-and-materials/material-accessories/mesh-insect-window-screen/#352851

do people fall out of their casement windows a lot when they open outward?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

genuinely curious how it works? I'm assuming yours don't have handles that you push to open or close them as I can't see how you could have a screen with those, but if there's a way to fit actual screens to my windows I am all for it because flies are the bane of my life

hard to find pictures online but theres hand cranks you use like a old manual car window then the screen just sits in the inner part of the window. it just pops out so you can clean all the gunk that gets stuck in there.

https://images.houseofhepworths.com/2017/08/04/nestingcrank10ad.jpg

if you wanted that you would have to spend money to replace your frames but its doable. most of your example windows look recessed enough that you could employ the the make a screen frame and jam it in method described above. That screen you linked looks horrible i would just buy good quality screen and pin it to the loving wall with tacks or staples.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's wild that Europeans make windows wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got a big casement window put in to make it easier to get out on the fire escape for evacuation or just chilling and i could not have it open outward because its illegal in nyc cause people lean out to open them all the way and fall meanwhile in bonny london town every window is that way

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Do you just never wash your windows that open outward? And are those seriously single pane windows??

Gripweed posted:

It's illegal to call Brits as Europeans after Brexit.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
ITT: Explaining that American casement windows have screens.

Does england/europe just not have mosquitos and moths? How do you not have screens?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Reminds me of those old cars that had the demented doors that opened towards the front, so if your kid opens the door at speed it gets violently pulled back and slams into the body panels.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

stealie72 posted:

ITT: Explaining that American casement windows have screens.

Does england/europe just not have mosquitos and moths? How do you not have screens?

No screens and no air conditioning. Like you'd think if the entire continent doesn't have AC then they'd at least have figured out how to build windows right. What the gently caress is wrong with them?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

i got a big casement window put in to make it easier to get out on the fire escape for evacuation or just chilling and i could not have it open outward because its illegal in nyc cause people lean out to open them all the way and fall meanwhile in bonny london town every window is that way
They need to be like that per regulation. Hurling your window open serves as warning you're about to empty your poo bucket into the street

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gripweed posted:

No screens and no air conditioning. Like you'd think if the entire continent doesn't have AC then they'd at least have figured out how to build windows right. What the gently caress is wrong with them?

They're European

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gripweed posted:

casement windows are superior, they just require good construction and seals to ensure water tightness

american double hung windows don't require such tolerances. they are poo poo. love never being able to open my window fully

(they also allow use of window AC, which is common in old buildings/houses)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

stealie72 posted:

The mosquitos we have are minor nuisances and not potential death so you just smash em and be done with it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gripweed posted:

youre talking about a country that puts an electrical box in the shower to heat the water

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Everything strange about Europe is usually explained by some weird tax or crusade an inbred freak pursued like 500 years ago. In this case it's because glass windows used to be a huge luxury and highly taxed, but the runt pieces and weirdly shaped ones weren't so it was like 300 years of lunatic non-standard shapes and sizes outside of rich people manors and the front windows of big churches.

No screens I dunno, maybe they don't get many mosquitos? Not sure moths would've been a big deal coming in before electric light, but they certainly all deployed mosquito nets and poo poo in their tropical colonies so it wasn't an alien idea or anything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

casement windows are superior, they just require good construction and seals to ensure water tightness

american double hung windows don't require such tolerances. they are poo poo. love never being able to open my window fully

(they also allow use of window AC, which is common in old buildings/houses)

https://twitter.com/tonyhawktruther/status/1549170322695503872?s=20&t=Kf4hFoUki04GN2UFlYVXIQ

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Let me fiddle with two faucets for me warm water. Oi at least I'm not being bloody shot to death in kindergarten ahahaHAHAaha blimey

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

what I’ve learned from this heatwave is that Europe needs to get their poo poo together

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
glad to see it wasn't just america that spent the last few decades ignoring infrastructure

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

today will be an interesting day to see how our worst-case model fares

I remember 117 as the high somewhere in Oklahoma?

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So windows that open outwards are common in Europe, did no one bother to tell them about the crank-open type you can still put a screen on the inside?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

OK baizuo posted:

So windows that open outwards are common in Europe, did no one bother to tell them about the crank-open type you can still put a screen on the inside?

you need to have the frame installed to allow the mechanism to open the window though, as opposed to just hinged windows. it is wild to me that they never updated building codes to at least start adding screened windows with new construction or renovations. its always weird to go into a European restroom and just have flies buzzing around

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Screens n tarps

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

windows without screens are so weird. my screens aren't part of the window or anything, they just kind of hook into the outer frame.

live feed from the place that shows the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1549408270636515330

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1549076534152990721

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My little Windows weather ticker by the taskbar seems to have switched to a stonks tracker lol

edit - changed back just as I mentioned this. I'm onto you computer

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Jul 19, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was only 86 degrees. dude hosed up and overfilled his gas tank causing vapors to ignite supposedly, but they got plenty lambos in 86 degrees no problem around the world i think.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1549398439439605764

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If someone, anyone would mention the humidity along with these temperatures I would have a better understanding of the unpleasantness of this weather event. 40C/104F with low humidity is like dang it sure is hot but with high humidity it's like dang I'm gonna die yo.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jul 19, 2022

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

isn't england just constantly damp year-round

Israel 2
Jul 13, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great Fire of London (Remix)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

C'mon, that's ridiculous. How the hell is the UK already on fire after just 2 days of record heat?

Do they seriously not have any building code for fire resistant materials over there?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shifty Nipples posted:

If someone, anyone would mention the humidity along with these temperatures I would have a better understanding of the unpleasantness of this weather event. 40C/104F with low humidity is like dang it sure is hot but with high humidity it's like dang I'm gonna die yo.

England, known for it's low humidity and lack of moisture.

But seriously, if you don't experience anything like this heat normally and have no real mitigations for it you're gonna have a hard time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

current dewpoint in london is 11C/51F lmao